Buy.com - Mad Catz Xbox 360 Wireless 'N' Gaming Adapter $25.99

Whizbang

CAGiversary!
LIMIT 1 Per Customer! Buy.com has a FANTASTIC Deal on this
Mad Catz Xbox 360 Wireless 'N' Gaming Adapter (Black)
List Price: $79.99
You Save: (67%) $54.00
Our Price: $25.99
Shipping: FREE
Buy.com Total Price: $25.99

Wireless network at home but no means to connect your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 to the Internet? Problem solved with the Wireless Gaming Adapter from Mad Catz. Just plug into a PC with the included Ethernet cable for a quick and easy configuration process then plug directly into your console's Ethernet port to let the online gaming, downloading, and movie viewing begin. Take advantage of the fastest Wireless-N Internet speeds that enable up to 7 times faster game play, for an unrivaled gaming experience. Fully compatible with 802.11 b/g/n wireless Routers and Access Points, now you can take advantage of your console's Internet capabilities without the need for an expensive first-party accessory.

LINK

Just ordered this myself. I've been holding off upgrading my Microsoft brand "G" band adapter because a hundred bucks for the "N" band was way too much. This one is priced right or at least priced right to take a chance on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole. Every single review says that the setup process is confusing and convoluted, and for that alone, I'd pass on it, even at the price.

Thanks, OP, I ordered one. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it and upgrade my current G adapter or if I'm going to give it to a bud as a gift, but either way I'm happy.

As far as the setup goes, it sounds the same as the Linksys adapter I have now. It's pretty painless, but knowing a little bit about networking helps. If anything in those reviews scares you though, you might stick with the official MS adapter.

The setup isn't that hard (I was the product manager on this product)... It is manageable if you have experience setting up anything network related.

Unfortunately we can't make it as easy/streamlined as Microsoft's adapter (That's a whole story in itself), but we definitely support this product if there are any questions.

On the one hand, I could use an ethernet bridge. On the other hand:

"The Mad Catz Wireless Adapter does not preserve any settings or configuration options when it is unplugged or power is lost."

Thaaaaat's not cool.

I want to use it on my DirecTV box as well. It sits next to my Xbox.

MarkMan, will this work for a DirecTV access point? I need it to stream videos on demand.

[quote name='mkelehan']On the one hand, I could use an ethernet bridge. On the other hand:

"The Mad Catz Wireless Adapter does not preserve any settings or configuration options when it is unplugged or power is lost."

Thaaaaat's not cool.[/QUOTE]

That's the one thing that kept me from getting it. I went with the TRENDnet TEW 647GA. They occasionally go on sale for $25 at Newegg.com but even at $42 it's a much better purchase than the Mad Catz one.

[quote name='MarkMan']The setup isn't that hard (I was the product manager on this product)... It is manageable if you have experience setting up anything network related.

Unfortunately we can't make it as easy/streamlined as Microsoft's adapter (That's a whole story in itself), but we definitely support this product if there are any questions.[/QUOTE]

Can this be used on a blu ray player with a lan input to stream netflix? A co worker has a blu ray player but the router is not in the same room as the player. This could be a cheap solution for her.

Kevin

Its a bridge, so everybody asking about what it can work with--its a bridge, it will work just like you ran a wire. However, I ordered after not noticing the power loss-config loss issue--that's a hell of a deal killer for something I was going to use in locations where I could use it temporarily and it wouldn't have power all the time.

I had bought one of the Trendnet ones, should have just stuck with getting another one of those.

MarkMan, I would not even admit I was a product manager for a product with that limitation. Is it true?

[quote name='mkelehan']On the one hand, I could use an ethernet bridge. On the other hand:

Thaaaaat's not cool.[/QUOTE]

Thats such a lie whoever told you that needs to stop... Its easy to set up if you know what your doing.. if you don't... then spend 75$ more and get the Microsoft one...

[quote name='SuavePeanuts']Thats such a lie whoever told you that needs to stop... Its easy to set up if you know what your doing.. if you don't... then spend 75$ more and get the Microsoft one...[/QUOTE]

Are you saying it doesn't lose all its settings with power loss?

The description on buy.com says the transmission speed is 54Mbps, so this isn't even an upgrade for people that have a Wireless G already. At best you will get a stronger signal strength from this.

[quote name='SuavePeanuts']Thats such a lie whoever told you that needs to stop... Its easy to set up if you know what your doing.. if you don't... then spend 75$ more and get the Microsoft one...[/QUOTE]

What does losing settings or not have to do with setup? I'll be very good at setting it up by the time I reset the settings over and over if it doesn't save settings. . .

