CAG Fighter Thread XXXIX - Fighters Reborn 08 Ultimate Match

I got to play a lot more brawl yesterday and it just seems so much more... boring.

The lack of dash dancing and wavedashing makes it so hard to move around, the lack of L-cancelling makes it hard to avoid getting shieldgrabbed unless you do some weird crossup stuff or know your range really well, and everyone's off-stage recovery seems so easy that edge guarding for kills doesn't really happen. Ledgehogging is nonexistent, so if you roll off the ledge people can grab it instantly... also, the range in which you grab the ledge seems to have increased.

It also doesn't seem like it's easy to force any deaths below 100%... everything I've seen is mostly conventional stuff.

[quote name='kainzero']I got to play a lot more brawl yesterday and it just seems so much more... boring.

The lack of dash dancing and wavedashing makes it so hard to move around, the lack of L-cancelling makes it hard to avoid getting shieldgrabbed unless you do some weird crossup stuff or know your range really well, and everyone's off-stage recovery seems so easy that edge guarding for kills doesn't really happen. Ledgehogging is nonexistent, so if you roll off the ledge people can grab it instantly... also, the range in which you grab the ledge seems to have increased.

It also doesn't seem like it's easy to force any deaths below 100%... everything I've seen is mostly conventional stuff.[/QUOTE]

Spiking under 100% still work good with certain characters?

oh no! Markman wonder twins!!!

250px-MorkMindy.jpg

it's Mark and Man-dy!!

nanoo nanoo~!!

Here's a new one for me... the other night I was accused of not being "the real" Busta Uppa. A message I got after some UMK3 matches: "ur not the real busta uppa u dont even know kombat kodes"

I got a good chuckle out of that one. All I can think of is that the guy must recognize my name from the ultimatemk.com forums or something.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Spiking under 100% still work good with certain characters?[/quote]
I think Samus still has hers, but I'm not too sure, I just remember connecting with it on top of a stage, but I don't remember the percentages... I spent most of time playing as Pit. Also played FFA with 4 players with items so I couldn't really test too many things out.

I doubt Falco has his, but his Dair attack still looks the same.

The one thing that I thought was cool is that it's a lot easier to L-recover off of walls.

I also remembered how awful some of the deaths were. I died several times despite not being completely off the screen, and had also had several kills bounce off the screen (a la Melee's Venom's stage).

Falco still has his down spike, I got hit by it the other day X_X

Certain chars can pull off semi infinites in certain stages, if the attacking character has a wall behind them and keeps forward smashing the opponent into a wall...

I can't wait for Spring Break. It starts the 5th and doesn't end till the 17th, and I plan on doing NOTHING but playing Brawl when that comes out. I'll probably do some classroom hours during the day but other than that, it's Brawl all day every day until I come back here and have to bust my ass again.

Edit: Thanks for the info Kain. Do you happen to know if C. Falcon's d+a in the air is still decent for spikes? I used to play mostly Samus but I've been digging Falcon lately and can't wait to try him out in Brawl.

This paper on the unmotivated Middle School Learning is killing me right now. I just wanna be sitting on the floor playing Devil May Cry 4 and I have to write this dumb ass shit.

Edit2: Kain Zero, what did your avatar used to be? I can't remember for the life of me, but I'm 99% sure it wasn't always that 8-bit character.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Edit: Thanks for the info Kain. Do you happen to know if C. Falcon's d+a in the air is still decent for spikes? I used to play mostly Samus but I've been digging Falcon lately and can't wait to try him out in Brawl.

Edit2: Kain Zero, what did your avatar used to be? I can't remember for the life of me, but I'm 99% sure it wasn't always that 8-bit character.[/quote]
I don't know much about that spike... I do know that his knee doesn't move him forward as much as it used to, and when it doesn't critical you will be punished like crazy.

You might like Samus though. In my limited experience she seems a lot stronger but a little bit slower. I had trouble using bombs to recover, because if you let go of a direction and press down+b you still drift in that direction... if that makes any sense. Other than that she plays like she used to. I didn't know how to turn into Zero Suit Samus though, aside from using a Final Smash which I didn't get.

