Buying M Rated Games at Gamestop

School ID with a date of birth allowed. If they say you need govt ID tell them its not the law and the school ID has the date therefore they have to accept it.

It does have my date of birth, but for example I tried to trade in a game and they turned me away, just wondering if the policy extends to M-rated games.

[quote name='LeafPanda']It does have my date of birth, but for example I tried to trade in a game and they turned me away, just wondering if the policy extends to M-rated games.[/QUOTE]

If that store turned you away for trade ins, they'll most likely turn you down for M-rated games. YMMV.

They probably turned you down for trade in likely because pawn/trade laws in your state require a valid government issued ID. Sounds like its a toss up for selling M rated games and probably depends on store policy, unless its state law in which case they probably need a government issued ID.

M rated games are 17 and up, right? Why not go learn to drive and get a driver's license? Or just go to the DMV and get a state issued ID card. If you're 17 you're going to need more government issued ID in the near future for more than buying and selling video games.

You need an adult; at one Gamestop I saw a mother with two children doing a trade-in and for some crazed reason they took the mom's ID while having the seven-year-old sign :roll: Anyhow, you're probably caught somewhere between the M-rated games policy and the "we're technically a pawn shop" policy.

Man, this brings back good memories when shopping with my Dad around age 16, he'd be like "So you want that Resident Evil 2? It looks like a good game. M-rated? Whatever, let's get it."

[quote name='Nemesis135n']School ID with a date of birth allowed. If they say you need govt ID tell them its not the law and the school ID has the date therefore they have to accept it.[/QUOTE]

pray tell what exactly is the law you're referring to.

[quote name='LeafPanda']or a passport?[/QUOTE]

Maybe. Depends on state law and/or store policy. It might not fly if either the state or the store requires the ID to be swiped/scanned. I know Target's policy is to swipe your ID on M rated games and you really have to fight with a manager to avoid having your info swiped into their database. I think they do it as a cover-their-ass policy so they can't be accused of selling M rated games to minors, as well as other things like booze and whatnot.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Is there a law?[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Why not use Google and look it up for your state? Every state will vary.

[quote name='Nemesis135n']School ID with a date of birth allowed. If they say you need govt ID tell them its not the law and the school ID has the date therefore they have to accept it.[/QUOTE]

There is no "law" period. It's a store policy, they could technically refuse you for whatever reason they want. I guess it's YMMV here depending on the person, but if your date of birth is on the card and you are over 17 or 18 (I'm not sure which it is) it might work. Don't have a driver's license/ permit/ id card? It's not that hard to get one of the three, and it might save you some headaches in the future.

I just started working at GameStop, and it's store policy that if you look/are under 17, you need ID proving your over 17, otherwise you need a parent/guardian to purchase M-rated games.

Driver's License and passport will work for sure. Not sure about school ID, depends if it has your birth date on it, and even then I'm not sure.

The federal law is you have to be 17+ years or older with identification issued by the state. It is actually illegal for a clerk to sell a minor without an id. Even if you are seventeen with no ID then you will need a parent with you.

[quote name='bdb2m']There is no "law" period. It's a store policy, they could technically refuse you for whatever reason they want. I guess it's YMMV here depending on the person, but if your date of birth is on the card and you are over 17 or 18 (I'm not sure which it is) it might work. Don't have a driver's license/ permit/ id card? It's not that hard to get one of the three, and it might save you some headaches in the future.[/QUOTE]
there actally is a Federal law that says that you are not allow to sell a rated M game to a Minor or anyone without an ID. Every store does it now. The ESRB is a government funded agency. But it files taxes as a private agency.

[quote name='KOTOR MASTER']there actally is a Federal law that says that you are not allow to sell a rated M game to a Minor or anyone without an ID. Every store does it now. The ESRB is a government funded agency. But it files taxes as a private agency.[/QUOTE]

No, there is not a federal law. The closest it got to becoming a state law(never a federal law) was when Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Association went to the Supreme Court and was deemed unconstitutional.

Further, the ESRB is NOT a government funded organization, it is a non-profit organization that is funded mostly by the industry as a form of self-regulation. Google/wikipedia it if you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bdb2m']No, there is not a federal law. The closest it got to becoming a state law(never a federal law) was when Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Association went to the Supreme Court and was deemed unconstitutional.

