CAG Call! Please take my survey... writing a research paper on video game violence

Thanks to those who have taken it so far. I'm trying to get a dataset of at least 500 responses, so please also feel forward to send the link to other people. I really appreciate it!

Why is it necessary to put your name and full address to get "demographic information?" I refuse to take the survey if I have to give away such information.

Ditto on that. I put in nearby, but not exact information. You should only need our city/state or zip code or area code. Our names are irrelevant as are our e-mail addresses.

The questions go where I need them to go. Some answers lead to other questions. This also isn't a graduate-level project. If I had an entire semester to formulate a data plan and gather information, I'd probably have a much longer survey, but for my purposes, this should suffice for my non-academic journal category of data.

Yup, seriously. Jesus people, I'm not writing a paper for the ESRB or some secret-squirrel government anti-video game panel. It's a simple questionaire. I can deal with the constructive criticisms (as in, I removed most of the optional demographic info because people thought it was all required), but I assure you I'm not angling to prove that video games make people violent. In fact, pretty much the whole of my research paper is a farce because I have a pre-conceived notion that violence in games and out of games has no causal relationship, making my research somewhat jaded from the get-go.

Also, plenty of people have NOT ever been violent. A 3-y/o throwing a temper tantrum isn't violence. Personally, I don't fall in this category, but I think plenty of people have never been violent with another person or object. Also, by clicking yes, you are brought ato a separate question where you can say, "hey, I hit a wall" or "hey, I killed a dog". Those are pretty vastly different things.

In other words, STFU and take the survey. I mean...

Very few people have never been violent. Be it getting in a fight in school, throwing a game controller across the room in frustration, punching a wall etc.

If you ask people "have you ever been violent" you'll probably get a lot of no responses as people lie, or don't consider punching a wall or something an act of violence.

But fair enough if it's just for some pointless class paper--I'm anal being a survey researcher. :D

Haha, yeah I know. But there's even an option to say "inanimate object" as the target of your violence.

Frankly, no matter how well a survey is written you have two options that both cause problems:

a) It's a public/uncontrolled environment (like this) where people are probably going to lie anyhow, even on unimportant data, or

b) It's a controlled environment where you are not (usually) getting a good sample of data and people will still often lie, though on different types of questions.

As with any statistical data, even the best data set from a survey must be taken with a grain of salt.

I'd have taken that question out and just put "Never" or "N/A" as an option on the next page (the one that asks about the targets of your aggression).

Butfuckwhatever.

Yeah, a better what to get at it is to not have that "have you ever committed a violent act" flow through question and just have a series of yes/no questions like:

Did you ever get a in a fight in school?
Have you ever punched a wall out of frustration?

etc. etc. Those are more straight forward, people may still lie (not so likely on an anonymous online survey) but at least they know what you mean and don't just say no to the first question and never get to answer the individual items.

[quote name='xepherys']Yup, seriously. Jesus people, I'm not writing a paper for the ESRB or some secret-squirrel government anti-video game panel. It's a simple questionaire. I can deal with the constructive criticisms (as in, I removed most of the optional demographic info because people thought it was all required), but I assure you I'm not angling to prove that video games make people violent. In fact, pretty much the whole of my research paper is a farce because I have a pre-conceived notion that violence in games and out of games has no causal relationship, making my research somewhat jaded from the get-go.

Also, plenty of people have NOT ever been violent. A 3-y/o throwing a temper tantrum isn't violence. Personally, I don't fall in this category, but I think plenty of people have never been violent with another person or object. Also, by clicking yes, you are brought ato a separate question where you can say, "hey, I hit a wall" or "hey, I killed a dog". Those are pretty vastly different things.

In other words, STFU and take the survey. I mean...

heavyd-

What I've found is that even the most well written research admits that there isn't a causal relationship, but rather that people with externally violent behavior also have a tendency to enjoy violent games more, but that enjoying violent games is not an indicator of violent behavior at all.

This little study is just because I need some first-person research, and so I'm performing a few interviews and trying to gather data via this survey. It's a research paper for a Rhetoric class, so it's not a huge deal, just trying to keep a 4.0 in my major classes. :)

bread's done
Back