Buying a cheap eMachine

For the same amount of money you can build a better machine than that.

Not interesting in DIY?

[quote name='Megazell']For the same amount of money you can build a better machine than that.

Not interesting in DIY?[/QUOTE]

Where's the deal? Gotta buy all your programs and OS.

You could probably do better than that. I'll keep an eye out for you. I would hate for you to have to buy that thing.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Where's the deal? Gotta buy all your programs and OS.[/QUOTE]

Don't feed the troll.

E-machines, I would just stay away from. People I know who used them never had a good experience, so I just take their experiences and stay away.

Try finding something along the lines of Dell or HP. Similarly priced, you might find better performance.

Yeah if you want to run windows and have Microsoft office that pretty much kills building your own machine. That's $200+ right there on top of the build costs.

[quote name='mission42']Yeah if you want to run windows and have Microsoft office that pretty much kills building your own machine. That's $200+ right there on top of the build costs.[/QUOTE]

Only if you want to go legit, and even then, there are ways to get stuff on the cheap. I believe you can still get Windows 7 for $30 if you have an .edu email.

That said, if you intend on paying for an OS as well as stuff like Office, building a PC for $400 or under would be pretty tough. If you intend to go the "free" route for your OS and whatnot, building a decent/good PC for $400 or under would be a breeze.

every single emachine that I've worked on or had (3 mind you) has failed. Every single one withing the last 3-4 years. They are just made too cheaply that they can't handle life after 4-5 years at the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SEH']Only if you want to go legit, and even then, there are ways to get stuff on the cheap. I believe you can still get Windows 7 for $30 if you have an .edu email.

That said, if you intend on paying for an OS as well as stuff like Office, building a PC for $400 or under would be pretty tough. If you intend to go the "free" route for your OS and whatnot, building a decent/good PC for $400 or under would be a breeze.[/QUOTE]

Windows 7 Upgrade is available for $30 with an .edu discount. That's all I"m aware of at this time. Microsoft Office Professional Academic 2010 is available for $80.

Building a good budget computer would be easier if you were looking for the 5 finger discount.

Then again there are always alternatives:
As opposed to getting a "free" M$ OS, you could use a Linux distro such as ubuntu.
Also for the office suite you could go with OpenOffice.

EDIT:
My first computer was an eMachines T1100. That was back in 2000 (2001?). It still works to this day but nothing beats a DIY computer.

If your mindset is to just buy this computer then you could always cheaply stick a a dedicated video card in that one such as this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127368 $30 FS --> $10 after MIR

[quote name='phantasyx']every single emachine that I'm worked on or had (3 mind you) has failed. Every single one withing the last 3-4 years. They are just made too cheaply that they can't handle life after 4-5 years at the most.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Emachines use the cheapest, most generic parts possible. Don't be fooled by the cheap price, because you get what you pay for.

If you want to do a legit DIY desktop that leaves room for keyboards, mouse, OS, etc. then go with this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.472904

Comes with integrated graphics & quad core already and leaves you with room to improve.

Only things you would need in addition to that $300 package is an OS, hard drive, mouse, keyboard, monitor. I assume you already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor. A windows 7 home premium runs about $99 and a hard drive can be bought for $40.

So...
DIY combo desktop $305
Windows 7 OS $100
Hard drive $40
thermal paste
~$450 + tax (or not depending on your state)

I suggest you pony up the extra $$$. You'll be more satisfied in the long run.

[quote name='iRent']Windows 7 Upgrade is available for $30 with an .edu discount. [/QUOTE]

Yeah. don't be fooled by "upgrade" though, it can be used for fresh installs.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Where's the deal? Gotta buy all your programs and OS.[/QUOTE]

Gotta does not exist in the world of wants.

[quote name='SEH']Only if you want to go legit, and even then, there are ways to get stuff on the cheap. I believe you can still get Windows 7 for $30 if you have an .edu email.

That said, if you intend on paying for an OS as well as stuff like Office, building a PC for $400 or under would be pretty tough. If you intend to go the "free" route for your OS and whatnot, building a decent/good PC for $400 or under would be a breeze.[/QUOTE]

I would not advocate for someone to get their software illegitimately.

