Buying a monitor, please help?

maxgle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hi cagers!

I was wondering if anyone can help me picking a new computer monitor. It's been years since I bought a monitor so I am going to need a little help. After checking out dell.com, there seems to be two major types of monitors, flat panel and the wide screen ones. Unfortunately I don't even know the difference between the two, so if anyone can give me any advice, that will be great.

I thank you all in advance. Hopefully I can have a new monitor soon. Go cag!

Well, pretty much all new monitors will be LCD "flat panel" technology, as the old CRT glass tube monitors are now sleeping with the dodo. "Widescreen" and "4:3" are really just sizes of panels, not really technology types.

To know what to buy, the first logical questions are what will your primary uses be, and how much money do want to spend?

Thanks Richard, I am not using it for gaming or graphic design. Just the usual thing such as watching DVDs or web surfing....

[quote name='maxgle']Thanks Richard, I am not using it for gaming or graphic design. Just the usual thing such as watching DVDs or web surfing....[/quote]

here

if link doesnt work, go to newegg.com and its the hanns G 19, 169.99.

Widescreen 19 in widescreen monitors can be had pretty cheap and are great.

You want a low response time (2-3 ms), among other things.

[quote name='p00ndawg']here

if link doesnt work, go to newegg.com and its the hanns G 19, 169.99.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that seems to be a great price. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone who helped!

I too have been looking for a Monitor.
I do play a lot of PC games on my machine.
I plan on upgrading my computer after March 16th, so I will have a killer machine able to run Crysis on a decently high setting.
What should I look for in a monitor. I remembering reading about dot pitch or something of the sort.

T3kN,

I just upgraded to a 24-inch LCD; perhaps my experience can assist you.

First, check out the monitors in-person. Many manufacturers lie about their monitor's specs. Also check out in-depth reviews online, particularly at tech enthusiast sites.

My first choice was an HP 24'' for $650 from Best Buy (I had to purchase an extended warranty because HP only covers the monitor for one year). I soon realized I overpayed for a mediocre product. While still images look fantastic on the w2408, games and movies suffered from strange discolorations.

After exchanging the w2408, I ordered a Samsung 24-inch from Costco.com for $430 shipped. While it lacks the fancy bells and whistles the HP had, the image quality is superior, especially with games.

Oh ya, either get a 20'' or 24''. The 22'' has the same resolution as the 20'' so the pixels are distributed over a wider area. This detracts from image clarity.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Going from a CRT monitor to an LCD monitor is not an upgrade.[/quote]

No one said it was. I have a 22" NEC FE2111 which is a professional series graphics monitor, around $2000 when it came out. I wouldn't trade it for any LCD on the market. I lucked out and got it on eBay for $90 delivered, but the the OP probably won't have the same luck. Buying used is risky, so what other reliable options does the OP really have besides a new LCD?

bread's done
Back