Buy 2 Get 3rd free from bn

This thread is rather confusing, and so is the website.

Does the B2G1 only apply to those movies listed?

There isn't a place that explains the sale at all.

Am I suppose to get the email for the code and enter it for the B2G1 to work?

This could be a cool sale if I can figure out exactly what it is.

actually if you scroll down to the "Buy 2, Get 3rd Free" section with a picture of Eclipse, there's a little link that says See Details that tells you all about it, pretty much says that any movie that qualifies for the sail will have a Buy 2, Get 3rd free label on its page

It only takes off the cheapest 3rd movie. So even if you buy three of the same movie and do the math, most of the titles worth noting only come down to regular prices. Especially since BN inflates their prices in the first place.

M

[quote name='shiny_dante']actually if you scroll down to the "Buy 2, Get 3rd Free" section with a picture of Eclipse, there's a little link that says See Details that tells you all about it, pretty much says that any movie that qualifies for the sail will have a Buy 2, Get 3rd free label on its page[/QUOTE]

Ah, I was clicking on the link on the top of the page, which keeps redirecting me back to the same page, lol.

Thanks.

This is a solid deal for Criterion films, there are also some coupon codes floating around that can be used on top of this deal.

[quote name='myka22']This is a solid deal for Criterion films, there are also some coupon codes floating around that can be used on top of this deal.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I just posted this one over on the Criterion thread, and then saw it here.

With this sale and a 10% off one item coupon (BNEBATE), I got Cronos, Videodrome, and Robinson Crusoe on Mars for $53.18 before tax. That seems like a pretty good deal to me. Gets a few more titles out of the way now so that I'm not so overwhelmed when the next Criterion sale happens.

Do you guys that buy Criterions actually like/watch the films? Because I was tempted to just collect them for the sole purpose that they're just friggin' aweseome looking sets and would look classy on a collection to themselves, but they're too expensive for me right now.

Which, I could've collected over the years, but often times I'll get obsessive over collecting stuff and it causes me to spend more money than I should.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Do you guys that buy Criterions actually like/watch the films? Because I was tempted to just collect them for the sole purpose that they're just friggin' aweseome looking sets and would look classy on a collection to themselves, but they're too expensive for me right now.

Which, I could've collected over the years, but often times I'll get obsessive over collecting stuff and it causes me to spend more money than I should.[/QUOTE]

I only buy the Criterions that I like so, yeah I watch them. The fact that they look awesome and hold some of their value is secondary to me.

I'm tempted to get a few Kino Blu-Rays off this deal, myself.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Do you guys that buy Criterions actually like/watch the films? Because I was tempted to just collect them for the sole purpose that they're just friggin' aweseome looking sets and would look classy on a collection to themselves, but they're too expensive for me right now.

Which, I could've collected over the years, but often times I'll get obsessive over collecting stuff and it causes me to spend more money than I should.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I usually just get the ones I like. I love Criterion, but my main focus is to collect movies I enjoy, whether Criterion or not. Of course there are many people who are trying to collect every Criterion. They do hold there value well, so if you can get them on sale its usually a safe investment.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Do you guys that buy Criterions actually like/watch the films?[/QUOTE]

lol.

Yes, some people actually like films that involve thins other than explosions and one-liners (although Criterion does offer The Rock, Armageddon, and RoboCop) or wizards and vampires (although Criterion does offer The Magician and Vampyr).

But the short answer is yes, there are many movies from Criterion that are completely watchable even if you aren't a stuffy film snob... and many more if you are.

Would you like a short list of their films that you will probably enjoy?

Ok...

#2 Seven Samurai
#5 The 400 Blows
#47 Insomnia
#52/53 Yojimbo/Sanjuro
#54 For All Mankind
#65 Rushmore
#75 Chasing Amy
#97 Do the Right Thing
#99 Gimme Shelter
#133 The Vanishing
#155 Tokyo Olympiad
#157 The Royal Tenenbaums
#175 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
#247 Slacker
#289 Hoop Dreams
#300 The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
#336 Dazed and Confused
#340 Koko: A Talking Gorilla
#374 Bicycle Thieves
#401 Night on Earth
#453 Chungking Express
#476 The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
#516 Stagecoach
#533 Crumb
#551 Cronos

All of those are pretty fucking accessible... and I left out a bunch that I love, like most of Jim Jarmusch's stuff, Videodrome, and In the Mood for Love... but as you can see, there is a lot there which can be picked up and enjoyed with out being obtuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I mostly buy Criterions I know I'll watch/enjoy. Sometimes I'll do a blind buy on movies that have really high praise and has replay value.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Do you guys that buy Criterions actually like/watch the films?[/QUOTE]

In short, yes.

