CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

Just got back from St. Louis. Found a great bar in the town I went to high school. Founders, Bells, and Schafly were all well represented. It used to be that you could only get Schafly in a handful of bars in the Illinois side but it seems to be everywhere now.

So my local beer bar was having Dogfish Head Heaven & Hell tonight. What is that you ask? a 50/50 blend of 120 Minute IPA and World Wide Stout. Probably the best black & tan you'll ever have. The two compliment each other quite nicely. The flavor of the WWS really balanced out the sweetness of the 120 Minute.

[quote name='MtlTom']So my local beer bar was having Dogfish Head Heaven & Hell tonight. What is that you ask? a 50/50 blend of 120 Minute IPA and World Wide Stout. Probably the best black & tan you'll ever have. The two compliment each other quite nicely. The flavor of the WWS really balanced out the sweetness of the 120 Minute.[/QUOTE]

That is a brilliant combination; a must-try this weekend.

I wanted to throw out a question to the forum:

What three breweries do you most respect (in order)?

These are the breweries that you find to be consistently amazing. They not only produce high quality from top-to-bottom of their portfolio, but they're also bold in their brewing philosophy. If they released a seasonal of dish water, you'd probably still buy it because they're that good. Include the state you live in too so we can see local vs. regional influence.

My three most respected breweries (I'm from Colorado):
  • Dogfish Head (DE)
  • Oscar Blues (CO)
  • Left Hand Brewery (CO)

I've had both 120 Minute and WWS on their own before and didn't really care for either. Them being 16-18% ABV or whatever they are the alcohol just overpowered the rest of the flavors in the beer for me.

Love the 90 minute though!

Tough for me to put them in order but Bell's (MI) Dogfish Head (ME) and maybe a regional fav Terrapin (GA) - and I'm in AL.

I lost of a lot of respect for Left Hand when one of their reps who was going to be at our brewfest said on beeradvocate to stop by his booth and ask for somethingoranother and even gave a code word. Several people (I didn't know any of them actually) ran in to the same situation as me and replied to that thread after the fest. Went to the booth and they acted like they had no clue about it (while seeing the rep drinking straight from 22s with people at the back of the booth (reps aren't allowed to pour at fests here in AL - 22s aren't legal either...) Kinda rubbed me the wrong way but I will admit to buying their fade to black II because you just don't see smoked baltic porters around that much.

OB founder is from Alabama - started brewing while in college at Auburn!

Also - here is a neat new pint glass - I want one!

http://www.silipint.com/

I'd probably go with these as my top 3:

Stone
Oscar Blues
Southern Tier

some other favorites would include Dogfish Head, Bells, Founders, Lagunitas, Weyerbacher, Troeg's, Victory etc.

I haven't sampled enough to name three, but I feel confident putting Great Lakes at the top of any list. I have yet to drink a style that isn't at least enjoyable, even if it isn't the type I'd drink on a regular basis.

Sierra Nevada might be a close second. I haven't tried any of their seasonals yet, but their year-round brews are great.

This is indeed a tough question. Off the top of my head I'd have to go with:

Dogfish Head (DE)
Cigar City Brewery (FL)
Brooklyn Brewery (NY)

Just outside of that I'd have to say Stone, Sierra Nevada, Oskar Blues, Harpoon, Shipyard, & Sam Adams.

Has this happened to anyone else? Too often to be coincidental, when I tell a friend or family member what brand of beer I drink, the response is almost always, "I don't like dark beers."

Apparently, anything that isn't Bud Light is a "dark beer."

Cigar City is great! I've only had two of their beers but they have just released a mostly Alabama-only brew - Black Whole - in tribute to a Montgomery-area band El Chupa Cobras. It is confirmed in the wild here in bham so I'm gonna have to hunt some down.

http://beernews.org/2011/06/new-beer-labels-cigar-city-widmer-redhook/

Yes, the "I don't like dark beers" is certainly something I've heard. I guess it stems from people most likely trying a Guinness Extra Stout and it not tasting like their miller/bud/coors. Many, many people have A beer - the only beer they drink. It's "their" beer - like it defines them somehow. Straying would mean losing themselves - their identity - seemingly. If they somehow come upon someone they respect and that someone is drinking different beer they could possibly be pulled over to the craft side but honestly I don't have a lot of hope.

