CAG FIGHTING GAME THREAD Vol. 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rodimus Donut']When I played most the people online weren't very good. And I was using a character I never used before, Brad Wong. I went back and got DOA 3, but didn't like him that much. In DOA4 he's a much better character. They added alot of moves for him and he was alot of fun to use.

Do you think there's alot of variety with fighting styles in the game?[/QUOTE]

Brad can confuse the hell out of your average doa online player. :lol: he's pretty cool in 4, but I think he's generally considered mid to low tier (maybe that has changed since the update.) yeah, there are lots of people who don't really know how to play fighters in doa online. the game sells a ton in the non-fighter fan crowd, so there's always that element.

the move sets and styles affect the use of a character a lot more in 4. In three, all in all, it was much easier to win if you just knew about the general fighting system. They really changed up a lot of characters to make it harder to button mash and get lucky. a lot more moves are "situation specific" rather than all purpose (though there are still more all purpose moves in the game than I care for.)

[quote name='evanft']Is anyone else hoping against hope that a world tour mode is included in the U.S. version of Alpha Collection?

Hopefully they'll do it for an Xbox verison with online play.[/QUOTE]
I hope it is. But it won't be. I can see a Xbox version coming out with online play but probably no Worl Tour Mode.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I thought Apossum saif their was a World Tour Mode.[/QUOTE]

he linked us to an article by ign which stated that there was a world tour mode. he later posted a correction to that article shortly thereafter.

any word yet on how to unlock/use the hidden -isms in hyper street fighter zero ?

[quote name='gigan54']he linked us to an article by gamespot which stated that there was a world tour mode. he later posted a correction to that article shortly thereafter.

any word yet on how to unlock/use the hidden -isms in hyper street fighter zero ?[/QUOTE]
Corrected - it was gamespot.

As for isms: here

Apossum you got doa4? I'm going to add you to my flist, I just got the game, I hope everyone online isn't too beastly since I'm complete noob. Also congrats to Relentless for being linked in Kotaku. Good article, good read

OFF TOPIC: Just saw X-Men 3. I won't spoil anything, but coming from a comic book dude, I hated it. What a fucking awful movie.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']OFF TOPIC: Just saw X-Men 3. I won't spoil anything, but coming from a comic book dude, I hated it. What a fucking awful movie.[/QUOTE]

i've been trying to avoid reviews on this thing, but i guess they're inevitable. sucks to hear that it sucks.. i'm a comic book aficionado too, so i hope it doesn't double suck for me as well. seems like the x-men franchise is being beaten to a pulp lately.. crappy games, crappy xmen evolution cartoon, and even though they're big sellers, some of the current xmen comics are utter garbage.

i'd be happy if marvel gave the license back to capcom. but then again, they probably wouldn't do any new fighting games with it anyway.

on the upside.. i hear "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!" is in the movie. that alone will make my day.

and i'm still waiting on my zero generations import. i've been dreaming about the new isms, and i seriously can't wait to be all over this thing. damns you mailmen, HURRY

*spoilers*
saw x-men 3 as well... it was so so. The only part that made me happy was how no one cared what happened to cyclops but everyone got sad over xavier...

So anyone know if PS2 import games will work on a US PS3? if so, it may b a great way to stock up on some japense only fighters... if I can afford a PS3 >_

[quote name='PhrostByte']I always wanted to see DC vs. Marvel... I'd even settle for DC vs. Capcom.[/quote]

That would be so awesome, but of course capcom wouldn't do it. They're too interesting in making shitty megaman games and 3D games.

[quote name='apokalipze2']Apossum you got doa4? I'm going to add you to my flist, I just got the game, I hope everyone online isn't too beastly since I'm complete noob. Also congrats to Relentless for being linked in Kotaku. Good article, good read[/QUOTE]

Sounds good man :) I may not be online for a few days, as things are pretty busy around here (and I have to get all the unlockables all over again.) there are plenty of beginners on line. if anything, it's harder to get to the tougher players, since they usually have private rooms.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I like the new "Final Fight" improved style Apossum [/quote]

Thanks. I think my favorite scene in any game is the one in my sig :lol:

I played DOA4 with a friend last night, practicing for the EVO WEST qualifier...

I got owned 35-1.

:thumbsup:

I haven't played the game since the first week it came out haha.

Too much Tekken. :)

Anyone know if SF Zero Generations is a disc or DVD? I wanna import but my ps2 is a bitch w/ CD based games.

