CAG home owner topic. Buying or selling a home? Have a maintance issue? Help is here!

I think a duplex, 2 flat, etc is the ideal goal for a lot of people who live in major cities. Make sure you don't overspend and research your tenant. If you have all your bills covered and a years worth of mortgage for the new unit in savings, then I would go for it. If you already have debt, I would pay down your existing debt, then look to buy.

Looking to get new carpet.  Doing some rough measuring right now.

I'll be paying for ripout, installation, all that stuff because I'm not a DIY kinda guy.  Any tips at all?  Seems like a fairly straightforward purchase except for choosing the carpet, which seems to have a million different options.

Looking to get new carpet. Doing some rough measuring right now.

I'll be paying for ripout, installation, all that stuff because I'm not a DIY kinda guy. Any tips at all? Seems like a fairly straightforward purchase except for choosing the carpet, which seems to have a million different options.
Make sure you dont go cheap on the padding.

I remember years ago i wound up doing the ripout to save $100 or whatever it was. Wasn't bad and didn't take that long, guess it depends if you have access to a dumpster, etc.

Well, my Mom has developed light/early Alzehiemers and fractured her ankle so I can't stay away from her for too long (I'm helping my Dad take care of her). So I don't get out to my house more than once a week to mow and pick up (junk) mail. I haven't technically lived full time in my house since 2011. I think of it as a long term investment that I'll live in later when things settle down. My house has already doubled in value since I bought it and I couldn't afford it right now.

What do you use to mow your lawn? I have an old gas mower and an electric that I've had for 3 years, but the battery doesn't hold as much charge as it used to but it hold enough to mow why whole lawn. I heard new batteries for those get expensive.

Looking to get new carpet. Doing some rough measuring right now.

I'll be paying for ripout, installation, all that stuff because I'm not a DIY kinda guy. Any tips at all? Seems like a fairly straightforward purchase except for choosing the carpet, which seems to have a million different options.
Find the carpet you like then go to various places and get prices, more preferably if you can get what they charge for square foot and installation. When I had my house done a few years ago most places had an x amount per yard and x amount for installation, which included taking out the existing carpet.

Toro is what I see all the gardeners use, you can find tons of stuff on craigslist regardless of where you are. I think older hondas are good too. Anything battery operated is horrible for lawncare unless they are small jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some scratching coming from inside my walls. Yuck. Im probably just gonna have a pest control company come in. anyone had anything similar?

I have some scratching coming from inside my walls. Yuck. Im probably just gonna have a pest control company come in. anyone had anything similar?
Probably a mouse or a bat, eventually it will die, then decay.

If you have an attic it is most likely the entry point.

You can try a humane mouse trap (clear box) and let it out in a field somewhere if you catch it.

I would bait it with flour tortillas. Mice seem to love them (not joking).

My wife and I are in the process of selling our home.  We are currently under contract with a buyer who has a VA loan.  The inspection just took place on Friday.  From our understanding, we can't negotiate price based on the inspection, but rather everything must be fixed in order for deal to go through with the VA.

Has anyone else sold to anyone using a VA loan?  Any tips of advice?

Thanks!

Probably a mouse or a bat, eventually it will die, then decay.

If you have an attic it is most likely the entry point.

You can try a humane mouse trap (clear box) and let it out in a field somewhere if you catch it.

I would bait it with flour tortillas. Mice seem to love them (not joking).
Thanks. Chatted with my uncle. He said don't bother calling a professional yet. Just put out some traps or poison and seal up the cracks/holes around the exterior of my house. That's probably what I'll do.

That noises sound really loud for it to be a mouse, IMO. Do bats make lots of scratching noises? And yes I do have an attic, I also think my garage may be a point of entry. It's attached to the house and because of a tilt in the cement it doesn't close all the way in one corner.

Thanks. Chatted with my uncle. He said don't bother calling a professional yet. Just put out some traps or poison and seal up the cracks/holes around the exterior of my house. That's probably what I'll do.

That noises sound really loud for it to be a mouse, IMO. Do bats make lots of scratching noises? And yes I do have an attic, I also think my garage may be a point of entry. It's attached to the house and because of a tilt in the cement it doesn't close all the way in one corner.
It could be a squirrel. They will pack the walls with pine cones. Ground squirrels tend to hang out in garages. Rats can also live in attics and they would be louder than mice or bats.

Bats will scratch when they climb, but you usually hear little "meep meep" noises. They are about the size of mice. The biggest concern would be rabies.