[quote name='bsmiff']Any fellow Austin CAGs big fans of the 512 brewery? They don't bottle, but their Pecan Porter is so good. Like I'm not a big porter guy and this makes my top 3 beers list. Here's their site: http://www.512brewing.com

Real Ale is another great central Texas brewery I've gotta promote: http://www.realalebrewing.com[/QUOTE]

I tried 512's ONE this past weekend at a bar in Houston...delicious stuff. I've gotta check this Real Ale out.

I'm a big fan of St. Arnold's (microbrewery here in Houston)

Yeah, I get the "I don't like dark beer" thing to.

I don't worry with trying to change people's minds though. It's an acquired taste and if they don't want to try it, it's their loss. They just don't get invited to nights out at good beer bars! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ispeshaled']I tried 512's ONE this past weekend at a bar in Houston...delicious stuff. I've gotta check this Real Ale out.

I'm a big fan of St. Arnold's (microbrewery here in Houston)[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, try their Pecan Porter for sure. We've got plenty of St. Arnold's at the grocery here but I don't buy it too often. I think I tried their IPA recently and it got my thumbs up. What would you say is their best beer?

[quote name='bordjon']Yes, the "I don't like dark beers" is certainly something I've heard. I guess it stems from people most likely trying a Guinness Extra Stout and it not tasting like their miller/bud/coors.[/QUOTE]
Not quite what I was getting at. I can understand someone not liking a porter or stout, but I could be drinking a pale ale and they'll say, "I don't like dark beer."

That's what I meant--I hear the same thing even if I'm talking about an IPA.

I think that's what bordjon means as well. Guinness is about as exotic a beer as most people have tried, so when they here us beer snobs mention some microbrew/import beer they associate it with that experience of not liking Guinness or whatever truly dark beer they had and reply generically with "I don't like dark beers"--even if we're talking about an IPA or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
My top three breweries are:

Samuel Adams (for bringing something other than a lager to the masses)

Sierra Nevada (for making the best pale ale in the country and somehow making Chico cool)

Three Floyds (for making the best beer in Indiana)

As for dark beer convo, this country will never turn to dark beers until one of the big three comes out with a dark beer under the flagship brand. Budweiser has the Michelob brand but Ultra is the only one that's taking off simply because it's the best of the super light beers.

There are two huge obstacles to the craft brew industry. Price and alcohol content.

Price stops many people. Who wants to risk $8 on a bottle of beer from a small brewery a thousand miles away? The good liquor stores allow people to break up sixers so they can sample many different beers for a slightly higher price. Target does also but the majority of gas stations, convenience stores, and grocery stores force you to purchase the entire sixer. It's much easier to go with what I've been drinking since high school. Also, many restaurants have specials for the big three but you'll hardly ever see micro or "premium" drafts on that list. My buddies and I can get a pitcher of Bud Light for $5 or we can each pay $5 for a pint of Bass. Most of us would pick the Bass but America wants to drink cheap.

As for alcohol content, the majority of drinkers I know drink to get drunk or hammered. A good beer buzz is nice but who's going on a beer run for another case of Bud? The thing is, they don't want to get hammered in an hour on the good stuff and they don't want to have two beers the whole night. They want a beer in hand at all times and it's just not a good idea with some of the beers we all like to drink.

On top of it all, we're a brand culture. We go to the same grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, and play the same video games. We don't take chances with any of those, why start with something as important as beer?

[quote name='depascal22']There are two huge obstacles to the craft brew industry. Price and alcohol content.

