Buying car insurance and registering a car for the first time

Jess Stryker

Mama said to knock you out
Ok, so I recently bought a 99 Ford Explorer and to be honest, I'm a complete noob when it comes to doing things in "the real world".

First set of questions, I bought my car in PA and have all the paperwork. However, I live in WV. Looking it up, WV requires a bill of sale when buying from a private seller. While I do have paperwork that says it was a gift and such (I paid $800 off the books), PA does not require a bill of sale, so I don't have that exact paper (I do have something which may or may not be accepted in it's place, I don't know). Provided it's not accepted and I need a bill of sale, then what? I bought the truck off this guy's son (who my mom was dating until just recently). Problem is, my mom is moving away from him and wants nothing to do with him which could cause problems if I would need to contact his son for a bill of sale (I'm assuming she doesn't have the son's phone number but don't know for sure).

Also for registration, any idea how much it would cost? I know there's some sort of sales tax WV does, but not sure how they figure it out or any other costs to it. And would I need an inspection as well or can I just wait until the current one runs out (August iirc)?

As for car insurance, I think I get the basic idea, but want to make sure. Obviously, the parts where the other driver is at fault won't come into play if I'm at fault. But for bodily injury liability, if I'm in an accident via fault of the other driver, would this kick in if they're under or uninsured (and my un/under insured driver doesn't cover it fully)? If not, then what?

Other than that, what would you guys recommend for minimum coverage? Keep in mind, I'm currently averaging 23 hours a week on minimum wage (7.50). As far as collision, comprehensive, emergency road service, and rental reimbursement go, I have no intention of getting them. I'm in a low risk area as far as theft and natural disasters go, can probably use my dad's jeep if I absolutely need to, and being an $800 truck, collision probably isn't worth it.

Edit: Something I just noticed (Allstate website). When getting a quote, I noticed that it says (for this particular one) $83 per month, but it also says $820 for 6 months. How's that make any sense?

bread's done
Back