Cable TV -- worth $83?

I pay for it and I really enjoy it. Currently I have Time-Warner with 10mbps internet, digital cable w/ all channels but the premiums (so no HBO, Cinemax, etc.), and a DVR for $109 a month tax included.

Of course I split this cost with a roommate so it works out to $55 a month for me. I think it is good because I love the HD-DVR so I can skip all the commercials. I'm also a big fan of some shows only available on cable such as Ice Road Truckers, Code Monkeys, 'Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives', and other shows on various networks.

Another factor for me is that reception where I live for over the air broadcast sucks, I tried everything except an external antenna (Complex and Landlord won't allow external antennas or satellites) and nothing worked, so I gave into time warner.

Actually, from what i understand, they can't not allow you to get a satellite. I even got a letter once from dish network about it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just keep in mind cable theft is punished pretty severerly if you're unlucky enough to get caught--i.e. they discover when hooking up cable for a neighbor, doing routine checks etc.

Sports is the killer for me--huge sports fan got have my ESPN channels etc. The network shows I could get another way--though I do prefer watching live in HD without having to find it online and get it to the TV somehow (never would put a PC in the living room--could use a laptop I guess). Again antenna doesn't work here--brick building and damn super powerful radiostation a block away interferes with everything (can't even use a landline phone here as the phone wiring in the building picks it up so strongly you can barely hear who you're talking too.[/quote]
Nope. We've been caught at least 10 times, and all they do is put the filter back in, like we're not going to take it back out again. :roll:

[quote name='Access_Denied']Nope. We've been caught at least 10 times, and all they do is put the filter back in, like we're not going to take it back out again. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Just varies. Around here they did a campaign saying they would prosecute people they caught, and there were some stories of people getting big fines, probation etc. for a while. Not sure if they're still keeping with it or if it was just a limited time intimidation thing.

At any rate, thefts theft is theft. I couldn't do it for moral reasons personally, but to each their own.

Its real interesting in my area. I live in So Cal. I live in an old area of So Cal. The lines for Cable and phone/DSL are very degraded. In my city there are 2 providers Time Warner and Charter Cable and for interent we have Verizon DSL. Are internet is very slow with verizon due to poor line quality and its like that for all the city no matter who you have. FIOS isnt on my block yet but for some of the city it is (after a few years of delays) and a lot of people in my area complain its not as fast as it should be.

My friend lives on the time warner side. He just got the 3/3 package last week. His internet isnt much faster then it was with DSL. He got around 285 KBPS on cable when he was paying for 3 megs down. I went over there since I know a good deal of Networking. Sure enough after I did some stuff it was not help. So we called Time Warner and after coming out 5-6 times they decided that the wires in the naborhood where in poor shape and they are going to replace the wires on his block next week. Even his Hi Deff stations where not coming in as clear as they should have since of the degration of the wires.

With Charter Cable it isnt any better. I have Verizon DSL with there cheapest package and I think its capted at 180 KBPS down.

[quote name='packerfan10']My friend lives on the time warner side. He just got the 3/3 package last week. His internet isnt much faster then it was with DSL. He got around 285 KBPS on cable when he was paying for 3 megs down. I went over there since I know a good deal of Networking. Sure enough after I did some stuff it was not help. So we called Time Warner and after coming out 5-6 times they decided that the wires in the naborhood where in poor shape and they are going to replace the wires on his block next week. Even his Hi Deff stations where not coming in as clear as they should have since of the degration of the wires.[/QUOTE]

3mbit = about 375 kbyte. There are 8 bits in a byte. I assume by "KBPS" you mean kBps (kilobytes per second), in which case 285 is about right for a 3mbit max connection.

I do not watch all that much television. I wish that it was possible to just pay for the channels one actually wants. What a novel idea!

Obviously I voted no, because it is not worth that much to me.

Cable= Free...It was good til Comcast decided to put G4 into their Digital Tier...assholes.

Landlord is paying for cable but then again, I pay 66% (split w/ roommate so that's 33%) of utilities here.

[quote name='Quintessence']I do not watch all that much television. I wish that it was possible to just pay for the channels one actually wants. What a novel idea!
[/QUOTE]

That will never happen, and if it did it would probably end up costing as much or more--they're not going to cut into their profits.

