CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

Heh, unfortunate for me neither Bell's nor 3 Floyds distribute in North Jersey:bomb:. Really want that Hop Slam and Zombie Dust. Ive read that 3 floyds is only available in some parts in the mid west? But im hoping to find some Bell's when I take my trip down to Vegas in a few months.

Had a Smoking wood Rye Whiskey Barrel Aged rye beer by The Bruery yesterday. Had a very noticeable 13%abv. Really damn good though. Half a bottle put me on my ass.

[quote name='motorkill']Heh, unfortunate for me neither Bell's nor 3 Floyds distribute in North Jersey:bomb:. Really want that Hop Slam and Zombie Dust. Ive read that 3 floyds is only available in some parts in the mid west? But im hoping to find some Bell's when I take my trip down to Vegas in a few months.
[/QUOTE]

I live about 20 minutes from the 3Floyds brewery. I have noticed it is a lot harder to get their stuff in the local liquor stores within the past year. I have them on Facebook for updates, and whenever they announce they have Zombie Dust for carry out the stuff literally sells out in 2~3 days.

A while back I heard a rumor that they intentionally hold back their supply to build demand for it. How true that is, I really don't know. They have also been getting criticized lately for selling barrel aged batches of certain beers for $35 a bomber. Luckily for me I'm not some extreme beer connoisseur and could care less about what they do. Just some things to keep in mind though.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']I live about 20 minutes from the 3Floyds brewery. I have noticed it is a lot harder to get their stuff in the local liquor stores within the past year. I have them on Facebook for updates, and whenever they announce they have Zombie Dust for carry out the stuff literally sells out in 2~3 days.

A while back I heard a rumor that they intentionally hold back their supply to build demand for it. How true that is, I really don't know. They have also been getting criticized lately for selling barrel aged batches of certain beers for $35 a bomber. Luckily for me I'm not some extreme beer connoisseur and could care less about what they do. Just some things to keep in mind though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Ive heard that there stuff tends to sell out quickly and that your best shot is to grab there stuff directly from the brewery. Ive also heard the rumor about them intentionally holding back there supply as well. Unfortunate if true, but they have denied it. Still wouldnt mind getting my hand on some of their stuff though. Thanks for the info.

Went down to my friends brewery Friday because another friend had some artwork hanging and a band was playing. Always good beer there. They had a collaboration brew they did with Hop City - Unlock My Bock - sort of as a homebrew legalization awareness thing. We are now the last and only state where homebrewing is illegal! A bill is third on line on Tuesday so it has a very, very good chance of coming up for a vote. I also got to try their 100th batch brew - a pale ale - which was ok (the maibock was awesome though - and those several IPAs were too!)

Spent the night in Pensacola last week and went to The Fish House - good seafood - but had some only so-so Pensacola Bay Brewery porter and amber - honestly - less than so-so really.

Picked up a DFH 75min and a Stone smoked porter - was really hoping for more but just didn't see much that struck my fancy. No cigar city humidor series stuff... I picked up two bourbons - Eagle Rare which I've been wanting to try and Evan Williams single barrel - which actually sort of blew me away for the price (23.99) It really can hold it's own with bourbons twice that price. Though from what I understand it's really inconsistent and you never know when you are getting a good barrel or not.

Our "classic american light" Mr. Beer brew is what it is - tastes like bud light or something. Not my thing but it came with the kit. Our Great Lakes porter clone will be bottled next weekend.

Hoping to hear word very soon that Stone is finally coming in to the state.

Regarding withholding supply - Pappy Van Winkle admittedly does it and it's put them in a highly desirable cult status. I mean 3floyds dark lord day is at that level. It's insane. It's obviously intentionally limited release. Whether they are withholding across the board on purpose or not I don't know but they've already sort of become pretty well known so I'd imagine there is good demand for them - I couldn't imagine them holding back at this point. I could imagine expansion though.

Anyone try the Ommegang Game of Thrones Beer yet? My buddy in Denver snagged me a bottle of that and a bottle of Rhizing Bines (the Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Collabo). Getting those from him when I head down to Denver next month :D

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Anyone try the Ommegang Game of Thrones Beer yet? My buddy in Denver snagged me a bottle of that and a bottle of Rhizing Bines (the Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Collabo). Getting those from him when I head down to Denver next month :D[/QUOTE]

Had it on tap about a week ago. It was good but nothing special. Wouldn't mind trying it again but haven't seen it bottled in my area so far.

Anybody here manage to get their hands on Founder's KBS yet? Pain in the ass trying track it down up here. Me and my brother were lucky:roll: enough to get one bottle each. Seems that most of the liquor stores up here are only getting about one case of it, so they have to sell bottles individually. Sucks.

Yeah KBS sold out down here quickly this year. Two bottle limit and one keg - pints only at our big craft beer store. I didn't bother trying to get any. I got a half growler last year around end of Sept. That store (Hop City) had just recently opened and I think the owner had saved a keg as a special surprise for us.

