CAG Car Thread!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2016-cadillac-cts-v-official-specs-and-pictures/

"Cadillac’s 2016 CTS-V hits 200 mph with a 640-hp V8 yanked from a Corvette Z06"

2016-cadillac-ctsv-sedan-009-970x548-c.jpg

Oh my.... but I will probably pass since no wagon variant... and will be a buttload more expensive.

I've got my eyes set on eventually getting a C7 Z06 instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my.... but I will probably pass since no wagon variant... and will be a buttload more expensive.
That's what the 10 year car loans are for! :lol:

Saw on the news the average new car loan passed the 8 year mark this year. Yikes. Bankers love them some bubbles.

Saw on the news the average new car loan passed the 8 year mark this year. Yikes. Bankers love them some bubbles.
yea, we only do 7 year max, and that is for cars newer than 2004....

f'ing ridiculous if you ask me. If you need 8 years to pay off a car you're doing it wrong. Get a cheaper car. Though honestly living in LA, I see way too many people with overpriced cars out here ;)

I got a 3 year loan for my car and at 0.8%

I guess if you can buy a crazy expensive car ($100k plus) with an 8-10 year note, your payments certainly become slightly more affordable. But just because you can make the payment doesn't mean you should buy the car.

Man, I just bought a 2012 Jetta TDI and was nervous over the 2 year note. I can't imagine buying a car I would pay on as long as a small house!

Heres my current daily/ongoing project. It's a 97 4runner base model that I've built from the ground up, good to see other car guys on CAG

biv6bVr.jpg

tl;dr fuck YOU EXPRESSWAY TOYOTA!!!

So I accompanied my BIL to get a car on Friday to make sure that he doesn't get ripped off. We had already been given a quote for $21900 OTD on a 2015 Camry. All we needed to do was do a test drive, sign, and come back another day to pay the balance to pick up the car. He's 27-28, but he looks like he's 18 and some salesmen have been trying to pull some fast ones.

I took a look at the car and noticed some light scratches on the clearcoat that would need to be buffed out and immediately, I knew that I can't let any of the techs wash the car. I told the sales guy about me not wanting the car washed and he scoffed at the idea of letting the car drive out of lot without a wash. Dude said that he has them wash his car all the time and that it's always nice and shiny. :rofl: I bet his car is so fucking scratched up that he's seeing holograms. I tried to explain that this is one of my requests and that I'm VERY particular about my cars. He then says that any scratches would be covered by the warranty. At this point, my bullshit meter was pinging like crazy. Next thing I know, he's rubbing the scratch aka rubbing more dirt into the clearcoat and says, "Look! It's gone! It was just tape residue." I'm standing there still looking at the scratch with his finger trails that left more scratches. Motherfuck. I explain that wax will only cover it up temporarily and after a couple weeks, it'll reappear. Asshole snarkily tells me that if I know so much, how come they haven't hired me to detail all their cars and that no one has ever said anything like this to him in his 10+ years of selling cars. I tell him I'm happy to be the first.

We go inside to finalize the deal, which should've only taken 10 minutes since we already have a quote. Dude comes back after talking to the sales manager and says that it'll be another $225 for carpets. I'm like WTF? Guy says that it'll protect against mold and shit like that; this asshole is laying it down thick.

BIL is freezing and doesn't know what to do, so I step in and say that we came down because of the $21900 OTD quote. Blah blah blah and the sales manager comes over and says that he'll "split" the cost of the carpets. BIL still doesn't know what to do, but I'm thinking that he needs to make the decision because it's his $22k. I tell him this, look up the price of the mats, and then he decides to put down a non-refundable deposit.

The whole fam goes in yesterday morning to sign the rest of the paperwork and I tell the F&I guy that we don't want any dealer advertising on the car and that the car must be scratch and swirl-free. Dude says that it's not his department and we need to talk to the salesman. I run out and start arguing with the sales guy because he's giving me shit about it. Again, he says that he's been selling cars for x years and that no one has ever been so disrespectful to him. I told him that's because I know better than to blindly accept the bullshit coming out of his mouth. He grabs the sales manager and we get it in writing that the car won't be fucked.

