Buying a new TV and im an IDIOT when it comes to this. Please help me!

ZiggyGod

CAGiversary!
Feedback
73 (100%)
Im buying a new tv just for gaming on my xbox 360 and maybe watching bluray movies through my laptop via HDMI. This tv will be going in my room so ill pretty much be gaming from like 6 ft distance. Ive narrowed my choice down to these. Which one out of these should I get? Please help me and give me advice im an idiot when it comes to these things.

http://yfrog.com/f/jbplj0j/

Im leaning between the Sharp Aquos & the Panasonic Viera. Let me know guys. Thanks!

Sony BRAVIA® KDL32EX400
Samsung LN40C500
Sharp Aquos LC40D68UT
Panasonic VIERA® TC-P42C2
LG 42PJ350

Listen I dont normally post but Im only helping you because it took me 6 months to learn everything about wich tv to buy, first of all how much money are you willing to spend?

Ty sir, $500 is my limit pretty much these tv here are my final choices cuz I work at Sears and Ill be getting a discount for them.

Since you'll only be viewing from a 6ft distance you probably won't notice much of a difference in 720p vs 1080p. Personally, I would go Plasma, as you have superior viewing angles/blacks/color saturation. Most Plasmas such as the C2 use a 600hz compared to the 60hz/120hz of LCDs which is why you see a soap opera effect with LCDs. Plasmas tend to have a more natural-film like color and quality to them whereas LCDs have a more cartoony look and color to their tones. LCDs do consume less power but with the new NeoPDPs coming out, the ratio is slowly shrinking.

Out of any of them, I would choose the TC-P42C2 for "bang for you buck" TV people praise it for. Although it's not super-thin like todays LCDs you get superior overall picture which is what everyone looks for in TVs. Also, plasmas such as the Panasonic test lowest for input lag, ranging from about 35-40ms (correct me if i'm wrong) which is one of the most important factors for gamers PERIOD!

Read more about the C2 here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246688

Also not the true resolutions of many games aren't 1080p, rather some subpar 720p, but the Xbox has the ability to scale games to the 1080p format( I know some games on XBL marketplace are 1080p). 1080p would also be ideal for Blu-Ray but wouldn't really detach from the experience IMO. What matters more is the TV, not the resolution.

Panasonic is the way to go also plasmas are the best looking tvs just keep in mind burn in, just take care of your tv and you will be ok

[quote name='ZiggyGod']Be3fJerky, thanks a lot~! You made my choice way easier now. Seriously thank you![/QUOTE]
No problem, but instead of taking my opinion for what it is, you should make a decision based upon your own needs. Do at least a little bit of research and get the TV most suited to YOU. Both Plasma and LCD have their pros and cons(though i come off as a plasma fan-boy).

When it comes down to it, stand in front of the tvs and see which one looks better to you. Everyone has different viewing tastes. Some want bright colors (lcd), others want natural colors and dark blacks (plasma).

[quote name='Be3fJerky']Since you'll only be viewing from a 6ft distance you probably won't notice much of a difference in 720p vs 1080p. Personally, I would go Plasma, as you have superior viewing angles/blacks/color saturation. Most Plasmas such as the C2 use a 600hz compared to the 60hz/120hz of LCDs which is why you see a soap opera effect with LCDs. Plasmas tend to have a more natural-film like color and quality to them whereas LCDs have a more cartoony look and color to their tones. [/QUOTE]
I like plasma too, but nearly everything you've written here makes me :wall:

If i had the money, i would go for the AQUOS LED. :(

But yeah, Panasonic is top tier when it comes to plasmas. you should grab one if it meets your needs.

I would say wait a few months. I have also been looking at TVs lately and everywhere I look people are saying to wait a few months longer, unless you find an amazing deal. The sales of HD TV's are plummeting, so the prices will be a lot lower here shortly.

I wanted to get a Panasonic plasma myself but the whole issue of their 2009 TVs losing brightness (I think that was the problem) in just one year scares me. Can I really trust the 2010 models to be any better?

