Buying PC for Gaming - am I a tool if I buy an Alienware?

Kanik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I want to buy a PC with an i7 processor and good video card. My current computer sounds like it will explode while playing Mass Effect 2 on my HDTV.

My problem: I don't have the time or patience to build a computer. So I'd rather buy a prepackaged one.

I notice the only deal on i7 systems are those that are refurbs, mainly the ASUS refurb that is running around. My current computer, that sounds like it may explode at any moment, is an ASUS system and as such I don't trust them.

So I'm thinking of getting an Alienware system on Dell for $1300 seeing as how all the i7 deals are for refurbs.

Is there another alternative for me other than building it myself or getting a refurb?

Another place to check out is www.ibuypower.com . I ordered a pc from there before and it was well built and lasted a damn long time... their prices seem to be very competitive too... check the "intel core i7 vday special"... cant say how the specs match up against the Alienware (as you didn't post them), but it looks like a damn good pc for $1070.

check delloutlet.com, you can get crazy deals on systems that people had built, but canceled before they shipped. you can only have one in your cart for 15min while you decide if you are gonna buy it, so refresh often, as the itens drop out of peoples cart a lot, and you can grab it.

The trouble with Alienware and many other pre-builds is that they use crappy video cards for the money. I've seen plenty of i7 cpu powered rigs using GT220, GT240 or HD4670 gpu's. I've also read that ibuypower has really bad customer service.

What I've done is find a good local pc shop. Buy the parts from Newegg or Micro Center and have that shop build it for me. You can always ask in forums about matching up the right hardware.You'll end up getting better parts for the same money and you don't have to worry about shipping damage (it's somewhat common for things to shake loose during shipping unless you pay extra for how it should have been shipped in the first place).

If you can spend the money, Alienware models are great. I had a friend help me build mine, it only cost me about $50 to pay him for his time.

Alienware = Dell. Dell= Highest return rate in the industry.

If you are looking for a gaming PC out of the box, then ibuypower.com, but if you know how to, then you sould build your own

[quote name='hitman9211']yeah even can try
dell and acer
dell have great market in asia acer in central asia.
and apple the best.[/QUOTE]

He said Gaming, I don't see how Apple can factor into this. Sure they are a well liked brand, but the majority of games never come to Apple.

I have purchased multiple computers from http://cyberpowerpc.com and am happy with their work. You need to know how much of a computer you want though and what your budget is. They have pre-configured models that you can modify or a configurator that allows you to pick everything from scratch. I recommend it. There are also several online retailers that resell their stuff including www.tigerdirect,com, www.amazon.com, www.newegg.com, etc.

-- Alex

If you buy from ibuypower, be prepared to fully inspect it. I ordered a computer from there and they switched out some of the parts I ordered with cheaper ones, probably to save money. It has also had a lot of problems since I got it.

go to dell outlet and buy a refurbished xps 8000 with an i7 860. I just bought one with 8gb ddr3, 750gb hdd, gtx 260, 22 inch full hd monitor-all with shipping and tax only $951.00
it rocks

[quote name='Sito']Alienware = Dell. Dell= Highest return rate in the industry.

If you are looking for a gaming PC out of the box, then ibuypower.com, but if you know how to, then you sould build your own[/QUOTE]

Eh, I dunno if I would say ibuypower is any better really just cheaper. I haven't really heard anything bad about Alienware desktops.

make your own computer....its cheaper...get way better price and you get exactly what you want...use newegg imo

Thanks for the help so far!

Is ibuypower and cyberpowerpc the same company? Their sites look terribly similar. I also don't know if I trust ibuypower...just because their site crashes my browser if I browse for too long.

The DellOutlet looks promising. What would be better, a "Scratch and Dent" or "Refurbished" computer? Or should I just hold out for one that never shipped?

I think you should build your own. It only takes one evening to do it after buying all the parts. It's very rewarding (IMO) and you don't have to sacrifice anything on specs. With most builds online, they use a lesser quality motherboard. also, if choosing from outlets, it's tough to find EXACTLY what you're looking for. And the price will just about always be considerably cheaper building your own. If you live near a MicroCenter, now's the time, as they have some incredible deals in the Build-Your-Own-Computer section.

Alienware is for tools with too much money who can't build their own system(granted they have came down since bought by Dell). Voodoo was popular and was bought by HP(have not much from their gaming division lately). If you're got the funds and don't want to build Maingear, Origin(some former
Alienware guys), Ballistic, Falcon, etc all make high end machines. I have never went the pre-built route since I feel most are largely over priced.

I think if you're going to be spending $1300 for a pc at least purchase a brand new system for that amount of money.