Further, the ESRB is NOT a government funded organization, it is a non-profit organization that is funded mostly by the industry as a form of self-regulation. Google/wikipedia it if you need to.[/QUOTE]

This man (I'm assuming male based on the avatar) is correct. I HATE explaining this to people every time this issue rears its head (which is quite often on internet forums). Thank you sir for beating me to the punch.

BUT, as an FYI, the U.K. (and probably other countries) does have laws against selling "mature" games to minors. Of course, GameStop isn't in the U.K. (that I'm aware), so it's obvious we're dealing with U.S. laws here.

Yeah the ESRB is put together by the video game industry, not the government. The whole point is to keep government and its meddling hands out.

The whole California lawsuit went beyond what the ESRB does to police the game selling industry. But I don't know if another state actually replicates the ESRB policy into law, even if it would be redundant.

Maybe the ESRB has a policy on acceptable forms of ID that they suggest retailers follow?

[quote name='KOTOR MASTER']there actally is a Federal law that says that you are not allow to sell a rated M game to a Minor or anyone without an ID. Every store does it now. The ESRB is a government funded agency. But it files taxes as a private agency.[/QUOTE]

do you enjoy just making shit up?

[quote name='confoosious']do you enjoy just making shit up?[/QUOTE]

Apparently. With the new user tag, I think he might have been trolling...the filing taxes part was absurd.

Either way, to OP, hope it works out for you, but if you are of age you really should consider just getting an id card. It's a hassle but better than having to deal with this type of thing all the time.

I got carded at Gamestop a while ago, I just turned 30 years old. Its kind of disturbing that a clerk thought that I looked like I am under 17!!!!! I assume they don't have a card everyone policy because I have bought M rated games without being carded before.

[quote name='sasukekun']I just started working at GameStop, and it's store policy that if you look/are under 17, you need ID proving your over 17, otherwise you need a parent/guardian to purchase M-rated games.

Driver's License and passport will work for sure. Not sure about school ID, depends if it has your birth date on it, and even then I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

in less than a month I will be 29 years old

I was just carded about a week ago when buying a mature rated game, and it wasn't the first gamestop clerk to card me within the last year

I look young for my age, but I'm pretty sure I look older than 17

Some of you people must never buy liquor. Some stores have a policy of if you are / look 35 and under they card. Some stores have a policy to card everyone no matter what.

Must be state-issued ID (Driver's License or non-Driver's License card from state DMV, passport, or military ID with DoB on it only. Also the ID card MUST NOT be expired, especially on cash trades.) Anyone looking under 30 is supposed to be carded.

Some managers may make it mandatory for all ID's to be seen regardless of age, this is usually during big M-rated game weeks like Battlefield, Halo, or Call of Duty but that is YMMV.

If an employee is caught selling an M-rated game to a minor (ESRB sting, secret shopper, etc.) clerk is auto-fired and store manager gets final warning write up.

Also you must be 18 to do cash trades (depends on state law but that's fairly standard) and you must surrender your ID for the employee to take down all info (specifically the ID number) so that's probably why the mother's ID was taken for the kids trade-in the above poster talked about.

I'm 11 years old.

I buy all my games online. I usually pay at least 5% less than MSRP and I never pay for shipping or taxes. I never go to GameStop to buy games because that means riding the bus, which costs money and I'm not allowed to do alone. I save money which I deposit into my college fund. This ensures a future with more educational options.

I'm not 18. I don't have an ID. I don't get carded for what I buy, and I get Modern Warfare 3 delivered right to me on launch day. Plus, I pay about $8 less than what the people walking into my local GameStop will pay.

You obviously have access to the internet. Why are you shopping at GameStop?

[quote name='jantzn']I'm 11 years old.

I buy all my games online. I usually pay at least 5% less than MSRP and I never pay for shipping or taxes. I never go to GameStop to buy games because that means riding the bus, which costs money and I'm not allowed to do alone. I save money which I deposit into my college fund. This ensures a future with more educational options.

I'm not 18. I don't have an ID. I don't get carded for what I buy, and I get Modern Warfare 3 delivered right to me on launch day. Plus, I pay about $8 less than what the people walking into my local GameStop will pay.

You obviously have access to the internet. Why are you shopping at GameStop?[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Maybe his parents don't have an amazon account?
Maybe he doesn't want his parents to know he is buying this?
..plenty of other factors to consider...

[quote name='Survivalism']Doesn't that make it illegal for you to be here?[/QUOTE]

Fairly well-spoken for the age too, I must say. I suppose we'll have to put away all our cigars and stop the card games now :cry:

bread's done
Back