Price stops many people. Who wants to risk $8 on a bottle of beer from a small brewery a thousand miles away? The good liquor stores allow people to break up sixers so they can sample many different beers for a slightly higher price. Target does also but the majority of gas stations, convenience stores, and grocery stores force you to purchase the entire sixer. It's much easier to go with what I've been drinking since high school. Also, many restaurants have specials for the big three but you'll hardly ever see micro or "premium" drafts on that list. My buddies and I can get a pitcher of Bud Light for $5 or we can each pay $5 for a pint of Bass. Most of us would pick the Bass but America wants to drink cheap.

As for alcohol content, the majority of drinkers I know drink to get drunk or hammered. A good beer buzz is nice but who's going on a beer run for another case of Bud? The thing is, they don't want to get hammered in an hour on the good stuff and they don't want to have two beers the whole night. They want a beer in hand at all times and it's just not a good idea with some of the beers we all like to drink.[/QUOTE]
Right and right.

I'm a one or two beer guy, so I'm definitely going for the good stuff.

I seriously cannot find a beer I like, never have been able to, which is why I usually stick to liquor. Most beers I've tasted just taste like cardboard or something, can't describe it. Last thing I tried was Abita Purple Haze, hated it.

Yeah it's an acquired taste and some people just never dig it. Nothing wrong with that.

Purple Haze is terrible though. But I just tend not to like any beers with fruit though.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah it's an acquired taste and some people just never dig it. Nothing wrong with that.

Purple Haze is terrible though. But I just tend not to like any beers with fruit though.[/QUOTE]
Funny that you mention that because I hate wheat beer cause it has a fruity taste to me. Oh and don't get me started on how putting blueberries in beer has been taking off.*blech*

[quote name='depascal22']

There are two huge obstacles to the craft brew industry. Price and alcohol content.

As for alcohol content, the majority of drinkers I know drink to get drunk or hammered. A good beer buzz is nice but who's going on a beer run for another case of Bud? The thing is, they don't want to get hammered in an hour on the good stuff and they don't want to have two beers the whole night. They want a beer in hand at all times and it's just not a good idea with some of the beers we all like to drink.

On top of it all, we're a brand culture. We go to the same grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, and play the same video games. We don't take chances with any of those, why start with something as important as beer?[/QUOTE]

Those are reasons I find craft beer to be special. There's a joy in discovering something new and unexpected - and that pursuit unites people.

There's a very strong anti-brand commodity culture in the country; in music, in fashion, and definitely in beer. There's definite money to be made on the other side of mass-product (long tail phenomenon - revenues made on many, low-volume products outpace the few, high-volume products). We saw good craft breweries grow during the recession - not because people wanted to get hammered (well, not entirely), but because people chose not to skimp on good beer when they had to make cuts in every other area of their life.

Yeah, that's probably the biggest part of my beer hobby. I just love trying new things, revisting styles of beer I tried before and didn't care for and seeing if my tastes changed, comparing different brewer's takes on things like IPAs etc.

As for the recession thing, I'm not sure if it's your reason or just that the craft beer movement is big in the middle class and up and thus more people in that market weren't as affected by the recession as the Bud drinkers etc. My beer drinking didn't change as my job/income was unaffected.

The ower-middle class and lower class were hit harder, and the bankers and corporate suits that got laid off probably mostly had enough saved up to keep buying beer etc. until they got back on their feet.

Just a thought anyway.

i love sierra nevada pale ale... anyone try their other flavors... they have them at my local grocery store, i just am too in love with the Pale ale to get the other ones.

[quote name='dkreegz515']i love sierra nevada pale ale... anyone try their other flavors... they have them at my local grocery store, i just am too in love with the Pale ale to get the other ones.[/QUOTE]
Probably my favorite pale ale. I really like their Kellerweis too. The porter and IPA are both good, but other brewers do them better imo.

Yeah, most of Sierra Nevada's stuff is pretty solid, though not as good as a lot of other micros IMO.

Their anniversary ale they make every fall is usually damn good--this past year they didn't have that one as they did a few different beers for their 30th anniversary in 750ml bottles that were all pretty good.

