Buy.com: Sandisk 8GB Memory Stick PRO Duo $45.99

[quote name='contej85']Is this a good price? I haven't looked into this for awhile, but I could really use some extra space.[/quote]

I think so because I usually see 4GB cards go for $40.

Oh balls. I just bought a 4GB stick for the same price last week. :x This is an excellent price; can people vouch for the quality/nonpiracy of sticks from Buy.com?

Don't forget to use the ever-present 5% off coupon to knock off an extra $2.30: http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074

Also, keep in mind that buy.com's free shipping is generally very slow. Expect two to three weeks to get the stick. That's about what it took when I ordered the 4GB when it was on sale for $19.99.

[quote name='lunker']can people vouch for the quality/nonpiracy of sticks from Buy.com?[/QUOTE]

Sandisk is awesome, and I highly doubt buy.com would purposely sell ripoff memory.

I would consider this hot if it weren't for Buy.com I got in on the 4gb deal for $20 a few weeks ago and they screwed up on shipping and refused to correct it.

this is a decent deal. But if if your order will depend on luck with these good deals since Buy.com doesn't list their products base on stock because they also order it through other retailers. Your order might be put on hold even if you ordered it early and people that are lucky enough will get their before you even if they ordered later. -_- You might get it faster if you pay 4.95 for the 2nd day express shipping. I got a 4gb Sandisk for 18.99 few weeks ago. I had to wait a week before my order shipped out but i got the order in mail just 3-4 days after. And to this memory card is alot faster than my old 2gb sandisk o.o. I'm pretty happy that I waited for it.

[quote name='Callandor']Don't forget to use the ever-present 5% off coupon to knock off an extra $2.30: http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074

Also, keep in mind that buy.com's free shipping is generally very slow. Expect two to three weeks to get the stick. That's about what it took when I ordered the 4GB when it was on sale for $19.99.

Sandisk is awesome, and I highly doubt buy.com would purposely sell ripoff memory.[/quote]

seconded in every way. Their shipping is INSANELY slow, but since I didn't need it urgently, I just waited it out. I don't have custom firmware, so my 4GB should be plenty, but this is a good price on an 8GB. Can someone confirm that it's PSP compatible? Long ago I thought I heard 8GB wasn't supported. Maybe a firmware update fixed that.

What crappy timing. A few weeks ago I bought a 4GB Pro Duo from Buy.com for $20 which was a great price (the 8GB at the time was around $65). Had I known, I would have simply waited. I guess I'm gonna skip the 8GB cards and go straight for the 16GB when they drop in price.

Yeah I got two 16s in exchange for some computer work and I feel that's where it's at if you're into the homebrew etc. scene. If you're looking for simple multimedia, it's entirely up to what you're putting on there. 8 may be plenty.

[quote name='Callandor']Don't forget to use the ever-present 5% off coupon to knock off an extra $2.30: http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074

Sandisk is awesome, and I highly doubt buy.com would purposely sell ripoff memory.[/quote]

I've never had a problem with Buy.com's free shipping. I've bought about 10 different items in the past 2 years from buy.com, all free shipping, and I've always gotten my item by the 3rd day at the latest. The items always ship from pretty away as well.

Chances are, the memory stick you bought was back-ordered and they had to wait to get more in. It probably didn't have anything to do with the actual shipping though.

[quote name='lunker']Oh balls. I just bought a 4GB stick for the same price last week. :x This is an excellent price; can people vouch for the quality/nonpiracy of sticks from Buy.com?[/QUOTE]

buy.com ships retail items.. it's not some korean ebay seller

Wow... I remember back when I bought an $80 1GB memory stick for my PSP.... and that was a good price at that time.

I think I'll stick with my 4GB stick that I payed $100 for, though.

[quote name='DemonGamer24']Wow... I remember back when I bought an $80 1GB memory stick for my PSP.... and that was a good price at that time.

I think I'll stick with my 4GB stick that I payed $100 for, though.[/quote]I paid $90 plus tax for a 512 MB stick in April 2005, luckily I played it smart at the beginning of last year and only paid $20 for a 2GB, now I guess it's time to go for the 8GB.

Great price. I hate that I paid a similar price not too long ago for my 4GB, but the announcement of the PSP store has me seriously considering an upgrade. Thanks OP

Question for people that have bought games off psn store and have a psp. I bought a couple games compatible with the psp on psn but I haven't put a game on my psp yet but does it show up under your memory card? I would like to compress the files since alot of the games take a major chunk of memory

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Question for people that have bought games off psn store and have a psp. I bought a couple games compatible with the psp on psn but I haven't put a game on my psp yet but does it show up under your memory card? I would like to compress the files since alot of the games take a major chunk of memory[/QUOTE]

You can't compress PSN titles.

