Cable modem: buy or rent?

winterice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So my comcast cable modem crapped out on me today and I had to do the whole called/wait/exchange thing. It turns out I'm leasing the modem when I thought I got it free. It was advertise as free when I signed years ago. It's 3 bucks a month. I don't know if I should go buy a new modem or keep on renting and do the sensible thing by exchanging it every year for a new one. There's also someone on ebay selling the same modem for $17 total with shipping. Furthermore, I'm so fucking calling them tomorrow and try to get the $19.99 monthly internet for 6 months. If they don't give it to me, I'm going to cancel my current one and sign up again.

I'd be careful about buying one on ebay for $17. The Comcast modem I have retails for about $80, and wholesales for about $75.

My modem is 10+ years and still kicking. You get what you pay for, and I probably dropped a couple grand on it and counting. ;)

Time to just buy one.

I'm a fuckING IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!

About a couple of hours ago I just realize when I first signed up with comcast, some years ago, I did the 6 months at $20 and free modem deal. Free modem + Leasing = winterice is an idiot!! I've got comcast automatically billing to my credit card so I haven't seen the details of bill for years now. I did their online customer chat and the guy basically told me I got to go to my local comcast office. Big help he was. God I feel like an idiot. Maybe I should post my address and someone here can come the beat shit out of me.

[quote name='winterice']I'm a fuckING IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!

About a couple of hours ago I just realize when I first signed up with comcast, some years ago, I did the 6 months at $20 and free modem deal. Free modem + Leasing = winterice is an idiot!! I've got comcast automatically billing to my credit card so I haven't seen the details of bill for years now. I did their online customer chat and the guy basically told me I got to go to my local comcast office. Big help he was. God I feel like an idiot. Maybe I should post my address and someone here can come the beat shit out of me.[/quote]

Legally, they can't discuss your bill over a chat.

I owned for years, then mine died. I just rent now. The techs always want to switch the modems when they're over because of slow downs (which never helps as it's never an internal problem) so it's just easier. But definitely cheaper in the long run to own, but I do well enough to not worry about $3 a month.

When I move I may by another one, though not if I move in with my girlfriend since her condo provide DSL as part of the condo fees.

Between this & reading about Comcast capping the dl limit, makes me glad they're not in my market area. Time Warner doesn't even charge for the modem they give, since it's included w/ Road Runner.

[quote name='lordwow']I'd be careful about buying one on ebay for $17. The Comcast modem I have retails for about $80, and wholesales for about $75.[/quote]

I sold my old cable modem on eBay for $20. I would have liked more, but that's all it got. And there was nothing wrong with it. The guy probably just doesn't need it anymore.

[quote name='konamifan2002']Im getting rid of comcast on OCT 1st when the bandwith limit takes effect. ( im no pirate but limiting usage is wrong with their prices)[/quote]

Not to pry, but what are you replacing it with?

[quote name='MSUHitman']Get a Motorola Surfboard. Still the best cable modem out there IMO.[/quote]

That's what I'm using too. Thing's built like a brick shithouse.

bread's done
Back