Buying a monitor for the PS3...

lord_ebonstone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
I got a PS3 recently and was disappointed to learn all about HDCP bullshit that would prevent me from using a simple HDMI->VGA adapter*.

See, I don't have an HDTV. I play my XBox 360 on my monitor (SXGA, 1280x1024). However, my monitor does not have any HDMI ports, so that means I get to play my PS3 on my standard definition TV (doesn't even have component, just S-Video).

I'm looking to buy a new monitor that has HDMI + HDCP and is affordable ($350 after tax and/or shipping is about my limit). Ideally it'd be able to display 1080i in some respectable resolution. WSXGA+, or 1680x1050, seems to be the most common resolution in my price range. I could potentially go all the way up to true 1080i (1920x1080), but then I'd have to run my computer desktop/applications in 1920x1080, which may necessitate a new video card (another $300 on top, but an upgrade I'd been considering anyway).

So I've got two questions. How ugly will 1080i look in 1680x1050 instead of the native 1920x1080? And, of course, does anyone have any recommended monitors/TVs?

*No one seems to be clear on whether HDCP is required for both PS3 games and Blu-Ray or just for Blu-Ray. I've heard both. A definitive answer with a source (imagine that!) would be welcome.

I believe you need a monitor with HDCP to play both things (games and movies). The bad thing is most monitors are 1920x1200, which means they stretch the image when a console is displayed on it. I play Xbox 360 on my 1680x1050 monitor. It looks pretty good. It obviously looks better on a real LCD TV, but a $200 monitor is a little cheaper than most LCD TV's, lol. I will link some displays in a sec...

Oh, you wouldn't want to go from digital (HDMI) to analog (VGA) anyway...

These have pretty good reviews and a 3 year warranty:
1680x1050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254028

1920x1200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014158 (Over your budget though ~$400 shipped)

I would love to get my hands on the BenQ monitor. I ran into the same problem. I was about to try hooking up my PS3 to my monitor through DVI (since I don't have an LCD TV), but my monitor doesn't support HDCP either. It sucks. Now I have to wait until I earn enough to buy a new monitor.

You could always go with a HDMI to DVI cable, then just get a monitor with a DVI port. The ones with HDMI are more expensive (obviously).

I actually bought the 22 inch model of the BenQ monitor for about $280 shipped. Oddly enough, I bought it at newegg as well but it seems they don't have the model listed anymore. Works perfectly with the HDMI cable I ordered from monoprice. The video quality is top notch but it does not have built in speakers so you'll need to get those hook ups sorted out.

I have the LG 246wp and via component it works great. It comes with HDMI, Component, and VGA inputs. I'm having some issues with the HDMI though on the ps3. I'm running into overscan troubles. I got my LG for about $500 so it's a good chunk out of your budget. : /

I got a 22" Samsung I got my PS3 hook up to. You won't be displaying it ever in 1080i or anything i, it'll be p. Whether you have it as 720p or 1080p, because a moniter is 16:10 and not 16:9 like tvs which it is setup for, you'll lose a little bit on the edges. I tried running it in 1080p and it works fine, except my moniter always popup saying it's not the moniter's native resolution and I would have to push a button to get rid of this. Other than that it works fine in either and does look much better in 1080p but was annoying having to push a button everytime. Hope that helps some.

I can't personally speak for the BenQ monitor Bretts linked to above, but I do have the BenQ FP241W. That has an HDMI port w/ 1080p support and HDCP compliance. Works nicely if I have to hook up a system to it temporarily. PC use is damn awesome, of course.

I've noticed that a lot (but not all) 1680x1050 monitors will actually accept 1080p signals and scale it down. That way you can set your PS3 to 1080p. It's scaled, but at least the monitor's running at native resolution.

I have a 22" HP w2207 which I love. Though I don't have a PS3 yet the 360 looks great on it. HP came out with a new updated model for these style of monitors and they swapped out the DVI for an HDMI port. The new w2207h is around $330 and really nice.

Very much considering pulling the trigger on a 1680x1050 but would still like to hear from anyone who uses their PS3 in that resolution. I'm curious whether it looks better in 720p or 1080p in that rez.

