CAG Fast Food/Restaurant Foodies Thread

Found out they had a Wingstop in the area and tried them out on Monday. Not too bad. I like how they have different sauces for the boneless wings at no extra charge.

Places I'd like to try this year: Red Robin, Sonic, Jimmy Johns, Chipotle, and Panera Bread.

Never heard of Jack's but Tombstone is pretty standard fare.

Haven't been to Panera Bread in years. They got rid of the only sandwich I ever ate (the chicken and bacon sandwich). Even then, whenever they toasted the sandwich the outside was scalding hot and the middle ice cold.

Never had Jacks. Tombstone is fine, but the best frozen pizza IMO is Freshetta - particularly the pepperoni pizza.
Without question, hands down. They used to sell a sauce stuffed crust pizza the was my favorite thing ever. Then of course they stopped making it, like most products that I enjoy and buy.

Palermo's has really good frozen pizza, much better than the other competitors.  Though, the thick crust is better than the thin crust.  Sadly, no local places sell the thick crust any more.

For anyone who likes Pizza Hut, sign up for their Hut Lovers newsletter and you get 50% off medium or large pizzas on online orders this month.

And yes, that includes Stuffed Crust.

A Culvers is being built nearby, bad news for my self control.

Jimmy John's night club is pretty good, much better than Subway or Quizznos.

For wings BW3 is the best available around here, not many places around here even offer them.

Used to be many independent places including BBQ but most of them have disappeared. 

This city used to have the most restaurants per capita in the US, unfortunately most are chains.

I have not had Five Guys or In and Out, but I did have Smashburger a while ago. I thought it was good. Seemed pretty good quality compared to your typical fast food joint. 

SmashBurger is the GameStop of fast food. Or at least I think that every time I see their sign.

Subs:

I'll also chime in for some Jimmy Johns love. The Ultimate Porker is my choice of sandwhich there. The Beach Club with the gauc is good too. Quiznos has gone to shit so I prefer Subway over them now. Also Publix makes a damn fine sub and always gives you a shit ton of meat. But my favorite is the meatball sub from Firehouse Subs. I'm a meatball sub connoisseur and I have to admit I have not had a better one locally. I usually order it sweet and spicy.

firehouse_subs_-_meatball_med.jpeg

Burgers:

As the 3 big chains go Wendys has the tastiest burger hands down, but probably the worst fries. I haven't had a decent burger from Checkers in a while so I stopped going there. I have been going to Red Robin more recently. The Royal Robbin is awesome and my daughter gets endless mac n' cheese so we're both happy. Five Guys tends to get some hate but I don't get it, I love them. I usualy make it spicy with hot sauce, jalapenos and grilled onions. Their relish is awesome on their burgers too. Sadly no In n' Out or Jack in the Box down here. I went to a new place down here called Burger Fi and ordered a breakfast burger. Really good but kinda pricey. 2 burgers, 1 hot dog, a basket of fries and 1 beer was $26, yikes. Another place called Smashburger is pretty good too. Their Miami Burger is served on a cuban bun with chorizo. Tasty

c460x279.jpg

Tacos:

Tijana Flats is awesome, in fact I'm going tomorrow for Taco Tuesday. $5 gets you 2 tacos, chips and a drink. The chimigangas are boss as well.

tijuana-flats.jpg

Pizza:

Pizza Hut isn't bad, but not my favorite. I pick up pizzas from them often because they're close and cheap. I used to love Papa Johns when I was a kid but I've grown to dislike their pizzas recently. We had a Papa Johns pizza party at work not to long ago and I got stuck with a BBQ chicken pizza. fuckin' yuck. But if I want a decent simple pizza and don't mind laying down some cash the local mom n' pops are the best. A place down here called Steve's Pizza near the FIU campus is my favorite. The sauce is homemade and kinda sweet, I love it.

Costco has the best pizza. Great price too.

Wendy's old fries were boring, but their newer fries are pretty decent. Not quite Checkers Baconzilla Fries, but still decent.

I think Five Guys gets crap because of how expensive it is. If it were $2 cheaper, people wouldn't mind as much. At least they got rid of their grilled cheese.

You know, I've actually had Costco pizza and was pretty shocked how good it was. I live in CT, so between pizza places here and in NY, we are spoiled and all the chain pizza places suck compared to the other options. But yeah, Costco shocked me.

One of the best local places is Greeks Pizza.  The Greek's Special is a work of art, plenty of toppings with a perfect crust.  If you stop in expect to spend some money, you pay for the better quality.

Another regional place is Pizza King, pretty good but pricey.  Completely different style than Greeks but good in it's own right.

You know, I've actually had Costco pizza and was pretty shocked how good it was. I live in CT, so between pizza places here and in NY, we are spoiled and all the chain pizza places suck compared to the other options. But yeah, Costco shocked me.
Costco has good food overall. Their chicken bakes are delicious and while the hot dogs are no Nathan's, they are still good and $1.50 for that and a drink is a great deal. And their ice cream is just awesome.