Got to try some Sun King Brewing stuff tonight at a local bar. Had the Osiris Pale Ale and the Sunlight Cream Ale. The freaking Osiris Pale Ale just blew me away. $4 bucks a can which is really cheap for being out and about. This particular bar allows carry outs during the week, I think I might just start checking them out and possibly getting some bargains.

The Sunlight Cream Ale wasn't really up my alley. Then again I'm not a fan of that style to begin with. It was pretty decent but I wouldn't drink it again. I'm fairly open minded when it comes to trying new beers and haven't really come across one that I will just flat out not drink yet.

I didn't get to try out the Wee Mac as it was pretty much closing time by then. Like I said though, I am definitely gonna go up there some time this upcoming week and see if I can score some mix & match stuff on the cheap. That area isn't really particular on the beer scene and the stuff will most likely end up siting anyway.

Cheers!

Picked up some Old Chub, can't wait to crack them open this weekend.

Sierra Nevada is also doing a summer run of Ruthless Rye 2013. So excited for it!

Just has a Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale. One of my first craft beers and it continues to never disappoint. So damn good! Picked up their Day Man ipa the other day. Cant wait to try it.

Picked up a 6 pack of Victory's Hop Wallop this afternoon. A bit more than I like to spend @ $13 for a 6. Stuff is pretty good but a bit too hoppy for me I think. It packs a nice 8.5% which isn't too noticeable. I like it but not sure if I'd buy again. I can usually get a Goose Island or New belgium 12 pack sampler for that price so :/

Had a lot of beer lately.

A couple hefeweisses--Paulener and forget the other.

Sam Adams Summer Sampler. The standard Boston Lager and Summer Ale. The other stuff was all pretty solid. Porch Rocker was a lemony beer that was very good, the Little White Rye was solid, the Belgian Session was ok, and even the Blueberry Hill Lager was all right as the blueberry flavor wasn't over done.

The Rye got me on a rye kick so I had some Sweetwater LowRyder IPA and got a growler of Monday Night Brewing's Eye Patch IPA which I'm having now which is very good with a nice rye bite to it.

Last, but not least, scored a couple bombers of Stone Enjoy By 5-17-13 IPA and Stone Espresso Russian Imperial Stout. Had the last batch of Enjoy By in growler and loved it, and the regular Stone RIS is one of my favorite beers so I'm really looking forward to trying this odd year take on it.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Picked up a 6 pack of Victory's Hop Wallop this afternoon. A bit more than I like to spend @ $13 for a 6. Stuff is pretty good but a bit too hoppy for me I think. It packs a nice 8.5% which isn't too noticeable. I like it but not sure if I'd buy again. /[/QUOTE]

Maybe give the Victory Hop Devil a try.

The Hop Wallop is their double/imperial IPA so it's hoppier, higher alcohol and pricier.

The Hop Devil is damn good, not as hoppy, lower ABV and usually around $9.99 a sixer.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Maybe give the Victory Hop Devil a try.

The Hop Wallop is their double/imperial IPA so it's hoppier, higher alcohol and pricier.

The Hop Devil is damn good, not as hoppy, lower ABV and usually around $9.99 a sixer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've had the Hop Devil before. I'm drinking another 2 bottles Hop Wallop tonight and it's kicking my ass. I don't know why I said the 8.5% wasn't very noticeable because I sure taste it tonight, lol. Still gonna have another 2 left after tonight. I really need to drink this stuff already!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Sam Adams Summer Sampler. The standard Boston Lager and Summer Ale. The other stuff was all pretty solid. Porch Rocker was a lemony beer that was very good, the Little White Rye was solid, the Belgian Session was ok, and even the Blueberry Hill Lager was all right as the blueberry flavor wasn't over done.[/QUOTE]

Saw that you mentioned this, so I picked one up when I was out yesterday. Definitely not a bad choice. I usually enjoy summer beers as I like fruity beers, and this pack didn't disappoint. Although I still don't like the standard Boston Lager, so my room mate took those off of my hands.

And speaking of summer beers, has anybody tried the Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy (or something like that)? Leinenkugel's tend to be a bit too sweet for my tastes, but I'm curious about this one.

Other than the Sam Adams, I tried a Three Floyd's Lord Rear Admiral recently as well. I though it was pretty good, although not nearly as good as the Dreadnaught that I'm saving. :) Also tried some Hawaiian type beers from Kona(?). My room mate and I did a mix-a-six, so we tried all six of them. Not bad overall. Not my first choice, but I'd pick up a six pack for a decent price.

I tried the summer shandy and it wasn't bad if I remember right. I just picked up the summer sampler from sam adams. Plan to give them a try over the next few days.

