Buying Sport Bike. Need info

hx214

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
hey guys, i'll looking for people on here that own newer (00-06)sport bikes. I'm looking into getting a Suzuki Katana 600 (I know its a sport tourer, so don't bother laughing) But it's my first bike(well i've had dirt bikes), so i'm not going in for the Gixxer, or the Ninja's, the Katana engine isn't suppose to have as much kick, plus I want to go on vacation and stuff with the bike, and they are suppose to be alot more comfortable for 2 people.

But anyway, my main concern is reliably. How do your bikes hold up? I ask because I just sold my Jet-ski's to get a bike, and those things are a bitch to maintain. I have rebuild cars from the ground up, and that didn't hold a candle to what I had to do with those jet-ski's. I just don't want to get into another, Spend 4 hours working on something, ride it for 4 hours, then spend 4 more hours working on it. I always work on my own machines (cars, tractors, etc..) so I was hoping to get someone's opinion out side of the biker forums.

Thanks

i used to own a 2001 R1, scared the shit outta me, so after 4 months, and thank god no crashes, i sold it... anyways the katana shouldnt be anywhere near the experience of the R1, most new(er) bikes hold up great and maintanance isnt any thing but routine...

Ya thats what I don't want to happen. I just want to have something to ride around with the girl friend in the summer, and drive to work on nice days. I don't want to become a smear on the road or the side of a truck. All my buddies that ride have the 600 and liter bikes, but I don't think I want that kinda power. But it's good to know you didn't have any mechanical proablems.

Thanks for the info

I have a 2006 Ninja 250 and it's been very reliable. Haven't been any problems with it, starts up fine, haven't needed to mess with it to get it to run. Just make sure to take care of your bike, regular oil changes and such, and it should be fine.

Speaking of bikes (sorry to hijack the thread, but it's semi-related)... I'm planning on getting a bike once my current car gives up on me. I haven't looked into bikes yet, but I was wondering how you go about getting a motorcycle license. Do you have to buy the bike first, push it to the DMV and then take the test, or do you take the test first, get a provisional, buy the bike, then go finish the test? Or is there even a driving test to begin with? Is it just written or what? Just trying to figure it out.

[quote name='Warner1281']Speaking of bikes (sorry to hijack the thread, but it's semi-related)... I'm planning on getting a bike once my current car gives up on me. I haven't looked into bikes yet, but I was wondering how you go about getting a motorcycle license. Do you have to buy the bike first, push it to the DMV and then take the test, or do you take the test first, get a provisional, buy the bike, then go finish the test? Or is there even a driving test to begin with? Is it just written or what? Just trying to figure it out.[/QUOTE]

There's a couple of ways of going about it. The first way is to go to the DMV take a written test and get an instruction permit. With the permit you can then ride a bike under certain restrictions like only ride during the day, must wear proper protection(helmet, eye protection), etc. Once you've been riding awhile with the permit and are comfortable on a bike you can then take a skills test at the DMV and get your full motorcycle license.

Alternately, you can take a motorcycle riding course(approved by the DMV) and get a waiver for the skills test and you can take that waiver to the DMV, take the written test you would have taken for the instruction permit and get your full license. The class I took last year lasted only about a week for a few hours a day.

Of course some of this probably varies by state, so you'll probably want to look around at your state's DMV website to know what the exact process is like around you.

you have to get a huffy man. those 10 speeds of thrills will have you going..

ok seriously...how about an yamaha R6. my two friends owned them and said they were easy t o ride and wasnt over powered...i of course dream about a Honda CBR every night.

my buddies still own bikes, a few have r6's and a few cbr rr's, i wish i had my old R1 back, but the only thing stopping me is wanting to LIVE... lol, i went to crazy on my street bike, and i know i would again, so im staying way... weaving inbeween traffic at a buck twenty is fun until you become a smear on the highway...

bread's done
Back