Just keep in mind that if you do go Dell and you decide to upgrade or make any changes in the future you might be strongly limited because their hardware is made from their own specifications and don't play nice with industry standards. For example...a new bigger/longer power supply might not fit properly, faster ram might not be possible because of motherboard specs and your videocard options might be limited as well... Now if you really don't care much about upgrading and have no problem shelling out another $1300-$1500 in another 2 years then by all means go for a Dell system.

The websites other CAGs have mentioned is a great start and would highly recommend taking the time to build your own if possible... there's a great satisfaction in knowing something you own is, to a certain extent, something you built....

I would recommend checking out http://maxforcepc.com/ They used to be called Solaris-PC and I almost ended up buying one from them but decided to build my own because I enjoy doing it. Anyways, here's an article about when the company started from Tom's Hardware when they used to be called Solaris-PC but had to changed names because of copyright issues. Here is a link from when they first started out http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/solaris-computer-systems-pc,1724.html When I was looking, the owner Max was very helpful and great to deal with. I personally haven't bought a system from them but it's something to check out. You can view a review article on one of their systems here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/MaxForce-GTX3-Review,2042.html Hope this helps :)

[quote name='CRH7386']I would recommend checking out http://maxforcepc.com/ They used to be called Solaris-PC and I almost ended up buying one from them but decided to build my own because I enjoy doing it. Anyways, here's an article about when the company started from Tom's Hardware when they used to be called Solaris-PC but had to changed names because of copyright issues. Here is a link from when they first started out http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/solaris-computer-systems-pc,1724.html When I was looking, the owner Max was very helpful and great to deal with. I personally haven't bought a system from them but it's something to check out. You can view a review article on one of their systems here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/MaxForce-GTX3-Review,2042.html Hope this helps :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks, but when I click "Desktops" it gives me
Not Found

That's slightly disheartening. :lol:

ugh for 1100 dollars you can get a computer better than that if you build it yourself...it really only takes 30 minutes to put it all together once you get the pieces...just giving my opinion obv

[quote name='Sito']Alienware = Dell. Dell= Highest return rate in the industry.

If you are looking for a gaming PC out of the box, then ibuypower.com, but if you know how to, then you sould build your own[/QUOTE]

Not true... I work on computers. Compaq/HP and Asus = problems.

I'll second iBuypower if you really want to buy a PC on the web. I used to be a big "build it yourself" type of pc gamer, but sometimes I'd see a pre-built desktop deal that I can't just pass-up. That and I'm getting lazy nowadays between college and home life. IBuypower builds solid PCs without the flashy-ness of the other brands, so they tend to be closer in price to building it yourself, give or take 150-300 bucks.

Oh, and apparently they're running a V-Day sale of sorts... so you could jump on that.

[quote name='knotfan123']ugh for 1100 dollars you can get a computer better than that if you build it yourself...it really only takes 30 minutes to put it all together once you get the pieces...just giving my opinion obv[/QUOTE]
Does it require me to solder anything/have precise fingers?

I could have my brother put it together for me (so I don't shock anything!) but he has very shaky hands.

[quote name='horns456']He said Gaming, I don't see how Apple can factor into this. Sure they are a well liked brand, but the majority of games never come to Apple.[/QUOTE]

Apple computers can run Windows now. They have for years.

[quote name='Kanik']Does it require me to solder anything/have precise fingers?

I could have my brother put it together for me (so I don't shock anything!) but he has very shaky hands.[/QUOTE]

Last time I had to solder something to build a PC was about 6 years ago, and that's because I was working with a particular riser card WITH A SIZABLE CRACK THOUGH IT (part of my A+ training, if you're wondering).

In other words, no.

As for precise fingers, what is ideal are "soft-fingers": fingers with a tendency NOT to force parts into motherboards. I myself wields the famous sausage fingers, and I have no problems whatsoever with working in my PC. Shakiness isn't really a problem, imo, so I think you're good there.

[quote name='Kanik']Does it require me to solder anything/have precise fingers?