Also, haven't been on for like 12 days, was in vacation in Montreal. Glad to see everyone is still alive and kicking.

[quote name='MarkMan']I played DOA4 with a friend last night, practicing for the EVO WEST qualifier...

I got owned 35-1.

Too much Tekken. :)[/quote]

Speaking of DOA, I was getting back into DOAU on Live after a few months of not playing, and I completly embarassed myself. I wasn't even competitive. I'm only an average player but I shamed my family with my performance. :cry:

[quote name='jimfoley16']Anyone know if SF Zero Generations is a disc or DVD? I wanna import but my ps2 is a bitch w/ CD based games.

Also, haven't been on for like 12 days, was in vacation in Montreal. Glad to see everyone is still alive and kicking.[/QUOTE]
I will be able to let you knwo in the next few days. I still havenet recevied my copy. I dont know whats taking so long.

Referring to previous posts, I LOVED X3. There was some badly written dialogue, but overall it was a good movie with a solid plot.

And when Juggernaut said his line...the entire audience burst out in laughter and appluase.

Actually the first time he appeared on the screen, someone in the back shouted "OH MA GAWD ITS DA JUGGA-NAUT!". :lol:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Speaking of DOA, I was getting back into DOAU on Live after a few months of not playing, and I completly embarassed myself. I wasn't even competitive. I'm only an average player but I shamed my family with my performance. :cry:[/QUOTE]

kutaragi_ken.jpg

"Bow your head in shame."

;-) I just like that kutaragi pic....he looks like he's about to make someone commit seppuku for saying the PS3 costs too much.

[quote name='Apossum']
kutaragi_ken.jpg

;-) I just like that kutaragi pic....he looks like he's about to make someone commit seppuku for saying the PS3 costs too much.[/quote]

:lol: He looks VERY serious indeed!

[quote name='Apossum']
kutaragi_ken.jpg

;-) I just like that kutaragi pic....he looks like he's about to make someone commit seppuku for saying the PS3 costs too much.[/QUOTE]

he reminds me of Geese. i can practically hear him say, "You can't esace rong death!"

maybe i should mspaint him into geese or something. I'll give it a try and post the results (I can gaurantee you it will suck though)

[quote name='gigan54']he reminds me of Geese. i can practically hear him say, "You can't esace rong death!"

maybe i should mspaint him into geese or something. I'll give it a try and post the results (I can gaurantee you it will suck though)[/quote]

gees4hx.jpg

[quote name='MarkMan']I played DOA4 with a friend last night, practicing for the EVO WEST qualifier...

I got owned 35-1.

Too much Tekken. :)[/QUOTE]

I've realized that Tekken players usually get owned in DoA for some odd reason. Maybe they loose since there isn't too much complexity ;)

In DoAU a while back, my score looked the same. My freind, a die hard DoA fan, beat teh snot out of me about 38-2

I remember that show. it was pretty good from what I remember. I recall the final episode ending in less than half an hour and haveing 40 minutes of pure commercials. wasn't Jade a recurring character in this as well? I remember seeing some chick in green an awful lot.

edit: 2poor's rendition is awesome. mine blows

YOU CAN"T ESCAPE RONG DEATH!!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I've realized that Tekken players usually get owned in DoA for some odd reason. Maybe they loose since there isn't too much complexity ;)[/quote]

it's probably because we dash too much and forget about the lack of cancelling =P

[quote name='kainzero']it's probably because we dash too much and forget about the lack of cancelling =P[/QUOTE]

Actually you're probably right. Plus, the use of only 3 buttons dosnt help.

[quote name='gigan54']I remember that show. it was pretty good from what I remember. I recall the final episode ending in less than half an hour and haveing 40 minutes of pure commercials. wasn't Jade a recurring character in this as well? I remember seeing some chick in green an awful lot.

edit: 2poor's rendition is awesome. mine blows

YOU CAN"T ESCAPE RONG DEATH!![/QUOTE]

Just combine the two and it's perfect.

I always thought he said, "You can't escape rum death" and " I'll stay my friend, with your broom."

It's not that, I don't know how to use my char anymore because the last time I played was the DOA4.0 patch instead of the new 4.1.

Damn my char sucks now. :(

Gotta relearn stuff. :)

Some of the top DOA players are actually Tekken players. :)

Why the hell isn't the World Tour mode of Alpha 3 going to be inluded in Street Fighter Alpha Anthology? Well, I'm happy I still have my great DC version on hand...