Me and The Boss are sick of all the bullshit and the finance guy says that if we don't trust them to do this right, we can undo the deal and get the deposit back. We say fine and then he says that he can't do it today because the bean counters won't be in until Monday. He goes to grab the GM and he tells me to show him the issues with the car. He comes back at me with the same bullshit about tape residue and that it's either the car or the deposit. He even said that maybe he'll just keep the deposit and not sell us the car as it's within his rights because they've "worked too hard for this deal." I was hoping he'd go through with the threat because no court would let him keep $500 for stealing that money from us. Hell, even if we did decide to undo the deal, no court would give him the whole $500 and it'd cost him more to have a lawyer take care of this stuff.

Just went to do some spot checking on the car and the condition is no worse than when I first saw it, so I'm glad they didn't completely swirl up the paint or try to buff the scratches out. I can't wait to fuck them in the survey and call up Toyota to tell them what a shitty experience it was.

I've shopped around a lot and I've only been insulted once: when I made my first offer ever. Other than that one time, it's been nothing but respect and it takes about 15 minutes to come to a deal. No stereotypical salesman bullshit.

Wow, that sounded like more than a barrel of monkeys. Notice I left the word "fun" out.

What do you guys think of Ford going Turbo crazy? Really? An EcoBoost V6 GT?

A coworker and oval blue blood in his veins. Has a 2001 Mach 1 he bought new and it still with only a few thousand miles so far, a 65 Mustang, daily is an F150 and just bought a new Explorer last year.

They were trying to get him to get an EcoBoost for $1,000 more, and he refused because he has seen and heard so much bad about it.

The new EcoBoost Mustang is tuned for 93 octane, which isn't widely available anymore. You will lose 11% power on 87 according to recent dynos.(so, several percent at least on 91) That means on 87 you make less power than the standard V6 which calls for 87. Lol.

The new F150 4 cyl EB is getting horrible MPG across the car mag landscape. Motor Trend basically says that fact is what cost it the Truck of the Year award. Autobog said that three different editors failed to get more than 18 MPG on the highway, and its rated for 26.

Geez, Ford was on such a roll.

^^ I wish we had more 91 pumps here in New England. I've only found one gas station around me that has 91 and it's more expensive tha Hess 93.

Anyone been watching Barrett-Jackson this week?
The Scottsdale auction is the only one I watch, and have been for years. Looking forward to this evening and seeing the Ron Pratte cars again.

[quote name="6er" post="12418667" timestamp="1421458844"]Once you lose 93, you'll never get it back[/quote]
I first read that as "once you go 93, you won't go back" :)

I'm heading to the Boston Auto Show tomorrow. I hope there's some cool stuff.

^^ I wish we had more 91 pumps here in New England. I've only found one gas station around me that has 91 and it's more expensive tha Hess 93.
What about this pump? I think the highest standard around here is 91, you'll find some 93 and 100 pumps in certain stations.

270654459_c2b291c3d2.jpg

What about this pump? I think the highest standard around here is 91, you'll find some 93 and 100 pumps in certain stations.

270654459_c2b291c3d2.jpg
Would love be in have that around here. Have to drive to a race shop to get mine, in 5 gallon increments. The worst part? The refinery in Town is owned by Sunoco! But, no sunoco.....

So my wife's 2014 Kia Sorento cd player has decided to hold my xmas gift to her of the soundtrack to Annie hostage.  Read online and saw some videos where people say the only way to get it out is to put out the player unit itself and open it up to pull it out.  We have had nothing but off and on problems with that unit ranging from wonky blue tooth to un responsive buttons.  I have taken it to the dealership and they can't figure out what's wrong with it.  What are my options ?  am I still under warranty as we did officially report problems with the unit during the first year??

If you mean the cd is stuck in the player I would just use a paper clip to get it out if it's a one-cd player. If its multi then yeah I don't know how that would work.

So my wife's 2014 Kia Sorento cd player has decided to hold my xmas gift to her of the soundtrack to Annie hostage. Read online and saw some videos where people say the only way to get it out is to put out the player unit itself and open it up to pull it out. We have had nothing but off and on problems with that unit ranging from wonky blue tooth to un responsive buttons. I have taken it to the dealership and they can't figure out what's wrong with it. What are my options ? am I still under warranty as we did officially report problems with the unit during the first year??
Your car should still be under warranty, tell them to fix it. They should have to either get the cd out, or replace the unit.