I could have my brother put it together for me (so I don't shock anything!) but he has very shaky hands.[/QUOTE]

For a first time builder it will take at least 2 hours probably to unpackage everything, get the screws in place and put the pieces together. No soldering is ever required when building a computer; everything is basically legos where they can only fit in one spot. Just make sure you ground yourself and build it away from any carpet. You will save at least $200 if not more if you build it yourself and you can choose parts that will last longer than any dell or alienware. The problem with alienwares or any pre-built computers is that usually cheap parts are substituted such as power supply, motherboard, ram, and hdd that most uniformed people tend to overlook. People who buy these computers fall in the habit of only looking at the CPU (especially the speed), video card, and only numbers for the other parts.
For example, a pre-built could have an i7, a gtx 260, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, 550w power supply, and a nice looking case. However what is neglected are the ram timings, the rpm and model of the hdd, and the model and efficiency of the power supply. The hdd could be some refurbished older model that won't perform quite as well as a similiar priced hdd today; the ram wil have high timings (bad) and high latency (bad); and the power supply will be some cheap brand rosewill or china made junk that won't give you enough room to upgrade in the future. The motherboard is often times an older model as well that will not have enough slots or efficiency to upgrade your gpu or other components or overclocking power respectively.
It's really not hard to build a pc yourself and in the end you will save a lot of money because you won't have to upgrade for a while. All it takes is a little bit of research and time.
Some sites to check out are Tom's Hardware, Anandtech and this thread: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=553826
Check the forums more than the articles as the articles sometimes tend to be biased.

Go with Dell. I bought my last 2 PCs from dell.com and have had no problems with them. Everyone says to build your own PC, but after pricing it out, building my own was substantially more than getting one from Dell with a coupon. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but making a PC from scratch having to buy a power supply, cords, case, fans, processor, mobo, ram, video card + misc pieces was hella expensive.

If you do buy from dell, buy your own graphics card off Newegg, the ones dell says are wasy overpriced.

Thanks! I'll post on that thread to see what I need. I don't really have time to research each part so someone just telling me "buy this, this and this" should put me at ease. Knowing me, I'll probably buy parts that are incompatible with each other.

[quote name='ChaoticClimax']Go with Dell. I bought my last 2 PCs from dell.com and have had no problems with them. Everyone says to build your own PC, but after pricing it out, building my own was substantially more than getting one from Dell with a coupon. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but making a PC from scratch having to buy a power supply, cords, case, fans, processor, mobo, ram, video card + misc pieces was hella expensive.

If you do buy from dell, buy your own graphics card off Newegg, the ones dell says are way overpriced.[/QUOTE]

You were definitely doing it wrong, unless this PC wasn't for gaming, or you were comparing a crappy Dell to a state-of-the-art self-built PC. I was able to build a PC from Newegg a year and a half ago for $600 that ran Crysis back then at near-max settings. A year and a half later you still couldn't do that via Dell.

[quote name='Kanik']Thanks, but when I click "Desktops" it gives me
Not Found

That's slightly disheartening. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what's going on with the site right now but if you do a forum post, such as this http://maxforcepc.com/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,26/func,view/id,4507/catid,3/ And you can ask for a price quote. Just tell Max what you want the system for and anything specific you want and how much you're willing to spend. He will put a system together for you and give you a quote. And if you want, I can look over what he gives you and tell you what I think. But I know he gives really good prices and has great quality.

It's fairly easy to put a computer together, even for a first-timer, but the BIGGEST issue is just making sure your motherboard and power supply support everything else. Additionally (but don't let this discourage you!) I've ordered two mobo's off Newegg in the past, and one was mislabled (it said it'd work with my CPU, but it didn't), and the other was DOA.

Newegg, however, has stellar customer service, should you require it. As well as the cheapest build-it-yourself prices.

Just get someone who's built a few here to give you the best bang for your buck, and you'll be set from there on. I also have a problem with static electricity, but I've tinkered inside my computer before, and assembled it, and had no issues, so don't let that put you down.

Though, if you're absolutely serious about not wanting to deal with putting it together, and don't care about saving 300-400$, then just go with IBuyPower.com -- Overall just a great place, very simple to customize, and cheaper than Alienware (which is all glamor).

[quote name='Haggar']Apple computers can run Windows now. They have for years.[/QUOTE]

True, but why go through the hassle when if you need Windows just avoid a Mac.

[quote name='horns456']True, but why go through the hassle when if you need Windows just avoid a Mac.[/QUOTE]

I personally wouldn't consider pressing a key to switch between an OS a "hassle", but to each his own. I use PCs at work, but only buy Apples for my personal use.

Just wanted to point out that OMG MACKS GOT NO GAEMZ isn't an issue anymore, because all new and recent Apple computers can run Windows just fine.

If you decide to build one on your own, I suggest googling Tom's Hardware and use their forums to help you on your build. You may even go on their forums, put down a budget range and people will suggest parts for you! Doesn't get easier than that :D

[quote name='Rhett']It's fairly easy to put a computer together, even for a first-timer, but the BIGGEST issue is just making sure your motherboard and power supply support everything else. Additionally (but don't let this discourage you!) I've ordered two mobo's off Newegg in the past, and one was mislabled (it said it'd work with my CPU, but it didn't), and the other was DOA.