There's a longer answer to that, of course. I've had a long-standing interest in film, particularly in foreign and independent film, and I've taken a good number of graduate-level film studies classes. Criterion has given me an opportunity to see many of the films that were talked about in my classes and in many of the books on the subject that I've read. They've also brought my attention to many films that I wouldn't have seen, and in some cases wouldn't even have heard of, otherwise. I've found something enjoyable and worthwhile in nearly every Criterion film that I've seen.*

To be fair, Netflix has most of the Criterion films available, and many of them even on instant watch. If you just want to see some of them, that's not a bad way to go. I have a few reasons that I prefer owning them, beyond simply the collecting factor. First, since they're not always what I'm necessarily in the mood to watch, it sometimes takes me a while to get around to watching a Criterion disc when I get it. If I were to get them through Netflix, I'd be sitting on some of them for a long time (and probably end up paying a good bit of what I would pay to own them anyway). Second, Criterion discs usually come with a great deal of worthwhile supplemental material, both on the discs and in the included booklets. I'm not really a fan of special features and such with most regular DVDs and blu-rays, but Criterion's supplements are really worthwhile and can often even help with gaining a better understanding of the films. Obviously, you don't get any of that with instant watch, and you don't get the booklets with disc rental. Also, I don't tend to get around to all of the supplements at once, so owning them means that I can do so at my leisure. Finally, I find that Criterion films tend to have replay value -- usually I find them worth watching multiple times, which is one of my main deciding factors on whether a film is worth owning.

-----

* The big exception, funny enough, is one of the more "accessible" films -- I hated Night of the Hunter. Couldn't find anything redeeming in it, mostly because I was just far too annoyed by all of the preaching that every single character engaged in constantly. I'll probably dig it out and watch it again at some point to give it another chance, but so far, it's the only Criterion purchase that I've actually regretted.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']There's a longer answer to that, of course. I've had a long-standing interest in film, particularly in foreign and independent film, and I've taken a good number of graduate-level film studies classes. Criterion has given me an opportunity to see many of the films that were talked about in my classes and in many of the books on the subject that I've read. They've also brought my attention to many films that I wouldn't have seen, and in some cases wouldn't even have heard of, otherwise. I've found something enjoyable and worthwhile in nearly every Criterion film that I've seen.
[/QUOTE]

What he (and I) failed to mention, however, is that many, many of the movies in the Criterion Collection are extremely divisive... as in you will either love it or hate it.

Take the Wages of Fear for example: many people point to it as an awesome film filled with tension and suspense, while I found it boring as hell... and I, too, have studied film theory so there's more to it than an understanding of film and its composition and processes. Basically you should take a chance to watch some that seem to have topics or subjects (or hell, even actors or locations) that you may be interested in, and find a way to rent them. Many libraries stock Criterions because they are so expensive on an individual basis and not often stocked in traditional rental shops.

Netflix, as was mentioned, is another good place to watch some and see if a given title is for you.

My collection of Criterions is probably in the 20~30 range (many slightly more) , and each one was purchased because they mean something to me... some, like Chungking Express, The 400 Blows, Night on Earth, and Ikiru speak to me on a deep emotional level... some, like The Bicycle Theives, Modern Times, and Videodrome help me appreciate the evolution of certain film techniques... others, like Yojimbo, Rushmore, and Stagecoach are just fun, easy movies to watch. There's really no set standard for the movies in the collection other than that they are high quality films and have some kind of cultural or historical importance.

[quote name='hbkhbk']This might be a silly question, but what the heck is Criterions, and what's so great about them?[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Criterion_Collection

[quote name='zenintrude']What he (and I) failed to mention, however, is that many, many of the movies in the Criterion Collection are extremely divisive... as in you will either love it or hate it.[/QUOTE]

Haha, this is true. Criterion has never been particularly shy about courting controversy -- see their recent release of Antichrist, or their earlier release of Salo, for a couple of the more extreme examples. On the other end, some films, like Last Year at Marienbad, are so abstract that they are by definition an acquired taste -- to the initiated, they're surrealistic and dreamlike; to someone without the background to understand them, they're the most boring and incomprehensible thing imaginable. You should definitely make sure that you have a good idea of what you're in for going in with Criterion releases.

