CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

You should go. Their Vertical Epic is awesome and their Brewery and Beer Garden is very nice. Food is a bit over priced, but most all the beer is $5 a pint on tap which is a great price for Stone Brews.

Just had my 2004 Double Bastard last night! Pretty interesting. Still very carbonated. The aroma was strong and sweet. Very sweet - reminded me a lot of a barleywine. Had a bit of bitterness/burntness at the end - but most all the bitterness was gone and the malty sweetness had taken over. Strong alcohol warming/burn towards middle/end - stronger than I would expect from a 10%. I really wish I'd had a current Double Bastard along side to compare. Pretty neat - my first 6 year old beer!

[quote name='rabbitt']American Strong Ale. The alcohol comes through in a strange way - you'll either love or hate it. Dark fruits, strong hops, unmistakable taste.[/QUOTE]

Nosferatu just showed up at the local grocery store, I'll have to give it shot. I generally like anything Great Lakes does.

Currently enjoying a sixer of Victory Festbier.

• Dos Equis
  • Pyramid Haywire
  • Bud Light
I'm not really picky. If I have the money I'll buy hefs all night, but usually Dos or BL is the cheapest.

Sam Adams Winter sampler is out now--and a pleasant surprise is that it no longer has the awful Cranberry Lambic! Has a Chocolate Bock (which is decent) in it's place.

Also added the White Ale in place of (I think) the Cream Stout from years past. So it's Chocolate Bock, Holiday Porter, Old Fezziwig's Ale, Boston Lager, Winter Lager and White Ale (2 of each).

Man that Cranberry Lambic was awful. My wife loves a lambic but she couldn't stand it either. I'll have to pick it up to try that chocolate bock. Just picked up a six of Paulaner Salvator double bock a few days ago. I remember always liking everything that was in the pack - but always cringed at the thought of the cranberry lambic.

Yep, exactly. Now everything in the pack is at least ok, so it's a nice variety pack to grab at the grocery store when I don't feel like trekking over to the beer store.

Have been drinking some 2010 Sierra Nevada Celebration. Tastes pretty good this year - hopheads get it now - really the fresher the better for the dry hopped stuff.

[quote name='bordjon']Have been drinking some 2010 Sierra Nevada Celebration. Tastes pretty good this year - hopheads get it now - really the fresher the better for the dry hopped stuff.[/QUOTE]

I picked up a big bottle of Sierra Nevada Estate. It's seasonal and the bottle looked nice so I grabbed it. Sometimes the design of a bottle determines my selection. Think I'll have it tonight.

Couldn't find Nosferatu. Guess they don't sell it down here.

[quote name='bordjon']Have been drinking some 2010 Sierra Nevada Celebration. Tastes pretty good this year - hopheads get it now - really the fresher the better for the dry hopped stuff.[/QUOTE]

I've been drinking that as well. It's damn good this year.

I just pulled out one of my last 4, 2009 bottles and it was better than I remember it from last year. I will be picking up some 2010 soon.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Sam Adams Winter sampler is out now--and a pleasant surprise is that it no longer has the awful Cranberry Lambic! Has a Chocolate Bock (which is decent) in it's place.

Also added the White Ale in place of (I think) the Cream Stout from years past. So it's Chocolate Bock, Holiday Porter, Old Fezziwig's Ale, Boston Lager, Winter Lager and White Ale (2 of each).[/QUOTE]

No more lambic is awesome! My wife would always get pissed that she would buy the 24 bottle sampler at Costco and I'd only drink 21.

Staying with Sam Adams, I just finished a sixer of their Black Lager. I was pleasantly surprised with the chocolate and caramel notes on top of that Sam Adams hoppy bite.

Will be drinking lots of Fat Tire and Coor's Light and Rolling Rock this weekend while me, the wife and my best friend get the Utimate Setlist achievement on Rockband 3 this weekend.

Fridge is stocked with Brooklyn Lager and Brooklyn Pilsner. I have to get off this stuff because winter is coming. I need a good dunkel or just another dark lager. Any suggestions? Cost is somewhat important. I like to be around $1.00 to 1.50 for every 12 ounces.

[quote name='depascal22']I just finished a sixer of their Black Lager.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the black lager is real good - I need to pick some up - haven't had it in probably two years!

