Buy Bulletstorm at Best Buy get Gears of War Triple Pack for 5 bucks!

looks like a nice deal. i agree with z3razerviper tho.

however if youre gonna buy geow 1&2 anyway and havent pre-ordered bulletstorm yet, thats what you need :)

[quote name='TraBuch']Don't suppose this works with the PS3 version, does it?[/QUOTE]

most likely not, since the GoW games are 360-only

[quote name='z3razerviper']would be all over it if the gears dlc was on disk however its not its a download token.....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was looking forward to it after reading speculation that it did, made it seem worth it over GoW 2: GotY edition. I was steamed when I opened it up and found that voucher. :/ On top of that, it doesn't have the GoW 1 free mappacks on the disk, and it doesn't have any manuals. >_> It's still good if you didn't own either like myself, but not by much, tbh, you could pick up a new copy of GoW 2: GotY for $20 and a used GoW 1 for $5 from GameStop.

why are people against download vouchers, it's not like this game is something you'd want in your collection for all of time. if so i pity you.

[quote name='Morandor']why are people against download vouchers, it's not like this game is something you'd want in your collection for all of time. if so i pity you.[/QUOTE]

Because re-buying content is a b*tch. The whole voucher system was based on not only trying to get in on the pre-owned games market, but as a scheme to make a profit on people who share their games/need to have content on multiple consoles. Yes, the content is always associated with your account, but a console crash or a console switch, and you're shelling out money again. I suppose the answer to your question is: Why wouldn't you just put it on a disk?

Also, in this case, it's cheaper to buy the games separately in the scenario I mentioned. One of the factors in my decision to pick up the Triple Pack was the hope there would be no vouchers, as opposed to the GotY edition.

[quote name='Morandor']why are people against download vouchers, it's not like this game is something you'd want in your collection for all of time. if so i pity you.[/QUOTE]

Gears 1 is still the best game I've played on xbl, many people think so. Gears 2 kinda suck though, at least they made it halfway playable a year after release.

Sadly it would seem that GOTY/Ultimate Editions where all the extras come on an additional disc are going the way of the buffalo... =/

The main problem, I believe, is DRM. When DLC is included on an additional disc it cannot be protected by DRM like when you download it via code. That is why you can take the Borderlands GOTY, or Fallout 3 GOTY (etc...), and take the DLC disc and install it on a console that has the regular version and get all the DLC. The only caveat has to do with title updates. Sometimes on GOTY/Ultimate editions they will update the game with a title update that the DLC will look for to ensure it is being installed on the proper GOTY/Ultimate edition of the game. The title update issue can be overcome fairly easily though and is not a preventative measure. I guess they could require that the DLC disc be in the tray to use the DLC...but that would be a pain in the butt when you need to have the game disc in to run the game, then swap. That would be worse I think and just frustrate people having to swap discs just to play DLC.

In order to prevent unauthorized use, it seems that Microsoft is trying to get game makers to include either (a) DLC codes where the user enters a unique 1-time use code to download the DLC so that the content is registered server-side as purchased by the user and cannot be transferred (like people are complaining about in the comments above); or (b) included DLC in the game disc, so the DLC cannot be installed separately (as seen on titles such as the Forza 3 Ultimate Edition and the Fable II Greatest Hits that includes the added DLC on the game disc (although Forza 3 Ultimate Edition did come with 3 DLC codes for a theme and some other crap on an insert card, the vast majority of the addon DLC was already included on the install disc)).

