Buy an Xbox 360 Arcade, Get a Free Select Game at Amazon

Thanks Cheapy!

I'm a little shocked that there haven't been any Xbox Arcade deals in-store lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these the new Jasper chipsets or the older Falcon ones? I'm reading the Amazon reviews and there are a lot of complaints about them sending older manufactured ones. This may be the best deal for an Arcade now.. but I don't want a Falcon.

People are still getting Falcon units from Amazon. The only way to be sure of a Jasper is to look at an Arcade in-store and preferably at a store with high-volume turnover like Wal*Mart. That's where I went for a Jasper after my Falcon RRoDed recently. Forget the free game if a Jasper unit means that much.

If it has 512mb listed in the description it has the Jasper chipset. I ordered in mid July and received a Jasper.

[quote name='mis0']Are these the new Jasper chipsets or the older Falcon ones? I'm reading the Amazon reviews and there are a lot of complaints about them sending older manufactured ones. This may be the best deal for an Arcade now.. but I don't want a Falcon.[/QUOTE]

Read the reviews, they all say they got Jaspers.

[quote name='CheapyD']Read the reviews, they all say they got Jaspers.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good then, if CheapyD says they're Jaspers, they gotta be! Will probably jump on it.. but I'll just hold off until towards the end of the period.. in case something better comes up (which I doubt). :cold:

[quote name='Tate Donovan']Does anyone recommend any of those games? I'm not a wrestling fan and I swore off Sonic games years ago.[/QUOTE]
I played Prince of Persia for the 360 and Star Wars Force Unleashed for the Wii. It depends on which game style you like.

Prince of Persia is more platforming/puzzles with boss fights.

Star Wars is more action, but at least for the Wii, the game could have used some control/camera improvements. Don't know if it would be better on the 360. Although I kept thinking back to Knights of the Old Republic while playing through the game and remembering how much better that one seemed.

I was able to beat both pretty quickly, but not 100%. Star Wars lasted me 8-10 hours and Prince of Persia lasted around 15-20 hours. I will be playing Prince of Persia again, but I would not play Force Unleashed again.

If you have played any of the prior Prince of Persia games, this one is totally different, you need to change your expectations for this game if you think it is like the other ones.

[quote name='Tate Donovan']Does anyone recommend any of those games? I'm not a wrestling fan and I swore off Sonic games years ago.[/QUOTE]

I would recommend Prince of Persia. It looks beautiful, and has a nice flow to the gameplay. It's worth paying for, so as free game in a bundle, it's a no-brainer.

Star Wars is pretty good as well -- a solid pick if you're a Star Wars fan. It's not the greatest game in the world, but there's something entertaining about flinging around stormtroppers with your force powers. :cool:

Which one of these games would have the highest B&M trade-in value? From looking at Amazon trade-in, it looks like Terminator is the best with $16. I'm just trying to find the best deal in the end for the system itself.

[quote name='crazynater']Which one of these games would have the highest B&M trade-in value? From looking at Amazon trade-in, it looks like Terminator is the best with $16. I'm just trying to find the best deal in the end for the system itself.[/QUOTE]

Probably will be terminator as it's the newest title out of those listed.

[quote name='romodome']Gosh, I still have my $75.00 amazon.com cert, should I wait for a possible price drop, or do you think this is as good as it gets?[/QUOTE]

I'm not an expert or analyst. If a price drop happens in September (which real analysts and moles predict will happen), I would guess it would bring the Elite model down to a lower price which would also force the PS3 lower. M$ has nothing to gain if they lower the price of the Arcade unit. It is already the lowest price current gen system. By them lowering it to $199 initially to be the lowest, none of their competitors took the bait (Nintendo milking money out of the Wii).

This is a good deal for what it is currently. I wouldn't wait if you've been looking for a while.

If you're in no hurry, I'd wait. Microsoft will try to snag in everyone they can during the holiday season, bundles upon bundles will pop up with better games.

But, if you've been waiting and see a game you like, go for it.

[quote name='77Pat']If it has 512mb listed in the description it has the Jasper chipset. I ordered in mid July and received a Jasper.
00.gif
[/QUOTE]

Good to know, I'll be jumping on this. I've been meaning to play Prince of Persia, and my computer is too much of a junker at the moment.

[quote name='Remeard']If you're in no hurry, I'd wait. Microsoft will try to snag in everyone they can during the holiday season, bundles upon bundles will pop up with better games.

But, if you've been waiting and see a game you like, go for it.[/QUOTE]

The amazon cert expires aug 31

Ordered this yesterday around 3pm, received today from UPS about 2:30pm. I paid for 2-day shipping @ 10 bucks and ended up with overnight. I suppose I live very close to a distribution center (in Richmond, VA) or something.

It's indeed a Jasper and there's a noticeable difference in noise from my old Elite. I'm very happy with it, now I just gotta get my RRoD'd Elite back and put it up on eBay to make most of the 200 back. Thanks for the deal, Cheapy.

I dont know why you want to buy a 360 without a harddrive. 20gb drives are tiny to begin with.

RRD - cant be avoided not matter what you do. you have to replace the x clamps with nuts & bolts.

[quote name='ICEPICC']I dont know why you want to buy a 360 without a harddrive. 20gb drives are tiny to begin with.

RRD - cant be avoided not matter what you do. you have to replace the x clamps with nuts & bolts.[/QUOTE]

Because you can pick up a 120GB hard drive on eBay for $70 and that, depending on what deal you get (I just grabbed one from Dell for $186 [they charge me tax, just like Amazon]), puts you in the ballpark of a 60GB Pro. Only with the Arcade you're almost guaranteed to get the newest chipset with the least chance of having hardware problems.

Maybe you'll still have a hardware failure, but you're paying the same amount or less to get more storage and likely will have fewer issues with RROD, E74, etc.

The question really should be, why would anyone buy a Pro or Elite when the DIY Elite (Arcade+hdd) is cheaper? Or are you still stupid enough to advocate buying older hardware with 60GB for $253 (cheapest I've seen Pro lately) over the $256 I just paid for 120GB with Jasper chipset? Got to come more correct than that, son.

bread's done
Back