I had an Uber driver last night with a 2010 Scion xB RS 7.0 (pictured below).

scionxbreleaseseries7live---02_opt.jpg

I've never really liked Scions, but this car was pretty cool. Awesome color, 5 speed manual transmission, nice interior, and a good price. I think he said he got it for like $18k out the door (brand new I believe). I love my Jetta, but for the same price as the Scion, I probably would have gotten the Scion. (Although I do get about 10mpg more.)

So my wife's 2014 Kia Sorento cd player has decided to hold my xmas gift to her of the soundtrack to Annie hostage. Read online and saw some videos where people say the only way to get it out is to put out the player unit itself and open it up to pull it out. We have had nothing but off and on problems with that unit ranging from wonky blue tooth to un responsive buttons. I have taken it to the dealership and they can't figure out what's wrong with it. What are my options ? am I still under warranty as we did officially report problems with the unit during the first year??
Take it to another dealership. If none of them fix it, report them to Kia Corporate. I can't believe they didn't fix it under warranty right away. Easy money for them.

ok, update on the stuck cd in my wife's KIA

Took it to the dealership and the guy stuck his pen at the small pin hole port to the right of the cd slot and bam..out came the CD.   All this time I thought it was an IR port (like what the S4 has) so I was afraid to poke it.   He updated the firmware of the media player from 0.02 to 0.07.     BT music still sounds like shit from my phone to the car....  so it must be the shitty BT on my phone....yet has no problems with my wife's Iphone (fuck you apple!) 

He showed us how to do a reset in the system.

In the end after waiting an hour he comes back and tells us normally they wash and clean the car as a curiosity but didn't because it was dizzly so they didn't vacuum.... geez...why tell us this if you aren't going to do it in the first place???  Honestly I don't care as it's my wife's car as she has already put over 20k since Sept 2013.  Grrr...

I was more embarrassed that all I had to do is pin that port and the cd would have come out on it's on. But then again if it was an IR port, then I could have fucked that up.   

I think you did the right thing with the KIA.

I don't know what it is about Toyota Trucks, but people think they are made of gold. Trying to find a used Truck at a reasonable price (KBB/Market) is difficult. I'm hoping that tax season brings a glut and the sky high prices come to a reasonable level. With my luck, tax season bring out the dolts who pay too much.

I was planning to get something new myself around the end of summer/fall but for the last two years I've been saying that and every time it gets to that point I rationalize that the one I have now is okay and "maybe next year". I hate what I have now but so far it's been alright since I've got it in 08. The last two years I've had to put some money into it for repairs but I'd rather pay those occasional fix costs than have a car payment of over 200 bucks every month for a few years. I guess we'll see how it fares the rest of this winter as we got a long time to go here before we are out of the cold and into the warmer months. For something that is 2-wheel drive it handles decently in the snow if there's not too much and ice well that's why I have studs lol.

I was planning to get something new myself around the end of summer/fall but for the last two years I've been saying that and every time it gets to that point I rationalize that the one I have now is okay and "maybe next year". I hate what I have now but so far it's been alright since I've got it in 08. The last two years I've had to put some money into it for repairs but I'd rather pay those occasional fix costs than have a car payment of over 200 bucks every month for a few years. I guess we'll see how it fares the rest of this winter as we got a long time to go here before we are out of the cold and into the warmer months. For something that is 2-wheel drive it handles decently in the snow if there's not too much and ice well that's why I have studs lol.
That's the way to do it. Get rid of it when it starts costing too much to repair to make sense keeping it. My car's a 2007 and I'll keep it for at least another 5 years, though I probably only put 5K miles per year on it.

Cruise-ins and shows will be starting soon. Any plans? Can be fun to check them out even if your not bringing something to show, always have all types, even at most brand specific shows.

I hit a local club event a few weeks ago, first time I went this group's event, had fun. People loved the old bird, I was one of three first gen F-Body's that showed up.

