Buying someones Warcraft account???

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I was looking on my local Craigslist and see several people selling their Warcraft accounts with their characters. My question is do I need to buy all the Warcraft games to play with the characters? I have never played and my son and I have thought about jumping onboard. What is the best class to be? I'd think about spending around $250 to buy a very nice account with top ranked characters, items, equip, mounts, etc. I also assume its better to buy from a local person since you can meet face to face verses buying from someone hundreds of miles away. For you Warcraft veterans which looks like the best buy:

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/vgm/2037011476.html

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/vgm/1995648826.html

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/vgm/1995589990.html

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/vgm/2062895864.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/vgm/2053880745.html

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=warcraft+account&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

This is entirely opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Despite many people complaining WoW is too 'casual', the game has a very steep learning curve for each class. Buying an account at top level is a bad idea, gold isn't entirely too important and anything else doesn't get passed down easily. You also have no idea how to play the class effectively and will not get in to any raids and be yelled at constantly in the random dungeons you join.

Kmart is selling the base game and Burning Crusade (One of two, soon to be three expansion packs) for $10 with a $5 gift card on Black Friday (Basically making it $15 for the both of you) and you get a month free out of that anyway. IT'd be way more cost effective and you can level together (Arguably the most fun thing in my opinion, leveling for the first time) and learn the game at the intended pace.

Buying an account also runs the obvious risk of getting it banned as buying accounts is against bliz's ToS.

I have to say, that's an awesome thing you're doing with your son :) I hope it works out for the best, I suggest the Hunter class as its got the highest room for error due to having a pet to soak up damage for you.

how would you buy it local? bring a laptop with you or something??

Isnt WoW part of the new blizzard ID system anyway? He would have to give you his b.net account as well.

So he changes the password for you, gives it to you, goes home, chooses "lost my password", then he gets an email to reset the password and you loose all your $

:p

Not to mention - buying/selling characters and accounts is something that's strictly forbidden. If they find out you did it, expect to lose that account and be unable to get your stuff refunded.

Furthermore, there's no way to know which class is going to fit you. Every class plays differently and uses its own resources. You definitely shouldn't be paying any amount of money for a class you've never played and might not even enjoy. Then you have to consider that a new expansion is coming soon, so a character's current gear won't mean anything...you're better left just starting your own characters.

So, here's my advice...

0) If you don't already, create 2 battle.net accounts - one for yourself, and one for your son.

1) Find someone to get a "Recruit-a-friend" pass from. You won't get much out of this, since you're not likely the play with the person recruiting you, but you will get a trial and'll be able to play as some of the classes. If you want one, pm me.

2) If you like the game, get the Battle Chest (WoW + Burning Crusade) at Wal-mart, as Hydro mentioned. Really is the best deal on it.

3) Register the game one the account that you ran the trial on. Once it's registered, it'll allow you to also recruit people. Send your son a recruit a friend pass. Then register the game on his account. Since you two will be playing together, this'll grant both of you greatly increased xp gain, as well as some other benefits.

Yeah, buying an account from somebody is extremely risky. As already mentioned, they can easily change the password on you as soon as they get the cash, and Blizzard will not help you get it back, since it wasn't yours in the first place.

And, as everybody has already said again, the game is designed that you have learned and played your class for 80 levels. People will not have patience with people who don't know how to play the game at all at that level. And there is always the chance that you won't like what class you buy.

Vanilla WoW is on sale for $5 with a free $5 giftcard at Kmart on Black Friday. They also have the battlechest for $10 with a free $5 giftcard. Do that.

I wouldn't buy it if I were you.

The original owner can still get the account back from you if they provide Blizz with all the info they want and you will be SOL.

Second since you and your son will be playing together IMO the best part of WoW is the lvln up experience mainly. You and your son will learn the ins and outs of the game playing from scratch and you will get to learn how to actually play your class.

What I suggest to do is you start a account then do refer a friend and make your son an account. That way with the refer a friend you will get a free month of game time out of it and a free 2 person mount once the second month of game time is paid for. Also with doing refer a friend, you get special perks like being able to summon one another to each other and you get exp much faster being grouped together doing quests and such.

If you find you need gold you can just buy some off a reputable site for cheap. Overall you will save a lot of money and get a much better experience for both of you if you do as described above.

Other players can pick out an "ebayer" (only who buys an account) a mile away cause they don't know what to do and are generally horrible. You don't want to start off like that.

i3w1ao.jpg

Thanks for the advice.I didnt know that if I bought an account the seller could just change his password back with Blizzard! I preordered World of Warcraft Cataclysm CE from Amazonand I planned on buying the other games on BF. How does it work best... to start off with Cataclysm or the origional first or does it even matter? I've played a ton of RPG and strategy games over the years but never any MMO games. I always liked being the tank in games more than spellcasting or using range weapons. My son though prefers long range weapons...I guess thats the FPS in him.