So that is my reasoning and thoughts... Hopefully it makes sense and I wont just get flamed. I hope I am wrong, and worse-case scenario is that they start including DLC on the game disc for GOTY/Ultimate editions and get rid of the token download codes that people hate, if in-fact they are trying to get away from including DRM-free DLC on an additional disc. :p

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']Sadly it would seem that GOTY/Ultimate Editions where all the extras come on an additional disc are going the way of the buffalo... =/

The main problem, I believe, is DRM. When DLC is included on an additional disc it cannot be protected by DRM like when you download it via code. That is why you can take the Borderlands GOTY, or Fallout 3 GOTY (etc...), and take the DLC disc and install it on a console that has the regular version and get all the DLC. The only caveat has to do with title updates. Sometimes on GOTY/Ultimate editions they will update the game with a title update that the DLC will look for to ensure it is being installed on the proper GOTY/Ultimate edition of the game. The title update issue can be overcome fairly easily though and is not a preventative measure. I guess they could require that the DLC disc be in the tray to use the DLC...but that would be a pain in the butt when you need to have the game disc in to run the game, then swap. That would be worse I think and just frustrate people having to swap discs just to play DLC.

In order to prevent unauthorized use, it seems that Microsoft is trying to get game makers to include either (a) DLC codes where the user enters a unique 1-time use code to download the DLC so that the content is registered server-side as purchased by the user and cannot be transferred (like people are complaining about in the comments above); or (b) included DLC in the game disc, so the DLC cannot be installed separately (as seen on titles such as the Forza 3 Ultimate Edition and the Fable II Greatest Hits that includes the added DLC on the game disc (although Forza 3 Ultimate Edition did come with 3 DLC codes for a theme and some other crap on an insert card, the vast majority of the addon DLC was already included on the install disc)).

So that is my reasoning and thoughts... Hopefully it makes sense and I wont just get flamed. I hope I am wrong. :p[/QUOTE]

I 1000% agree and I couldn't have said it better myself. Fallout 3's GotY worked as a disc though, right? However, I think that the DLC piracy is used to cover up the other profitable reasons for the voucher system, which I think are the bigger reasons for it.

I just hope that worst-case scenario is that they include the DLC on the game disc whenever they can. I realize that with size constraints that it is not always possible...so you will still have some vouchers/token codes. And I am sure that they love the vouchers because that is incentive to buy a new copy of a game as opposed to a used copy... But for GOTY/Ultimate editions where the game has been out for a while, it would be awesome if they would include the DLC on the game disc so they dont kill the trade in value and benefit to buying a GOTY/Ultimate edition. I like buying GOTY/Ultimate editions because of the added value of having all (or almost all) the DLC. If all the addons start coming via DLC token download (1-time use voucher) then it will be upsetting and greatly diminish my desire to obtain GOTY/Ultimate editions.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']I just hope that worst-case scenario is that they include the DLC on the game disc whenever they can. I realize that with size constraints that it is not always possible...so you will still have some vouchers/token codes. And I am sure that they love the vouchers because that is incentive to buy a new copy of a game as opposed to a used copy... But for GOTY/Ultimate editions where the game has been out for a while, it would be awesome if they would include the DLC on the game disc so they dont kill the trade in value and benefit to buying a GOTY/Ultimate edition. I like buying GOTY/Ultimate editions because of the added value of having all (or almost all) the DLC. If all the addons start coming via DLC token download (1-time use voucher) then it will be upsetting.[/QUOTE]

Good to see we're on the same page. xD

Saw this deal on Joystiq, and it started to make me intrigued to give Bulletstorm a chance. Then I started seeing all the great deals today, and I couldn't resist anymore. Going to pick up my store pick-up order later this afternoon.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Because re-buying content is a b*tch. The whole voucher system was based on not only trying to get in on the pre-owned games market, but as a scheme to make a profit on people who share their games/need to have content on multiple consoles. Yes, the content is always associated with your account, but a console crash or a console switch, and you're shelling out money again. I suppose the answer to your question is: Why wouldn't you just put it on a disk?[/QUOTE]

You don't have to re-buy it. You can transfer the licenses of XBLA/DLC content to a new console (only once a year unfortunately).

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']You don't have to re-buy it. You can transfer the licenses of XBLA/DLC content to a new console (only once a year unfortunately).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot about the once a year transfer allowance, still doesn't allow you to keep it on more than one console, and the process for doing so is annoying and I think it costs monies for the transfer equipment. So I stand by my original question: Why can't it just be released on disk?