If it really needs to be reconfigured everytime power is lost...I don't even know what to say to that, really. I have to believe that it isn't true, or the reviewer was not completely clear on the point he was trying to convey. If it is really true, it would make this product an epic fail.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If it really needs to be reconfigured everytime power is lost...I don't even know what to say to that, really. I have to believe that it isn't true, or the reviewer was not completely clear on the point he was trying to convey. If it is really true, it would make this product an epic fail.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm this? I'd love to get a wireless adapter for $25, but am hesitant to buy this one based on the settings comments.

This is a bridge, so it'll work with multiple devices connected via an Ethernet switch, so you can use it to connect multiple consoles, BD players, TVs or the like. I know that some devices, like Linksys' "Gaming Adapter" is only rated for a single device, though I don't think this is one of them.

Regardless, your Internet connection speed will likely be a limiting factor over your internal network speeds, so this being only an 802.11G product won't likely be an issue. I know on my own network, my wireless-connected devices were getting throttled at around 10Mbps on my 18Mbps UVerse connection, so if you have a 10Mbps+ Internet connection, you might want to look into a 802.11N product.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If it really needs to be reconfigured everytime power is lost...I don't even know what to say to that, really. I have to believe that it isn't true, or the reviewer was not completely clear on the point he was trying to convey. If it is really true, it would make this product an epic fail.[/QUOTE]I can't imagine a product like this wouldn't use NVRAM for keeping its settings. It's an assumed standard that when you power off a device like this, it keeps its configured settings. If it lost its settings with a power outage, then I'd have to go through the fun of setting it up again.

If this is the case, that's one huge reason to think hard about not getting it.

[quote name='shrike4242']Regardless, your Internet connection speed will likely be a limiting factor over your internal network speeds, so this being only an 802.11G product won't likely be an issue. I know on my own network, my wireless-connected devices were getting throttled at around 10Mbps on my 18Mbps UVerse connection, so if you have a 10Mbps+ Internet connection, you might want to look into a 802.11N product. [/QUOTE]

Depends how much internal LAN communication you plan on using the 360 for. It will do all kinds of things past simple online gaming. But at that point, you'd be better off just using wired anyway.

[quote name='turls']Depends how much internal LAN communication you plan on using the 360 for. It will do all kinds of things past simple online gaming. But at that point, you'd be better off just using wired anyway.[/QUOTE]I switched all of my network devices from wireless to wired with the exception of two laptops and I still had throttling issues at 10Mbps with 802.11G, regardless of the routers I tried. That's when I decided to switch out my router to 802.11N and my throttling issues disappeared and I was getting my full 18Mbps DL.

Internally with a mix of PoE, MoCA and 802.11N, I'm getting more than enough bandwidth to stream HD internally to multiple devices.

I'm just putting out my specific circumstance that with a 10Mbps+ DL internet connection, 802.11N for wireless made sense for me.

I was excited, thinking this would draw power directly from the xbox. As it is, I think I'll wait until I can catch a deal on a DD-WRT capable N router. Maybe a deal on 2, since I'm still sporting a WRT54g-tm as my main router:)

I ordered one for my second Xbox that doesn't get used much. I'll post about the setup when it gets here (3-5 days).

Can it be used on a regular xbox? I have a receiver, a sling box and a regular xbox that I need to plug into a wireless bridge. Is this product worth the $25, or did I make the right choice getting this d-link bridge for $72?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001769K3O/ref=oss_product

I've got a router in the other room, and the ps3/xbox 360/wii connects using that, but these other devices need a way to see the wireless signal.

[quote name='zenintrude']This adapter is worse than the Black Death.[/QUOTE]

Great, another unsubstantiated critique. Now we've got one report that it doesn't keep settings, another that its worse than Black Death. Not real helpful. And this is in a thread where the "manager" of the product posted. . .

[quote name='turls']And this is in a thread where the "manager" of the product posted. . .[/QUOTE]

Is that supposed to mean something to us?

And for the record, he did not identify himself as a "manager" of anything. He's the product manager, which is a technical position... take a moment to fucking read something, stop sounding like an idiot, and keep your air-quotes to yourself.

[quote name='zenintrude']Is that supposed to mean something to us?

And for the record, he did not identify himself as a "manager" of anything. He's the product manager, which is a technical position... take a moment to fucking read something, stop sounding like an idiot, and keep your air-quotes to yourself.[/QUOTE]

wtf is your problem? You're the one with a bunch of b.s. in a bunch of threads lately, not me. Let's see--a product manager isn't a manager in what universe? I don't give a crap about the semantics anyway, I just thought we might get a follow up response when somebody posts a potential deal killing product defect.

Why don't you say exactly why the product is junk if you are going to thread crap?

No, too easy for you to just thread crap, and then you tell me I sound like an idiot. fuck off.