Once you find out what it is animal control may come out for free depending on your city.

----

I had an encounter with a bat. I thought there was a bird in the house until it flew by my head.

I called animal control and they wouldn't come out for a bat.

I hit it with a broom? (can't remember) and it fell on my foot. Once it got airborne again, I was able to catch it with a towel and fling it outside. About a week later there was a report on the news saying that bats in my area were found with rabies and to call animal control if you encounter one. :wall:

My wife and I are in the process of selling our home. We are currently under contract with a buyer who has a VA loan. The inspection just took place on Friday. From our understanding, we can't negotiate price based on the inspection, but rather everything must be fixed in order for deal to go through with the VA.

Has anyone else sold to anyone using a VA loan? Any tips of advice?

Thanks!
Hey - Yeah from my understanding VA and FHA are tough with inspection stuff. It's all safety related stuff typically but if it's an old home there can be a lot of stuff to repair. And as far as I know you are right - you have to fix all that stuff. I've heard it can vary pretty wildly from one inspector to another so I hope you got a easy going one. I've also known friends (buyers) who were going through FHA and to get the house they actually did some of the work themselves. I know that's stressful for you though!!!

We have a contract on our home and close in two weeks. Buyer has conventional loan and our inspection wasn't too bad thank goodness (our house was built in 1960.) We did most of the simple repairs and gave $200 for some damaged siding. Our problem is we haven't found a house yet. We've tried though damnit! Bit of a drought with the market where we are looking. So we are going to have to rent and move twice. I think this house selling/buying thing trumps having kids as the most stressful thing me and my wife have gone through!

Hey - Yeah from my understanding VA and FHA are tough with inspection stuff. It's all safety related stuff typically but if it's an old home there can be a lot of stuff to repair. And as far as I know you are right - you have to fix all that stuff. I've heard it can vary pretty wildly from one inspector to another so I hope you got a easy going one. I've also known friends (buyers) who were going through FHA and to get the house they actually did some of the work themselves. I know that's stressful for you though!!!

We have a contract on our home and close in two weeks. Buyer has conventional loan and our inspection wasn't too bad thank goodness (our house was built in 1960.) We did most of the simple repairs and gave $200 for some damaged siding. Our problem is we haven't found a house yet. We've tried though damnit! Bit of a drought with the market where we are looking. So we are going to have to rent and move twice. I think this house selling/buying thing trumps having kids as the most stressful thing me and my wife have gone through!
Best of luck with finding a home! Hopefully with Spring starting more houses will start to hit the market that you can check out. Our closing is currently set for April 10th...I can only hope we can get there.

a friend installed a french drain and 2 sump pumps, and he still has water issues. Finished basement too, so has gone through a bunch of carpet already.

We're one of those crazy lucky people whose house doesn't have any water issues.  House isn't on a hill either.  No sump pump or anything and there's never a drop of water in our basement.  When we moved in we had landscapers dig a trench on the side of the house that is next to the neighbor's plot that angles down towards ours for a few hundred bucks for added protection.  We are so damn fortunate to have not had any issues with all the snow here.  Our house is over 100 years old too.  A lot of the house is ugly as shit (we plan on renovating after the mortgage is paid off in a year or so), but damn are the bones solid.

Have "lead lined" box gutters on our front porch and they seem to be leaky into the soffet of the porch. My dad told me that they probably need recoated. Now my question is what do I recoat them with?

I posted like 5 months back in here when I started looking for a house and I still am. There is a house I might make an offer on, but the whole market just seems so aggressive around here. It will be on the market for like a week and bam sold. I was going to make an offer on before but it was pending the day after I toured it.

I looked at a 3 family yesterday. We would live in one unit while renting the other two. After doing the math out it would come out to some where between 6 and 750 a month base out of pocket after the two rentals (assuming they are filled). Right now they are filled with one paying $950 and the other $1500. I think the $1500 could be upped higher since we are paying $1600 for an apartment a few blocks away in a less nice area and with a less modern kitchen (although ours is a little bigger).

I went to the group showing yesterday and there were literally 40 people looking at the house. It had a finished basement with a shower (probably about a 500 sq feet finished room) which i something I've always wanted for putting down some of my jiu-jitsu/judo mats (like in avatar) and putting my metal DDR pads down. Since I've lived in a 3rd floor apartment for two years I haven't been able to play DDR at all and its been a drag for me since I love DDR (and also since I probably got an extra 3 hours of exercise a week out of it).