Unless an Xbox-Live enabled version of Alpha Anthology comes out I'm gonna skip it. I didnt enjoy Alpha 1 anyway, I already have Alpha 3 and $30 isn't worth it for the other two games (I'll just pick up Alpha 2 seperately sometime).

[quote name='Rozz']Why the hell isn't the World Tour mode of Alpha 3 going to be inluded in Street Fighter Alpha Anthology? Well, I'm happy I still have my great DC version on hand...

Unless an Xbox-Live enabled version of Alpha Anthology comes out I'm gonna skip it. I didnt enjoy Alpha 1 anyway, I already have Alpha 3 and $30 isn't worth it for the other two games (I'll just pick up Alpha 2 seperately sometime).[/QUOTE]

Because it's the Arcade version of Alpha 3. The reason people are excited about this collection is (among other things) the first time ports of the alpha games will be arcade perfect.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Because it's the Arcade version of Alpha 3. The reason people are excited about this collection is (among other things) the first time ports of the alpha games will be arcade perfect.[/QUOTE]

But there will be elements in Alpha 3 that aren't in the arcade version. I think it's just cause they're lazy.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']But there will be elements in Alpha 3 that aren't in the arcade version. I think it's just cause they're lazy.[/QUOTE]

If what I've heard is true, there is a version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 that runs on a Naomi based hardware and features Yun, Eagle and Maki. I heard this is the version that SFAA is going to port.

[quote name='jimfoley16']If what I've heard is true, there is a version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 that runs on a Naomi based hardware and features Yun, Eagle and Maki. I heard this is the version that SFAA is going to port.[/QUOTE]

I hope what you heard is right. But I've heard so much stuff it's hard to tell what's gonna be in it.

What's the next collection gonna be? We should make bets. I would like to see capcom fighting collection that had a mix of odd-ball games like Cyberbots, Red Earth, Plasma Sword, Tech Romancer and Rival Schools. Did I miss anything.

They should've added Street Fighter: The Movie in the Alpha collection, just for kicks.

[quote name='jimfoley16']If what I've heard is true, there is a version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 that runs on a Naomi based hardware and features Yun, Eagle and Maki. I heard this is the version that SFAA is going to port.[/QUOTE]
Where did you hear this?

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']
They should've added Street Fighter: The Movie in the Alpha collection, just for kicks.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it's also probably the only time that game could ever get resurrected. If anyone finds combo videos for Street Fighter: The Movie game, plz post them.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']yeah, it's also probably the only time that game could ever get resurrected. If anyone finds combo videos for Street Fighter: The Movie game, plz post them.[/QUOTE]

juggles ftw

there are no doa 4 vids on youtube, besides "here's an ending with a linkin park song mixed in" vids. :whistle2:(

Just got back from the ECC, holy crap. It was a madhouse in there! Great casual UMK3 matches all day, and I won far more than I did last time. Best I did was a 6-win streak right before the tournement started.

I had a decent showing in the tourney itself... losing the first round, winning 3-2 in the losers bracket, 3-0 in the next match, and finally losing 0-3 in the next. I'm just stoked that I got 6 wins on tape this time around. Oh and our little MK crew has some good pull with the staff at The Break, so we got the machine on Free Play again (lol, even in the arcade I can CAG it up). :D

Once again, the absolute most hysterical crowd was around the MvC2 machine. CvS2 on the other hand seemed to be the most played, with several arcade units and at least 5 PS2s dedicated to it.

:lol: @ the Kutaragi photoshops.

[quote name='kainzero']it's probably because we dash too much and forget about the lack of cancelling =P [/quote]

that's bothering the hell out of me. I also hate how you can't cancel the charge moves >_< it seems so obvious to include that, it would make the game much more fun.

after playing tekken and other fighters for the past 6 months, I see why people don't like DoA. though there's a lot of depth to it and it is well-balanced...it really isn't a "fighter" with a ton of stuff to learn...you don't have to plan out each and every single move like you do in other games (though it helps a lot.) it's a doa game, just like Itagaki says ;) high level play is a smaller window for the game (if that makes any sense)

more of an action/arcade feel, since it has less rules and technical strats (aside from fake outs, safe hits, side steps, free throws etc.) it's more about knowing how to put the right pressure on the guy with moves, since it's so fast...which makes it feel like Ninja Gaiden. I also love it for those same reasons :)

[quote name='Markman']It's not that, I don't know how to use my char anymore because the last time I played was the DOA4.0 patch instead of the new 4.1.

