Buy 5 Disney Blu-ray combo packs and save 70% on a Sony Blu-ray player

[quote name='Walt Jay']^^ When I entered Alice in Wonderland, it said "1 down, 4 to go" for the offer, so in that case, it worked fine. I just ordered PoP for $10, so it should be here tomorrow or Wed. I'll post what happens. :)[/QUOTE]

Wasn't the $10 PoP not a combo set?

[quote name='Ed_']Lol @ a buddy of mine who doesn't know that I know about this deal. I usually loan him movies when I get them; he usually watches them first on release day and I watch them later in the week. Today he calls me to ask if I bought TS3, which I did so he asked if I had opened it, which I haven't so he asked to borrow it. Lol, nice try but no. He's one code shy of getting the blu-ray player.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound like a friend to me.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Free? How?[/QUOTE]
If you have a measly 8500 DMR points to spare you can now pick it up as a reward without paying any cash (however, depending on how you value a reward point, you may be better off with either spending $80 cash for the player at Disney or even $120 at amazon).

GREAT... I entered my 5 codes and the deal is not yet available.

I just realized that they have the stupid 3D version of A Christmas Carol pictured in the list of 20, instead of the regular Blu/DVD Combo Pack I bought today. Already emailed them and I'm hoping they'll be accommodating since they just use pictures as a list instead of specific descriptions and UPCS/SKUs along with the picture.

Quick update from me. The single-disc PoP wasn't eligible, but I had Toy Story 2 to finish up my 5 required titles.

Did anyone have issues placing their order? During the checkout process, it didn't seem like I ordered the player itself, rather just 50 bonus points for $0.00. Did anyone else get this? I didn't even enter any payment info to cover the $59.99, but when I go back to the Rewards page, it says I already redeemed the offer for the Sony BD player. Weird...

Edit:

This is what I got from Disney via email

tem Quantity Price
---------------------------------------------------------
As a congrats on your new Blu-ray player Disney Movie Rewards is giving you 50 bonus points! 1 $.00
---------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal: $.00
Shipping & Handling: $.00
Tax: $.00
Total: $.00

========================================================

Once again, thanks for your membership - we hope you enjoy your gift!

Sincerely,
Your Friends At Disney Movie Rewards

[quote name='Walt Jay']Quick update from me. The single-disc PoP wasn't eligible, but I had Toy Story 2 to finish up my 5 required titles.

Did anyone have issues placing their order? During the checkout process, it didn't seem like I ordered the player itself, rather just 50 bonus points for $0.00. Did anyone else get this? I didn't even enter any payment info to cover the $59.99, but when I go back to the Rewards page, it says I already redeemed the offer for the Sony BD player. Weird...

Edit:

This is what I got from Disney via email...[/QUOTE]
You probably need to call them to get this sorted out. If I remember correctly, there was an option to "add the player to the order" or something like that and then it would ask for the CC information.

[quote name='Walt Jay']^^ thanks for the info; I'll give them a call.[/QUOTE]

I posted the number like a page or two back if you need it

u need to click to actually add the blu-ray player in your cart. sorta confusing but it's listed on the button.

[quote name='nftsljl']u need to click to actually add the blu-ray player in your cart. sorta confusing but it's listed on the button.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I screwed that up somehow. I called DMR and they're looking into it, as my offer is showing as redeemed, but I never properly checked-out.

FYI, the direct # to Disney Movie Rewards is

866-246-8646

Has anyone successfully used a code for the 3-pack Alice in Wonderland (2010) (BD/DVD/DC) towards this?

Since the one pictured is for the 3D(?) version, I was just curious since I still need one more code and have no interest in purchasing anything else that I haven't already bought/redeemed.

[quote name='major morgan']Has anyone successfully used a code for the 3-pack Alice in Wonderland (2010) (BD/DVD/DC) towards this?

Since the one pictured is for the 3D(?) version, I was just curious since I still need one more code and have no interest in purchasing anything else that I haven't already bought/redeemed.[/QUOTE]

I just used it as my last yesterday.

Update for me.

I talked to Disney Movie Rewards yesterday, and the solution is that they email you a new code that unlocks the offer again. I just checked out, and did it right this time. :) So all is well thanks to DMR's excellent customer service.