[quote name='M3wThr33']You can't compress PSN titles.[/quote]
Hmm, I wonder how he was a 50 mb file of Castlevania SOTN in his PSP and Castlevania SOTN in his PS3 as well. Guess I'll ask him later

[quote name='berzirk']seconded in every way. Their shipping is INSANELY slow, but since I didn't need it urgently, I just waited it out. I don't have custom firmware, so my 4GB should be plenty, but this is a good price on an 8GB. Can someone confirm that it's PSP compatible? Long ago I thought I heard 8GB wasn't supported. Maybe a firmware update fixed that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the good words—I placed an order and I'll be returning my 4GB stick within the next few days. I just installed custom firmware on my PSP and ripping all of my UMDs is actually taking up a lot more space than I realized; some games, like Crisis Core and DJ Max Portable 2, take up as much as 1.5 gigs each, but most of the others are 300MB to 750MB. I was going to juggle between the 4GB SanDisk and a 4GB Lexar I have but this will make things a ton easier, and I even get the 8GB stick for a few bucks cheaper after tax and shipping. :)

Not too shabby for a Pro Duo at 8GB. I managed to pick up a couple of 4GB ones at $35 last year at Circuit City (after Thanksgiving sales).

Thing is, and I don't know how well this will work out, but I've got a 4GB MicroSD with a Pro Duo adapter coming, along with another 8GB MicroSD, and they were around $50 on Newegg, shipping and all. I know that MagicGate won't be supported, but really, does anything actually USE that? Now that I know what it is, it doesn't seem like it's inherently necessary to have it.

Seriously, though, I was getting tired of constantly swapping out what I have on the two 4GB Pro Duos that I have, and hopefully having another 8GB on hand will mean a lot less swapping (and a lot more multi-disc PSX games!).

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I've never had a problem with Buy.com's free shipping. I've bought about 10 different items in the past 2 years from buy.com, all free shipping, and I've always gotten my item by the 3rd day at the latest. The items always ship from pretty away as well.[/QUOTE]

Well, I should say that I've usually had slow free shipping from buy.com. I expected it with the 4GB stick due to the likely popularity, but still, stuff in the past has been hit or miss.

Anyway, don't count on fast free shipping from buy.com. It can certainly happen, but if you need it fast, shell out a few bucks to help guarantee it.

That's a good price for the 8 gig, but I wish the 16 gig would drop to around $100. I'd like to get one of them.

[quote name='SargeSmash']Not too shabby for a Pro Duo at 8GB. I managed to pick up a couple of 4GB ones at $35 last year at Circuit City (after Thanksgiving sales).

Thing is, and I don't know how well this will work out, but I've got a 4GB MicroSD with a Pro Duo adapter coming, along with another 8GB MicroSD, and they were around $50 on Newegg, shipping and all. I know that MagicGate won't be supported, but really, does anything actually USE that? Now that I know what it is, it doesn't seem like it's inherently necessary to have it.

Seriously, though, I was getting tired of constantly swapping out what I have on the two 4GB Pro Duos that I have, and hopefully having another 8GB on hand will mean a lot less swapping (and a lot more multi-disc PSX games!).[/quote]
I wouldn't go around announcing that you pirate games on this site. Mods will get ya. EDIT: Unless there's that super slim chance that you actually rip them but I doubt it

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MikeHoncho']I wouldn't go around announcing that you pirate games on this site. Mods will get ya[/quote]

don't assume, he/she may own the actual PSX discs and just rip and convert them into EBOOTs.

[quote name='AndrewCP']don't assume, he/she may own the actual PSX discs and just rip and convert them into EBOOTs.[/quote]
He might have but you and me know that chances of that are slim to none. Sure if he posts after this he will try to pass it off as he did rip them but come on, be serious.

Anyway back on topic, does anyone know which brand of an 8 gb is the fastest (read and write speeds)

[quote name='MikeHoncho']He might have but you and me know that chances of that are slim to none. Sure if he posts after this he will try to pass it off as he did rip them but come on, be serious.

Anyway back on topic, does anyone know which brand of an 8 gb is the fastest (read and write speeds)[/QUOTE]

I rip games to my PSP all the time from my own set. Almost no load times + hold a shitload of games ='s win.

The Sandisk Ultra II is probably the fastest card you can use in the PSP. On the PSP, there is a SMALL difference between the Ultra II's speed and the regular Sandisk PD. Sony brand PDs are shit.

Sandisk has an Extreme III, but I don't think the PSP will be able to efficiently use it.

Reported above post as spam. Reasoning: User registered on Feb 2009 brings back a dead topic to pimp a site...

definitely a good online deal for a memory stick. I usually get mine at Microcenter though 'cause they always have the 4 gb sticks for $20 and the 8 gb ones for $40.

[quote name='eastx']You can get the Ultra II version of this memory stick from an Amazon seller for $43 shipped. It's faster, which can lead to faster saving and loading of applications.[/quote]

3rd party sellers are similar to eBay in regards to flash memory. Stay away

I guess it is sort of a gamble, but I went ahead and took the risk as this seller has great feedback. I'll report if I encounter any problems.

[quote name='Metrock']I bought this from Best Buy a couple weeks ago for $40.[/quote]

i picked up the sony 8gb at BB for 39.99, i believe its on sale this week too.

bread's done
Back