Newegg, however, has stellar customer service, should you require it. As well as the cheapest build-it-yourself prices.

Just get someone who's built a few here to give you the best bang for your buck, and you'll be set from there on. I also have a problem with static electricity, but I've tinkered inside my computer before, and assembled it, and had no issues, so don't let that put you down.

Though, if you're absolutely serious about not wanting to deal with putting it together, and don't care about saving 300-400$, then just go with IBuyPower.com -- Overall just a great place, very simple to customize, and cheaper than Alienware (which is all glamor).[/QUOTE]

I've gotten 4-5 motherboards from Newegg, and 2 of them came DOA. They do pay for replacement, but it takes a week or two longer to get your PC together, which always annoyed me.

That said, I pretty much despise Alienware, but it seems most people here do also.

I also really think you should build your own. Getting a good case + PSU is pretty crucial, imo. I've had mediocre cases that put a lot of strain on cards before, and can sometimes pull my video card a little loose to where I have to open it up and re-seat it, for example. Better cases also usually mean a better airflow design, which can drop your internal temperature a few degrees, which can also help keep the internal hardware working longer. And a cheap PSU can fail in a year or two, and make you use more money in the long run.

It really isn't hard to put together a computer, and I personally have never in 10 years destroyed a chip by touch, and I handle ICs frequently. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, since I learned the theory of it in college, but it's never happened to me.

It does, however, take up a lot of time to find all the parts you want (both for performance and budget), but I'm sure there are guides for that everywhere. Putting together a PC will likely take more than 2 hours from scratch, especially if you've never done it (just putting the motherboard in the case could take the first-timer 30 minutes, for example).

BUT the good side is, you save money, get a PC perfectly suited for you, and you can swap out parts in the future if needed much more easily than you could if you bought a prebuilt. Want 6 HDDs in the future for some crazy RAID setup? You can plan ahead and buy a suitable case / motherboard. Want more than 4 USB ports so you don't need an external hub? You can plan for that too. The options go on and on, but that's why it's more time consuming.

If you like the idea of building something with your own hands and getting the exact parts you want for a good price build your own. If you dont want to take that step find a refurbed system. I got a refurbed xps 8000. Based on the components inside I only paid about $50 more bucks than had I built it myself. So I am happy with my core i7 860, Wind 7 64 bit with restore discs, 8gb ddr3 ram, 750gb HDD, gtx 260 GPU, 22" 1080p monitor, full warranty -shipped and tax included $951.00 It works great. I can play Fallout on max settings while downloading torrents and streaming video through my xbox onto my plasma with no studdering. $951 bucks -thanks Dell outlet!

i built my own. was really fun even though i hada broken mb. whats neat is i built that about a year ago and really my pc is still close to top of the line :)

id suggest taking it to local pc shop tho. they can even help ya order the parts if ya want, especially if you dont have time to build it(which was my case working long hours back then, was like go home spend hour on pc, sleep work only another hour, back to work:( )

alienware pcs are amazing, im sure you won't be disappointed if you can afford it. there are cheaper alternatives but obviously build quality won't be up to par.
also check out this site: http://digitalstormonline.com/
ive read tons of good stuff about them, they are a bit pricey, but cheaper than alienware.

I recommend going the local route if you are afraid to build it yourself. That's what I did after my alienware crapped out on me back in 2002 (pre-dell). They were pretty good and could offer a warranty.

However, over time, so much stuff would break on the computer that by the end of that cpu's life, I had replaced everything. The last steps I hadn't done myself were: install a motherboard into a case, and install a processor onto a motherboard.

So, I built the next machine myself:
http://donttellmetheending.com/2008/01/16/building-a-new-pc/
http://donttellmetheending.com/2008/02/11/computer-built/

It's rock solid, and awesome. It's way cheaper, and if anything breaks I know enough to troubleshoot it myself and just buy new parts. As you can see it is nearly two years old and the only thing I've "replaced" so far is swapping in some larger harddrives and a new monitor.

If you have 1-2 friends who have built a machine before, it really is easier than it looks. The main problem is if you have a dead on arrival part; so you put the whole thing together and it fails. The other hard part is installing the chip: Don't Bend the Pins! 0 pressure means 0. Don't press down. at all. really.

I picked out my parts with friends, and followed reviews that mentioned certain parts working together. Just be careful that it will all fit in the case. My heatsink just barely fits (I found one review that mentioned this, so I knew it'd be close). If you read the blogs, you'll see I had to put the power supply in upside down because I didn't do enough research.

bread's done
Back