I use my PS3 on my Samsung 215tw (it's an old model - don't bother looking for it), hooked up with a HDMI to DVI cable. The DVI port supports HDCP. It's a 1680x1050 21" monitor. I run the PS3 at 1080p for the monitor to scale down, which looks much sharper than 720p scaled up (but I of course have to tolerate it in some games). This particular monitor does not support 16:9, so everything is stretched vertically to 16:10, but it looks alright.

Why don't you just bite the bullet and get a real TV for christ sake? Anyone can go to BB or CC and get approved for no interest for 12-24 months. Then you can get a 50" Plasma with the kick ass surround to go with it like I have. DEBT=American way, it is your god given right as a red blooded American to go into debt. Live it up!! You can't take it with you!! When I play my ps3 it is like I'm in the damn game, it rules!!! And I still have 18 months to pay for it, even though it will be taken care with the tax return. Just do it!!!! That is what I think any way, those are m 2 cents.....

[quote name='buddah8640']Why don't you just bite the bullet and get a real TV for christ sake? Anyone can go to BB or CC and get approved for no interest for 12-24 months. Then you can get a 50" Plasma with the kick ass surround to go with it like I have. DEBT=American way, it is your god given right as a red blooded American to go into debt. Live it up!! You can't take it with you!! When I play my ps3 it is like I'm in the damn game, it rules!!! And I still have 18 months to pay for it, even though it will be taken care with the tax return. Just do it!!!! That is what I think any way, those are m 2 cents.....[/QUOTE]Haha, I would go crazy if I was at negative for anything. I try very hard to not be in debt.

I have an HDTV, but I was thinking of buying an HD monitor so I can use it while I'm at home (since I cannot go back to SD). I also want one for my computer, so I'm looking.

[quote name='buddah8640']Why don't you just bite the bullet and get a real TV for christ sake? Anyone can go to BB or CC and get approved for no interest for 12-24 months. Then you can get a 50" Plasma with the kick ass surround to go with it like I have. DEBT=American way, it is your god given right as a red blooded American to go into debt. Live it up!! You can't take it with you!! When I play my ps3 it is like I'm in the damn game, it rules!!! And I still have 18 months to pay for it, even though it will be taken care with the tax return. Just do it!!!! That is what I think any way, those are m 2 cents.....[/QUOTE]

If you're being sarcastic, I applaud you for a job well done.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I can't personally speak for the BenQ monitor Bretts linked to above, but I do have the BenQ FP241W. That has an HDMI port w/ 1080p support and HDCP compliance. Works nicely if I have to hook up a system to it temporarily. PC use is damn awesome, of course.[/quote]

As another FP241W owner, I want to second the recommendation. Makes all my PS3 and Wii gaming look sweet! Plus, since I'm probably going to be moving in dorms next year, it's perfect for those with little space to hook everything up everything and have a kick ass display! Although I admit PSP games don't look that great on it, but I've only tried Silent Hill Origins so far.

[quote name='naes']Probably a stupid question, but how the hell do you adjust the volume?[/quote]

You hook up the ps3 via hdmi for video and than use the a/v cables hooked up to speakers seperately, that's how I do it.

[quote name='Thongsy']You hook up the ps3 via hdmi for video and than use the a/v cables hooked up to speakers seperately, that's how I do it.[/quote]
Is there any way to adjust volume if I hook it straight up to the monitor? Like this has a built in HDMI port and from what I've gathered from researching, the headphone slot is the audio output. So if I were to plug speakers there, how would I adjust the volume?

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Many monitors have componant now. Though I don't think you can do 1080 over component.[/quote]
You certainly can. Unless the monitor manufacturer takes steps to prevent it.

[quote name='naes']Is there any way to adjust volume if I hook it straight up to the monitor? Like this has a built in HDMI port and from what I've gathered from researching, the headphone slot is the audio output. So if I were to plug speakers there, how would I adjust the volume?[/quote]

If you're connecting speakers to a headphone jack, then said speakers have a volume control (or they cost less than a dollar :)). Use it. :)

bread's done
Back