I don't have either gears of war, so getting it for $5 is a good deal, I'm just not interested in paying full price for bulletstorm.

[quote name='FadeToOne']I don't have either gears of war, so getting it for $5 is a good deal, I'm just not interested in paying full price for bulletstorm.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at as $35 for Bulletstorm.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Yeah, I forgot about the once a year transfer allowance, still doesn't allow you to keep it on more than one console, and the process for doing so is annoying and I think it costs monies for the transfer equipment. So I stand by my original question: Why can't it just be released on disk?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the transfer stuff does cost money, but I just added all the stuff I owned to my download queue on xbox.com and left it downloading overnight. But I hear you.

Didn't they try releasing DLC content on disk with Fallout3? People could install the content and not need the disc to access said conent (IIRC). And I think there was a trade thread created here on CAG where people could request the disk be sent to them, install it and send it on to the next person. Maybe that's why they do DLC vouchers now.

EDIT:
Found that thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236840

[quote name='jza1218']I'm looking at as $35 for Bulletstorm.[/QUOTE]lol no. You still have to cough up $59.99 + $5.00 + Tax on both items.

The only way to benefit is to either;

A.) Return Bulletstorm with a receipt

or

B.) Trade-in the triple pack... and for some reason I doubt Gamestop will see the triple pack as a new tiv, probaly just merging the current tivs of both gears games...

What pisses me off is the fact that the "manual" included basically tells you to go online to read them. GTFO microsoft, first with your eco case bull, and now this. The $60 pricetag just keeps getting lower in value... eventually we'll just be paying $60 for the raw disc.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']lol no. You still have to cough up $59.99 + $5.00 + Tax on both items.

[/QUOTE]

LOL Yes. See, you view things your way, I view them mine. Gears of War TP is worth the $30, so $65-30=$35. But thanks for telling me how I should look at things.

To follow up on my previous question, I called GS and they said that they DO accept GOW: Triple Pack as a new item and not something that would be split apart with the current TIVs for each. With that in mind, it is going for $8.00 without any extra trade in promotions and Edge/Power Up.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']Sadly it would seem that GOTY/Ultimate Editions where all the extras come on an additional disc are going the way of the buffalo... =/

So that is my reasoning and thoughts... Hopefully it makes sense and I wont just get flamed. I hope I am wrong, and worse-case scenario is that they start including DLC on the game disc for GOTY/Ultimate editions and get rid of the token download codes that people hate, if in-fact they are trying to get away from including DRM-free DLC on an additional disc. :p[/QUOTE]

Borderlands came with a token also last I checked :roll: and Star Wars sith edition content requires you keep the disc in the console....

I'm interested in getting a copy of the GoW Triple Pack, but I'm not interested in Bulletstorm.

If anyone is picking up Bulletstorm, but has no interest in the Gears games, I'd gladly send a Paypal payment if you'd be willing to pick it up and mail it to me.

Let me know.

[quote name='Tarskidx']To follow up on my previous question, I called GS and they said that they DO accept GOW: Triple Pack as a new item and not something that would be split apart with the current TIVs for each. With that in mind, it is going for $8.00 without any extra trade in promotions and Edge/Power Up.[/QUOTE]
If you've already played the Gears Of War games and want to just trade them in, you can trade them right back into Best Buy for $19 for the triple pack.;)

http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm?platform=Xbox360&upc=827307749896

Or $18.70 at TRU:

http://www.toysrustradeincenter.com/X36/productdetails.aspx?productid=155773

Also, some Target stores are taking trade-ins right now for a company called NextWorth: http://www.nextworth.com

But be warned, their values seem to suck on games.

Also, if you get bored with Bulletstorm quickly, Amazon is offering $40 in trade for it and BB is offering between $37-38 right now.

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']lol no. You still have to cough up $59.99 + $5.00 + Tax on both items.

The only way to benefit is to either;

A.) Return Bulletstorm with a receipt

[/QUOTE]

would Best Buy even allow the Bulletstorm return by itself?

bread's done
Back