Untapped is another social beer app. I'm not sure if it is on iOS, but it is on Android. I tend to use it when I'm at festivals if I remember it. That is till I'm to drunk to use it. The app is better than the site because you can put the points at half and not a full point unlike the site that is just 1 out of 5.

Yeah Untapped is a nice little app. I like to use it to keep tabs of all the new beers I try and for when im out looking for new beers Ive yet too try.

Went to a local pub that was having a Great Lakes Brewing launch event last night. Tried out their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and it was damn good. Really nice coffee taste too it. Picked up a six pack of their ipa today along with a Founders Doom and their Double Trouble and a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout.

[quote name='motorkill']Tried out their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter[/QUOTE]

That's the clone recipe I just brewed - a week or two and I'll be trying one.

I haven't had anything too exciting lately. Southern Tier Eurotrash Pils - decent I suppose. Also picked up a case of local brew from Costco - Good People pale ale (in cans) - real easy drinking hoppy pale ale - having one right now. Been drinking bourbon and wine a bit more than beer lately though.

Odell-Tree-Shaker-Imperial-Peach-IPA.png

Had a bottle of this over the weekend. Peach is subtle and kind of lessens the hop flavor, especially since it is an Imperial IPA. Either way I enjoyed it and will probably pick up another bottle :)

^ I just put that on my next to try list. Sounds good.

Also, has anybody ever been to Three Floyd's Dark Lord day (or even tried Dark Lord)? I was in Hammond this weekend and wanted to stop by the brewery, but I forgot it was Dark Lord day. :( I'm thinking about trying to get tickets next year. It seems like a fun event.

Bustin' out an oldie tonight! 2007 Jolly Pumpkin Noel de Calabaza Oak Aged Belgian strong dark (batch 331). 9% abv. No lack of carbonation in this bad boy - crazy head on it every pour! Very smooth, creamy mouthfeel though. Typical banana (and some plum) fruitiness. A bit dry. Nutty/bready-ness at the front. No alcohol taste at all. This thing aged nicely. Very easy drinking beer.

We opened it for a special occasion - my wife is pregnant! It will be our second - we have a 2 1/2 year old daughter.

Access - I've never been to DLD nor had a Dark Lord but it's sort of kind of on my bucket list. That and Pliney the Younger and maybe Hunahpu Day at Cigar City Brewery. Maybe one day.

Congrats on the news bordjon.

Never been to Dark Lord day either but going by the pics Ive seen on instagram, it looks like a blast. Definitely something I wanna attend someday.

Had the Stone Drink By the other day. Really enjoyed it. Also had a Tripel Horse by River Horse Brew which is always excellent.

Anyone try out Yeti? It is a really dark stout and has full flavor! Also had a try of a local breweries taste favorite, which is a banana hef.

Both were great and of course the Yeti was very strong.

Our governor just signed our homebrew bill in to law! Sure - we are the 50th state to legalize homebrew but it's legal here now! (well - technically - Mississippi's law won't go in to effect until July 1 so it'll be legal here before there...)

Had some good stuff the past week or so.

Finally got to try Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout randomly. Was having brunch last saturday and the place was having a Kentucky Derby Special and guess they had saved a keg of KBS for that. Damn good, definitely lived up to the hype.

Sam Adams Grumpy Monk--pretty solid take on a Belgian-style pale ale.

Sam Adams Stony Brook Red--they call it a Belgian style red, but I'd liken it more to a Flemish sour. Pretty good.

Other than that, just been pounding regular staples like Dales Pale Ale, Stone IPA and Terrapin Hopsecutioner.

My lady and I put away 3 pitchers of PBR over the weekend while playing shuffleboard. Haven't had it in a while, and it wasn't too bad. . .$6 a pitcher means it was a cheap night. Choices were Miller Lite, Bud Light, or PBR, so I let her decide. Bud Light is super skunky swill and I detest it, Miller Lite is tolerable at its best, horrid at its worst. Bud Light with Lime isn't too bad though. . .Surprisingly.

Beer of choice at the moment is Sol, imported from Mexico, with some lime. It's like Mexican Corona AKA better than shitty US Corona. Typically I pick up Sam Adams Boston Lager because it's easy to find here. I'd drink Newcastle more often if it wasn't $9 a six pack.

I don't mind shelling out a little more when it comes to beer. Ive spent more then 9 dollars on a four pack of beer, but mind you I tend not to drink the whole thing in one night. I like to save a bottle or two and let my stash of beer stack up so I dont have to go beer shopping so often(which is a lie cause I still do every week:razz:).

Which brings me to this question? When on a budget, whats you're go to cheap beer? I personally tend to go with Yuengling black n tan, Saranac IPA, or a Stone bomber.

I don't really drink any cheap beer these days. Even Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada etc. that are my "buy if they don't have anything better" beers are $8.99+ a six pack usually.