One of the guys in the club does some photography and Photoshop stuff and got some shots of some of the cars and did some nice work this is one of my favorite shots now:

DlCfZe9.jpg

I've tried using a leaf blower, but I much prefer just using a microfiber drying towel.
Pretty much this. Give it a few minutes for water to run off and evaporate them finish with a MR drying towel

Spent Sunday driving the fam around in the "borrowed" Camry to a few places and never fully realized how much I hate the fucking thing...LOLZ. It pitches...it rolls...brakes are either weak as fuck or will put you through the windshield because there's no progressive braking...handles like a fucking boat...couldn't see shit at night because halogen lights suck and I'm so used to HID's...smells like stale cologne stew because the BIL had it for 2-3 years. Hell, all the body roll was making ME car sick!

Man, I need to get a sportier family-mobile. :rofl:

What brand dohdough?  I have some drying towels just not thrilled with them.  The leaf blower is more of a blow a ton of the water off, then use the drying towel.  Trying to cut the process down, not as much time anymore with two kids.

I use the leaf blower....works great for wheels and door hinges.  After that I use a quick detailer with microfiber towels.

They key to the leaf blower is to make sure you have a nice coat of Sealant on your car and the water just falls off.  I use Meguirs Sealant 2.0

what kind of drying do you guys do after washes? thinking about picking up a cheap leaf blower to help the process go a bit quicker.
I use a water blade (this one, I think), which works well on boxier vehicles. My car is pretty curvy, but I still use it for the windshield, hood, rear window and roof and it cuts down drying time pretty significantly. To dry the remaining wet parts I either use a chamois or a microfiber towel. I've tried my leafblower but I feel like it takes longer since you spend a lot of time just pushing water around.

I use a water blade (this one, I think), which works well on boxier vehicles. My car is pretty curvy, but I still use it for the windshield, hood, rear window and roof and it cuts down drying time pretty significantly. To dry the remaining wet parts I either use a chamois or a microfiber towel. I've tried my leafblower but I feel like it takes longer since you spend a lot of time just pushing water around.
Personally, I wouldn't use those types of blade products because you could be more precise with a cloth if you see some dirt on the paint. All it takes is a little grit to get between the blade and the car to give you a bad day. Heck, I don't even use ice-scrapers on glass! :D

Personally, I wouldn't use those types of blade products because you could be more precise with a cloth if you see some dirt on the paint. All it takes is a little grit to get between the blade and the car to give you a bad day. Heck, I don't even use ice-scrapers on glass! :D
Yeah, I scratched my wife's old Jetta using it. I just use it for glass to get rid of the dew now.

Hey there - so I'm not much of a car guy but figured I might ask here since there is a thread. My wife's 04 accord (appx. 110k miles) was rear ended while sitting at a stop light last week and now has been deemed totaled. We were not planning on buying a new car for a long while. We are actually in between houses. We just sold ours last week (yeah it was a busy week...) and haven't found one we like so we are in an apartment. That's what where we were planning on putting our money - not a new car! But such is life.

My wife is interested in an Acura TSX wagon. She thinks it would be somewhat similar/familiar to her old accord and she has brand loyalty and all. She is looking at 2012-ish models and wants the tech package and below 40k mileage. There just aren't many around. Closest ones are in Atlanta area about 3 hours away. Which is fine. I just wanted to ask if any of you have opinions on this wagon or Acura in general.

The reason she wants a wagon is for extra storage/hauling. We have two small kids. I had a 97 Volvo 850 wagon for 11 years and it was a good wagon but I'm just not sure about Volvo anymore. But that's the reason she wants a wagon - because we had one and really liked the size of it. We aren't familiar with Subaru but they seem to get good reviews. We have one friend who's outback exploded while sitting parked so that's kinda freaky. And one friend who has a forester and really likes it.

I've tried to discuss SUVs with her but she isn't interested. She wants a car-like experience.

Just for extra info - I have a 05 tacoma access cab - base model with only 25k miles on it ;)

Hey there - so I'm not much of a car guy but figured I might ask here since there is a thread. My wife's 04 accord (appx. 110k miles) was rear ended while sitting at a stop light last week and now has been deemed totaled. We were not planning on buying a new car for a long while. We are actually in between houses. We just sold ours last week (yeah it was a busy week...) and haven't found one we like so we are in an apartment. That's what where we were planning on putting our money - not a new car! But such is life.

