Buy.com: buy $15+ get $10 rebate offer and Google Checkout?

Squee

CAGiversary!
I was looking for some books and, looking at my cart, noticed an offer that let's you choose from several free magazine subscriptions (supposedly a $10 value). However, the small print below it states that "If you decline your magazine subscription you may receive an allowance for its stated value."

I'm curious about this offer since Buy.com is still running it's Google Checkout $10 off $10+ promotion. Even with around $4 shipping for an item, a $15 book would be $19, $10 from GC nets $9, and the rebate would yield -$1, meaning I make $1. Am I missing something?

As far as I can tell, the Google Checkout discount wouldn't show up on Buy.com's invoice, so the order total would still appear to be above $15 for rebate purposes. Any thoughts concerning this scheme?

I just recieved an order I made last week from buy.com using the google checkout $10 off thing. The item I bought totaled $25 (with shipping) and I payed $15. I just checked my bank statement and it was only charged the $15. I declined all offers when I was buying it and I didnt even read the subscription stuff just declined so i'm not sure what the deal is with those. I didnt get any more money off because I declined. I bet with a $19 total you would have to pay the $19 if you did get a magazine, and $9 without it.

I know bank statements show a charge for the post-GC total (considering that's what you're actually charged), but the invoice you get from Buy.com after you place an order shows the pre-GC total, which can still be $15+ and eligible for the rebate.

Anyone have a clue if this really works?

bread's done
Back