Buying a new PSP

InertiaXr

CAG Veteran
Hey i'm thinking of getting a PSP soon and had a few questions. First off, is there any reason to wait a while for a price drop/etc? I know Sony just announced the new PSP-3000 but it seems quite similar to the current Slim which i'm planning on getting, but thought maybe it could induce a price drop on the current SKU's to make way for the new model. Also, what games to get? Until lately I haven't followed the PSP really at all so am not sure on what games to start out with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I bought a PSP-2000 the day before the 3000 announcement. :) No regrets though-- I've been waiting to get a PSP for a while, and even if I had known the 3000 was coming, I don't think I would have wanted to keep waiting until November for a marginally-improved machine.

I bought mine from Buy.com using a 5% off coupon that's floating around. Not huge savings but the best I've seen recently other than Amazon's $20 Bill Me Later promo, which I already used for something else.

I wouldn't expect a price drop before the 3000 comes out. IIRC the 1000 kept on selling at regular price until places started running out of them, at which point they restocked with the 2000.

PSP games I personally have purchased/preordered so far:

Brave Story: New Traveler
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Guilty Gear Judgment
Jeanne D'Arc
Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Wild ARMs XF
Yggdra Union

One of the reasons I was tired of putting off the purchase was that I have all these games sitting around that I've been dying to play. :) You can see that my tastes run to JRPGs and fighting games, so if yours don't my recommendations might not be too useful.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well I bought a PSP-2000 the day before the 3000 announcement. :) No regrets though-- I've been waiting to get a PSP for a while, and even if I had known the 3000 was coming, I don't think I would have wanted to keep waiting until November for a marginally-improved machine.

I bought mine from Buy.com using a 5% off coupon that's floating around. Not huge savings but the best I've seen recently other than Amazon's $20 Bill Me Later promo, which I already used for something else.

I wouldn't expect a price drop before the 3000 comes out. IIRC the 1000 kept on selling at regular price until places started running out of them, at which point they restocked with the 2000.

PSP games I personally have purchased/preordered so far:

Brave Story: New Traveler
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Guilty Gear Judgment
Jeanne D'Arc
Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Wild ARMs XF
Yggdra Union

One of the reasons I was tired of putting off the purchase was that I have all these games sitting around that I've been dying to play. :) You can see that my tastes run to JRPGs and fighting games, so if yours don't my recommendations might not be too useful.[/quote]
You obviously haven't seen the screen comparisons. I myself am pissed because I got a slim not that long ago and just to see the majorly improved LCD screen

I'm not big on the JRPGs so my list is drastically different but I do love me some good games

LocoRoco
Me and My Katamari
Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core
God of War Chains of Olympus
Syphon Filter Logans Shadow
Metal Slug Anthology
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (don't get portable ops +. it sucks)

[quote name='MikeHoncho']You obviously haven't seen the screen comparisons.[/quote]I've seen them. It seems like the only really substantial improvement is in glare reduction, which is all well and good, but since I'll mostly play indoors anyway I'm not too concerned about it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I've seen them. It seems like the only really substantial improvement is in glare reduction, which is all well and good, but since I'll mostly play indoors anyway I'm not too concerned about it.[/QUOTE]
Good point, nothing worth getting after you already have one. Sony really needs to start working on the PSP2. They are turning into Apple with their "improvements" ever damn year

[quote name='MikeHoncho']
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (don't get portable ops +. it sucks)[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately Portable Ops is impossible to find while Ops + is on shelves everywhere.

Portable ops is hard to find? I have a copy I might be able to give up if someone is really interested. It's in great condition with case and manual and isn't the greatest hit release

I have a PSP 1000 in great condition so I won't be buying a new PSP anytime soon, barring some unfortunate accident. Anyway, I've seen the new LCD comparisons. That's all fine and dandy, but the real question is, is the battery life the same?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I've seen them. It seems like the only really substantial improvement is in glare reduction, which is all well and good, but since I'll mostly play indoors anyway I'm not too concerned about it.[/quote]

I agree, it just looks like a improvement in glare reduction and maybe brightness to me. Anyways, is the current screen bad at all? If the current screen is fine (i'd play indoors as well) then why wait until November for an improvement that I don't really care about/need?

Also, how many different colors/bundles are out there right now? I know obviously of the 'core' black one, the silver Daxter (discontinued?), the red Kratos/GoW, and the new blue Madden one. Right now i'm leaning towards the God of War bundle with the Kratos pic on the back and the red looks sweet. Do any of them over time accumulate more fingerprints/dust etc than the others that I should care about?

I was going to buy a PSP a few days ago but I decided to hold off until the 3000 is out simply due to the better refresh rate on the screen. I have a backlog for my PS3 right now so those games will hold me over until october.

I mean, if you are patient you might as well wait. Even if the "improvements" are minor they are still improvements. I can only see getting a 2000 version right now if you really want a PSP this minute. As for the hackable state of the 2000, I guess that all depends upon you. Personally, if the PSP 3000 is hackable or not is not a deal breaker for me. I picked up that disease called "likes to own actual copies of things".

it's funny that the Madden bundle was just announced and shortly after that they introduced the slim 3000 :roll:.

I would wait out for the psp 3000, isn't it bundled with a camera + mic? Anyway, besides that for me the glare is a big problem. I have the 2000 and if i'm outdoors or anywhere near an area with lots of sun I either can't see very well or see the screen at all. And yes I do have the Hori anti-glare screen protector but that doesn't seem to work. If the glare is substantially reduced on the 3000 that would be fantastic. I'm going to guess if the 3000's MSRP is $199.99 the other bundles will probably drop to $169.99 and the black core $149.99.

The silver one is hot, even though it looks like a low grade version (no artwork) of the CC PSP. Regarding PSP2 there won't be one anytime soon, the PSP is supposed to be around for a good 10 years before the next one is released, that's Sony's 10 year plan for ya.

I recommend these games:
Echochrome
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Lumines II
Man Hunt 2
Socom: Fire Team Bravo 2
Tekken: dark ressurection
Warriors Orochi

[quote name='InertiaXr']I agree, it just looks like a improvement in glare reduction and maybe brightness to me. Anyways, is the current screen bad at all? If the current screen is fine (i'd play indoors as well) then why wait until November for an improvement that I don't really care about/need?

Also, how many different colors/bundles are out there right now? I know obviously of the 'core' black one, the silver Daxter (discontinued?), the red Kratos/GoW, and the new blue Madden one. Right now i'm leaning towards the God of War bundle with the Kratos pic on the back and the red looks sweet. Do any of them over time accumulate more fingerprints/dust etc than the others that I should care about?[/quote]

here's a list of available colors/bundles available in the US. Just look at the top 5, that's what you'll typically find in stores. If you're worried about fingerprints avoid piano black, dust depends on where you store it and how you take care of it. Yeah I think the Daxter and Star Wars bundles are discontinued since the GoW and Madden bundles replaced them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/11076481/ref=pd_ts_vg_nav

There are more colors but they're exclusively for japan (region coding). Of course you could always import them if you don't care about watching UMD movies :).

[quote name='KSHLove']I'm going to guess if the 3000's MSRP is $199.99 the other bundles will probably drop to $169.99 and the black core $149.99.[/quote]I think they've already said the MSRPs will remain the same; $170 for core packs and $200 for bundles. But initially the 3000 will only be available in a bundle, you won't be able to buy it alone until later in the year.

bread's done
Back