Bye bye Dark_AleX

[quote name='Scorch']And if a decent, working emulator for the GBA (WITH SOUND) came out, then I'd be set.[/quote]

gPsp, that is the emualtor you are looking for.

[quote name='NamPaehc']

The only problem I can see about this is that if you wanted to actually play new PSP games, you'd have to give up your Homebrew. If not, then your Homebrew is fine because you all you have to do... is not update. Right???

That is the reason I asked. You posted a bunch of stuff so I guess it comes down to all that or new games doesn't it? I mean if you're a hard core homebrewer then you have nothing to worry about because people will make more and more toys for you on previous, "unlocked" versions.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Sony doesn't owe anybody anything. They made a system that does what it was designed to do, play games, music, movies, and has wifi.

Does anyone know what firmware version the latest PSP games such as Final Fantasy are requiring? If we don't get one last custom firmware version 3.50OE then we will definitely be locked out of some good games. For example 3.50 unlocked 333MHZ processing speed for upcoming games like God of War. Also I would like to re-ask my games saves compatibility question that no one looked at from an earlier thread below:

After switching to custom firmware 3.10OE one of the first games I wanted to play was Gran Turismo 2 since the PSP never got its proper Gran Turismo game. I wanted to be able to play the game on the PSP and then move my save onto my PS3 and back and forth at will so when my wife wants to watch her crappy soap operas I can switch over to PSP. There has been some problems with my experimentations. When I create a save on my PS3 hard drive for Gran Turismo 2 I can copy it to the memory stick duo but then it puts it in a "scuss94488" folder in the "savedata" folder on the memory stick. Then the PSP emulator cannot read that folder upon booting up the game. When I start a game and save it on the PSP it puts it in my custom "GT2save" folder that I set up. It reads it fine but when I go to move it onto the PS3 the system does not even recognize that the save is on the memory stick. So I made one save of each on the memory stick and compared both folders. Both folders appear to have the same files, config bin, icon 0, memcard1.dat, memcard2.dat, param.sfo. So I tried to swap the contents of one folder for the other and that doesn't work either. In fact moving the PS3 created save file to the "GT2save" folder actually corrupts the game and makes it unbootable until I remove the contents from the folder then it works again. Does anyone have any experience moving PSone game save files back and forth between the PS3 and the PSP using either custom firmware or official Sony firmware? I am running 3.10oe so I am wondering if one of the firmware updates has addressed this issue. We now have the ability to move PS1 saves from PS1 memory card to PS3 hard drive back and forth and it would be great to have the ability to move our saves from PS3 to PSP and back and forth. Any help?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Triple Triad (the card game from FF8)[/quote]

Triple Triad??? How is it? Dang TT would be sweet.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Does anyone know what firmware version the latest PSP games such as Final Fantasy are requiring? [/quote]

Well to answer one question.
Ive been able to play an imported FF2 in a store in chinatown on my psp and i got 3.30 OEA.
Maybe that helps?

lol

"homebrew" is a euphemism for ISOs and roms. Everyone knows homebrew games feel cheap and don't have much lasting appeal.

[quote name='Apossum']lol

"homebrew" is a euphemism for ISOs and roms. Everyone knows homebrew games feel cheap and don't have much lasting appeal.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Sigged.
[quote name='The Mana Knight']This news has me very happy. Now you all can stick to official firmware with me. :D

Personally, I do think what Dark Alex was doing was wrong, and I'm glad he's no longer doing it. I do care a little about SCEA and don't want to see the PSP get more hacked than it already has (since it hurts game sales).[/quote]

I enjoyed dark alex's work and have 3.40 oe-a installed on my psp. I use it for homebrew. There are only 2 games worth even picking up that is metal gear (if your a fan) and lumines. Will i be upgrading to play new games on my psp. No because there are no good games. That is why the system has failed as a hole. Homebrew and getting to play resident evil 2 on my psp was the only thing worth the price of the psp. Anyway Sony would not hire dark alex after he opened up the world to piracy not that i agree with piracy. I believe you risk what you want when you download a game. If sony made better games for the psp i might upgrade but for now. No i am good.

