Buying a PS3 question.

Frosty The Batman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
223 (100%)
I was going to finally pick up a PS3 today but caught wind of an 80gig coming out for the same $399.99 price tag as the current 40gig.

A friend of mine said you can take out the memory and add huge 300gig+ to the console. Is that true at all? If it is then I don't mind getting the 40gig now.

I don't care about playing PS2 games as it turns out my launch PS2 still does that.

Any help would be helpful.
Thanks.

Your friend is right. I think a 300 gig hard drive that will fit can be found in the $100 range if you look a bit.

There is supposed to be an 80 gb non-PS2 BC PS3 coming out fairly soon, since I believe even Sony has stopped selling the 40 gb on their website(sonystyle.com).

However, since you can upgrade your own hard drive in the PS3, the size of the hard drive doesn't matter one bit really. All you need really is a 2.5" laptop drive to upgrade.

Might I suggest reading the FAQs on the PS3 FAQ thread, since they were written by people much more knowledgeable about the PS3 than I.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165729

There's also an unofficial hard drive upgrading thread, but I can't seem to find it at this moment.

Excellent. Thanks for the help.
Would it be better to buy a new one versus a used one?
Gamestop has them for $399.99 new and $349.99 used.
There's a great chance I'll be swinging by in 2 or so hours to pick one up.
Thanks again.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Excellent. Thanks for the help.
Would it be better to buy a new one versus a used one?
Gamestop has them for $399.99 new and $349.99 used.
There's a great chance I'll be swinging by in 2 or so hours to pick one up.
Thanks again.[/quote]

New = 1 year warranty coverage from Sony. Downfall is you have to ship it to Sony when it breaks so you'll be out of a system for a couple weeks.

Used =Not sure. But guessing there is a short warranty of hopefully at least 30 days, and then they might ask you to pay for their warranty plan. Upside is you can go right into Gamestop and have them swap it, but only if they have it in stock and then you have to buy a new warranty.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']It's only 50 bucks. Don't risk it; get a new one.[/quote]

That's what I was leaning towards.
Plus there's no tax in Massachusetts today, so that means I'm saving $20 right there.

Well I'm off to pick up the newest member of my family.

Thanks for everyones help!

bread's done
Back