[quote name='jughead']Fridge is stocked with Brooklyn Lager and Brooklyn Pilsner. I have to get off this stuff because winter is coming. I need a good dunkel or just another dark lager. Any suggestions? Cost is somewhat important. I like to be around $1.00 to 1.50 for every 12 ounces.[/QUOTE]

The Sam Adams Black Lager is alright and around that price range.

There's also the winter sampler 12 pack that has 2 each of a Chocolate Bock, a winter ale and a Porter in it (along with the regular Boston Lager, Winter Lager and White Ale).

None are great, but decent. I can't think of much else in that price range as most good dunkels are imports, and I don't like lagers much.

[quote name='jughead']Fridge is stocked with Brooklyn Lager and Brooklyn Pilsner. I have to get off this stuff because winter is coming. I need a good dunkel or just another dark lager. Any suggestions? Cost is somewhat important. I like to be around $1.00 to 1.50 for every 12 ounces.[/QUOTE]

This meets neither your style nor your price requirement, but I just wanted to say that North Coast's Old Rasputin is a great winter-time beer. The 9% ABV helps make up for it's slightly steep price.

Yeah, I love imperial stouts. Just didn't recommend any as I couldn't come up with any good ones in his price range.

Being a cheap ass and drinking good beer just aren't very compatible! :D

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I love imperial stouts. Just didn't recommend any as I couldn't come up with any good ones in his price range.

Being a cheap ass and drinking good beer just aren't very compatible! :D[/QUOTE]

Haha, very true. Expensive beer = less video games. It's a delicate balance.

[quote name='irratebass']Will be drinking lots of Fat Tire and Coor's Light and Rolling Rock this weekend while me, the wife and my best friend get the Utimate Setlist achievement on Rockband 3 this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Got it!!!!!!

Just discovered that Newcastle comes in the 5L mini keg like Heineken does. My local grocery store also stores them ice cold and at $16.99 ea not a bad price imo.

[quote name='blissskr']Just discovered that Newcastle comes in the 5L mini keg like Heineken does. My local grocery store also stores them ice cold and at $16.99 ea not a bad price imo.[/QUOTE]

I know that keg is compatible with the Heineken mini kegerator, but is that machine required to use this mini keg?

[quote name='kevlar51']I know that keg is compatible with the Heineken mini kegerator, but is that machine required to use this mini keg?[/QUOTE]

The Newcastle mini-keg comes with the same "tap" that the Heineken keg comes with.

The Bitburger and the Beck's spigots are on the bottom so they wouldn't be compatible.

[quote name='kevlar51']I know that keg is compatible with the Heineken mini kegerator, but is that machine required to use this mini keg?[/QUOTE]

No not required at all. And If your partying get some fish tank tubing and you can attach that to the tap thing and pump beer directly into your mouth lol works with both mini kegs.

Yeah, there's no need for the Kegerator. That's only if you need to keep it cold to drink over a period of time yourself etc.

For a party you can just sit it out--there's not that much beer in it so even with just a handful of drinkers you'll kill it before it gets too warm--and Newcastle tastes fine a bit warm anyway (Heineken doesn't though if you go for that).

Even if you need to keep it cold, you can fit it on the bottom shelf of most refrigerators.

anyone ever had Rogue Golden Cream Ale? I'm a right-coaster and managed to snag a six pack a couple of years ago but it appears it's not made any more.....

Had a Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast yesterday. It's a coffee oatmeal stout at 7.5%. It was pretty darn awesome. Nice carbonation, nice hint of some grassy bitterness and a great roasted/burnt taste at the end. Loved it. Mikkeller Black Hole is on deck.

Also had some Anchor Steam. Haven't had this in years. What a great and easy drinkin' beer!

Damn. Thought I bought the Stone Verticle Epic 10/10/10, but apparently they had some 9/9/9 mixed in on the shelf and I didn't pay attention. Oh well, last years was great anyway!

Also picked up some Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout which is great as always, and a sixer of Southern Tier 2XIPA which is just ok. Oh and also a bomber of Clipper City Hang Ten.

