Buy 3DS or wait?

proKoyeon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Just wanted to get your opinions on the 3DS. There are a few deals I would like to take advantage of (3DS + Mario / 3DS + Zelda). The only thing I am afraid of is this whole 2 circle pad debacle - is this really that big of an issue? Are they going to release a "3DS 2.0" with 2 sticks? I saw the "Circle Pad Pro" that's coming out and that makes it look really ugly and clunky.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

There will almost certainly be one or more revisions of the 3DS hardware, that's just how Nintendo operates. I guess it's an open question as to whether the redesign will incorporate that second analog stick, but it seems likely as not.

Unless there are some 3DS games that you have a burning desire to play right now, I would definitely hold off. That's true of anything of course, but especially in this case where the system had a bumpy launch and uncertain reception, things seem more up in the air, and major changes could be in the cards. No harm in letting the dust settle.

I would go ahead and buy one if you want to play the games that are already out or the games that are coming out in the next few months. There definitely won't be a revision for at least another year and there will be very few games that require a second analog stick. It's really your decision to make, but if you decide to wait, you will be waiting for a long time.

Black Friday Deals or bust. Either get the Zelda or Mario bundle and you're good to go. I think I'd rather have the Red Mario bundle though, since Mario is a new game.

Go for it, some great games on there, although how good the 3D is varies widely on the games. Virtual console shines on this system, if you don't mind playing games in good ol' black and white. Most of the 3D classics are very good. Xevious, and Twinbee have the best 3D of any game on the system, IMO.

Rabbids is a very good platformer, and if you can't get enough pinball, Williams Hall of Fame is a very fun game, and can be obtained at Toys R Us and Gamestop and Amazon.

I'm waiting as there just aren't enough games yet. The new Mario game is the only one I really want to play that's not a remake. Add in the pretty much guarantee of a 3DS light with two analog sticks down the road and I'll hold off.

I don't know that I'd play it that much anyway. I don't even keep up with games on my 360 and now just re-added a Wii to the mix (mainly because my Live account is still locked while under investigation from being hacked).

So I may never get one and just keep playing some simple games on my iPhone and iPad when traveling.

Bought two for my kids for Christmas. I don't see much point in waiting.

What is the guarantee of two analog sticks? I don't know anything about this. Wasn't this said about the original PSP for years and years (or at least wanted)?

Edit: I just looked and saw some stuff about the 2nd analog stick just being an attachment that slides on.

Yeah, they're putting out an attachment that slides on so the belief is they'll eventually put out a 3DS that has the second stick built in.

I agree it's not worth waiting for if there are enough games you want to play. I passed mainly because there's nothing I really want to play other than the new Mario game. That and I figure another portable system will just gather dust like my DS has for years.

But if you'll play a portable a lot and have enough games to warrant the purchase, then no reason not to buy and just buy the attachment down the road if you end up needing it for games you want to play.

I swear I saw an interview with a Nintendo rep who stated that there will indeed be a 3DS redesign with two thumbsticks. The add-on for the old design will require its own power supply, which I think will be in the form of 2 AA's.

[quote name='Benyamin']I swear I saw an interview with a Nintendo rep who stated that there will indeed be a 3DS redesign with two thumbsticks. [/QUOTE]

No one from Nintendo ever said that

[quote name='Benyamin']I swear I saw an interview with a Nintendo rep who stated that there will indeed be a 3DS redesign with two thumbsticks. The add-on for the old design will require its own power supply, which I think will be in the form of 2 AA's.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='62t']No one from Nintendo ever said that[/QUOTE]

I saw it too, it was in Wombat's Bullshit Quarterly, page 52

It hasn't been said, but if they're making games that require that unwieldy attachment, you can be pretty sure they'll eventually put out a new 3DS model that has it built in. Would be stupid of them not to.

Who knows how long down the road that will be though. So if there are enough games you want right now, no reason not to go ahead and buy IMO.

The boilerplate response I like to give out echos dmaul's: If there are five games you want to play released on the system then go ahead and buy it. Do NOT buy for potential games coming down the pipeline. It almost never works out.

I am waiting for a redesign, personally. It is a certainty at this point - just a matter of when it will release.

This week's Best Buy deal is going to force me to buy a 3ds if I pass my potentially super-hard nav test on Tuesday.

Even if I can't find a Zelda or Mario bundle, I can get the system + 3 games for like 199.99 before tax by buying the system separately and using the giftcard on the games.

[quote name='chakan']I saw it too, it was in Wombat's Bullshit Quarterly, page 52[/QUOTE]
Was that in the November or December issue?

Bought two. One about a few weeks after launch; another one during the ambassador window from Wal*Mart.

Great system, but I feel crazy not knowing what's 3d and what isn't; the 3D isn't always consistent on all games.
:lol:

Mario Kart 7 is fantastic - the best in the series, and Mario 3D land is very good (I've played the demo at Target)

I'd wait until the really good game drop first.

bread's done
Back