I wonder what Castlevania will require? That's the only one I'm concerned about at the moment... if it comes down to either updating to Sony, or not being able to play new games, sadly, I think I'd choose not being able to play new games...

I have to wonder how this would really pan out for Sony... will most people be like me and choose not to uprgade and therefore not buy the new releases? Or will they upgrade? I have to admit, I don't think I would feel my PSP was worth it's price tag w/o the custom firmware. I doubt I would have bought one at all if it hadn't been an option. It's not the only reason I wanted to own one, but it was a big part of the reason.

[quote name='Agent_BBJ']I enjoyed dark alex's work and have 3.40 oe-a installed on my psp. I use it for homebrew. There are only 2 games worth even picking up that is metal gear (if your a fan) and lumines. Will i be upgrading to play new games on my psp. No because there are no good games. That is why the system has failed as a hole. Homebrew and getting to play resident evil 2 on my psp was the only thing worth the price of the psp. Anyway Sony would not hire dark alex after he opened up the world to piracy not that i agree with piracy. I believe you risk what you want when you download a game. If sony made better games for the psp i might upgrade but for now. No i am good.[/quote]It makes me sad that you've not played the fantastic Mega Man remakes on the PSP, nor the surprisingly fun LocoRoco.

[quote name='PleasantOne']I wonder what Castlevania will require? That's the only one I'm concerned about at the moment... if it comes down to either updating to Sony, or not being able to play new games, sadly, I think I'd choose not being able to play new games...

I have to wonder how this would really pan out for Sony... will most people be like me and choose not to uprgade and therefore not buy the new releases? Or will they upgrade? I have to admit, I don't think I would feel my PSP was worth it's price tag w/o the custom firmware. I doubt I would have bought one at all if it hadn't been an option. It's not the only reason I wanted to own one, but it was a big part of the reason.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have Castlevania and Elder Scrolls preordered for PSP and I hope I can play them. We've been considering getting another unit so my wife can play more as I tend to dominate the PSP and this may be the catalyst.

[quote name='PleasantOne']I wonder what Castlevania will require? That's the only one I'm concerned about at the moment... if it comes down to either updating to Sony, or not being able to play new games, sadly, I think I'd choose not being able to play new games...

I have to wonder how this would really pan out for Sony... will most people be like me and choose not to uprgade and therefore not buy the new releases? Or will they upgrade? I have to admit, I don't think I would feel my PSP was worth it's price tag w/o the custom firmware. I doubt I would have bought one at all if it hadn't been an option. It's not the only reason I wanted to own one, but it was a big part of the reason.[/quote]

I suspect a lot of in this postion already don't buy the new games and download/rip them. So losing people who don't already buy the games doesn't make much sense, since they weren't making money off them anyway.

[quote name='daroga']It makes me sad that you've not played the fantastic Mega Man remakes on the PSP, nor the surprisingly fun LocoRoco.[/QUOTE]Very true. I agree 100%. :D

[quote name='Agent_BBJ']I enjoyed dark alex's work and have 3.40 oe-a installed on my psp. I use it for homebrew. There are only 2 games worth even picking up that is metal gear (if your a fan) and lumines. Will i be upgrading to play new games on my psp. No because there are no good games. That is why the system has failed as a hole. Homebrew and getting to play resident evil 2 on my psp was the only thing worth the price of the psp. Anyway Sony would not hire dark alex after he opened up the world to piracy not that i agree with piracy. I believe you risk what you want when you download a game. If sony made better games for the psp i might upgrade but for now. No i am good.[/QUOTE]Take a look at this list (the first post by me) before saying the PSP has no good games. That list certainly shows there are good PSP games out there.

I buy my PSP games and upgrade to the official firmware, since that's what I am suppose to do afterall.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Take a look at this list (the first post by me) before saying the PSP has no good games. That list certainly shows there are good PSP games out there.

