Burnout Revenge vs. Burnout 3

PawnTakesKing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
How does Burnout Revenge stack up against Burnout 3? I just bought Burnout 3 a week ago and it consumes most of my free time. However, many of the reviews I've read seem to suggest that Burnout Revenge isn't as good. Thoughts?

Wow, big coincidence. I just bought Revenge on Friday and was a real big fan of Burnout 3. I gave away BO3 to my little cousin who just got a PS2 around X-Mas time since I was planning on getting Revenge sooner or later. I accomplished getting all gold medals in all the crash events but never got around to finishing the main story.

After playing Revenge for a while, I have to say the ability to check the traffic in Revenge is awesome, definately a thumbs up. If you love the racing in 3, you'll love it in Revenge. As for the crash events, I have a negative feeling towards the "golf swing meter" that you use to start your car. Basically you have to hit green sweet spots on the meter to start with a boost. You can also blowup or stall if you hit the bad red spots. I felt that feature was pretty pointless. Otherwise the crash events are still fun, now that you don't have huge icons 4x points icons pointing to where you should go.

You'll definately want to pick up Revenge once it hits your price point, I picked it up at Circuit City after pricematchin' Fry's $19.99 sale.

Burnout Revenge is overall a better game than Burnout 3. But there are some disadvantages you should be aware of. The new crash mode is hit or miss, and the menu is a lot more convoluted. There is no longer a single event option, you have to select the event through the story mode, which is odd. Also, there are only really 10 tracks. There are variations, such as short forward, long forward, or reverse. But the good thing is that the tracks have enough alternate routes and ramps to warrant many playthroughs. If you've played Burnout 3 expect to complete all the events in 15 to 20 hours. Not saying the game is bad, its actually really good, just wanted to let you know what to expect.

I got it a week ago for $19.xx shipped pre-owned from ebgames.com. SAVER+CAG15+Edge.

I'd have to agree with everyone else. The game is great. I spent countless hours with 3 and Revenege looks a lot slicker and improves on every aspect. As far as the crash mode boost start that Sway was talking about, I didn't like it at first, but it it grew on me.

Revenge takes a lot of the pulse-pounding, nail biting feeling out of the game. Suddenly, same-way traffic is a non-factor to crashing. 2>3>Revenge

[quote name='daroga']Revenge takes a lot of the pulse-pounding, nail biting feeling out of the game. Suddenly, same-way traffic is a non-factor to crashing. 2>3>Revenge[/QUOTE]

Wow, you'd rate 2 over 3?

IMO, the series didn't get good until Burnout 3, when they started putting a large emphasis on taking out the other drivers.

One thing I have to say about the Burnout series is that it really works in your favor to have a really good TV set. If you have a crappy tv set (like I do), its hard to see the detail in the background especially when you are boosting. This is pretty important IMO

[quote name='Roufuss']Wow, you'd rate 2 over 3?

IMO, the series didn't get good until Burnout 3, when they started putting a large emphasis on taking out the other drivers.[/QUOTE]
The crash mode of 2 was my favorite part of it, and I really didn't like the icons in the 3 Crash mode. 3 is prettier, but I had much more fun with 2.

This was a topic here last year right after I wrapped up Burnout Revenge. I dumped all my opinions onto the page, but never got any feedback. The thread was a day too old, I guess. Anyway, given the chance I'll repost them here, since I still hold them.

11-5-2005:
I've played a ton of every Burnout, and I say Burnout 3 is way better than Revenge. There are just a ton of things about Burnout Revenge that piss me off to no end. I will say that Revenge's crash mode is a lot better than 3, but it sucks that there are so few junctions. I also love the track design. The branching paths, liberal takedown setups, and opportunities for air are awesome. It's all the places they dropped the ball that ruin the game for me.

