Buy a Summer of Arcade Game, Get The Maw Free

You know, I'd be very wary of this effecting your chances of getting the free game from buying all 5. To get that deal you could very well have to buy all the games through XBL or through XBox.com...

Am I the only one who noticed and is a little irked by the glaring contradictions in the phrasing on their website?

"Bonus: Get arcade game The Maw free with any Summer of Arcade purchase*"

"*Valid for Bastion game only. Limit 5 per customer"

Bastion is not the only game in the Summer of Arcade. If it was for this game only, they should never have put "with any Summer of Arcade purchase".

Bull shit. I bought Bastion like an hour before this post (tho it wouldn't have mattered since I didn't see it till now). That's some major BS.

I hope this applies to From Dust too since I want that game as well...

machinima is the one giving The Maw fore free

Buying Bastion? Get The Maw for Free.

By Lawrence Sonntag | 20 July 2011
We had a long and arduous meeting to decide what to give you guys for being such awesome fans. Someone was dead set on shoelaces, and yet another guy wanted us to distribute packs of potpourri. It came down to a deadlock between promotional toothpicks and scented candles when someone finally suggested we give out a free videogame.
Thus fourteen hours of frenzied argument drew to a close.
So here we have it — if you buy Bastion from this website, you’ll get The Maw for free from your bros at Machinima. No extra cost, no nothing.
If you don’t want Bastion, and really you should, you can just wait until next week. We’re running this promo for every game in the Summer of Arcade, so there has to be at least one you’re excited about.

http://blog.machinima.com/insidegaming/2011/07/20/buying-bastion-get-the-maw-for-free/

It still doesn't state if you need to buy all five games from XBL/XBox.com to get the reward or not... I know that for a lot of their deals it's pretty specific about having to register stuff certain places and buy things certain places.

The Maw is a fun little game, but realistically it's always on sale or part of a giveaway. Being 400MSP retail it's not one of the more expensive XBLA titles, but fun.

Went ahead and took advantage of this. I'm not planning on buying all 5 SoA games anyway so not worried about getting that free game in September.

Anyhoo - I also got my codes and email immediately upon checkout. I have purchased from the Microsoft store in the past so maybe that made a difference? Awesome deal!

[quote name='Cameron4All']Am I the only one who noticed and is a little irked by the glaring contradictions in the phrasing on their website?

"Bonus: Get arcade game The Maw free with any Summer of Arcade purchase*"

"*Valid for Bastion game only. Limit 5 per customer"

Bastion is not the only game in the Summer of Arcade. If it was for this game only, they should never have put "with any Summer of Arcade purchase".[/QUOTE]

I was going to post the same thing you did but read through the thread first to see if anyone else mentioned it. This actually REALLY annoys me.

"FREE Copy of Halo Reach for everyone*!"
*Valid for Bill Gates only.

But it turns out that this promo isn't from Microsoft, but the devs of the Maw. They are giving it away for free with each new release of a Summer of Arcade game. So technically it will be valid for all of them.

If they would have accepted PayPal I would have probably gotten this. Instead, I will just probably wait to pick up Bastion...

[quote name='ooga']Seems like MS is eager to give the Maw away! I've gotten it for free TWICE before this. :)[/QUOTE]Yeah, it seems they like to use this game for promos & such.

I think I'll try the demo for Bastion out & if I like it, then I'll take advantage of this.

Too bad they already gave me this game free. Just sent a code to me in an email a while back. It's pretty good, some fun stuff, very amusing and cool to watch the pet grow.

Perhaps when more of the SoA games come out more games will be in the fine print than bastion. Maybe they just wanted top cover all their bases.

[quote name='eldergias']I was going to post the same thing you did but read through the thread first to see if anyone else mentioned it. This actually REALLY annoys me.

"FREE Copy of Halo Reach for everyone*!"
*Valid for Bill Gates only.

But it turns out that this promo isn't from Microsoft, but the devs of the Maw. They are giving it away for free with each new release of a Summer of Arcade game. So technically it will be valid for all of them.[/QUOTE]

I LOLed at that, thanks. Man, it's been a long day.