I buy my PSP games and upgrade to the official firmware, since that's what I am suppose to do afterall.[/quote]

Never said there were no good games... I have a stack of about 15 or 20 right here. Just questioned whether the new games were worth upgrading firmware for. With Castlevania being about the only thing I'm looking forward to at the moment, I don't know that I can say it's worth it for me right now.

[quote name='PleasantOne']Never said there were no good games... I have a stack of about 15 or 20 right here. Just questioned whether the new games were worth upgrading firmware for. With Castlevania being about the only thing I'm looking forward to at the moment, I don't know that I can say it's worth it for me right now.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I quoted the wrong post (meant to quote Agent_BBJ). I apologize to you.

[quote name='naes']Sigged.[/QUOTE]Why did you have to put that in your sig? It isn't even funny in the first place.

I hear others making custom firmware, which I figured would happen. :( Some people just have too much free time I guess.

With that ISO loaded in the new firware from Sony, I'm hoping they'll just implement a way to rip your own games to the memory stick and play them. I'd lose having a portable NES (which has been a lot more fun to have than I would've ever thought), but then at least I'd still feel like I was using the system to its potential.

Before these custom firmware dealies was there a way to "trick" the game into thinking you had a higher version of the FW than you actually did? Or were people really just stuck playing whatever could be played on a 1.5 system?

haha check out the noob here about to ask the most noobish question without first looking it up himself...

anyway what does the custom firmware allow you to do besides run homebrew? Is that what all those torrents for psp games are out there for? lol

And how does it affect the games that you actually buy?

[quote name='daroga']With that ISO loaded in the new firware from Sony, I'm hoping they'll just implement a way to rip your own games to the memory stick and play them. I'd lose having a portable NES (which has been a lot more fun to have than I would've ever thought), but then at least I'd still feel like I was using the system to its potential.

Before these custom firmware dealies was there a way to "trick" the game into thinking you had a higher version of the FW than you actually did? Or were people really just stuck playing whatever could be played on a 1.5 system?[/quote]Only for a month or so were people stuck playing 1.5 games. Then a homebrew program came out that allowed you to change the FW number to anything you wanted to play anything.

Much, much much later down the line, custom fw started to show up.

[quote name='daroga']
Before these custom firmware dealies was there a way to "trick" the game into thinking you had a higher version of the FW than you actually did? Or were people really just stuck playing whatever could be played on a 1.5 system?[/quote]

Devhook allowed you to play UMDs on 1.5. It only went up to 3.11 or something though. Some people are hoping for a Devhook comeback.

And I would suspect from reading different boards and whatnot that UMD pirates make up a very small percentage of CF users. That's just speculation though. Custom firmware is great, but the user must make the moral decision not to pirate.

[quote name='daroga']With that ISO loaded in the new firware from Sony, I'm hoping they'll just implement a way to rip your own games to the memory stick and play them. I'd lose having a portable NES (which has been a lot more fun to have than I would've ever thought), but then at least I'd still feel like I was using the system to its potential.[/QUOTE]
Uh...so, why don't you just use the custom firmware?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I hear others making custom firmware, which I figured would happen. :( Some people just have too much free time I guess.[/QUOTE]
Some of us just happen to enjoy being able to use out PSPs to their full potential.

Shit, dude. I can play fucking Cave Story, possibly the greatest homebrew PC game of the decade, on my PSP. Can you play Cave Story on your PSP? No? Then you're not using it to it's full potential.

:lol:
[quote name='The Mana Knight']Why did you have to put that in your sig? It isn't even funny in the first place.[/quote]

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh...so, why don't you just use the custom firmware?[/quote]Uh...so, I do.

It would just be nice if sony would offically enable me to run my games off the emmory stick so I would have to "resort" to something like the custom firmware. That way I could have that feature and never have to wait for someone to "break" the system to get newer games to work.

bread's done
Back