Did any one else buy one of these from Buy.com? I got mine in on Saturday and it's been causing me headaches. I was able to get it set up and connected to my network, and it's not losing the configuration settings, however instead of using the default profile I entered, it insists on connecting to my neighbor's unsecured Linksys router. I was able to get it re-connected to mine by hooking the Gaming Adapter up to my laptop, re-activating my profile, and then connecting it to my media streamer while it was still on. This worked for a couple of hours, but then I left it overnight, and this morning it's connected to my neighbor's router again. It never lost power, it just seems to have switched on its own. It doesn't really make sense to use it if I have to crawl behind my entertainment center and hook up my laptop every time I want to use it. Anybody have any ideas? I e-mailed MadCatz, but I haven't heard anything yet.

And please, no "you should have bought a better product" responses.

Tell your neighbor he's a noob for having an unsecured network.

Can you set anything through your 360? I don't have this one yet (I ordered it but it hasn't arrived,) but I have a similar Linksys device, and although you can't change many settings on the 360 you can go to network configuration and change what wireless network it is connecting to. You might try that.

[quote name='Von Ondine']That's the one thing that kept me from getting it. I went with the TRENDnet TEW 647GA. They occasionally go on sale for $25 at Newegg.com but even at $42 it's a much better purchase than the Mad Catz one.[/QUOTE]

+1000

And, Trendnet has a newer version that is called a media bridge and it has 4 ports so if you have a blue-ray, tv, console and some other connected device you can do that with one AP

[quote name='GohanX']Tell your neighbor he's a noob for having an unsecured network.

Can you set anything through your 360? I don't have this one yet (I ordered it but it hasn't arrived,) but I have a similar Linksys device, and although you can't change many settings on the 360 you can go to network configuration and change what wireless network it is connecting to. You might try that.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't work that way. You have to hook it up to a PC by ethernet cable and program in your WIFI router's settings. I'm using it with a media streamer, not an actual xbox. Whatever device you hook it up to will think it's hooked up to a wired network connection. The problem is that you can't access the gaming adapter settings through your network, only by a PC hooked directly to it. So to change the settings, I've got to put my laptop on the floor by my entertainment center. And even after I make a default profile, it still wants to connect to my neighbor's router. It's weird; if I move the gaming adapter to my office, where it only picks up my home router, it will automatically connect to my router, even when I turn it off and on again. As soon as it sees that Linksys, it doesn't want to connect to mine, even though I didn't enter any kind of settings for his router.

Yeah, the setup on this is complete bullshit. If you don't have a PC right next to your Xbox, you can't set it up.

I have one of these I have powered it off numerous times and it kept the settings, the setup process if fairly easy all you need is a bit of networking knowledge and even if you have none you should still be able to set it up fairly quickly. Anyways i got mine off ebay a few months back for around $20 it was an open box item and I think it was worth the price works great for me I'm using it for xbox live.

[quote name='TheBomb69']Do you need a wired connection to your PC or will a wireless connection work?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's the big issue, you can only set it up using a wired ethernet connection to a computer, and you have to modify the IP address and Subnet mask of the computer that's connecting to it when you do the setup.

[quote name='mphil145']I have one of these I have powered it off numerous times and it kept the settings, the setup process if fairly easy all you need is a bit of networking knowledge and even if you have none you should still be able to set it up fairly quickly. Anyways i got mine off ebay a few months back for around $20 it was an open box item and I think it was worth the price works great for me I'm using it for xbox live.[/QUOTE]

Mine keeps my settings when I power it off, but I have 2 neighbors with unsecured wireless networks, and for whatever reason my Gaming Adapter always tries to connect to those instead of my own network that I saved in the profile.

[quote name='TurboPascal']+1000

And, Trendnet has a newer version that is called a media bridge and it has 4 ports so if you have a blue-ray, tv, console and some other connected device you can do that with one AP[/QUOTE]

I looked this up, the Trendnet model # is TEW-640MB

Seems like a pretty good value at $70. Just came out earlier this month. I noticed the ethernet ports are 10/100. You would think they would have gone with gigabit, but not many stand alone media devices have that anyway.

[quote name='playing mantis']You would think they would have gone with gigabit[/QUOTE]

Would gigabit help with a wireless connection? I was under the impression that gigabit was for the wired realm only.

Then again, I dont really know what the purpose of gigabit is anyway. I understand it's faster, but unless you are sharing large files internal to your home network, isn't it overkill? Isnt the limiting factor your ISP.

If someone wants to give a brief "Gigabit for Dummies", I'd gladly read it.

Total crap. Never got it working. I had a similar device from linksys a few years back & it worked without a hitch. I had the same issue as mj0012 where it kept trying to connect to a different router, with the exception that it never connected to mine.

I got mine the other day, for some reason my old Windows XP box that I use as a HTPC could not set the adapter up, but when I tried my netbook to set it up it worked just fine.

Once set up, the adapter works great for me, and is noticably faster in downloads than my old Linksys adapter. I definately would not recommend it to someone that doesn't know much about networking, but if you know how to set a static IP address on your computer this adapter is recommended and will save you some green.

bread's done
Back