Buy Final Fantasy XIII-2 at $49.99, Get Final Fantasy XIII Free at Amazon

I had the hardest time getting into XIII, though lord knows as a (once) die-hard FF fan I tried to. I put about 10-12 hours into it, did I give up too soon?

I would say xiii-2 is definitely worth playing, even if you had a bad experience with xiii. Approach it as a new IP instead of a Final Fantasy game and you should be fine. I 100% completed xiii-2 around 72 hours, and thoroughly enjoyed it besides the story aspect. Game is definitely not worth full asking price of $60 since SE decided to not give a full ending. I would say this game is worth $35 at max plus whatever important story DLC SE decides to release down the line that you might or might not care to pay for.

Ugh. they should have to pay people to take FFXIII off their hands.

Anyway, yes XIII-2 is pretty solid. LOve the time travel aspect.

Oh and htz, love your sig. :)

Waiting for the price to drop a little further before i bite.
rtyuio

[quote name='retrad']still 49.99 more than i want to pay[/QUOTE]

[quote name='neuropunk']horrible games, horrible deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clicking through, then.

[quote name='mkelehan']Thanks for clicking through, then.[/QUOTE]
u welcome. just want to warn people against awful games is all. well, this game isn't quite as horrible as xiii, but almost.

[quote name='retrad']still 49.99 more than i want to pay[/QUOTE]

then why did you bother going in this thread?

[quote name='Luxuria']Haters gonna hate.[/QUOTE]
haters gonna hate horrible games that ruined their once favorite franchise, yes. can't blame me for the hatred that my favorite video game series has been ruined by recent casual final fantasy trash. final fantasy should go back to classic rpg style, not this casual watered down garbage.

[quote name='neuropunk']haters gonna hate horrible games that ruined their once favorite franchise, yes. can't blame me for the hatred that my favorite video game series has been ruined by recent casual final fantasy trash. final fantasy should go back to classic rpg style, not this casual watered down garbage.[/QUOTE]

Lol you're thread-crapping every thread today.

I never finished XIII. I could not get past one of the later bosses (cannot remember name). I just remember I spent the entire battle healing my party.

Is XIII-2 similar in that some fights are just 'heal-heal-attack-heal-heal-heal-attack-dead' ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also add that I would probably get the CE of XIII-2 (instead of getting the first one) - since that is $20 off this week, too.

[quote name='blinknot4']I never finished XIII. I could not get past one of the later bosses (cannot remember name). I just remember I spent the entire battle healing my party.

Is XIII-2 similar in that some fights are just 'heal-heal-attack-heal-heal-heal-attack-dead' ??[/QUOTE]
I feel XIII-2 is a lot easier when it comes to boss fights. I didn't really heal much like in XIII. I feel you probably have a much easier time this time around.

[quote name='blinknot4']I would also add that I would probably get the CE of XIII-2 (instead of getting the first one) - since that is $20 off this week, too.[/QUOTE]

Does the CE apply to the deal? If so, that's pretty damn good deal.

[quote name='Rock_Dash3X']I feel XIII-2 is a lot easier when it comes to boss fights. I didn't really heal much like in XIII. I feel you probably have a much easier time this time around.

Does the CE apply to the deal? If so, that's pretty damn good deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input - I will probably buy the CE...
...which is NOT part of the deal. The deal is only for the standard edition.

[quote name='neuropunk']u welcome. just want to warn people against awful games is all. well, this game isn't quite as horrible as xiii, but almost.[/QUOTE]

This post is not helpful in anyway nor does it contribute to this thread.
Please take it elsewhere.

It's a good deal for people who want a shot at this game and FFXIII.

[quote name='blinknot4']Thanks for your input - I will probably buy the CE...
...which is NOT part of the deal. The deal is only for the standard edition.[/QUOTE]

No problem. Loved the game and didn't feel frustrated like XIII. Didn't even try to beat optional bosses in part 1 cause required too much grinding. XIII-2 felt easier. There may be some bosses that will require a little more planning in battle, but nothing like XIII I feel. Hope if you buy it that you enjoy it.

[quote name='DesertLeo']I had the hardest time getting into XIII, though lord knows as a (once) die-hard FF fan I tried to. I put about 10-12 hours into it, did I give up too soon?[/QUOTE]
I did the exact same thing. Gave up on the game. I know the second one is supposed to be better, but I will wait for it to be $20 or something. Also I dont really care for the paradigm shifting aspect.

[quote name='kyrhon']This post is not helpful in anyway nor does it contribute to this thread.
Please take it elsewhere.

