Buyer voluntarily pays extra for s/h and then complains I overcharged him

dugg

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
I sold Super Mario 2 for NES complete with box and instructions. I charged the buyer $5 for shipping via USPS. The buyer takes it upon himself to add an extra $2 (total $7) to have it shipped in a box rather than a padded mailer because he wants to make sure the game's box stays in good shape during transit. He received the package and notices that the actual postage cost only $2.66 and messages me via ebay that I overcharged him for shipping and is "hoping" to get a refund. How should I handle this?

Explain to him that it is shipping and "handling." To me, shipping is the job of UPS, USPS, or FedEx. Handling is the cost of packaging and the cost of time it took to take the extra care in packaging. Seldom do ANY places actually charge you exactly what it cost to actually ship the product.

I ended up buying a label printer to avoid this kind of thing. You print them out from your Paypal page and it doesn't show how much you actually paid, plus you get free delivery confirmation on Priority and 16 cent confirmation for 1st class mail.

man, i hate it when people complain about s/h costs. They agreed to pay for it, so why bitch about it.

But yes, I second what valor19 said.

then again, some people do overcharge for s&h.

it is the seller's job to get to package to the buyer, not the other way around.

I'd be pissed off too if I paid $7 for first class or media mail............

Tell him to get over it. Getting overcharged for shipping is the name of the game on eBay. 95% of the auctions on there charge at least twice as much as they need to ship. Has he left feedback for you yet? If not, to avoid a negative and appease a whiner you might give him a few bucks back. What's a couple dollars in the grand scheme of things? If he has tell him you won't give him any money but you will send him a coupon for one free kick in the nads!

[quote name='jumbo11']then again, some people do overcharge for s&h.

it is the seller's job to get to package to the buyer, not the other way around.

I'd be pissed off too if I paid $7 for first class or media mail............[/quote]

I think "overcharging for S&H" misses the point a bit -- everyone (or virtually everyone) knows to check the cost of shipping before bidding, so I don't think that ends up driving up your total cost any.

What it DOES do is allow the seller to avoid ebay fees on the S&H costs. To me as a buyer, paying $10 for something with free shipping is the same as paying $5 + $5 S&H. But it means something different to the seller.

Of course if they say they're going to package/ship it one way and they end up doing it some cheaper way, that's worth getting pissed off over . . .

[quote name='Puzznic']I ended up buying a label printer to avoid this kind of thing. You print them out from your Paypal page and it doesn't show how much you actually paid, plus you get free delivery confirmation on Priority and 16 cent confirmation for 1st class mail.[/quote]

they dont have first class availible on paypal...or do they?

[quote name='omgu8myrice']they dont have first class availible on paypal...or do they?[/QUOTE]

First Class is available thru paypal. I use it all the time.
(It is up to the seller to allow it on their auctions)

For a Seller, Printing the Paypal Shipping label saves a lot of complaints, and give you the cheap delivery confirmation.

I typically give buyers a choice. 1st Class or Priority.
I add $1.50 Handling on top to cover expenses.

I personally would give him the refund if you shipped First Class. $7 is a little excessive. If you shipped Priority, I'd refund him a buck. Then again, I would have refunded him the moment he sent me the extra $2 because shipping a complete NES game in a cardboard box should be a given.

[quote name='Kendro']I personally would give him the refund if you shipped First Class. $7 is a little excessive. If you shipped Priority, I'd refund him a buck. Then again, I would have refunded him the moment he sent me the extra $2 because shipping a complete NES game in a cardboard box should be a given.[/QUOTE]

I think the point is the guy offered more and now is complaining. It's the epitome of everything eBay and online has now become.

When I buy something on eBay for $3 and shipping is $7 I don't go around telling people I got it for $3 - it was a $10 purchase. It doesn't matter if the actual cost of shipping was $1 or $7 - it's irrelevant once you decide to purchase the item. Why are people so stupid?

Yeah it's not like you didn't say in your auction "Shipping is $x.xx" They knew how much they had to pay for shipping and if the guy offered more money on top of that, then that is his problem.

If a guy was going to offer me $3 extra to ship in a box instead of a mailer, I'm gladly going to take it. It'd be different if he gave you the extra money for faster shipping, but he didn't.

i pretty much told the buyer what valor19 said (thanks btw), but left open the possibility that i'll give him a couple bucks back if he's really THAT dissatisfied. the stupid thing about all of this is that i didnt offer boxed shipping as an option... he took it upon himself to ask for it. i dont really think $5 s/h is overcharging and it's clearly listed on my auction that the cost is $5 s/h.

Most sellers are pretty damn good about packaging a item in a box if requested and majority of the time, there is no charge to the buyer. It is just simply good business practice. Besides, a box is cheap. For example, I asked a seller prior to buying Konami Krazy Racers if he would put it in a box so the game wouldn't end up crushed. He said no problem, no additional costs were added in, no BS. That's the way things should be done.

He offered money and therefore he is in the loss. I would honestly give him nothing.

bread's done
Back