[quote name='SAVertigo']So, no one has actually figured out if this blows your chance at the freebie game huh?[/QUOTE]

IT DOESN'T! LEARN TO READ PEOPLE (fine print)

*Valid for Bastion game only. Limit 5 per customer. Offer only valid on the U.S. Microsoft Store website; not valid on previous orders or at Microsoft Store retail locations. U.S. residents only. No cash value. Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion. Instructions for how to redeem promo code "token" for the game will be included with purchase confirmation. One–time–use code valid in the 50 United States or Washington, D.C. Code is nontransferable and not redeemable for cash.
Purchase all 5 Summer of Arcade games: Bastion, From Dust, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Fruit Ninja Kinect, and Toy Soldiers: Cold War before August 23, 2011, 11:59 pm EST, and receive Crimson Alliance and three characters FREE! Limit one (1) gift per person. To qualify for your gift, you must purchase all 5 games from Xbox LIVE Arcade using your Xbox LIVE account by August 23, 2011, 11:59 EST. The download codes for your free copy of Crimson Alliance and free characters will be sent to the email address associated with your LIVE account after the end of the promotion period. Please allow up to 2 weeks for delivery on or around September 7, 2011. Offer available worldwide in all Xbox LIVE countries except Brazil, Japan, and South Africa, while supplies last. Offer is non–transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other rebate or offer. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient. Download charges may apply as set by your ISP. For Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and system requirements, see www.xbox.com/live. Offer provided by: Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052.

[quote name='intoxicated662']IT DOESN'T! LEARN TO READ PEOPLE (fine print)

*Valid for Bastion game only. Limit 5 per customer. Offer only valid on the U.S. Microsoft Store website; not valid on previous orders or at Microsoft Store retail locations. U.S. residents only. No cash value. Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion. Instructions for how to redeem promo code "token" for the game will be included with purchase confirmation. One–time–use code valid in the 50 United States or Washington, D.C. Code is nontransferable and not redeemable for cash.
Purchase all 5 Summer of Arcade games: Bastion, From Dust, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Fruit Ninja Kinect, and Toy Soldiers: Cold War before August 23, 2011, 11:59 pm EST, and receive Crimson Alliance and three characters FREE! Limit one (1) gift per person. To qualify for your gift, you must purchase all 5 games from Xbox LIVE Arcade using your Xbox LIVE account by August 23, 2011, 11:59 EST. The download codes for your free copy of Crimson Alliance and free characters will be sent to the email address associated with your LIVE account after the end of the promotion period. Please allow up to 2 weeks for delivery on or around September 7, 2011. Offer available worldwide in all Xbox LIVE countries except Brazil, Japan, and South Africa, while supplies last. Offer is non–transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other rebate or offer. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient. Download charges may apply as set by your ISP. For Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and system requirements, see www.xbox.com/live. Offer provided by: Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but it also says "Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion."

I would like to know if I'll get 200 points back if I buy Bastion this way (having already bough Torchlight). I'm guessing not. So that's another reason not to go this route and instead just spend MS points on Bastion.

[quote name='NeuralFizz']I agree with you, but it also says "Cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion."[/QUOTE]

Yeah it actually contradicts itself right in the "fine print" which is why a lot of us were still wondering. Unless I'm missing it, it doesn't specifically say "this offer is valid in conjunction with the buy 5 get CA free deal". It just describes the deal as we already know it. It does, however, in fact say that it cannot be combined with any other offers.

The line about not being able to be combined with other offers worries me. I want Bastion and also want CA, but only kinda want The Maw on 360 even though I have the playpass for it on onlive already and havent touched it. But if I cant get CA for free if I buy Bastion this way I'd rather just get it on XBLA and forget about The Maw

Has anyone tweeted @XBoxSupport or something similar like that regarding if this offer and CA offer combined? I don't use twitter often.

[quote name='vlv723']Has anyone tweeted @XBoxSupport or something similar like that regarding if this offer and CA offer combined? I don't use twitter often.[/QUOTE]

Gonna try this now. Thanks for the idea

Looks like someone beat you to it and this is what they responded:

@TheFutureSays We don't believe that'll qualify. Sorry mate! ^BA 11 minutes ago via Elite Tweet Fleet in reply to TheFutureSays

[quote name='vlv723']Looks like someone beat you to it and this is what they responded:

@TheFutureSays We don't believe that'll qualify. Sorry mate! ^BA 11 minutes ago via Elite Tweet Fleet in reply to TheFutureSays[/QUOTE]

Haha, I am TheFutureSays, glad we were able to get the answer quickly.

