Buying a SSD

dcm1602

CAGiversary!
So im buying my first solid state drive and had a question

First I have two "normal" hard drives, and wanted to add a SSD just for gaming. That wouldnt cause me performance issues since I was going to leave my OS on a normal hard drive right ?

I dont care how long my OS takes to boot up, I just want my games to load crazy fast

Like there wouldnt be issues having a SSD as a "gaming only" hard drive (ie installing JUST sc2, diablo 3 etc etc on the hard drive) ?

And my other question (not expecting anyone to answer this, but if they do

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, im reading about RAID ACHI and all that stuff

If I just want to add a solid state drive, I dont have to mess around any of that crap do I ?

Or is it just plug and play ?

I built my computer ~ 5 years ago and havent really messed around with it since (other than updating my GPU), and have forgotten a crap ton since then. 

If installing a SSD is gonna be a huge project or complicated im gonna skip it, but if all i have to do is screw it into the bay, hook up my 2 cables, and format it. Well then perfect

Why make this harder for yourself? Put OS and games on SSD, and use your old HDD for storage.
Im looking into that as well

to do that I wouldnt have to physically move any of my old hard drives around right?

(ie primary drive doesnt have to be in a certain spot PHYSICALLY)

I can just add the new drive + screw it in

Sata + power cables

Change drives from IDE - ACHI in BIOS

Set new drive as primary from boot order

, reinstall windows on it

Profit?

Am I off ?

Im looking into that as well

to do that I wouldnt have to physically move any of my old hard drives around right?

(ie primary drive doesnt have to be in a certain spot PHYSICALLY)

I can just add the new drive + screw it in

Sata + power cables

Change drives from IDE - ACHI in BIOS

Set new drive as primary from boot order

, reinstall windows on it

Profit?

Am I off ?
If you only want the SSD to gaming, then yes you can just add it and not move around the other drives. It will be recognized by your OS and just format it first. Then there's tutorials around steam that you can point your install folder too. You can even just drag and drop the steam folder with a few tweaks without re-downloading and installing everything if I remember correctly.

However, if you have a ton of games or anticipate a backlog like most CAGs, a good sized SSD is pricey and you should start at least 512GB. I personally have a 128GB SSD for OS and storage drive with games and unimportant software at 1TB which is too small after 1.5 yrs already. I plan to expand to a 2TB soon. Having a SSD for OS is more beneficial in the long run since only load times will be reduced with the SSD and the price ratio for that performance is minimal to me compared to having the faster OS which benefits for programs overall.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up putting the OS on the SSD

Got 128gb on that, 500gb on my other hard drive, and 2.5 TB in external hard drives on my network

I dont really get a backlog on the PC

Consoles I get a huge backlog, but on the PC I usually get something, play the shit out of it, then discard it

Mostly mmos, sc2, diablo that kinda stuff

bread's done
Back