My Burnout Revenge Gripes:

AI - Holy shit. In the course of a year they managed to turn this game's AI all the way back down to Burnout 1 levels. Even worse, actually. Like Burnout 1, your opponents are always immediately behind you. You can boost an entire race, wreck once, and get passed by the entire field (well, usually one car will stay behind you). No worries though, as you'll be pretty much immediately sprung back to first in a matter of seconds. It might seem like these two things cancel each other out, but what it comes down to is that you don't have to play the game. Try this: start a race, don't boost, don't takedown anyone. Just press the gas, and don't wreck. On the last lap gun it and see how easily you pick up the win.

Speed - When you boost, the game is perfectly fast. But if you ever run out you'll be hating yourself. Not boosting is just plain boring. And since the impact of wrong-lane driving has been seriously diminished in favor of takedowns, running out is a distinct possibility. Consider this scenario - Start the race and take down one opponent to get your boost up, then floor it. If you manage to miss the other cars as you fly past them, you've now got a race ahead of you with 2x boost that will likely run out. When it does, you can hope for one of the AI racers to actually catch up and provide some takedown fodder without your having to wreck first, or you can go the more effective way and just die (see next topic).

Crashbreakers - I actually can't complain too much about these, since they are pretty satisfying and offer a good counter to the crap AI. But damn did they ever mess up the boost system. The best way to gain boot by far is to just wreck and blow everybody up - boom, full boost meter.

Single player - I actually have nothing to complain about here except for the fact that it doesn't exist. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the World Tour (or career? I forgot), I'm talking about the ability to select a track, a mode, and a difficulty level, and then race. If you're playing by your lonesome you’re stuck to the track setups they've laid out. Sound absurd? It is. Now, you may have noticed that I'm not too happy with the gameplay anyway, so perhaps I shouldn't be bothered by this. But damnit, they could have at least given to us for crash mode. Want to try to best your high score? Here's how you do it:

Select one of ten difficulties.
Select a track associated with this difficulty (all tracks are not in each difficulty)
Select a game mode from this track/difficulty (all game modes are not in each track/difficulty)

So yeah. Page through about 50 menus to find the combination you’re looking for, and there's a very good chance it doesn't even exist.

Glitches - These are just annoying. There's a very common glitch where, if you’re fighting other cars, you may get pushed through the geometry. You'll fall into an abyss of nothingness for a while, and then get placed back on the track, most likely in last place. Another one in crash mode causes the game to freeze semi-randomly if you opt to retry after you earned a medal. It requires a restart, but it's avoidable.

All this comes down to...

EA Bashing - I try to enjoy games for what they are, but this game just struck me as EA-ized in every way. It's a game that's made to show you a lot of pretty sights with the illusion of challenge, when in fact it's just pushing you through the doors so you can hurry up and buy next year's installment.

For the record, I've got a 100% completion on Burnout Revenge, including golds in every race. Think golds in every race would be implicit with the hundred percent? It's not. I have not played Burnout Revenge online, so consider all my critiques to be on the single player. Burnout Revenge should be better than B3 online, since B3's implementation was horrible, but Revenge just didn't give me the incentive to try it. Maybe someday. I don't have a 100% in Burnout 3, mostly thanks to Signature Takedowns, but it's been played thoroughly.

____
Back to now - I still haven't put Burnout Revenge back in the system.

I loved Burnout 3 because when it came out there were no other games like it and Revenge only builds on 3 but I just love Burnout 3 too much not to say that it's the better game.

I loved Burnout 3, but didn't really like Revenge. As others have said, being able to crash into traffic took away the fear of having to drive a near perfect race, which was one of Burnout 3's strengths.

I prefered 3 as it took much more skill since you couldn't just ram through all the traffic on your side of the road. Revenge is still fun, just don't switch back and forth between the two games too much.

Funny I just started playing my $8 Walmat copy of Burnout 3 for Xbox this weekend also. I've only played the demo version of Revenge and after playing that first I was like this is ok. When I started playing Burnout 3, I was instantly addicted. I'm sure they both have great gameplay but at this point I'm really liking Burnout 3 more. Another thing I noticed is that it seems that the graphics in Revenge are a bit darker. I like how on Burnout 3 things seem just more brighter and colorful. Maybe it's just me.

bread's done
Back