[quote name='vlv723']haha nice. well, guess I need to buy it through my xbox then if I want to get Crimson Alliance.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and it makes me glad I didnt just jump on it when other people seemed so certain it would work. Looks like if I ever play The Maw itll be via OnLive

[quote name='intoxicated662']IT DOESN'T! LEARN TO READ PEOPLE (fine print)

Purchase all 5 Summer of Arcade games: Bastion, From Dust, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Fruit Ninja Kinect, and Toy Soldiers: Cold War before August 23, 2011, 11:59 pm EST, and receive Crimson Alliance and three characters FREE! Limit one (1) gift per person. To qualify for your gift, you must purchase all 5 games from Xbox LIVE Arcade using your Xbox LIVE account by August 23, 2011, 11:59 EST. The download codes for your free copy of Crimson Alliance and free characters will be sent to the email address associated with your LIVE account after the end of the promotion period. Please allow up to 2 weeks for delivery on or around September 7, 2011. Offer available worldwide in all Xbox LIVE countries except Brazil, Japan, and South Africa, while supplies last. Offer is non–transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other rebate or offer. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient. Download charges may apply as set by your ISP. For Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and system requirements, see www.xbox.com/live. Offer provided by: Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Glad I learned to read

Very tempted to get in on this, I liked the demo for Bastion a lot but kept this deal in mind before buying it... and the Maw I've passed up each time it was on sale, but free technically here is tempting.

If you're hesitant, i'd say just buy it on the 360 dashboard instead to be 100% sure if you're going for the SoA deal which is what i'm doing. Not going to take a chance and i've got the maw. I'm sure it'll go on sale again but to each their own. Bastion is a good game anyways, get it.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Exactly, and it makes me glad I didnt just jump on it when other people seemed so certain it would work. Looks like if I ever play The Maw itll be via OnLive[/QUOTE]

A few of us have been saying from the start it probably won't work... not sure why so many just jumped on it without thinking. It's also available for all the SoA titles so you all who did it could have just waited until we got an answer and if you found out it worked then did it with a later game.

Uhhhhg I remember reading this thread but didn't remember having to purchase from the website, I bought Bastion last night. PISS@!

Here's what I'm wondering, and it's obviously purely subjective...is The Maw more worthwhile than Ms. 'Splosion Man if I did not enjoy the first 'Splosion Man?

I'm just going on the assumption that this won't work with the buy two 800+ points games and get 200 MSP back, and basically Ms. 'Splosion Man is the only other game that I'm interested in besides Beyond Good and Evil HD, though I actually think that I still have my hardcopy of the original, so I may just be better off playing that instead.

EDIT: Also, for those who received The Maw for free for re-upping Gold, how long did it take you to get that email? I don't really play games on line often, but was going to re-up my Gold for the deals at some point, but since there are not any I want going on right now I figured I would just wait until cards go on sale. If I can get a free game by waiting longer I may just do that :p

If I don't get a free copy of Crimson Alliance, I'm going to probably throw a fit of some sort. All it says is that you have to buy 5 SoA games... doesn't ever specify it has to go thru the dash.

I bought the maw years ago. The game is a lot of fun for the first half. The second half is good too but it starts to get a little old (it's charm starts to wear off). I liked it and so did my wife.

[quote name='SAVertigo']If I don't get a free copy of Crimson Alliance, I'm going to probably throw a fit of some sort. All it says is that you have to buy 5 SoA games... doesn't ever specify it has to go thru the dash.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it's going to happen. I've always redeemed codes for the games during these promotions but never have I received the award for it.

[quote name='Pinnacle']I bought it through the dashboard and I havent received anything in my email. What gives?[/QUOTE]It's probably because you bought it through the dashboard and not through Micrsoft Store Online as the deal requires.

[quote name='Pinnacle']The deal was mentioned on the dashboard when I bought it.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen this on the dashboard myself, but usually if they're offering something like a free game with a purchase it takes a few weeks to get your code.

[quote name='louiedog']I haven't seen this on the dashboard myself, but usually if they're offering something like a free game with a purchase it takes a few weeks to get your code.[/QUOTE]

He has to just be seeing the generic one... Also the generic one that's been on the dashboard for a while is pretty deceiving. "Try out Bastion and receive a free game!" No, BUY Bastion and all four other SoA games...then get a free game".

Microsoft advertised "buy all 5 SoA games and get CA for free", even in the MS store.

I'm holding to that, and have a screenshot of before I bought it.

I'm holding out hope.

bread's done
Back