It wouldn't save much for people like me who need the sports channels. The EPSN channels account for a super high percentage of the bill--can't remember what but it was a large percentage for the 4 channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNNEWS & ESPN Classic).

But sports is the main reason I have cable, so I deal with it.

We subscribe, but only because of my fiancee. If it was up to me, we would have internet only...no tv. Oh well, she likes it, so it's fine. Its not like our bill, $160 / month is all that much. We have internet, tv w/ some premium movie channels, some other add-ons, HD channels, etc.

Too bad the a la carte plan got killed by the cable industry (more accurately, the cable industry's greed). I wish I could just get CNN and the premium channels. I don't watch 95% of the channels. I might if I had an HDTV, only thing is Charter is the absolute worse cable company ever. Far, far, far worse than Comcast.

Charter has like 1/4th the HD channels DirectTV offers and doesn't even have CNN in HD. I think DirectTV is probably be best choice. Flat fee nationwide, nice HD lineup, only thing is they have no On Demand capability. You have to DVR everything. If satellite internet could have some sort of breakthrough, the cable company would be crushed into oblivion in one swift stroke.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Too bad the a la carte plan got killed by the cable industry (more accurately, the cable industry's greed). I wish I could just get CNN and the premium channels. I don't watch 95% of the channels. I might if I had an HDTV, only thing is Charter is the absolute worse cable company ever. Far, far, far worse than Comcast.

Charter has like 1/4th the HD channels DirectTV offers and doesn't even have CNN in HD. I think DirectTV is probably be best choice. Flat fee nationwide, nice HD lineup, only thing is they have no On Demand capability. You have to DVR everything. If satellite internet could have some sort of breakthrough, the cable company would be crushed into oblivion in one swift stroke.[/quote]

I have Charter and yes, it does suck. :fridge:

When I get out on my own, and I have to pay for cable I will either just not have it or get the cheap option. Stupid tiered system. If there is a show I want to watch then I will just download it . . . in whatever way possible. I want to give these channels my money, but they make it so difficult and convoluted!

I canceled my cable about a week ago, returned the box two days ago (billing stopped when the box was returned) but I still catch everything using my TV's built-in tuner, just by hooking the coaxial up to it. Will it stay like this? Anyone know how cable works in apt buildings?

[quote name='Koggit']I canceled my cable about a week ago, returned the box two days ago (billing stopped when the box was returned) but I still catch everything using my TV's built-in tuner, just by hooking the coaxial up to it. Will it stay like this? Anyone know how cable works in apt buildings?[/QUOTE]

It will likely get shut off soon. Just takes them a while to get a guy out there to put the block on so it doesn't come in.

[quote name='Quintessence']I have Charter and yes, it does suck. :fridge:

When I get out on my own, and I have to pay for cable I will either just not have it or get the cheap option. Stupid tiered system. If there is a show I want to watch then I will just download it . . . in whatever way possible. I want to give these channels my money, but they make it so difficult and convoluted![/quote]

I have charter too, but with some deals it hasn't been painful.

right now for the last 6 months I have...

5mb cable
Standard + Expanded + 4 full movie channels + all on demand free for those premiums.

for only 89/mo

NOW, a guy just stopped by and is going to add on telephone for FREE.. well not free, but it'll be like 94/mo

this will save me about 33 dollars a month, I own my cable box.

before I paid about 110 before the "Deal" was in my mailbox, they screwed up a billing and I got 6 months for the cheap price, and extended the deal by a year starting at the date I called... and now after about 3 months I'll get this deal extended again for a year... plus telephone.

I know it won't last... and I DON"T watch tv... the wife does...

I think if the deal ever ends... I'll drop the digital stuff... totally not worth it.

[quote name='lordwow']$82? What do you have? Every channel ever?

Mine's like $65 with a DVR box.[/quote]

$65 with DVR?!?! Who are you fucking at the cable company?

Charter rips you off and is run by dumbasses, however it works well. Comcast is Craptastic, bad picture, freezes, and has commercials in some "OnDemand shows.

He probably just did the call and threaten to leave for satellite thing. I've always gotten very good deals by doing that, though I've not had much luck getting a good deal on a DVR doing that so I just do without. I don't watch enough shows to justify that extra expense since I generally don't have a problem being home for the shows I want to watch, or can catch Lost etc. online at the network sites.

Really just need the cable for sports, and that I always watch live.

bread's done
Back