It's a pretty scary thing considering putting down 100K+ of money for a down payment, but in the long run it probably makes sense instead of just forking over 20K a year for an apartment that I'm not crazy about with limited parking, storage, etc.

Are they asking for 100k down? How much are the total unit together?

It will probably get eaten by an investor if the comps are good enough.

My parents have (hopefully) a mouse again in their basement. My Dad couldn't find the humane traps, so he bought one of the new black ones. Whatever it is, it isn't triggering the trap. I need to find the clear plastic ones because they seem to work well.

I was grabbing some rolls that they had bought in bulk and I noticed the bag was ripped. Upon further inspection, I figured it was a "chew".

My mom just thought it was a rip so, she swapped them out. She brought home a fresh bag and the same thing happened. It may be our old tortilla eating mouse. Maybe he found his way back.

Hopefully it isn't the bat. I'm not sure I want another run in with him.

Since I saw this buped up I thought I would update.

I made an offer of the asking price of $650K. I was crushed by someone who came in and offered $755K (105 over the asking price).

So sine then it has been back to the drawing board. I've looked at other open houes, but nothing I really liked and other ones felt very overpriced.

My parents have (hopefully) a mouse again in their basement. My Dad couldn't find the humane traps, so he bought one of the new black ones. Whatever it is, it isn't triggering the trap. I need to find the clear plastic ones because they seem to work well.

I was grabbing some rolls that they had bought in bulk and I noticed the bag was ripped. Upon further inspection, I figured it was a "chew".

My mom just thought it was a rip so, she swapped them out. She brought home a fresh bag and the same thing happened. It may be our old tortilla eating mouse. Maybe he found his way back.

Hopefully it isn't the bat. I'm not sure I want another run in with him.
So the trap is gone...I was worried it was something bigger, but I found some poop and it is about the size of an anise seed.

Apparently this mouse has been down there for a while. It ate 2 whole bags of chips you would use to bake cookies.

I was peanut better chips and the other was chocolate.

I also saw an Easter chocolate bunny that had little teeth marks on it. He managed to peel off the foil and scape away at the chocolate. The teeth marks are small and look like a "knaw". I was worried it was a rat, but I am pretty confidant it is a mouse that has been down there a while.

Since I saw this buped up I thought I would update.

I made an offer of the asking price of $650K. I was crushed by someone who came in and offered $755K (105 over the asking price).

So sine then it has been back to the drawing board. I've looked at other open houes, but nothing I really liked and other ones felt very overpriced.
Where do you live? That blows. The housing market is terrible now for buyers. So glad I bought when I did...

...Speaking of that, for some reason when I logged in to CAG while looking at this topic, it went to my first post in the topic, about 4x pages in, which is when I started talking about my house-buying journey almost 4 years ago. Read the whole saga all over again. That was a blast from the past. Four years later, this house has been great. Only very minor repairs have been needed other than the big upgrades we did to start with (converted from oil to gas heat, new dishwasher and washing machine). The interior is still ugly as shit and badly needs to be sanded and repainted, but the bones of the house are still fantastic. SO glad we ended up here. And we are almost done with paying off the mortgage. Should be done in six months or so, just around 4 years after we bought. It's going to be amazing once it's paid off. Husband plans to go down to part-time to start writing more often and I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. But the peace of mind will be amazing. We also plan on fixing the interior aesthetics of this place, probably replace the deck (which is still usable even after the terrible winter dumping several feet of snow but it's kind of creaky and an eyesore) with concrete/possibly brick? steps to start with. And go on more vacations. :lol:

So the trap is gone...I was worried it was something bigger, but I found some poop and it is about the size of an anise seed.

Apparently this mouse has been down there for a while. It ate 2 whole bags of chips you would use to bake cookies.

I was peanut better chips and the other was chocolate.

I also saw an Easter chocolate bunny that had little teeth marks on it. He managed to peel off the foil and scape away at the chocolate. The teeth marks are small and look like a "knaw". I was worried it was a rat, but I am pretty confidant it is a mouse that has been down there a while.
I would just use the classic mouse traps and be done with it. I love animals but fuck it those things have short lifespans anyway and if the trap hits them right they can die instantly. Mice can be very bothersome, especially if they breed so if it comes down to it I will take them out any way I can opposed to risking the damn things multiplying.