Now sure which OS the OP is looking for but you can buy a brand new copy of Windows XP Professional in several places all over NYC like 'Strand' book story for as low as $13.

If you are in college or know someone in college they can get you a copy of Windows 7 for $29.99.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows.aspx

As for Office related software I would go with Open Office...outside of it being free there is no difference between it and Microsoft Office.

http://www.openoffice.org/

If you have no problems with DIY then I would suggest you hit this CAG thread were vets of putting together machines assist each other with critique and links to better and better deals...reviews and such...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226363

I personally never spent over $400 for a computer in my life. So the deals are out there it's up to you whether you want to build the machine and put in the effort to get those deals.

------
Below is my current main rig.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720
MB: MSI DKA790GX
RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB
Videocard: HIS Radeon 4870 512MB
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 500 Black x 4
PSU: Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL
Case: Antec Skeleton PC Case
OS: Windows XP Professional SP 3 (Gamer Edits) and Ubuntu 9.10 (Gamer Edits)

NO DVD Drive, NO CD-ROM - I do everything via USB or download.

Total cost after rebates and coupons: $188.93

[quote name='Megazell']Gotta does not exist in the world of wants.

Now sure which OS the OP is looking for but you can buy a brand new copy of Windows XP Professional in several places all over NYC like 'Strand' book story for as low as $13.

If you are in college or know someone in college they can get you a copy of Windows 7 for $29.99.

As for Office related software I would go with Open Office...outside of it being free there is no difference between it and Microsoft Office.

If you have no problems with DIY then I would suggest you hit this CAG thread were vets of putting together machines assist each other with critique and links to better and better deals...reviews and such...

I personally never spent over $400 for a computer in my life. So the deals are out there it's up to you whether you want to build the machine and put in the effort to get those deals.

------

Total cost after rebates and coupons: $188.93[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Nice rig you cheapo! That is fucking amazing for sub $200 even if you gamble with rebates.

Also didn't know we a one of those building threads. Bookmarked!

[quote name='iRent']Hahaha. Nice rig you cheapo! That is fucking amazing for sub $200 even if you gamble with rebates.

Also didn't know we a one of those building threads. Bookmarked![/QUOTE]

How does one gamble with rebates?

As for the thread it's one of the best on the net.

[quote name='Megazell']How does one gamble with rebates?

As for the thread it's one of the best on the net.[/QUOTE]

I've never had problems with rebates but reading SD I feel like it's every other post that someone goes "Oh good luck with getting that rebate" or something similar.

[quote name='iRent']I've never had problems with rebates but reading SD I feel like it's every other post that someone goes "Oh good luck with getting that rebate" or something similar.[/QUOTE]

Me either.

I've been using rebates for years I've never had a problem.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Please do not buy the eMachine. Megazell is a pro at finding cheap PC parts, you would do a great service to yourself to speak with him.[/QUOTE]

No, the parts he buys are YMMV which are pretty useless for most everyone, which is why he never actually posts parts to buy which are available to everyone. Perhaps if you actually lived near him, he'd help you out, but for the rest of the internet, he's useless.

It sounds like you got good service out of your old Dell. Perhaps you'd be open to buying another one from them. I just got this one from the Dell outlet (outlet.dell.com)

Dell Inspiron 560
Core 2 Quad Q8300 (2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333FSB)
4 GB RAM
640 GB HDD

Total - $454.74

This included tax (you might not get taxed if Dell has no retail outlet in your state) and free shipping.

Their stock/prices fluctuates CONSTANTLY. Be patient and you'll eventually find something you like and then you have to jump on it IMMEDIATELY.

[quote name='m6oo']It sounds like you got good service out of your old Dell. Perhaps you'd be open to buying another one from them. I just got this one from the Dell outlet (outlet.dell.com)

Dell Inspiron 560
Core 2 Quad Q8300 (2.5GHz, 4MB L2, 1333FSB)
4 GB RAM
640 GB HDD

Total - $454.74

This included tax (you might not get taxed if Dell has no retail outlet in your state) and free shipping.