I've heard from several people that Costco's rotisserie chicken is the best. Always wanted to try it.

Anyone ever been to BJ's Brewhouse Resturant? I love that place. They make an awesome ribeye and I love ribeye. Better than most steakhouses I've been up to. And not too expensive at $15. I've ordered it several times and it's always cooked perfectly medium rare. BJ's does have a big menu much like a Cheesecake Factory but they specialize in deep dish pizzas. Also they brew their own beer on site. My favorite is the Harvest Hefeweizen. Heck, thinking about it I have tomorrow off so I might just go.

BJ's is alright for being a better version of Cheesecake Factory. Though I will say that their Hopstorm Juniper Ipa India Pale Ale is amazing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan of having an IPA with meals. For me they just don't go well with food. If I'm eating I'd prefer a lager or wheat ale. It's just easier to go down. With that said I love Juniper IPAs for chilling on my balcony on a hot day.

I've heard from several people that Costco's rotisserie chicken is the best. Always wanted to try it.
Never had their rotisseire but their chicken Alfredo is good. The tub is freaking huge though. Don't get it if you're single.

I love the BBQ Ranch burgers. Really good. I've yet to try the $2 sandwiches. Don't they just have bacon in addition?

Chik-a-fil-a just opened for the first time near me and it was good, but all it is is the southern McChicken at McDonalds. Too bad McDs doesn't have waffle fries.

Another real good place that's opening near me is Five Guys. Their little burgers are big enough and the combo of hot sauce/mustard is really good. They have the best fries, and they give you a ton of them!

Smash burgers logo looks too much like Gamestop.

Chik-a-fil-a just opened for the first time near me and it was good, but all it is is the southern McChicken at McDonalds. Too bad McDs doesn't have waffle fries.
Chik-fil-a is the reason the Southern Style sandwich exists.

I am not a big fan of Chik-fil-a's sandwiches, but their mikshakes are decent.

My former manager used to push customer service by relaying a story about CFA. He always goes to them instead of Wendy's because Wendy's customer service is nowhere near as good. I always respond by basically saying "Wendy's Spicy Chicken > Everything Else." Their shakes are better too.

I like Chick-Fil-A (or Jesus Chicken as I call it). They used to sell a chicken salad sandwhich that was pressed like a grilled chesse. It was the cheapest thing on the menu at $2 and it provided as my meal while working in a mall during high school. I used to dip it in their bbq sauce. They since got rid of the pressed look, added lettuce on wheat then charging $5 for it essentially ruining what it was. But I'll never forget the taste.

But their normal chicken sandwhiches are tasty. Just spread on some "Chick-Fil-A Sauce" and it's magical. My wife loves the milkshakes.

I hate Coldstone.

Their plain vanilla ice cream sucks. I hate putting all that shit toppings in my ice cream.

Their ice cream is not palatable without all those nasty toppings in my opinion.

I guess I'm weird though. I hate all ice cream except plain vanilla or maybe chocolate. Anything else is gross. 

I love Coldtone's Strawberry Banana Rendezvous. Strawberry ice cream, white chocolate chips, Graham cracker crumbles, strawberries, and bananas. Delicious.

The Oreo Overload is good too, especially with the Oreo Cream Filling ice cream.

Helps that Costco has $40 in Cold stone gift cards for $28.

Your wife needs to go to Sonic. Or Coldstone.
Their really aren't any Sonic's down here in South Florida, but when we visit my folks there's one by them. We've been several times. I like making my own soda. I really wish a Sonic was close by.

If we want something sweet we normally go to Yogurt Land close by. They have seasonal flavors so there's always something new and diffrent.

Sonics food is terrible. But their ice cream and drinks are great. I can't see it working in the north where it gets below zero, but somehow they make it work. One in Cambridge, MN closed. There's one in Elk River, but I don't get out there that much.

Wendys are the best burgers hands down. Five Guys are good as well, but a little much for fast food. Plus, sometimes a double just isn't enough.

There's a local place called Little Big Burger about two blocks from my work. I go there once a week.  Great fries cooked in truffle oil. http://littlebigburger.com

I perfer to eat locally when I can.

Decided to have a quick dinner tonight so I stopped by Rally's to get a Philly and bacon combo, unfortunately they no longer have them.  Instead I end up with a Bacon Roadhouse.  How the hell do they get away with selling those damn things?

Bacon Roadhouse is the one with the onion rings and BBQ, right?

I miss Checkers' sourdough burgers and chicken sandwiches. They were good.

Bacon Roadhouse is the one with the onion rings and BBQ, right?