I would just use the classic mouse traps and be done with it. I love animals but fuck it those things have short lifespans anyway and if the trap hits them right they can die instantly. Mice can be very bothersome, especially if they breed so if it comes down to it I will take them out any way I can opposed to risking the damn things multiplying.
Here is the update as of yesterday. 1 humane enclosure trap missing. 3 glue traps missing (I think it is too light to get stuck to it). 3 glue traps chewed, but still there. My Dad has a "super trap" that I am waiting to hear a report on and he has 2 classic traps outside next to the area/wall we assume it got in from.

Hopefully we got something last night.

I have a question is it illegal to cover up an existing window in a bathroom with drywall? We had bathroom work done and the company did this. Even though we asked them to leave it because we still wanted it. Instead they installed a ceiling fan. The window can still be seen from the outside. When it gets cold out the bathroom will reflect that.

They also installed the fan to vent into the attic?

The company is refusing to come back out. Since we found all this after they finished. What are our options?

Should we hire someone else to come fix this?

They also didnt have a permit to do the work, the owner said they did not need one? We actually have the recording of him saying that.

They did a bathroom remodel with a whole new shower and vanity.

Thanks for any help

Congrats! Cool Taj Mahal-like doorways. Mamie pink bathroom in the basement! (Mamie Eisenhower - http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/ ) Me and my wife love the mid century bathrooms - we have a couple in our 59 ranch - turquoise one and a gray one - wish we had a pink though!

Looking for a home in the $80k range in the Midwest.  Would like 1200 - 1500 square feet with a minimum 2 car garage.  A decent sized lot would be a nice bonus.

Recently looked at a place that is not on the market yet.  It's a Limestone built in 1951, sits on .56 acres and has 1 car attached and 2 car detached garages only a few blocks from the busy part of town.  Trulia estimates it's value at $78k so I was thinking I would hit the jackpot on my first try. 

Wrong.

They guy had been renting it to his son, and he treated it like a rental.  First thing I noticed was a few blocks of limestone on the front were "crumbling".  There was a pile of dust under them as if someone were rubbing it with sandpaper.  There was a small deck in the back yard that had a structure built over it that at one time had a retractable cloth cover and ceiling fan.  The cloth was gone and the blades for the ceiling fan were broken off.  A privacy fence surrounds the entire back yard which gave the son the opportunity to skip on mowing for apparently a couple years.  The grass was more than waist high but I noticed a patch in the middle with cattails.  "Yeah, that's a retention pond".  :?:  This is two blocks from the busiest road in a city of 70,000 in the middle of town and there's a retention pond?  Apparently there are no storm sewers in the neighborhood.  Red flag number one.

Once inside the appliances were dated, 60's or 70's style.  Not a big deal since they can be replaced easily.  The floors are either white tile with grout or original hardwood which I like.  The second issue came up when I noticed there was a dip in the floor near the back of the house, and it wasn't a small area.  It included half a bedroom and the whole bathroom (which, BTW, had a nasty looking de-laminated cast iron tub).  The house is on a crawlspace which I hate.  He said he cut channels in the crawl space to a sump pump which pumped water out to the road.  You would run this sump pump by plugging in this cord that is sticking out of a hatch in the master bedroom's closet.  This place has been unoccupied for about 4-5 months and it's been rainy as hell without this thing being plugged in, I can only imagine how damp it is and how much mold / wood damage there is.  Red flag number two.

Finally I ask how much.  $85,000.  :wall:   No way this place is worth anywhere near that much.  Everything I saw pointed to moisture issues.  I would be reluctant to buy it at $60k with all the issues it has.  To give you an idea what prices are like around here, a friend of mine bought a 1,200 sq. ft. house that was built in 2005 with a two car garage in a much more affluent area for only $25k more than what this guy was asking.

Here is the update as of yesterday. 1 humane enclosure trap missing. 3 glue traps missing (I think it is too light to get stuck to it). 3 glue traps chewed, but still there. My Dad has a "super trap" that I am waiting to hear a report on and he has 2 classic traps outside next to the area/wall we assume it got in from.

Hopefully we got something last night.
Had the same issue. I had all perishables sealed in a plastic tote but he would not go away. He was strong enough to escape from glue traps since I would find them dragged halfway across the room. Then I picked up these. http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0320110-Defense-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B001H1HHYS I put some peanut butter on the bait pad and went to play some basketball. Came back an hour later and he was already caught. I thought the trap worked great but as you can see from the link they have been discontinued. You might luck out and find a few locally.