Damn my char sucks now. :(

Gotta relearn stuff.

Some of the top DOA players are actually Tekken players. [/quote]

Tom Brady (the head DoA guru, i guess) quit doa to play T5 for a while. Who do you use?

Let me know how the tournament goes, I'd like to know how people play this offline. :)

[quote name='Apossum'] that's bothering the hell out of me. I also hate how you can't cancel the charge moves >_< it seems so obvious to include that, it would make the game much more fun.

after playing tekken and other fighters for the past 6 months, I see why people don't like DoA. though there's a lot of depth to it and it is well-balanced...it really isn't a "fighter" with a ton of stuff to learn...you don't have to plan out each and every single move like you do in other games (though it helps a lot.) it's a doa game, just like Itagaki says ;) high level play is a smaller window for the game (if that makes any sense)

more of an action/arcade feel, since it has less rules and technical strats (aside from fake outs, safe hits, side steps, free throws etc.) it's more about knowing how to put the right pressure on the guy with moves, since it's so fast...which makes it feel like Ninja Gaiden. I also love it for those same reasons :) [/quote] i dunno, i don't think it's that bad. just the community that bothers me tons.

depth is such a hard-to-define concept. i mean, talk to anyone good about sf2 and they'll you about how deep it is, which was probably all completely accidental... like say, combos =P of course, it was also slow as hell, maybe fighting games need to slow down?

as for dashing i totally do it in every 3d game now. it looks so bad in vf4 and sc. =X =X =X

and as for tekken... damn, it seems like i'm not getting better. i blew $20 on DR yesterday and i still can't block low.

[quote name='kainzero']

and as for tekken... damn, it seems like i'm not getting better. i blew $20 on DR yesterday and i still can't block low.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had DR :(

The only way I'm going to be able to play DR is on the PSP or if I save up for an arcade board, which probably wont happen.

You live in Miami. I know there's a decent arcade scene somewhere near or in Miami. Therefore, chances are good that an arcade near you will have DR. Go to an arcade.

I'm using Hayate... aka got raped for his good stuff lol.

Kasumi is GOOD.

Might learn her.

DR = :)

kainzero: blocking low is overrated... the only lows you need to block are the slow ones... and well hellsweeps. I don't think anyone can see those consistently... it's too fast. Spacing = the key! I have terrible reflexes but I'm able to get wins from just holding back.

[quote name='Stice']You live in Miami. I know there's a decent arcade scene somewhere near or in Miami. Therefore, chances are good that an arcade near you will have DR. Go to an arcade.[/QUOTE]

Both Rolento and myself live in South Florida. I've been to several arcades in the last month and haven't seen one. Theirs even a Boomers near me that always gets new stuff (they have Tekken 5) but no DR, yet.

Their might be one, but it's not in any of the places I frequent.

I did a SRK search on the tournament forum, and only the tournament forum, and found there are machines in JACKSONVILLE, which is probably too far for you guys to care. However, searching in general for arcades near (under 100 miles) Miami, there are several arcades in nearby major cities.

The other thing I learned is Miami has a lot of console tournaments.

[quote name='MarkMan']kainzero: blocking low is overrated... the only lows you need to block are the slow ones... and well hellsweeps. I don't think anyone can see those consistently... it's too fast. Spacing = the key! I have terrible reflexes but I'm able to get wins from just holding back.[/quote]
my spacing lately has been pissing me off

i keep thinking snake edge whiffs but i swear the hitbox goes past his foot or something and i always think i dodge it when i get hit anyway. i swear i keep whiffing by the smallest of margins but those margins seem to work for the opponent :bomb:

as for the lows i do get hit by, they're all slow like snake edge, nina's sweep, etc =X

i need more lili setups besides df+1 ssl df+2 and df+1 throw. hahha.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Both Rolento and myself live in South Florida. I've been to several arcades in the last month and haven't seen one. Theirs even a Boomers near me that always gets new stuff (they have Tekken 5) but no DR, yet.

Their might be one, but it's not in any of the places I frequent.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is, Miami dosn't have DR at all, while from what a freind of mine tells me Puerto Rico has had DR for a long ass time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back