[quote name='zeldaking']I wanted to get a Panasonic plasma myself but the whole issue of their 2009 TVs losing brightness (I think that was the problem) in just one year scares me. Can I really trust the 2010 models to be any better?[/QUOTE]
Supposedly the 2010 models = G25/20, VT25, S2 have rising black levels. But these are all quality TVs regardless of the issue and will offer substantially deep inky blacks when in comparison to other TVs. If I had the money, I would still purchase them due to the high regard they get from reviewers. The rising blacks wouldn't bother me, I'm pretty sure most casual, non-videophiles won't notice the difference anyways.

I actually just picked up an 09 model, TC 42PX24 for $415, pretty good deal if you ask me. Almost the same model as the C2 but has the AR Filter and a VGA input, other than that the specs are pretty identical.

I have a 32 inch Aquos LCD and it rocks pretty hard. I did game on it but moved it to the bedroom when I bought another 50 inch Panny Plasma for the living room. The older 50 inch Plasma is now in my game room.

I have been very happy with Panasonic plasma tvs. I got some burn in on the first one due to my own fault. I know some people don't like to game on plasma tvs but I must be honest and can't understand why this is.

If you're not going to be much more than 5-6 feet out from the tv, then might I suggest a smaller tv or even a computer monitor.

I game on a 21.5" monitor with an HDMI out on it and it works fine for my needs, but the sound on a monitor may be a bit less than adequate.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']Supposedly the 2010 models = G25/20, VT25, S2 have rising black levels. But these are all quality TVs regardless of the issue and will offer substantially deep inky blacks when in comparison to other TVs. If I had the money, I would still purchase them due to the high regard they get from reviewers. The rising blacks wouldn't bother me, I'm pretty sure most casual, non-videophiles won't notice the difference anyways.
[/QUOTE]
I remember that, and I've long wondered just how bad it gets. Once the black level settles, so to speak, how does it compare to a quality LCD (local dimming LEDs notwithstanding). It's an unfortunate issue, but if the lighter blacks are still the best blacks I would still recommend plasma, especially given their other advantages.

At 6 feet away, 26-32" seems best. I'm 8 feet away and when imersed in a game my 1080p 26" seems enoromous. I would say try finding a 720p or 1080p 32" LED

[quote name='pixi']I'm 8 feet away and when imersed in a game my 1080p 26" seems enoromous. I would say try finding a 720p or 1080p 32" LED[/QUOTE]
Seriously? I sit about the same distance from my 40" set and I'm often thinking, I should have gone with 46".

Needless to say, I've been fighting the upgrade bug for a while...

[quote name='Allnatural']Seriously? I sit about the same distance from my 40" set and I'm often thinking, I should have gone with 46".

Needless to say, I've been fighting the upgrade bug for a while...[/QUOTE]

Now that I think about it a 32"-40" is much better. When I look at it for at least 5 minutes though it seems huge. All tvs do because you're focused on it for so long.

What about a 37" set?

[quote name='zeldaking']I wanted to get a Panasonic plasma myself but the whole issue of their 2009 TVs losing brightness (I think that was the problem) in just one year scares me. Can I really trust the 2010 models to be any better?[/QUOTE]

Panasonic claims 'all is well' every year but people continue having issues with them. My 2009 Panasonic stopped working at about 14 months. I was pretty much screwed - even with Panasonic admitting they have an issue and offering to pay for the hardware I was still looking at $500 in repairs. So, I ended up with a Sharp Aquos (from Sears).

Sears is an awesome place to buy tv's. You can actually be in and out in under 10 minutes if you know what you want.

This is worth a look:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1001318

I've had a Panasonic plasma since 2007 and it is crazy awesome. My brother-in-law liked mine so much he bought the 42" equivalent of my 50". I keep going to the store and checking out LCD's and there are a few things about LCD's and LED's that make me stay far away.

First is the refresh 60hz-120 and etc. Many of the TV's with these crazy fast refresh rates look like they are in fast forward to me. In fact my parents bought one and it gave me a migraine that lasted 3 days! I refuse to get an LCD/LED for this alone. Plasma doesn't not suffer from image blur and you don't have to worry about refresh rate.