Last edited by a moderator:
In game, the Catalcysm shattering of Azeroth happens whether or not you have Cataclysm installed. Most of the content that requires Cataclysm is intended for use with higher level players.

Since you'll be starting off fresh, the main benefit of having Caraclysm registered is that you'll be able to create both Worgen and Goblin characters. Similarly, Burning Crusade allows you to create Draenei and Blood Elves.

Here's a small list of what expansions you'll need by level
1-60 - World of Warcraft base
60-70 - Burning Crusade
70-80 - Wrath of the Lich King
80-85 - Cataclysm

Yeah, I'd advise against it for 2 reasons. #1 as people said the original owner can EASILY get the account back, I myself actually did this once, I sold an old account and a year or so later checked on it and it turned out the dude that bought it had quit playing like 4 months earlier. So all I had to do was go to enter my security question and change the password and it was mine again.

Also I personally feel that a large part of the fun in WoW is getting to explore everything for the very first time. I know the temptation is to rush rush rush so you can get to endgame and raid, but really so many of my fondest WoW memories are on my first horde and first alliance character when I didn't know what I was doing and got explore stuff and be surprised. If you get a pre made 80 you'll miss out on almost all of that stuff. I also feel like once you hit 80 and raid for a few months you really start to get jaded and start to miss the simplicity and fun of just being able to log on and go do some new quests in an unexplored area. This is coming from someone that's been both a casual player as well as a being a hardcore raider in a guild going for and getting server firsts in my 5 or so years of playing so I've pretty much experienced it all when it comes to World of Warcraft.

Just my 2 cents though everyone plays the game differently and enjoys different aspects of it.

As for your other question that's tough. Ideally it would probably be cool to play through all the old zones and quests now before everything gets changed and then go back once cataclysm hits and play through it all on a new toon. That's a lot of work though and depending on your time and goals it might not be worth it and it might not even be possible for you to get to 80 by the release date depending on how much you play and how fast you level. As long as you don't think you'll care too much about missing the old content I think I'd just wait until Cataclysm releases and start your new character then. That way you can take your time and enjoy yourself.

I'm pretty sure (like 99.9999%) that you'll need original WoW, BC, WoTLK iand Catacylsm all installed to be able to play the new zones (like Vashir, Tol Barad, etc...) as well as getting to the new level cap. However if you have regular WoW and just buy Cataclysm you should be able to experience all the changes in the 1-60 zones (Although you might not even be able to install Cataclysm without having Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King already, not sure on that). In fact I'm not even sure you need Cataclysm to see all the new 1-60 stuff as I believe that's changing for everyone. To sum it up though you should plan on buying all the expansion packs if you want to play the game fully since you'll need all of them in order to get to the level cap. What you could always do to is just buy regular WoW and play that for a little while and if you think you like it and get into then just grab all the expansion packs.

[quote name='jimbodan']I'm pretty sure (like 99.9999%) that you'll need original WoW, BC, WoTLK iand Catacylsm all installed to be able to play the new zones (like Vashir, Tol Barad, etc...) as well as getting to the new level cap. However if you have regular WoW and just buy Cataclysm you should be able to experience all the changes in the 1-60 zones (Although you might not even be able to install Cataclysm without having Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King already, not sure on that). In fact I'm not even sure you need Cataclysm to see all the new 1-60 stuff as I believe that's changing for everyone. To sum it up though you should plan on buying all the expansion packs if you want to play the game fully since you'll need all of them in order to get to the level cap. What you could always do to is just buy regular WoW and play that for a little while and if you think you like it and get into then just grab all the expansion packs.[/QUOTE]

To clarify this:

You need The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King apply Cataclysm to your account. The Cataclysm expansion adds the two new races, Worgen and Goblins, and the new 80-85 zones. Azeroth is changing for EVERYBODY, expansion or not. The Shattering (The actual event that shatters Azeroth and changes it forever.) is rumored to happen on the 23rd or the 30th, before Cataclysm comes out.

I seriously recommend purchasing the battle chest on Black Friday at Kmart for $10 with a free $5 giftcard, then waiting until December 7th and hoping that Wrath of the Lich King goes on sale then, if you like the game, that is. With the battle chest, you won't have to buy Wrath until level 70, and Cataclysm until level 80, unless you want to create Death Knights (themselves requiring level 55 characters to create) or Worgens/Goblins.

bread's done
Back