Buy Red Dead Redemption and UFC 2010 from Amazon or Gamestop?

Jimbo1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
RDR and UFC 2010 both cost $60 at Amazon. Amazon gives a $20 giftcard for RDR and Golden Guns DLC. Amazon also gives $10 game credit for UFC 2010 and 3 DLC characters.

I already preordered RDR and UFC 2010 during the 25% off promo at Gamestop. So I'm able to buy both for a total of $90. Gamestop is offering the Special Edition of RDR for those that preorder, which comes with a DLC outfit, soundtrack, and extra challenges. UFC 2010 comes with 4 DLC characters. Both games also come with a $10 coupon. HOWEVER, I've heard that people have a hard time using these coupons. That it's impossible to use with other promotions and won't even work with EDGE, so they're almost useless. I'm not sure if it's worth buying from Gamestop if the coupons are useless.

So what it comes down to is

Amazon- RDR and UFC 2010 for $120-$30=$90
Gamestop- RDR and UFC 2010 for $90-$20=$70 However, $20 coupons might not even work.

Should I cancel my GS order and switch to Amazon?

EDIT: I should mention that I emailed GS CS and asked them if the $10 coupons from RDR and UFC 2010 can be used with Edge. The first reply was "We only offer the $10 for Red Dead Redemption and not UFC." That is untrue, if you look at UFC 2010's page on GS, it says they're offering a $10 coupon for that too. So I replied saying that they didn't answer my question. Their second reply was "Edge is applied automatically to all used items." They still didn't answer my question...So, add these emails to other CAGers' experience with the "coupons" and you can see why I have my doubts about them...

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I hear someone ask "Should I buy this game from *Store X* or Gamestop?", the short answer for me is always "*Store X*". Considering that Store X in this case is Amazon, it's a no-brainer. Now, I'll admit- I hate Gamestop and never shop there, so I have a pretty obvious bias against them. However, the hassles you mentioned are exactly the kinds of things that have led to my bias in the first place. I prefer a hassle-free buying experience, and that's what you get with Amazon.

The different DLC available wouldn't enter into my decision at all, though, and it sounds like it's more of a consideration for you, so you have to weigh that into it, too.

The $10 coupons work fine, you just can't stack them with OTHER coupons. You CAN stack them with the Edge card tho, so you can still find some pretty good deals - I grabbed Midnight Club LA Complete Ed. for about $13 shipped, used, using one a week ago.

That said, I'm about to switch my RDR to Amazon because I have an ECA preorder I can add it to that will make the up-front price the same (if you don't know what it is, don't ask, it's too late to get in on it anyway) and the Amazon credit is more useful. But if I were in your spot, I'd absolutely keep the GS preorder. Less money out of pocket = good. The bonuses don't hurt either.

bread's done
Back