IIRC, I didn't have an avatar...
I only chose this Deadly Towers guy because I think it's the worst game ever created, but normally I don't use one because I can never figure out which one to choose.

In honor of Smash Bros:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNvbPzSTpPI[/media]

[quote name='kainzero']I don't know much about that spike... I do know that his knee doesn't move him forward as much as it used to, and when it doesn't critical you will be punished like crazy.

You might like Samus though. In my limited experience she seems a lot stronger but a little bit slower. I had trouble using bombs to recover, because if you let go of a direction and press down+b you still drift in that direction... if that makes any sense. Other than that she plays like she used to. I didn't know how to turn into Zero Suit Samus though, aside from using a Final Smash which I didn't get.
[/QUOTE]

It was the one where he kicked both legs out. I guess I'll find out on the 9th. That totally sucks about the knee though, that's like 1/4 of my arsenal with C Falc.

Glad to hear about Samus, but more difficult bomb jumps might end up really sucking :(. I think I heard you press Up Down Up on the D-Pad to transform into ZSS. It might be Down Up Down. There's also a way to start the match as her I think.

Either way, I can't freakin wait.

If you hold the R button on GameCube or Classic Controller you'll start the match as ZSS.

The up, down, up or whatever thing on the dpad, I tried it countless times and couldn't get it to work... :/

[quote name='jimfoley16']It was the one where he kicked both legs out. I guess I'll find out on the 9th. That totally sucks about the knee though, that's like 1/4 of my arsenal with C Falc.

Glad to hear about Samus, but more difficult bomb jumps might end up really sucking :(. I think I heard you press Up Down Up on the D-Pad to transform into ZSS. It might be Down Up Down. There's also a way to start the match as her I think.

Either way, I can't freakin wait.[/quote]
Yeah I know about the spike in Melee but didn't see it get used much when I played Brawl =P

For some reason when I held down the R button I never turned into ZSS. I'd hold it down and then watch the match begin and my shield would be out, then it would break and I'd be like, where's my ZSS? One of the other guys I was playing with could do it though, I don't know why it wouldn't work for me. The updownup thing didn't work either. I dunno. Maybe she didn't like me.

Bomb jumping isn't that much of a problem because you float so much in the air and have excellent lateral movement, it's way easier to get back on the stage no matter which character you use. I used Pit and he has like, 3 jumps and a fly mode. I barely used the second jump if I got hit off stage. Even if you get hit while being edge guarded against, you get hit up more than you do out, so it actually helps you get back on the stage.

I'm still really skeptical of how it'll play out, but that's how I was when Melee came out. Of course, I did play as Kirby and Ness and they got beaten by the nerf stick so hard in Melee. And the changes to throws were crazy, you had really awful recovery and you couldn't throw as far as you used to! But I guess I did adjust... =)

In response to Kainzero's Falcon Punch music video, definatly watch at 1:14

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfrQC1tAt1Q[/media]

man Falco punch aint got shyt on Gigaton Punch...

gigaton punch aint even trying to battle you, u understand?!?!?!

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']In DMC4 Nero does Zangief's Final Atomic Buster against the Gold Alto Angelo. That made my day :D[/QUOTE]

Sounds sweet. I can't wait to see it.

The new Street Fighter movie's going to suck hard, but it's not like anyone was expecting anything great. Michael Clarke Duncan as Balrog? Chris Klein as Nash? I can't wait to see this movie crash n' burn.

So I hear SF IV will be a lil under $2,000...

Why the hell are the true 3D games so expensive! (Tekken, Virtua Fighter) !

In for 3... sheesh...

[quote name='Thomas96']you guys know of any arcades (or places) that will have tekken 6, and SF IV?[/quote]

Club Sega in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

Most people in the US won't see SF4 until it hits PS3 and 360. Arcades are scant here in illinois. The only arcade I know of is the bowling alley at UIC. They have XM vs SF and DDR.

The only "arcade" I've been to lately is the laundromat. It has SF2 CE and Pac Man/Galaga. I'd drop a quarter into SF2 CE while I waited. Now, it's gone. My house is the only arcade I go to.

