CAG Addicts Anonymous

dude2003

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
with the reference to this thread, http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102868, i have decided to start a CAA thread to let CAG addicts let out their spending spree on cheap games and maybe help each other in stopping this madness. a lot of us buy games we don't usually buy because they are cheap. i hope this thread will help any CAG that are addicted to find cheap games and buy them no matter how long the back log of games they have or whether they will play this new cheap game they found. as an addict my self, let me start:

Hi, I'm dude2003 and I'm a CAG addict. I come to www.cheapassgamer.com everyday in hope of finding the next big sale and score a bunch of games on the cheap. over the 3 years i've been on this site, i have spent over $1000 on cheap games. most of the games i don't usually buy if they are not $10 or less. I have a backlog of more than 100 games and most of them are unopened and never been touched. I hope to talk some sense into myself and write out how much I have spent the last few years and not waste so much money just to have games sitting there and collect dust.

Wow, 100 unopened games? I thought I was going bad here (have about 20), but since most are recent, I don't feel nearly as bad here (darn the $2 GameRush PSX games that I bought a ton on). Honestly, there was a guy on Gamefaqs that was going to take a whole year and not buy any new games, just play games he already had. I don't know if he made it or not, but it might be something that you consider. You might find that it's more enjoyable to play the games than to just buy them.

Heck, with 100 games there, you know there has to be some hidden gems in the stack.

I've also learned (and I need to heed my own advice here) that avoiding this site is actually a good way to buy less games. If you come to the site and hear of some rediculous sale, it's very hard to turn it down. But, if you never knew about it, you'll find it doesn't hurt to miss some sales.

[quote name='lordxixor101']
I've also learned (and I need to heed my own advice here) that avoiding this site is actually a good way to buy less games. If you come to the site and hear of some rediculous sale, it's very hard to turn it down. But, if you never knew about it, you'll find it doesn't hurt to miss some sales.[/QUOTE]

It's just self control... when the big TRU sale hit, I read on it, I knew what was on sale... hell, I even went into a TRU one day because I was bored and saw TONS of games on sale. The only thing I got was KoF EX 2 for GBA because I had a passing interest in it, which is pretty good since I could have walked out with tons of cheap games.

Just ask yourself are you buying the game because you're going to take it home and play it, or are just buying it just so you can put it on a shelf and not touch it?

[quote name='Roufuss']www.ebay.com[/quote]

no, i would rather keep all my games and play through all of them....when i find the time. i'm also someone who won't sell his games or trade them into ebgames. i've only traded 1 game ever. i like to keep all my games and keep them in great conditions. i even keep the security seals on them after they are opened.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I've also learned (and I need to heed my own advice here) that avoiding this site is actually a good way to buy less games. If you come to the site and hear of some rediculous sale, it's very hard to turn it down. But, if you never knew about it, you'll find it doesn't hurt to miss some sales.[/quote]

actually i would be pissed if i missed an amazing sale. i have learned to ask myself whether i would want to play the game before i buy it. i did pass on a few games during the $8.96 circuit city sale. unlike 2 years ago during the $5 circuit city sale where i bought anything and everything. games like vexx and voodoo vince i bought 2 years ago will be passes from now on.

[quote name='dude2003']no, i would rather keep all my games and play through all of them....when i find the time. i'm also someone who won't sell his games or trade them into ebgames. i've only traded 1 game ever. i like to keep all my games and keep them in great conditions. i even keep the security seals on them after they are opened.

actually i would be pissed if i missed an amazing sale. i have learned to ask myself whether i would want to play the game before i buy it. i did pass on a few games during the $8.96 circuit city sale. unlike 2 years ago during the $5 circuit city sale where i bought anything and everything. games like vexx and voodoo vince i bought 2 years ago will be passes from now on.
vbmenu_register("postmenu_2088120", true);[/QUOTE]

Unless you aren't planning on buying any next generation system or any games ever again, you will never "find the time" for 100 sealed games, trust me on this one, I know from experience. That 100 sealed games will just keep growing because you'll just keep buying more games.

I liked to keep all my games too until I realized I was sitting on $3,000 worth of stuff collecting dust on a shelf. Best decision I ever made.

You're talking about how you don't want to waste money yet you have 100 sealed games? Buying any game at this point is a waste of money.

[quote name='Roufuss']Unless you aren't planning on buying any next generation system or any games ever again, you will never "find the time" for 100 sealed games, trust me on this one, I know from experience. That 100 sealed games will just keep growing because you'll just keep buying more games.

I liked to keep all my games too until I realized I was sitting on $3,000 worth of stuff collecting dust on a shelf. Best decision I ever made.