The celebration ale that's out around x-mas is usually pretty good to. As Allnatural noted, their other stuff like their stout, porter, Torpedo IPA etc. are just ok. Not bad, but no where near the top tier of micro brewed stuff in those styles IMO.

Someone mentioned not liking Abita's Purple Haze. I love Purple Haze. I like wheat beers and even some fruit flavored. Sweetwater Brewing Company's Blue is a nice refreshing summer blueberry beer. I have some Abita strawberry in the fridge.

My fav 3:
Bold City Brewery (Jacksonville) Mad Manatee IPA and Killer Whale Cream Ale are great.
Sam Adams: Summer Ale used to be my go to summer beer
Rogue (Deadguy Ale) / Northcoast Brewing: Old Rasputin - I joke to my wife that she can drink a half a bottle to have a "Raspy Light". Although I prefer Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout when I can find it to Old Rasputin.

Tried the Abita Strawberry last night and didn't care for it. It lacked flavor. Oh well, I enjoy experimenting.

How is Golden Monkey? I have seen it in various stores lately.

Golden Monkey is decent, but if you want a good tripel you better off going with a Belgian one rather than an American take on the style IMO. I've not found any American micros who can top the Belgians at their own game yet.

There are some pretty darn awesome tripels that don't come out of Belgium though. La Fin Du Monde is top notch. Allagash's tripel is great. I'm also a huge fan of Bell's Sparkling Ale though it isn't quite as highly revered as the other two. These are all around 10 bucks for a 4 pack and the Bell's is 10 for a sixer (here in AL where we can't get bombers/750s). But I'd agree if you're willing to put up a little bit more cash a true Belgian is going to be better!

Yeah, Unibroue (maker of La Fin Du Monde) is one notable exception as they were started by a Belgian brewer who moved to Canada I believe. The Allagash is ok, but not one of my faves personally.

Had some O'Fallon's Hemp Hop Rye amber ale. It was ok - nothing special though. First beer I've tried from O'Fallon. Had the other two homebrews - they were nice but a bit bready/yeasty - but totally passable beers for sure.

My friend picked up some Sam Adams Octoberfest when we were out last night so I guess it's getting to be that time of year again.

Picked up some beer on the way home this evening

12-pack of Sierra Nevada's "Beer Camp" limited selections--has 3 each of: Juniper Black, Weizenbock, Double IPA and California Common

And picked up 22 oz'ers of the following:

Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale--an old favorite
Heavy Seas Davey Jones' Lager Imperial Cream Ale
Heavy Seas Letter of Marque Belgian Style Dubbel

[quote name='bordjon']My friend picked up some Sam Adams Octoberfest when we were out last night so I guess it's getting to be that time of year again.[/QUOTE]

Can't tell you how happy I am to hear that.... although while on a trip to the west coast recently, I feel in love with Kona Brewing Companies Wailau Wheat beer, which is not yet available in Philly :whistle2:(

Some great beers I've had recently:
* Hopping Frog Turbo Shandy (AWESOME Shandy, very intense lemon flavor, like a kick in the mouth... perfect for summer, and someone that likes a strong fruit flavor with their beer like me)

* Sly Fox Raspberry Reserve (great beer to relax with, not as sweet as most fruity beers. Just a nice, crisp raspberry taste while retaining the beer flavor)

* Victory Summer Love (awesome summer ale, is a dangerous beer in the sense that you just wanna keep on drinking more and more of it. going to be one of my new summer go to's)

* Yard's Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale (based on a recipe by Ben Franklin that used spruce essence and molasses instead of barley and hops. has a distinct "piney" taste to it, but it quickly grows on you and i tend to get at least one of these whenever i'm at my local bottle shop)

Thanks for everyone's replies to my last question (top three respected brewers). I've added a few to my bucket list, especially when we head down to NC this winter - I'll be on the lookout for some of those SE regional beers.

Got another question to keep the dialog going. As summer ticks down, I'd love to know:
What is your favorite IPA?