[quote name='arcane93']Salo[/QUOTE]

Basically if you watched "2 Girls, 1 Cup" and thought to yourself, "Ehh, this just isn't repulsive enough for me," perhaps you should give Salo a try.

You will not be left disappointed.

[quote name='zenintrude']Basically if you watched "2 Girls, 1 Cup" and thought to yourself, "Ehh, this just isn't repulsive enough for me," perhaps you should give Salo a try.

You will not be left disappointed.[/QUOTE]

I watched Salo with my brother and his girlfriend. He almost puked, and she refuses to ever watch a movie of my choosing again. Good times.

[quote name='myka22']I watched Salo with my brother and his girlfriend. He almost puked, and she refuses to ever watch a movie of my choosing again. Good times.[/QUOTE]

Another satisfied customer!

[quote name='zenintrude']lol.

Yes, some people actually like films that involve thins other than explosions and one-liners (although Criterion does offer The Rock, Armageddon, and RoboCop) or wizards and vampires (although Criterion does offer The Magician and Vampyr).

But the short answer is yes, there are many movies from Criterion that are completely watchable even if you aren't a stuffy film snob... and many more if you are.

Ok...

#2 Seven Samurai
#5 The 400 Blows
#47 Insomnia
#52/53 Yojimbo/Sanjuro
#54 For All Mankind
#65 Rushmore
#75 Chasing Amy
#97 Do the Right Thing
#99 Gimme Shelter
#133 The Vanishing
#155 Tokyo Olympiad
#247 Slacker
#289 Hoop Dreams
#336 Dazed and Confused
#374 Bicycle Thieves
#401 Night on Earth
#453 Chungking Express
#516 Stagecoach
#533 Crumb
#551 Cronos

All of those are pretty fucking accessible... and I left out a bunch that I love, like most of Jim Jarmusch's stuff, Videodrome, and In the Mood for Love... but as you can see, there is a lot there which can be picked up and enjoyed with out being obtuse.[/QUOTE]

I hate that you took all the time typing that up, but I know what Criterion offers, and I know what they do. I just see a lot of times people go crazy and buy tons of Criterion movies, and honestly some of them don't offer anything of interest to me and I wonder if people actually just buy them as collectibles or really watch some of those films. However, stuff like The Seventh Seal should be given an updated treatment on blu-ray, as the DVD subtitles were hard to read given the film was B&W and the subs were solid white.

And while I do enjoy blockbusters, I enjoy underground stuff, classics, and a lot of the stuff mainstream audiences don't get. I love movies of all kinds and I'm not snooty about it, if someone likes something, then good for them, but if not, so what?

Bergman has some great films on the Criterion list, as does Cronenberg (even though I'm not a huge fan of his work). Heck, I wish David Lynch had've let them properly do Eraserhead instead of just giving us the DVD he did with no chapter skips and one feature that had nothing to do with the film, really. Instead, he just threw the offer back in their face.

Pretty harsh to jump on someone for asking a simple question, eh?

[quote name='zenintrude']Another satisfied customer![/QUOTE]

Do you actually own Tokyo Olympiad? Used copies are going for $100 on Amazon.

[quote name='myka22']Do you actually own Tokyo Olympiad? Used copies are going for $100 on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I own a lot of Criterions, but that list does not represent the ones I own (i.e. I do not own Dazed & Confused for example.)

Let's just say that I don't own a retail release of Tokyo Olympiad, but I have the next best thing. Hopefully some day it comes back in print and it loses its insane price inflation, like Salo did when it was repackaged.

[quote name='zenintrude']lol.

Ok...

#2 Seven Samurai
#5 The 400 Blows
#47 Insomnia
#52/53 Yojimbo/Sanjuro
#54 For All Mankind
#65 Rushmore
#75 Chasing Amy
#97 Do the Right Thing
#99 Gimme Shelter
#133 The Vanishing
#155 Tokyo Olympiad
#247 Slacker
#289 Hoop Dreams
#336 Dazed and Confused
#374 Bicycle Thieves
#401 Night on Earth
#453 Chungking Express
#516 Stagecoach
#533 Crumb
#551 Cronos

All of those are pretty fucking accessible... and I left out a bunch that I love, like most of Jim Jarmusch's stuff, Videodrome, and In the Mood for Love... but as you can see, there is a lot there which can be picked up and enjoyed with out being obtuse.[/QUOTE]

Here are some others:
#112 Play Time
#197 Night and Fog
#523 Night Train to Munich

[quote name='chuckywang']
#112 Play Time
#197 Night and Fog
[/QUOTE]

I love (and own) Playtime, but I would not flat out recommend it to everyone... it takes a person who is willing to play by its own rules in order to enjoy it.