[quote name='major morgan']Has anyone successfully used a code for the 3-pack Alice in Wonderland (2010) (BD/DVD/DC) towards this?

Since the one pictured is for the 3D(?) version, I was just curious since I still need one more code and have no interest in purchasing anything else that I haven't already bought/redeemed.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm as well. I am about to get fantasia and that will be my 5th!

[quote name='deluxxxe247']I just used it as my last yesterday.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MotzCTG']I can confirm as well. I am about to get fantasia and that will be my 5th![/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll make that #5 for me. :)

[quote name='vuvu123']Ugh, in CA they charge tax. It was over $80 as a result.[/QUOTE]

Weak. I was just about to bite the bullet on this, but now I'll pass.

$6? I was thinking this was a $60 unit, hadn't considered the shipping cost. Is it really a deal at $80 or would it be better to get a cheaper one down the road. I already have a PS3, just wanted to get a secondary :br: player.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']$6? I was thinking this was a $60 unit, hadn't considered the shipping cost. Is it really a deal at $80 or would it be better to get a cheaper one down the road. I already have a PS3, just wanted to get a secondary :br: player.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it's a lot better than any of the players that you can pick up for $80 in the stores right now (I shopped them last week, looking for one as a Christmas gift -- most of the cheap ones are junk), and even with the shipping and tax it's still around $38 less than Amazon's current price for this model ($118). The biggest real downside to it is the lack of wi-fi. If you need a blu-ray player, and don't care about the wi-fi issue, it's still a great buy even at $80. If you don't need/want a blu-ray player, or $6 in tax is really that big a deal to you, then yeah, you should probably skip it. If you're willing to wait for "down the road", then sure, there will eventually be better players available for cheaper. But if you want one now (and, again, don't care about wi-fi), this is about the best you're going to do.

On the other hand, if you need wi-fi, you're probably better off looking elsewhere, since Sony's wi-fi adapter is around $70. For my gift shopping, I ended up picking up a Samsung BD-C6500, which Walmart had for $138 (not sure if that was Black Friday-specific or not), because wi-fi is a necessity for the person I bought it for, and the Samsung was a better deal than the Sony player and adapter would be.

I don't really get why people are whining about tax, though, or calling it a deal-breaker. It's still a good deal even after the tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Honestly, it's a lot better than any of the players that you can pick up for $80 in the stores right now (I shopped them last week, looking for one as a Christmas gift -- most of the cheap ones are junk), and even with the shipping and tax it's still around $38 less than Amazon's current price for this model ($118). The biggest real downside to it is the lack of wi-fi. If you need a blu-ray player, and don't care about the wi-fi issue, it's still a great buy even at $80. If you don't need/want a blu-ray player, or $6 in tax is really that big a deal to you, then yeah, you should probably skip it. If you're willing to wait for "down the road", then sure, there will eventually be better players available for cheaper. But if you want one now (and, again, don't care about wi-fi), this is about the best you're going to do.

On the other hand, if you need wi-fi, you're probably better off looking elsewhere, since Sony's wi-fi adapter is around $70. For my gift shopping, I ended up picking up a Samsung BD-C6500, which Walmart had for $138 (not sure if that was Black Friday-specific or not), because wi-fi is a necessity for the person I bought it for, and the Samsung was a better deal than the Sony player and adapter would be.

I don't really get why people are whining about tax, though, or calling it a deal-breaker. It's still a good deal even after the tax.[/QUOTE]

It's probably a combination of the tax and shipping. It's what 25% more than the $59.99 price they promote?

[quote name='arcane93']Honestly, it's a lot better than any of the players that you can pick up for $80 in the stores right now (I shopped them last week, looking for one as a Christmas gift -- most of the cheap ones are junk), and even with the shipping and tax it's still around $38 less than Amazon's current price for this model ($118). The biggest real downside to it is the lack of wi-fi. If you need a blu-ray player, and don't care about the wi-fi issue, it's still a great buy even at $80. If you don't need/want a blu-ray player, or $6 in tax is really that big a deal to you, then yeah, you should probably skip it. If you're willing to wait for "down the road", then sure, there will eventually be better players available for cheaper. But if you want one now (and, again, don't care about wi-fi), this is about the best you're going to do.

