CAG-CAG - Open Disccusion on Actual Advocacy Group?

Izod517

CAGiversary!
Feedback
109 (100%)
In light of the ECA debacle (please refer any comments on that issue here and keep them OUT of this thread http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244949&page=1 ), I thought we should start an open discussion in regards to the possibility of a consumer activist group for gamers by gamers. We have already shown the ability to mobilize in great numbers to achieve our goals and that as a community we have a great many tools and specialized abilities between the current CAG group. I realize that something like this would require a great deal of time, energy, and money; it is something that could not be done lightly or easily - however, I feel it's something we should at least discuss. Please keep the discussion on topic and leave out any references to the ECA.

Does anyone have any thoughts into actually creating an advocacy group? Do you have any special skills or experiences that would aide in the creation of said group? Etc. etc. etc. Open mic. I'd love to hear actual thoughts on the matter, but something a bit more substantive than pure conjecture - hopes - complaints - etc.

Even a small advocacy group like ECA required a lot of man hours, money, and contacts within the industry.

And to be honest, this sums up my thoughts on this issue. From whoever wrote Hal Halpin's wikipedia page:

The Entertainment Consumers Association was launched in response to the need for consumer rights advocacy following a string of anti-games and anti-gamer legislation which would have criminalized the sale of certain video games if not for the efforts of trade groups in opposition. The industry itself was well represented by the International Game Developers Association (IGDA), the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), and the Entertainment Merchants Association (EMA), but those that purchase and play games went completely unrepresented until the launch of the ECA.

To me, the publishers and developers are surely going to watch out for their own asses, and they'll have more money than we ever would to lobby against any anti-video game laws.

On top of that, broad issues like net neutrality have consumer groups looking into it under which gamers would fall.

Ironically, the only issue where there may need to be consumer representation is with EULAs and TOS - as Hal Halpin's article famously noted.

But when we have those same problems with EULAs and TOSes with the consumer group that's supposed to protect us, where do we turn to?

Surely there must be some kind of software consumer group looking out for consumers with fast changing and illegal EULAs and TOSes, right? Does anyone know of one?

My tl;dr point is that it seems like video gamers are protected by a penumbra of other organizations. While it would be nice to have our own dedicated group we could trust, perhaps its not necessary.

If anything, Cheapy D should talk to ECA sponsors to see about getting some CAG sponsorships, like the GameStop "cag16" code. That's what we're HERE for, right? To save a few bucks, not fight for our rights that may or may not actually be threatened!

We wouldn't need much time, energy or money to top the ECA. Not just in the sense that they don't seem to do anything. I mean that they seem to be a small group of people who are out of touch, while this is a large forum, composed of avid gamers who share the same interest in the industry. Most of us are here in the first place because we have a problem with overpriced games, and I'm sure most of us share the same distaste for Jack Thompson-esque figures/politicians, big game corporations and things like DRM. It's nice that groups like the ECA have sponsors and connections in the industry, but that doesn't mean a lot compared to the sheer number of people at CAG or GAF. I think consumer power/knowledge is more important than even a consumer advocacy group that isn't shady.

I think the fact that only maybe 15% of the people here read forums other than the deal and trade forums (if I had to guess - I could totally be wrong) and no one is really interested in responding to this topic shows you where a CAG advocacy group stands - dead in the water.

[quote name='kodave']I think the fact that only maybe 15% of the people here read forums other than the deal and trade forums (if I had to guess - I could totally be wrong) and no one is really interested in responding to this topic shows you where a CAG advocacy group stands - dead in the water.[/QUOTE]

I haven't really posted outside of those forums either. I think if it was brought to their attention, people would be up for it.

Well, firstly it definitely wouldn't be CAGCAG, since I think you'd want a better name and to have it completely separate from CAG in order to appeal to more people. And secondly, if it was CAG only or based mostly on CAGs it wouldn't be very effective and most people wouldn't want to pay for it.

An improved ECA would be a much better option than trying to start something new. So we just have to try to shape what's already there. Replace Halpin if he continues to act like he's better than the members of his group and not give out free memberships and act surprised when people actually use them.

[quote name='kodave']If anything, Cheapy D should talk to ECA sponsors to see about getting some CAG sponsorships, like the GameStop "cag16" code. That's what we're HERE for, right? To save a few bucks, not fight for our rights that may or may not actually be threatened![/QUOTE]

That sounds like the sort of things we should focus efforts on, especially since game publishers and developers will protect themselves and in turn the consumers from anti-gaming laws.

bread's done
Back