My wife is interested in an Acura TSX wagon. She thinks it would be somewhat similar/familiar to her old accord and she has brand loyalty and all. She is looking at 2012-ish models and wants the tech package and below 40k mileage. There just aren't many around. Closest ones are in Atlanta area about 3 hours away. Which is fine. I just wanted to ask if any of you have opinions on this wagon or Acura in general.

The reason she wants a wagon is for extra storage/hauling. We have two small kids. I had a 97 Volvo 850 wagon for 11 years and it was a good wagon but I'm just not sure about Volvo anymore. But that's the reason she wants a wagon - because we had one and really liked the size of it. We aren't familiar with Subaru but they seem to get good reviews. We have one friend who's outback exploded while sitting parked so that's kinda freaky. And one friend who has a forester and really likes it.

I've tried to discuss SUVs with her but she isn't interested. She wants a car-like experience.

Just for extra info - I have a 05 tacoma access cab - base model with only 25k miles on it ;)
Personally, I'm a Honda fanboy at heart and you can't go wrong with the reliability of a Honda or Toyota. The TSX wagon is a good car and I've been thinking about getting one as well, but the Mrs doesn't like the way it looks(I'm not the biggest fan either), so I had to eliminate it. Kudos on her wanting a car-like experience though. We need more of those types of people in the world to get those SUV/CUV monstrosities off the road...haha.

From what I remember of my drives in the 2nd gen TSX, it drives very competently and handles pretty decently compared to the RSX, which I had at the time. The pre-beak TL on the otherhand, pitched and rolled like the last gen Camry. I haven't driven a pre-2015 ILX, but for the money, you're better off in a similarly equipped Civic. For the 2016 ILX, you're pretty much at the Civic SI trim with leather seats and an auto tranny. The TLX? I REALLY like the TLX. Compared to my BRZ(I love this car), it's comfy as hell, handles great for such a big car, and almost too quiet. The reasons why I didn't buy one is because the tranny and electric parking brake has some pretty bad issues. Hopefully they'll be sorted out the next model year.

Acura, like any brand, can be hit or miss when it comes to the dealership experience. You can walk into a Toyota dealership and be treated like a king just like you can go into a Lexus dealer and be treated like a chump.

Subaru's aren't terrible cars and the Forrester handles surprisingly well. The 2015 WRX and 2015 Legacy are 7th and 5th safest cars on the road too due to reinforcement for small offset collisions.

If you've never had leather seats before, it will absolutely burn the shit out of you in the summer, which is something to think about with the kids. I'm sure you have them in convertables, so use some seat protectors and tint the windows(it's better for the leather anyways and it'll keep the car cooler). I'm pretty sure that Acura only uses perforated leather in their cars and that'll help with swamp ass.

inb4 Zoglog chimes in and tells you to join the wagon club :lol:

Just to follow up - we have (re)joined the wagon club! My wife was pretty set on the tsx wagon so she found one just north of ATL she liked (I think there were only like 3 or so in GA and only one here in AL waayy far south of us) and worked the deal over the phone last week and she picked it up Saturday. 2012 with tech package and 23k miles. Already had the oem roof rack and window tinting when purchased.

She's super happy with it. I've only ridden around the block twice but it seems nice. Popped in the Beatles DVD-Audio disc so that was cool! This year they started not putting in a spare and just a fix-a-flat/inflator combo so I'm looking in to finding a compatible donut or possible full size to put in there (I've read a full size will fit but I'm a bit skeptical.) Still has the lug to attach the donut but they put a different "storage" compartment there that will have to be removed. The whole kit and caboodle from Acura to set it up with the spare/donut compartment is nearly 1k! I'd just feel more comfortable with a spare in there.

Here's a quick snap from my phone.

[attachment=13542:IMG_0886.JPG]

Good looking wagon!

I was at a cruise night this past week and was handed a flyer for a an upcoming show and the guy told me my car was on their site. Sure enough, there it was! Guess they got a pic at a previous cruise night.

http://www.marcmillerbuickgmc.com/BYR

bread's done
Back