I don't really get why people are whining about tax, though, or calling it a deal-breaker. It's still a good deal even after the tax.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info...I'll keep it in consideration.

[quote name='Demon Soul']It's probably a combination of the tax and shipping. It's what 25% more than the $59.99 price they promote?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, people need to throw "tax and shipping" as separate costs out of the equation, and look at the overall price including those costs instead. That's one of the things that always amazes me about this site -- you could post the best deal in the world, but throw a shipping charge (or tax, which the seller doesn't even have any control over) on it, and people will automatically be shouting "dealbreaker!" even if it's still a far better deal than they'll find anywhere else.

Ok, I went back and forth-- picked up Fantasia and SA at Target today. They were my fourth and fifth recorded in this time period-- so I went ahead and ordered it. For the price and reading the descriptions, it seems to be a decent enough first BR player. Thanks guys for all of your input. (Reading your reviews is what helped me decide to go ahead.)

I don't really get why people are whining about tax, though, or calling it a deal-breaker. It's still a good deal even after the tax.[/QUOTE]Not everyone needs WiFi for a piece of consumer electronics. All of the items on my entertainment center are hooked into a 16-port Ethernet switch, and those are connected to a PoE adapter (used to be a WiFi bridge) to bridge into the rest of my network. And if it's not in my entertainment center, it'll be next to a TV with a Tivo that's connected to my network via Ethernet + MoCa, so all I'd need would be a switch for that.

I wanted a standalone BD player to either supplement my PS3 for BD titles or put in another room, and I'm covered for the lack of WiFi in this player. Regardless, you only need network connectivity on a BD player for firmware updates (done via USB or CD/DVD as well), BD-Live or 3rd party apps like Netflix, Pandora, VuDu, etc. WiFi isn't an issue for me, though I know I'm in a small minority in this case.

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, people need to throw "tax and shipping" as separate costs out of the equation, and look at the overall price including those costs instead. That's one of the things that always amazes me about this site -- you could post the best deal in the world, but throw a shipping charge (or tax, which the seller doesn't even have any control over) on it, and people will automatically be shouting "dealbreaker!" even if it's still a far better deal than they'll find anywhere else.[/QUOTE]That's usually the issues with Amazon or NewEgg deals when they're in the small number of states that get them to require the tax on the purchases. That, or they're just whiners by nature.

[quote name='shrike4242']Not everyone needs WiFi for a piece of consumer electronics.[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah, that's why I specified that it's a good deal if you don't need wi-fi. ;) For my entertainment system, I'm in a similar situation, my MoCA bridge/router is right next to my TV, so a wired connection isn't a big deal. But I already have a PS3 there, so no big need for another blu-ray player for me. I don't have another TV anywhere else in the house right now, and I'm planning to network the rest of it with a few more MoCA bridges eventually anyway, so I'd be covered if I ever got another.

For my parents (who I was buying the blu-ray player for Christmas for), their router is on a different floor of their house from their entertainment system, and it's not moving, so Wi-Fi is the only option (unless they look at expensive options like cabling the house or power line networking, a little more than I'm willing to get into at this point in time). And Netflix was as big a reason as BD for getting a player for them, so networking is important.

[quote name='shrike4242']That's usually the issues with Amazon or NewEgg deals when they're in the small number of states that get them to require the tax on the purchases. That, or they're just whiners by nature.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mean, I get it for some deals -- with a lot of game/blu-ray/whatever deals, a few dollars for shipping and/or tax can make all the difference. In a case like this where it's still $38 cheaper than Amazon even after those charges . . . Yeah, "whiners" probably sums it up.

I placed my order for mine today. I couldn't help but notice the announcement that they're running low on these players.

[quote name='Ed_']I placed my order for mine today. I couldn't help but notice the announcement that they're running low on these players.[/QUOTE]
Where's the announcement?

edit:

Nevermind, glad I got in on it.

[quote name='Ed_']I placed my order for mine today. I couldn't help but notice the announcement that they're running low on these players.[/QUOTE]

That announcement made me hurry up and buy my fifth movie.

Does anyone know if there is a limit as to how many players you can buy? I would like to add 5 more codes and pick up another player for a gift if possible.

[quote name='Jayrcee']Does anyone know if there is a limit as to how many players you can buy? I would like to add 5 more codes and pick up another player for a gift if possible.[/QUOTE]

You should just make another account.