Second was viewing angle , however; at 6 ft you probably don't have to worry about it too much.

The only thing I don't like about my plasma which is fixed in all new plasmas , is heat output. My room is a 10x11 game room and it turns into a flipping oven. After about 3 hours I'm stripped down naked with fan on full blast! In the winter I block off all heat to the room because it heats the entire room easily LOL.

There has never been an issue with my TV and the dimming or whatever. No image burn in. Actually once I paused a game and left for 6 hours and the menu was "burned in" however all you have to do is download a video of a white screen, burn it to dvd and play it. White screen removed it after 5 minutes. I've never had a problem since.

Rob

[quote name='torosama']I've had a Panasonic plasma since 2007 and it is crazy awesome. My brother-in-law liked mine so much he bought the 42" equivalent of my 50". I keep going to the store and checking out LCD's and there are a few things about LCD's and LED's that make me stay far away.

First is the refresh 60hz-120 and etc. Many of the TV's with these crazy fast refresh rates look like they are in fast forward to me. In fact my parents bought one and it gave me a migraine that lasted 3 days! I refuse to get an LCD/LED for this alone. Plasma doesn't not suffer from image blur and you don't have to worry about refresh rate.

Second was viewing angle , however; at 6 ft you probably don't have to worry about it too much.

The only thing I don't like about my plasma which is fixed in all new plasmas , is heat output. My room is a 10x11 game room and it turns into a flipping oven. After about 3 hours I'm stripped down naked with fan on full blast! In the winter I block off all heat to the room because it heats the entire room easily LOL.

There has never been an issue with my TV and the dimming or whatever. No image burn in. Actually once I paused a game and left for 6 hours and the menu was "burned in" however all you have to do is download a video of a white screen, burn it to dvd and play it. White screen removed it after 5 minutes. I've never had a problem since.

Rob[/QUOTE]

I actually really enjoy the 120hz ratio. Dunno why just do. The plasmas however have a 600hz refresh ratio. I don't know How this effects the picture but I would think that would make the refresh ratio more evident?

They put that 600hz on there because people buying LCD's that hear about the refresh rate being a major factor when buying.. wonder what the plasma is. Refresh on a plasma is a complete non-issue, I don't even know why they put it on them, it's like putting a refresh rate on the old CRT tv's.

[quote name='torosama']They put that 600hz on there because people buying LCD's that hear about the refresh rate being a major factor when buying.. wonder what the plasma is. Refresh on a plasma is a complete non-issue, I don't even know why they put it on them, it's like putting a refresh rate on the old CRT tv's.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. It's claimed that it reduces phosphor lag, but I think it's just marketing. More importantly, it's not the same as the 120-240Hz feature with some LCDs (which itself is not the sole reason for the "soap opera effect").

I think plasma has it's place too, however..There are some disadvantages.

1.Image Retention
2.Screen Door effect (only when viewing at close distances)
3.Heat output/Power consumption (YMMV)

I'm no expert, but these have been my findings. GL

With my drafty house, I wouldn't mind a tv that also acted as a space heater right about now.

Plasmas can also be susceptible to glare.

[quote name='salty tbone']
Plasmas can also be susceptible to glare.[/QUOTE]
A lot of LCDs have glossy screens, so it's a moot point.

[quote name='HipnotiK']this 42 inch 1080p LG is 550 bucks with a promo code:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...210-_-EMC-120210-Index-_-LCDTV-_-89005148-L0A

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...EFL120210-_-EMC-120210-Index-_-E0-_-PromoWord[/QUOTE]
I recommend this if going for an LCD display. 42" models confirmed by the good folks at the AVS forums are IPS panels.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=19614534&postcount=1201
Should you decide to go with a Plasma then the Panasonic G25 is a good place to start.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...ref=sr_1_8?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1291918868&sr=1-8
However if you're the type to game for long periods of time then image retention may be an issue.

Whichever display you choose be sure and disable any post processing effects to keep input lag at a minimum.

bread's done
Back