It's a good deal for people who want a shot at this game and FFXIII.[/QUOTE]
Oh, it is very helpful though. Just warning people of how horrible these two games are and that FFXIII is LITERALLY A 30 HOUR HALLWAY

[quote name='elessar123']Lol you're thread-crapping every thread today.[/QUOTE]
3 threads is every thread???! I only posted in 2 FFXIII threads and CoD. You may want to learn what the word "every" means.

Just finished the game, clocking 50 hours. First main-line Final Fantasy game I've finished since X! I think this is a solid deal for anyone interested in trying out both games.

[quote name='neuropunk']haters gonna hate horrible games that ruined their once favorite franchise, yes. can't blame me for the hatred that my favorite video game series has been ruined by recent casual final fantasy trash. final fantasy should go back to classic rpg style, not this casual watered down garbage.[/QUOTE]

So you hate generic shooters, but want FF to go back to the generic rpg it used to be...

Going to have to hold off on this one (ME3 is still on my plate!).

FFXIII had many instance of me waking from a stupor and wondering "what am I doing?" It's visually stunning, good music, and the battle system is good once you're... 30 hours or so in?

They could trim it down to 25 hours, make it a super spectacle and then allow for more questing post game that could have played into XIII-2.

XIII wasn't a perfect game (and not having a cut scene theater was the last straw that made me sell it), but it wasn't terrible. I cannot speak for XIII-2... but being jaded and lacking on time... It appears to be a good deal, but the first half of XIII is rough.

[quote name='blinknot4']I never finished XIII. I could not get past one of the later bosses (cannot remember name). I just remember I spent the entire battle healing my party.

Is XIII-2 similar in that some fights are just 'heal-heal-attack-heal-heal-heal-attack-dead' ??[/QUOTE]
You will not have an issue with difficulty in this game, there is even an easy mode. I played on Normal and I thought the game was too easy, five stared about 95% of battles, only battle that gave me trouble was Yami and hes an optional Boss. The reason is because SE did not cap the crystarium like the original, so you can level higher than your suppose to. I decided to do all side quests as I moved along the storyline and also did a lot of monster catching/monster material farming so I got sorta OP.
[quote name='neuropunk']Oh, it is very helpful though. Just warning people of how horrible these two games are and that FFXIII is LITERALLY A 30 HOUR HALLWAY.[/QUOTE]
I could understand your hatred for xiii, but I don't get what that is so bad in xiii-2 that it isn't worth anybody playing.
[quote name='4thHorseman']So you hate generic shooters, but want FF to go back to the generic rpg it used to be...[/QUOTE]
I agree with you on this. People want new and innovative ideas from developers, and when they offer them people nit pick the negatives but never say anything positive they have done. Some devs go the route of "Nothing is broken, so we should not change anything" and people give them flack for not innovating. You can't have it both ways, take the game for what it is, if you don't like it don't support it with your money, and use it toward another game you will enjoy. Just cause you hate a game, doesn't mean somebody else won't like it. I personally like the original xiii for what it is. Gorgeous CG graphics, music, great looking locations, battle system, ton of value for the hours over cost.
[quote name='TheKbob']
They could trim it down to 25 hours, make it a super spectacle and then allow for more questing post game that could have played into XIII-2. [/QUOTE]
That is exactly what SE did in xiii-2, they trimmed the main storyline to 25-30 hours. The story picks up at a much faster pace, and everything is fully available to you within 1 hour of gameplay unlike the original where the "tutorial" is like 25 hours before everything is available near chapter 10.

[quote name='4thHorseman']So you hate generic shooters, but want FF to go back to the generic rpg it used to be...[/QUOTE]
Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest game of all time.

How are classic Final Fantasy games generic? There are no turn based games on consoles for this gen that are like classic Final Fantasy, aside from Lost Odyssey, that is the only one. So, not generic.

[quote name='neuropunk']Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest game of all time.

How are classic Final Fantasy games generic? There are no turn based games on consoles for this gen that are like classic Final Fantasy, aside from Lost Odyssey, that is the only one. So, not generic.[/QUOTE]

No. VI is.

[quote name='FactionG']No. VI is.[/QUOTE]
I recently played VI for the first time recently and halfway through. Plot/story are horrible, characters have no depth or development, and Kefka doesn't have a reason for being evil, he just is.

So far I'm very disappointed since people have always talked about how great it is but the game doesn't seem great at all and just has aged so poorly.

[quote name='neuropunk']I recently played VI for the first time recently and halfway through. Plot/story are horrible, characters have no depth or development, and Kefka doesn't have a reason for being evil, he just is.