You're talking about how you don't want to waste money yet you have 100 sealed games? Buying any game at this point is a waste of money.[/quote]

next generation systems is 4 to 5 years away for me. i would only buy next generation after the next next generation comes out. i think i will play most of the games i have and i will most likely not buy anything else except a few games i really want, ie ninja gaiden black and psychonaults. i think i can pretty much control myself now. i created this thread with the hopes of helping other that was like me. with the advices from you i'm sure we can help other CAG addicts.

[quote name='dude2003']next generation systems is 4 to 5 years away for me. i would only buy next generation after the next next generation comes out. i think i will play most of the games i have and i will most likely not buy anything else except a few games i really want, ie ninja gaiden black and psychonaults. i think i can pretty much control myself now. i created this thread with the hopes of helping other that was like me. with the advices from you i'm sure we can help other CAG addicts.[/QUOTE]

Then at least, unlike alot of other people in this thread, you're going to play what you have and you're not buying new games on top of the cheap games every single month. It's impressive if you can stick with it.

I dropped the habit last year before christmas. Went cold turkey and was successful. Only relapsed twice :D bought Gun for $20 & Pirates for $12. Other then that ny game buying as slowed down a whole lot.

[quote name='Moxio']Wait, how are we anonymous if we post with a username?[/QUOTE]

Because no one is posting about themselves. All of our posts are what a friends problem/story. ;)

[quote name='Moxio']Wait, how are we anonymous if we post with a username?[/quote]

it is the internet you know. you don't know who i am in person. or do you......:whistle2:k

[quote name='dude2003']it is the internet you know. you don't know who i am in person. or do you......:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

a pretty asian chick with a bright smile?

...oh wait, this is the internets...

Almost forgot pretty asian chick with bright smile = 300lbs white geek with strange pedophilliac and racially-specific fetishes, topped by a strange fascination with children's toys he never had when he was a child.

Kidding, of course. Don't take it seriously.....unless its true...

I'm never gonna kid myself into saying I won't buy more games, just a matter of honestly addressing the question of whether you would buy the game if it weren't cheap. If not, don't bother.

First 4 months of 06: $891.90 spent on 70 games.
Next 4 months of 06: -$161.26 spent on 22 games (most of those Wii/DS preorders), sold 45 (thanks Roufuss! ;))

Something around 50 unplayed (I bought a LOT of games at the end of 05 that I'm glad I don't even have a good record of), but at least almost all have been opened! ;)

Roufuss and Botticus are right--don't buy games you don't have much interest in just because they are cheap. My collection is small and manageable because I'm usually pretty selective about what I buy. In those uncommon instances where I do end up buying something that wasn't as good as I originally expected, I get rid of it through trades or sales. It helps that I live in a consumer market where 70% or more of the deals that pop here aren't available to me in the first place.

Also, there are other reasons I visit this site regularly, and while getting a hot deal is the main one, it's often enough for me to have the satisfaction of knowing about something that most don't and living vicariously through my fellow CAGs.

I've lost my addiction to buying games last fall. I'm now addicted to buying dvds for some reason. It seems like the majority of the movies I purchase is because they're at such a good price I know I'll be hard pressed to find it that low again in the future. That seems to be my deciding factor more than, "Do I really, really, want to own this movie?"

Im incredibly picky with what i buy even if it is cheap all though now that i am working on getting a semi decent collection going im pretty open to almost all rpg/action/shooter games i dont already have. On the topic of unplayed/opened games i probally at the most right now have maybe 3-5 because even if i buy a cheap game that im not incredibly interested in i usually give it a 2 day run through before i shelf it.

[quote name='Maklershed']I've lost my addiction to buying games last fall. I'm now addicted to buying dvds for some reason. It seems like the majority of the movies I purchase is because they're at such a good price I know I'll be hard pressed to find it that low again in the future. That seems to be my deciding factor more than, "Do I really, really, want to own this movie?"[/quote] In my experience it's been the opposite. If I wait long enough (barring its rarity), every dvd will eventually go down in price.

[quote name='jaykrue']In my experience it's been the opposite. If I wait long enough (barring its rarity), every dvd will eventually go down in price.[/QUOTE]

I've started this too... eventually every DVD ends up in a 2 for $20 bin.

[quote name='Roufuss']I've started this too... eventually every DVD ends up in a 2 for $20 bin.[/quote] It's for that reason I know I can wait for movies such as V for Vendetta to hit the $5 mark minimum. I've seen the movie already so I don't feel the need to 'must-have-it-right-this-moment'. Besides, it's rare that I watch a movie more than 3 times anyway so I feel I can focus my money on something else more worthwhile.

bread's done
Back