Their stock/prices fluctuates CONSTANTLY. Be patient and you'll eventually find something you like and then you have to jump on it IMMEDIATELY.[/QUOTE]

That's great! With our 20% rebate we'd get it for roughly $360. I sure hope the price holds. Also I've never used Microsoft Office, so I guess I'd only need to get Windows 7 for a DIY. If you guys can prove to me I could make a great rig for $300-$400 (excluding $100 Windows 7) without YMMV involved, I'd do it in a heart beat. But if I could only make one as good or slightly better than that Dell, then it's not worth the trouble.

[quote name='Buuhan1']That's great! With our 20% rebate we'd get it for roughly $360. I sure hope the price holds. Also I've never used Microsoft Office, so I guess I'd only need to get Windows 7 for a DIY. If you guys can prove to me I could make a great rig for $300-$400 (excluding $100 Windows 7) without YMMV involved, I'd do it in a heart beat. But if I could only make one as good or slightly better than that Dell, then it's not worth the trouble.[/QUOTE]

No need for us to prove anything. That thread specified has hundreds of rigs that other members of CAG have made and been using to game with other CAG members.

[quote name='SEH']Prove it![/QUOTE]

Done.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I've been to the thread before, but honestly it's a little intimidating, a long list of links.[/QUOTE]

Then you will probably be better off purchasing a complete PC outright. Finding a deal is not easy. It requires reading and research.

You will be paying more and sometimes for less but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Good luck.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone helping me put together a list of links of each component I need while staying within my budget and being an awesome rig.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I was thinking more along the lines of someone helping me put together a list of links of each component I need while staying within my budget and being an awesome rig.[/QUOTE]

From what you stated in your original post you are looking for a casual PC - Not a killer PC. I think you can do both to be honest.

Try this website first - www.pricewatch.com. Take a look at some of their already assembled PCs and then work from there.

Here is a starter example to help you better get your head around what you want -

http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/computer_systems_with_os/3.4ghz

Your bottleneck by price and performance are - Video Card, CPU/Motherboard...Everything else you can get on the affordable side of life.

Reason I'm asking for extensive help is because a lot of shopping sites don't work for a damn on the PS3.

[quote name='Megazell']Gotta does not exist in the world of wants.

------

Total cost after rebates and coupons: $188.93[/QUOTE]

IS that Windows student discount only for the upgrade, or the full OS? I need the full OS and I'm a student.

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']IS that Windows student discount only for the upgrade, or the full OS? I need the full OS and I'm a student.[/QUOTE]

Another CAG member stated the following...

[quote name='SEH']Yeah. don't be fooled by "upgrade" though, it can be used for fresh installs.[/QUOTE]

This article - Though old - Talks about installing a fresh version of Windows 7 using the upgrade disk. http://news.cnet.com/windows-7-upgrade-dos-and-don-ts

I have never personally done it myself. I am an advocate of Windows XP and Linux over upgrading to Windows 7.

Maybe other CAG members can assist you with that question.

Feel free to share your knowledge/results with us.

I have the upgrade disc which I got from the Student program. Like I said, it also allows fresh installs. You just have to go into an extra options menu and format your drive, then install. Not hard at all.

[quote name='Megazell']Another CAG member stated the following...

This article - Though old - Talks about installing a fresh version of Windows 7 using the upgrade disk. http://news.cnet.com/windows-7-upgrade-dos-and-don-ts

I have never personally done it myself. I am an advocate of Windows XP and Linux over upgrading to Windows 7.

Maybe other CAG members can assist you with that question.

Feel free to share your knowledge/results with us.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SEH']I have the upgrade disc which I got from the Student program. Like I said, it also allows fresh installs. You just have to go into an extra options menu and format your drive, then install. Not hard at all.[/QUOTE]

This sort of thing was possible with the old vista anytime upgrade discs. From what I've read it utilized a fresh install of the trial option then installing over than and entering the key which basically fooled it into thinking it was an upgrade.

Never had to buy an upgrade to vista because I preferred XP as well. Vista is such a resource hog.

Never tried it myself though and can't comment on the Windows 7 upgrade. But if you say it works fresh installed I might give it a go in the near future to upgrade over my vista.

bread's done
Back