So far I'm very disappointed since people have always talked about how great it is but the game doesn't seem great at all and just has aged so poorly.[/QUOTE]

That's because it's too much classic for your taste.

[quote name='DesertLeo']I had the hardest time getting into XIII, though lord knows as a (once) die-hard FF fan I tried to. I put about 10-12 hours into it, did I give up too soon?[/QUOTE]

My opinion, yes. The game opens up at ~20 hours giving you more to explore, a change of party option, new paradigm roles, and optional missions. Of course you'll hit another wall-block, which at that point just beat the game and you'll unlock another 20+ hours of optional content.

This game still has 80-90+ hours of content in it, which is more than 13-2 offers (40~60 hours total, much less if you skip optional stuff and post game stuff), so I can't wrap my head around all the complainers. Go play any action, platformer, FPS, etc and they are much more linear with less content. The downside is that obviously everyone gives up before it hits them, but if you stick with it the last 60 hours are very enjoyable, customizable, and what I remember of the game, fun.

Any true FF fan should remember FF7-FF10, and FF12. Each of those games are 60-120 hours. Why would you judge a game on 18% of its content. That's like saying FF7 was just the town of Midgard for the whole game, and it got boring.

FF7 sucks because it brought out all the sephiroth emos. Main character is a failed clone experiment, who cares, worse story. FF4 and FF6 are awesome and the best in the series still.

Edit: [quote name='Ecofreak']Just finished the game, clocking 50 hours. First main-line Final Fantasy game I've finished since X! I think this is a solid deal for anyone interested in trying out both games. [/quote] This is why I think they decided to make the game linear, because most people never finish any FF titles, like my little brother. He likes them, but never can finish them. This way everyone gets to experience the full story.

Big thanks to Rock_Dash3X and htz for quality replies and opinions. Such a thing isn't too common among game forums!

Decided on the CE of XIII-2.

[quote name='neuropunk']I recently played VI for the first time recently and halfway through. Plot/story are horrible, characters have no depth or development, and Kefka doesn't have a reason for being evil, he just is.

So far I'm very disappointed since people have always talked about how great it is but the game doesn't seem great at all and just has aged so poorly.[/QUOTE]
Is FF7 your first RPG ever or something?

[quote name='FactionG']That's because it's too much classic for your taste.[/QUOTE]
:p

[quote name='blinknot4']Big thanks to Rock_Dash3X and htz for quality replies and opinions. Such a thing isn't too common among game forums!

Decided on the CE of XIII-2.[/QUOTE]
I do hope you like it as much as I did and hope our opinions hold true for you. It's kinda hard to sell this game with all the hate XIII got. Probably one of my most enjoyable FF games out there (and yes people...been playing since part 1). Game ain't perfect, but still playable. And the CE feels nice too. Just wish it weren't so giant.

I kind of want the Collector's edition, but I'm tempted to wait until the game drops to $20 and purchase the soundtrack separately if I like what I hear.

This should have been a day one promo for most places, or Square should have just included FFXIII with XIII-2 like White Knight Chronicles did with WNK 2.

[quote name='neuropunk']Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest game of all time.

How are classic Final Fantasy games generic? There are no turn based games on consoles for this gen that are like classic Final Fantasy, aside from Lost Odyssey, that is the only one. So, not generic.[/QUOTE]

This generation is less than 10 years old and has had a drought on Japanese rpgs on consoles other than games like Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, and Lost Odyssey. I dont know about the handheld rpgs that have come out or the Wii games like Last Story and whether they are similar or not. But even without those, there are still 25+ years of jrpgs that did the exact same jrpg cliches that made it more generic than Call of Duty is.

Not to say its a bad thing, just think you are overlooking how most jrpgs are interchangeable.

"Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest game of all time."
Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go crazy now. FF7 is a great game and all, but.. well.. it's far short of the best ever. Hell, it's probably my second or even third favorite in the FF series (see: FF6).

In any case, this has to be a bad sign, right? I mean, surely, they're having trouble selling these things?

[quote name='killias2']
In any case, this has to be a bad sign, right? I mean, surely, they're having trouble selling these things?[/QUOTE]
I don't know. I don't see it as a bad sign since games usually have sales pretty quickly nowadays. I've seen Amazon do deals like this before. Nice gesture or something? I really can't say.

[quote name='mrclutch']So noob question here. What was the first FF for the 360?[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy 11, but that's a MMO. Then you got FF13 and 13-2.

bread's done
Back