And I also wouldn't recommend a Holocaust doc to the general movie going public... but that's just me.

[quote name='myka22']I have a love/hate relationship with PlayTime. Its a brilliant film, but incredibly boring and distant.[/QUOTE]

It's a 2+ hour, high-brow Mr. Bean episode that super-subtly pokes fun at the [then] modern world. If the idea of that is not appealing, it is not going to work for you.

[quote name='zenintrude']It's a 2+ hour, high-brow Mr. Bean episode that super-subtly pokes fun at the [then] modern world. If the idea of that is not appealing, it is not going to work for you.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is genius how it pokes fun at society, but the whole thing is so weird, it goes on and on. The best part were the posters in the travel bureau of visit this place and visit that place, and everyone is a picture of the same building.

[quote name='myka22']The best part were the posters in the travel bureau of visit this place and visit that place, and everyone is a picture of the same building.[/QUOTE]

That's one of my favorite parts, too :)

The whole first act is awesome: the female tourists, the sea of cubicles, the trade show, etc. I will admit that the restaurant scene goes on a bit too long, but I think the reason for that is that there is SO MUCH going on that they're trying to give you a chance to catch it all. If it were made today, they would assume people would be able to watch it multiple times with ease and have edited that scene down to be much tighter.

[quote name='myka22']I have a love/hate relationship with PlayTime. Its a brilliant film, but incredibly boring and distant.[/QUOTE]

Mon Oncle is much more fun to sit down and watch.

[quote name='battra92']Mon Oncle is much more fun to sit down and watch.[/QUOTE]

Ack... I know this is the one that put Tati on the map, but I found it terrible. For me, it's his worst, even behind Trafic.

Mr Hulot's Holiday is a fun one, simple because it never dwells on any one gag for too long... I like it almost as much as Playtime [Playtime gets the nod because its visuals and production design are beyond insane]

[quote name='zenintrude']Ack... I know this is the one that put Tati on the map, but I found it terrible. For me, it's his worst, even behind Trafic.

Mr Hulot's Holiday is a fun one, simple because it never dwells on any one gag for too long... I like it almost as much as Playtime [Playtime gets the nod because its visuals and production design are beyond insane][/QUOTE]

See I had to pause at the house with eyes gag as I was laughing so hard!

Oh well, back to the sale - I'm still tempted on a few Kinos. Sad that they are almost NEVER on sale anywhere anymore. DDD used to have some great Kino sales back when they were good but not any more. :whistle2:/

[quote name='battra92']
Oh well, back to the sale - I'm still tempted on a few Kinos. Sad that they are almost NEVER on sale anywhere anymore. DDD used to have some great Kino sales back when they were good but not any more. :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]
Yeah- I skipped Criterions due to regular 50% sales and went directly to the Kinos. :D

[quote name='Guerrilla']Yeah- I skipped Criterions due to regular 50% sales and went directly to the Kinos. :D[/QUOTE]

I just wish that Kino would be a little faster about putting out blu-ray editions. Most of the titles in their catalog that I would want aren't on blu-ray yet, but I'm sure that they will be eventually, so I can't justify dropping the cash on the DVDs knowing it's an eventual double-dip. (Come on, Kino, you know you want to get those Tarkovsky titles out on blu-ray already...)

I'll second the recommendation for the Wong Kar-Wai films, though, for anyone that doesn't have them yet. I was lucky enough to grab them when Best Buy had them for $9.99 each, but I haven't seen a deal like that on them since (in hindsight it seems like it must have been a pricing mistake).

[quote name='Guerrilla']Yeah- I skipped Criterions due to regular 50% sales and went directly to the Kinos. :D[/QUOTE]

I wish Metropolis was cheaper. I might just get the three Buster Keaton Blu-Rays or maybe The Black Pirate (Douglas Fairbanks.) What I love about Kino is how they give alternate music tracks on the silent films.

[quote name='battra92']What I love about Kino is how they give alternate music tracks on the silent films.[/QUOTE]

If you like silent film, Criterion does this, too. The Silent Ozu pack is a pretty good starting point and is very watchable.

Ha I saw this at the store and thought hm, maybe something worthwile... Got to the first shelf where I saw The Town for $35, and immediately turned around.:drool:

[quote name='zenintrude']If you like silent film, Criterion does this, too. The Silent Ozu pack is a pretty good starting point and is very watchable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I've been catching them on TCM this month. :D

I ended up getting on BD
The Black Pirate (Douglas Fairbanks film)
Sherlock Jr/The Three Ages
The General (both Buster Keaton Kinos)

I got the three for $61.44 shipped and taxed so not bad at $20.48 each for Kinos. Damn things are never cheap!