I miss Checkers' sourdough burgers and chicken sandwiches. They were good.
Yes, except this one was squishy and had very little flavor. On top of that it cost just over $8, when they handed over the tiny bag I was thinking "ok the fries are in here, where is my sandwich?". Nope, the large fries and sandwich were in the tiny bag. They then proceed to hand me a drink that would never fit in any cup holder. Ever.

For eight bucks at a fast food joint I guess I was expecting something a little larger and more flavorful than what I received.

I love Checkers drinks. Other restaurants always gove you these dinky things while Checkers' medium is as big as others' Larges.

Because they use foil wrappers, Checkers sandwiches do get soggy, but they are still decent. They do have good bacon cheese fries and their chicken tenders are good too.

Yes, except this one was squishy and had very little flavor. On top of that it cost just over $8, when they handed over the tiny bag I was thinking "ok the fries are in here, where is my sandwich?". Nope, the large fries and sandwich were in the tiny bag. They then proceed to hand me a drink that would never fit in any cup holder. Ever.

For eight bucks at a fast food joint I guess I was expecting something a little larger and more flavorful than what I received.
Squishy and little flavor, sounds just like the double melt I had earlier =/. Oh well, I just went mainly for the fries. The small I ordered was basically a medium. :shock:

You know what I miss? Wendy's Fried Chicken. It was actually pretty good and had some neat commercials.

I also remember when ESPN Zone first opened, their food was huge. Ordered the cheese fries as an appetizer and they brought out, like, 2 pounds of fries taking a bath in melted cheese. Their hot dog was also huge. Bigger than the bun with lots of cheese. I went back a few years later and the cheese fries were just a handful of shoestring fries with a little bit of half-melted shredded cheese on it.

I miss Hot Dog Nuggets. I remember going to Mcdonald's when I was a kid and getting them over hamburgers. When they stopped carrying them, I went to Nathan's at the mall. Now it's like all of the Nathan's Famous booths are closed and they can't be found in South Florida anymore.

Is there anything at Jimmy Johns that is like the Subway club (turkey,ham,roast beef)? That meatbal sub Rodimus posted looks pretty good. 

^ Jimmy Johns has something similar. I think it's called the Gargantuan. It pretty much has every meat on the menu in it.

I try to avoid fast food if I can but have a huge weakness for Sheetz. I get 8 cents off a gallon there for gas so it's almost always my stop for that and it's one of the few places open 24/7 so I tend to go there for lunch (work overnight) sometimes. Love their jalapeno poppers and grilled chicken wraps. Pretty much anything on their menu is good in my opinion.

Had a conversation with an employee today about fast food and Hardees was mentioned. I'd love to go to one again as I haven't ate there since the late 90s when we used to have on here. It's long gone and the nearest one is an hour away I recently discovered (thought they were gone everywhere don't see them anywhere). It was likely ungodly bad for you but my favorite thing was the "Six Dollar Burger". I would just order that and a drink, eat half or less of it and take the rest home.

We have 2 Hardees relatively nearby, but, like Sonic, they are the only thing in that area for me to go to so I don't eat there often. I do like their chicken tender sandwiches though.

My uncle's McDonalds a long time ago used to be one of the main "testing" areas. They had hot dogs, pizza, and chicken wings (over a decade before the Mighty Wings) and they were all pretty decent.

I miss Hardees as well. (We have Carl's Jr here, which isnt the same thing)

My wife still gives me shit about when we went down South, stopped at a Hardees and I had the triple 1/3lb Thickburger.

Went to DQ Yesterday. (Which actually has pretty decent burgers.) Wanted the Mushroom & Swiss. Brought it home and it was just a regular grillburger. :sad:

I don't know if anyone else has heard of this chain place before, but I went to Brickhouse the other day and got some delicious Chicken and Waffles. It was $13, which I thought was a little expensive at first, but then they bring out this massive portion:

n3PptuR.jpg

I don't know if anyone else has heard of this chain place before, but I went to Brickhouse the other day and got some delicious Chicken and Waffles. It was $13, which I thought was a little expensive at first, but then they bring out this massive portion:

n3PptuR.jpg
:shock: That looks goooooood.

Chik-fil-a is the reason the Southern Style sandwich exists.

I am not a big fan of Chik-fil-a's sandwiches, but their mikshakes are decent.

My former manager used to push customer service by relaying a story about CFA. He always goes to them instead of Wendy's because Wendy's customer service is nowhere near as good. I always respond by basically saying "Wendy's Spicy Chicken > Everything Else." Their shakes are better too.
Agreed on the Southern Chicken Sandwich being a clone (and nowhere near as good as CFA)... CFA has been arounf for decades while the southern sandwich a few years

A friend and I shared the grilled stuft nacho from Taco Bell the other day. I don't understand why they bother putting in corn chip strips because it was so soggy. At least it was cheap for something on the go.

bread's done
Back