I ordered on 11-30 with no update. I am really hoping this goes through but not hopeful because the pending charge on my bank account has disappeared.

If you don't have the confirmation, you probably didn't get one... DMR "announced" on their FB page yesterday they were out of stock. They still have my money on hold... Would be nice if they aren't shipping it, I could use that money to buy something else for Christmas...

[quote name='micmonmel']If you don't have the confirmation, you probably didn't get one... DMR "announced" on their FB page yesterday they were out of stock. They still have my money on hold... Would be nice if they aren't shipping it, I could use that money to buy something else for Christmas...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. I ordered this for no real reason. I was planning on giving it away but my buddy already got a player through Fry's. My money's still on hold so we'll see what happens.

So they ran out? Damn it! I bought all the frigging movies just to get this special offer. Any word on them getting more in stock?

[quote name='micmonmel']If you don't have the confirmation, you probably didn't get one... DMR "announced" on their FB page yesterday they were out of stock. They still have my money on hold... Would be nice if they aren't shipping it, I could use that money to buy something else for Christmas...[/QUOTE]I just called them as I wasn't sure where my order from 11/30/10 was at, since I ordered when they said they had "low stock" of the item.

They said that if you have a valid order number from them, you'll get it fulfilled. They've exhausted current stock and have ordered more from Sony, though there's no ETA of when they're getting them and they're not sure when they'll be shipped out.

If you have an order with them, it will get fulfilled. They pulled the promotion when they ran out of stock, so if you haven't ordered by now, you won't be able to get one.

The credit card hold from the order was on the purchasing credit card for 72 hours and then dropped off. Once they get stock to fulfill orders, they'll go ahead and charge the card for the purchase price + tax + shipping.

Phone # to them is 866 246 8646, and you'll need the email address you have your DMR account connected to for them to check status on the order.

Huh. Wonder if they'll re-open the offer once they get more in. It seems like really bad business (or at least extremely poor planning) to tell people that they have until 1/31 to make the necessary purchases for an offer (thus it's possible that people were putting combo-packs away for Christmas, figuring on redeeming it after the holiday), and then run "out of stock" nearly two months earlier. Between that, and leaving out all of the people who had already bought and redeemed codes for most of the titles before the offer dates, this whole thing has been one big clusterfuck.

I don't even really care since I decided not to bother anyway, but it is interesting seeing a company as large and experienced as Disney seemingly doing everything wrong in ways that could cause their promotion to turn people off to them.

[quote name='arcane93']Huh. Wonder if they'll re-open the offer once they get more in. It seems like really bad business (or at least extremely poor planning) to tell people that they have until 1/31 to make the necessary purchases for an offer (thus it's possible that people were putting combo-packs away for Christmas, figuring on redeeming it after the holiday), and then run "out of stock" nearly two months earlier. Between that, and leaving out all of the people who had already bought and redeemed codes for most of the titles before the offer dates, this whole thing has been one big clusterfuck.

I don't even really care since I decided not to bother anyway, but it is interesting seeing a company as large and experienced as Disney seemingly doing everything wrong in ways that could cause their promotion to turn people off to them.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='Vegan']That sucks. The fine print implied that they would substitute a different model if they ran out of this one.[/QUOTE]

This is true as well. I'm going to try to call and ask if they'll be offering any more Blu-ray players to the ones who weren't able to participate in this promotion due to the fact that they were out of stock.

[quote name='Vegan']That sucks. The fine print implied that they would substitute a different model if they ran out of this one.[/QUOTE]

Not true. The fine print just said that the "actual model may vary". But the fine print was very clear that this is on a "while supplies last" basis.

[quote name='thesis88']This is true as well. I'm going to try to call and ask if they'll be offering any more Blu-ray players to the ones who weren't able to participate in this promotion due to the fact that they were out of stock.[/QUOTE]

While you are on the phone with them, please inquire whether they'll be offering any more Blu-ray players to the ones:
1. who weren't able to participate due to the fact that they didn't buy any of the qualifying titles.
2. who are suckers who have no interest in watching any of the qualifying titles and only bought them for this promotion.
3 who already participated but have enough codes to get an additional player.

bread's done
Back