[quote name='fatboyjam']
Got another question to keep the dialog going. As summer ticks down, I'd love to know:
What is your favorite IPA?[/QUOTE]

A few favorites (I can't pick just one!)

Stone IPA
Dale's Pale Ale
Victory Hop Devil
Lagunitas IPA
Bells Two Hearted
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Double/Imperial IPAs:

Stone Ruination
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
Oskar Blues Gubna

[quote name='fatboyjam']Got another question to keep the dialog going. As summer ticks down, I'd love to know:
What is your favorite IPA?[/QUOTE]
Regular would be Dogfish Head's 60 Minute. If we're talking double, it's a toss-up between Bell's Hopslam and Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster.

Top: Bell's Two Hearted
Regional (GA): Sweetwater IPA

Double: Hopslam and 90 min.
no big surprises here ;)

Got a Bruery Saison De Lente in the fridge - never had it before. Also an ABA! Got some friends coming in to town Friday and we're gonna have some beer! Also got an 09,10,11 90 min in there for our tasting!

I had a whole two buck chuck last night - no freakin' hangover this morning even - cool!

fatboyjam - where ya headed to in NC?

We are headed to Asheville to brewgrass for our third year (this time with a 1 year old in tow!) There's plenty to do and see - tons of beer related fun to be had. Not sure if you've ever been or not - if not let me know and I can offer my humble suggestions for beer and food activities.

^ I've always wanted to head out to their bluegrass festival, but haven't been able to time it right. (our in-laws are out there, so we make regular trips). Have a great time and I'd definitely welcome any food and beer activities (we'll be out over New Years this year).

My IPA go-to choices would be...

Standard:
Cigar City Jai Alai IPA
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Double/Imperial:
Dogfish 90 Minute IPA
Southern Tier Unearthly IPA

I did have a 2xIPA from Brooklyn once called Buzz Bomb & it was incredible. I think it was a draft only release. I also really want to try Southern Tier's new (to us in FL) 2X IPA. From the sounds of it, I should also try Victory's Hop Devil. I haven't been disappointed with them yet.

On the fall seasonal front - I haven't seen any Octoberfest from anyone down here yet, but I picked up a sixer of Shipyard's Pumpkinhead Ale. I really need to find an Octoberfest for a picture for an article I'm working on.

Been drinking a lot of Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat Ale lately. I also enjoy Guinness, Old Engine Oil, Black Bear Stout, Sam Adams Black Lager, Killians Irish Red, Shipyard Pumkin' Head Ale, Sam Adams Boston Lager, and a few others I can't think of at the moment. The heavier and darker it is, the more I like it.

The saison de lente from the bruery was great - very well balanced beer!

Picked up a case of spaten oktoberfest at Costco as an alternative to our usual kirkland signature craft pack. Not quite as chewy/malty - more lager-like - pretty easy drinking beer.

[quote name='fatboyjam']^ I've always wanted to head out to their bluegrass festival, but haven't been able to time it right. (our in-laws are out there, so we make regular trips). Have a great time and I'd definitely welcome any food and beer activities (we'll be out over New Years this year).[/QUOTE]

You could probably offer me suggestions instead then! We enjoy going to Laughing Seed/Jack of the Wood and that noodle place that I forget the name of but I know there are a few of them around the south. Oh well maybe I'll think of it later! Thirsty Monk is a nice little bar with a good selection of American craft upstairs and pretty standard Belgian fair down below. Probably my favorite brewery in the area is Foothills in Winston-Salem. Duck Rabbit does some pretty good stuff as well. Bruisin' Ales beer store is highly touted and probably a good place to pick up bottles/growlers if you are bringing any back with you as they have a good selection but prices are a bit high and the store really didn't impress me that much. You can find plenty of regional stuff at the Greenlife grocery store at a bit better prices. Likely you probably have been to all these places already though since they are pretty standard fare. We did a segway tour of downtown our first year and that was cool just to ride the segway around all those hills downtown!

I'd love to hear some suggestions from you since it sounds like you've probably been more than me and having in-laws living there they probably know what's up!

bread's done
Back