Man, when I was a B&N member, I always thought that people who bitched about how bad their non-member shipping is were exaggerating. As a member with the free "express" shipping, I never had an order take longer than three days to arrive, unless something was backordered. But damn . . . my membership expired at the end of November, and now everything is taking forever.

They finally shipped my order, which I placed on the 13th, out on the 17th, from Kentucky through DHL Global Mail. It then proceeded to sit in DHL's Kentucky facility without moving until today. What the hell? Even USPS isn't that slow.

I was going to wait until the next Criterion sale to renew my membership, but at this rate, I'm going to end up doing it by the next time I order from them, just so I get my stuff in a reasonable amount of time.

Well, two thirds of my order shipped today with The Black Pirate and The General on their way to my parents' house. Sherlock Jr. appears to be out of stock and will ship (according to bn.com) in February. :whistle2:/ Oh well, I guess I can wait!

Wow. They cancelled my order for Videodrome. I rolled my eyes because I was positive they pulled a douche move and cancelled my freebie, but nope. It was one of the full price movies, giving me a B1G1 on Cronos and Robinson Crusoe on Mars for 30.XX shipped. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy at the deal I got (although I would have totally traded Robinson Crusoe on Mars to be cancelled in place of Videodrome) but it really makes me wonder WTF is wrong with their website. Just weird, weird cancellations for no apparent reason.

Ouch. I just got my copies of The Black Pirate and The General. No word on Sherlock Jr yet outside of giving me a February 4th ship date.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Wow. They cancelled my order for Videodrome. I rolled my eyes because I was positive they pulled a douche move and cancelled my freebie, but nope. It was one of the full price movies, giving me a B1G1 on Cronos and Robinson Crusoe on Mars for 30.XX shipped. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy at the deal I got (although I would have totally traded Robinson Crusoe on Mars to be cancelled in place of Videodrome) but it really makes me wonder WTF is wrong with their website. Just weird, weird cancellations for no apparent reason.[/QUOTE]

Huh, that's very weird. UPS just dropped off my copy of Cronos, and according to the USPS tracking info, I should be getting my Videodrome and Robinson Crusoe on Mars when the mail is delivered this afternoon. I know that there were a bunch of people complaining about randomly cancelled items during the Criterion sale, but I don't know if there was ever an explanation for it.

Technically, you ended up with a better deal on the two titles with B1G1. ;) But if you really want Videodrome, it might be worth contacting them and asking what happened. It would be interesting to have an explanation, anyway.

Oh, I suppose I can wait on Videodrome until July. But that was one of the few Criterion releases on Blu-Ray I've actually seen before the Criterion release, and know that I love, so it kind of sucks I have to wait until July. Overall, I wouldn't change anything. 30.XX for two Criterions after tax is awesome. :D

[quote name='arcane93']Man, when I was a B&N member, I always thought that people who bitched about how bad their non-member shipping is were exaggerating. As a member with the free "express" shipping, I never had an order take longer than three days to arrive, unless something was backordered. But damn . . . my membership expired at the end of November, and now everything is taking forever.
[/QUOTE]
I'm a member and their "express" member shipping is laughable. Occasionally I'll get my order within 3-4 days, but that usually turns into a week or more. Perhaps their poor inventory system is to blame since I usually get out-of-stock or "pushed back" stock dates on random items, even if said items aren't on sale and aren't popular by any means. :roll:

I love competition in the marketplace, but they need to improve their game if they want to keep up with Amazon.

[quote name='Guerrilla']I'm a member and their "express" member shipping is laughable. Occasionally I'll get my order within 3-4 days, but that usually turns into a week or more. Perhaps their poor inventory system is to blame since I usually get out-of-stock or "pushed back" stock dates on random items, even if said items aren't on sale and aren't popular by any means. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just because I live in a major metropolitan area, and my items always seemed to ship out from fairly nearby warehouses when I was a member, but I never had those problems. The odd thing is that when I was a member, most/all of my orders shipped from either Maryland or, at worst, New Jersey (I'm in Virginia, so both of those are relatively close). I've done a few orders since my membership expired, though, and for some reason they've all shipped from Nevada. It's almost as if they've intentionally started shipping from further away, just so that my non-member free shipping will take longer.

bread's done
Back