My laundromat is an arcade... if you count my DS Lite as an arcade :whistle2:(

I gotta drive to New Jersey to get to a good arcade. But at least it's a real super awesome arcade (8 On The Break) that also happens to have the best cheese steaks I've ever tasted!

oh and btw I don't count Dave & Busters as a real arcade... too bad cuz I've got a few of those near me!

I didn't realize there are so many fighter thread CAGs from Illinois. I know Chacrana is from Naperville, where is everyone else from? I live down in Champaign.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I didn't realize there are so many fighter thread CAGs from Illinois. I know Chacrana is from Naperville, where is everyone else from? I live down in Champaign.[/QUOTE]

Hicksville isn't the real name of where I currently reside, Monroe Center, but it might as well be. It's a small town of about 500. I live about 20 minutes south of Rockford, which is as close as you'd want to be to that slum. I've been down to Champaign a few times with my friend. We talk about moving down there because the music scene here is dead.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Hicksville isn't the real name of where I currently reside, Monroe Center, but it might as well be. It's a small town of about 500. I live about 20 minutes south of Rockford, which is as close as you'd want to be to that slum. I've been down to Champaign a few times with my friend. We talk about moving down there because the music scene here is dead.[/quote]
This post cracks me up because not only do I have all of my dad's side of the family living in Rockford, but my cousin plays in a band there. :D

[quote name='mrchainsaw']This post cracks me up because not only do I have all of my dad's side of the family living in Rockford, but my cousin plays in a band there. :D[/QUOTE]

LOL, I didn't mean to offend you, if I did. What band does your cousin play in?

[quote name='hankmecrankme']LOL, I didn't mean to offend you, if I did. What band does your cousin play in?[/quote]
Oh no, none taken. I like my family there but I'm indifferent as far as Rockford goes. As for my cousin, I'm not sure what band he's currently in. He plays music similar to stuff by the Get Up Kids and Braid though so that could narrow it down a little.

Enough about that, I've been wanting to pick up VF 5 for the 360 for a while now but I know it will keep dropping in price. I also will need to get XBL Gold when I pick it up. So much money...

So I just played Arcana Heart...really Capcom? REALLY?

for kicks, I checked out the gamefaqs board for the game---props to cag's own DarksideHazuki for good trollin' :lol:

I'd like to share the Tekken 6 combo video included in Enterbrain's Tougeki Damashi Vol. 8...

PART I
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=VYDxg4gQQ9Q[/media]

PART II
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7JZTmyBeRYg[/media]

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I didn't realize there are so many fighter thread CAGs from Illinois. I know Chacrana is from Naperville, where is everyone else from? I live down in Champaign.[/QUOTE]

Chicago, downtown loop and oak park

[quote name='Apossum']So I just played Arcana Heart...really Capcom? REALLY?

for kicks, I checked out the gamefaqs board for the game---props to cag's own DarksideHazuki for good trollin' :lol:[/QUOTE]

Capcom?

[quote name='asianxcore']Capcom?[/QUOTE]

You know, Capcom....as in Atlus.

in any case, they're going to sell like 5 copies of this game.

[quote name='Apossum']You know, Capcom....as in Atlus.

in any case, they're going to sell like 5 copies of this game.[/quote]
What're you talking about?

You telling me you don't like a really slow fighting game with 30 hit combos that do almost no damage?!?

No way!

[quote name='kainzero']What're you talking about?

You telling me you don't like a really slow fighting game with 30 hit combos that do almost no damage?!?

No way![/QUOTE]

and on top of that, an uninteresting cast of lolis/teen girls. the game is going to get eaten alive.

well, Melty Blood had the same cast, but it had the gameplay to back it up!

[quote name='jimfoley16']I'd buy Arcana Heart if it was 15 dollars.[/QUOTE]

same here. If melty blood taught me anything, I have a hard time playing a game where the entire cast is female. at least throw me a hermaphrodite or something.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']same here. If melty blood taught me anything, I have a hard time playing a game where the entire cast is female. at least throw me a hermaphrodite or something.[/quote]

That's why I've never been a huge fan. MB plays fine, but appeals to the anime nerd that's obsessed with French Maids & school girls. Chacrana's perfect game.

bread's done
Back