I mostly buy things that are right around $10 a six pack, be it Stone IPA, Dale's Pale Ale or some local beers from Sweetwater or Terrapin, or trying something new.

Just not much I like under that, and I don't often buy things that are more than that price since there is so much I love at the $9-10 a six pack price point.

For trying new things these days I more often go for growlers. Often pricier than that, but draft is the way to try new stuff IMO.

Just had a Left Hand Nitro milk stout for the first time - not bad at all! And of course - fun to pour!

I don't really do budget beers exactly - but I do buy them on sale or in bulk sometimes. For instance, today a local grocery store put some beer on sale for craft beer week. I picked up a couple local sixers (cans) for 7.99. Good People coffee oatmeal stout and Straight to Ale Monkeynaught IPA. Regularly 8.99. They also had all the Oskar Blues sixers for 7.99 which is a good deal as well. (Can't remember the other stuff they had on sale.) I also picked up a case of local brew a few weeks ago - Good People Pale Ale - at Costco for 30 bucks - which is a six dollar savings off of regular price of their sixers. Which I'm drinking right now (after the nitro stout.)

I got a 12 pack sampler of Leinenkugels Shandy stuff. It comes with 4 Lemon Berry, 4 Orange and 4 Summer. They're all pretty decent and for $10 it's a nice buy. These would be pretty nice to drink on a hot summer day and they go down real smooth.

While anything Sierra Nevada is a win, I've been enjoying Victory as my go-to brew for a while now, especially Prima Pils and recently, Summer Love. Doesn't hurt that I live near the brewery, which also serves great food.

Honorable mention to Golden Monkey and Stormking Stout.

Took a trip to Nashville this past weekend and picked up a few things. I'm having a 2013 Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest ale and it's really awesome. I sort of remember last years not really blowing me away but this one is great for whatever reason. These New Zealand hops are nice! (I'm really not trying to sound like a goofy beer geek here...) Maybe also I'm excited because the freakin' bomber was only 4.99 on special. I don't remember the Harvest being that cheap. Also picked up a sixer of that New Belgium Rolle Bolle - nice, easy drinking beer for sure. Yazoo Sue (Imperial Smoked Porter) bomber for 4.99! Some sublimely self-righteous and some oaked arrogant bastard since we don't get stone here (yet!). And a 750 of some Lexington bourbon.

Picked up a six of Caldera IPA the other day and have had two so far. Really nice, complex beer but I'm not sure it's worthy of the 12.99 price tag. Maybe.

My homebrew porter is finally coming in to it's own and is pretty darn solid!

Harpoon's Rye IPA is petty tasty.  Been on a rye beer kick lately, and that's probably the best one I've had thus far as I'd put it a bit above the Sweetwater Lowryder and Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye.  Didn't care for Terrapins, and the one in the Sam Adams Summer Mix pack is just all right.

Rogue's Roguenbier Rye Ale was pretty solid as well--but very different as its a german rye ale and not an IPA, so a lot maltier/sweeter than the ones above.

Had a wonderful evening last night with a few Yuengling traditional lagers.  My absolute favorite beer.  Fun to party with, fun to socialize with, fun to casually drink with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brewing a DFH 60 min clone right now. Man brewing beer smells so good!

Got to have some Seeing Double IPA from Foothills the other night for the first time in a few years. A friend brought some back from his Asheville trip. Excellent beer. He said he also brought a People's Porter back for me but forgot to bring it that night.

Only new thing I've had lately was Magic Hat's Ticket to Rye last night.  One of the better Rye IPAs I've had so far.  More rye bite and hoppier than most, and higher ABV than most at 7.1%.

Otherwise, just been drinking favorites lately.  Did have Sam Adams in a can for the first time.  Pretty solid assuming you like the Boston Lager.  Tastes fine straight out of the can, whereas a lot of canned microbrews (21st Amendment, Oskar Blues etc. I much prefer pouring into a glass).

Nothing too adventurous lately. Had a Sierra Nevada Hoptimum and a Double Dragonfly IPA (Upland) over the weekend. Also had the Goose Island Sofie which I REALLY liked. Other than that, been drinking the usuals. Managed to score some Gumballhead last night though, so that was a treat. :)

Guy at work gave me his beer brewing equipment. It's just a random box full of crap, so I've got a lot of learning to do. :p Thinking about taking some time this Saturday to sit down and figure most of it out. There's a place nearby called Great Fermentations that has all of the supplies I need, so I'll probably be asking for plenty of advice. I'll probably get set up this weekend and do my first brew next weekend, but we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, grabbed some good stuff today. Gumballhead and Zombie Dust are in the vault, and I grabbed a Sierra Nevada variety pack. Came with their IPA, their Black IPA and their Imperial Red Ale. The Red Ale is delicious so far. I'd recommend it to anybody who likes Sierra Nevada.

bread's done
Back