Had a Brooklyn Detonation Ale last night at a local beer bar after work. Limited draft-only release. Imperial IPA, huge citrus hop aroma/flavor, great malt, and very full bodied. If you can find this, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Other recent acquisitions (haven't broken into them all yet):

Brooklyn Winter Lager
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale (Wet Hop)
Stone Vertical Epic 10-10-10
Orval Ale
Cigar City Humidor Cedar Aged IPA

The fall/winter beer season is so expensive :cry:.

Brooklyn just pulled out of my state. Said something about wanting to focus on more mature markets. I didn't buy much from them but their black chocolate stout was pretty good (and Local 1). I hate to see 'em go but oh well...

The fall/winter beers are pricey, but a lot of them are 8-10%+ so you're getting more bang for that buck in terms of how many you can drink in a night and not pay for it the next day etc.! :D

[quote name='dmaul1114']The fall/winter beers are pricey, but a lot of them are 8-10%+ so you're getting more bang for that buck in terms of how many you can drink in a night and not pay for it the next day etc.! :D[/QUOTE]
The fall/winter beers usually aren't too out of the norm in terms price, it's just there are so many good ones in such a short period! Fall and winter have the seasonal beers by far.

Just got back from California and I had so many new beers that I lost track. I did have a Pliny the Elder IPA out of Santa Rosa that was so good, I seriously considered ways to smuggle a growler in my carry on. Hops without overpowering a perfect 8%ABV. You can taste the beer instead of being overpowered by a "barley wine".

Having the Mikkeller Black Hole tonight. Stout brewed with coffee - 13.1% abv! Zero carbonation - which makes it a bit odd for me - not really my thing. Bit of chocolate in the nose. Syrupy sweet - alcohol burn - just a bit too much for me really. I was talking with my wife though and we decided we'd be curious what a reduction sauce made with it would be like - say with a steak of some sort. I don't think I've ever done a beer reduction - only wine.

I'm a big fan of Newcastle brown ale and John smith's bitter right now but i've been sticking to the homebrew lately 10% phew!! it's lethal!

Just bought a case of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Thought I'd try something new. Not too sure if I should have bought this one. It's kind of like drinking cough syrup.

I was glad to see they replaced the Cranberry Lambic and Coastal Wheat in the Sam Adams Winter Sampler, unfortunately the Chocolate Bock is mediocre at best. Has a metallic aftertaste and it didn't sit well. I haven't tried the White Ale yet but hopefully it proves better.

On the same note, do they produce 6-12 pack of Old Fezzwig Ale? I'd love to find that by itself.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I'm one of those loser college kids you see drinking Keystones and other cheap stuff every weekend.[/QUOTE]

We're probably BFF's in RL.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Rogue Mocha Porter
[/QUOTE]

If you ever get a chance to hit up a Rogue brewery in Oregon or Washington, make sure the Double Mocha Porter is on tap. It is TWICE as nice as the regular mocha porter. Also the double mocha porter hits in about 11% Alc.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I was glad to see they replaced the Cranberry Lambic and Coastal Wheat in the Sam Adams Winter Sampler, unfortunately the Chocolate Bock is mediocre at best. Has a metallic aftertaste and it didn't sit well. I haven't tried the White Ale yet but hopefully it proves better.

On the same note, do they produce 6-12 pack of Old Fezzwig Ale? I'd love to find that by itself.[/QUOTE]

I finally got around to picking this sampler up this year. I agree that the Chocolate Bock isn't great - very underwhelming. I'm not sure what I was hoping for but... at least it's better than that cranberry garbage they called a lambic. Yeah the Old Fezziwig is the best thing in the pack to me. I've never seen it sold separately.

[quote name='cindersphere']Can anyone recommend a new beer for someone who like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?[/QUOTE]

I REALLY like Southern Tier's "Phin and Matt's Extraordinary Ale". Nice, smooth APA.

Since Sierra Nevada stuff is already available to you, I would give their seasonal Celebration Ale a shot. It's an IPA, so expect a lot more hop kick.

Try and find Sierra Nevada's Estate beer. As for other beers of that type, I'd go with Bell's Two Hearted if you can find it.

Also, did you guys hear that Guiness is finally releasing their Foreign Extra Stout in the United States? I'm heading to my favorite import liquor store later today to see if they got it.

bread's done
Back