Still looking for a house. I made an offer on a small two family ranch style house. Even though it was plain, I liked it. I offered 25K above asking and still didn't get it hah. Another house I liked I offered like 15K above asking and didn't get it.

Asking price means nothing here. If a house says asking is 450 they will take like 500 plus. Also every house says taking offers until next Tuesday, highest gets it.

Had the same issue. I had all perishables sealed in a plastic tote but he would not go away. He was strong enough to escape from glue traps since I would find them dragged halfway across the room. Then I picked up these. http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0320110-Defense-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B001H1HHYS I put some peanut butter on the bait pad and went to play some basketball. Came back an hour later and he was already caught. I thought the trap worked great but as you can see from the link they have been discontinued. You might luck out and find a few locally.
We think we got him. We caught one inside and killed 2 outside. My parents just had an energy efficient furnace and air conditioner installed, so we had to clean the basement to make room for the workers. We haven't found one of the missing glue traps, but we have 1/4 of the basement to clean still.

As far as your search, good luck. If you can get a house for 80k, that would be awesome!

I saw a thing on tv that hipsters are moving to Gary. Can't wait for the headlines: "Man in Wilco t-shirt stabbed to death for trying to buy the last case of PBR at local store." LOL

I saw a thing on tv that hipsters are moving to Gary. Can't wait for the headlines: "Man in Wilco t-shirt stabbed to death for trying to buy the last case of PBR at local store." LOL
Anyone that moves to Gary gets what they deserve.

Also, I can find a house around here for $80k but I'm not sure I can find what I want for that much. My uncle built a house here for roughly $50K including the lot. Of course he is a former contractor so he knows how to handle materials, labor etc. and did some of the more expensive work himself.

Finally an offer was accepted. So it seems the search is over.

Now I need to figure out all the paperwork stuff.

Any recommendations on finding a mortgage? Is it just best to punch in my info on zillow and call up the places with the lowest rate? I have good credit (780+)

Try credit unions over for-profit banks, they have way better rates on products. Navy Federal is probably the biggest CU and focuses on home loans, but there are tons of CUs, both local and national, that you can try.

Looked at a place a few days ago, has only been on the market since June 30th and is listed for $85k.  It's in a quiet neighborhood in a desired school district.  It was nothing spectacular but it met all the requirements I had aside from the lot size.  It is 1,250 sq. ft. with 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath and has a 700 sq. ft. climate controlled two car garage.  While looking I realized one of the current residents is a gamer.  Saw a boxed N64, boxed GC and a retron 5 in the garage along with a few NES cartridges on their media shelf.  Maybe I can negotiate them in with the house.  :p

I like it and wanted to put in an offer the next day but the Realtor wanted a form from the bank showing my preapproved status, she said it would be an advantage during negotiations.  Unfortunately the only person that could provide this was the lender that did the paperwork and she was out on training (she's a "lender trainee").  I finally go into the bank today and was able to have them flag her down and send the required forms.  During the 1 day delay the house was shown twice more.  I may have lost my time advantage due to the bank.

Anyway, I was the first to the table and made an offer tonight of $80k.  I will know by this time tomorrow if they accept, reject or make a counter offer.  I expect a counter offer since it's only been on the market 10 days.

P.S.

If I get this place, I'm making one of the bedrooms my retro gaming room.  I have a 1971 Zenith rotary dial cabinet TV complete with Space Command "clicker" for the 70's, 1980 Zenith cabinet turn dial for the 80's and a 27" black Panasonic on a stand for the 90's.  Each will have it's own area with period correct games and memorabilia.

It was built in 1965, so I have some concerns with the possibility of asbestos.  I had it included in the offer contract that I could terminate if asbestos was found.  As for where.... I'm not into giving out my location since it's not a huge town.  Let's just say I'm in the Midwest.

Having a problem with the landlord of the house next door to mine and need some advice and or wisdom from some fellow homeowners.

My neighbor has a very large tree growing fully in his backyard. Now the tree is so large and overgrown some of the larger top branches are very close to my second floor bedroom windows. They are so bad that on really windy days they smack up against the house and the one window. Also the tree is so large it's branches amd leaves shade a good part of my yard never giving that part of the yard to get any sunlight to dry out any moisture from all the rain we have been having here. We have contacted and asked him to have the tree pruned back a little with no success. About two days ago he left a note in my mailbox finally saying the estimate he received was for $700 and I should be responsible for half of that because I am the one with the problem with the tree. I have contacted my local officials and as long as the tree is alive and the roots are not damaging my property they teally can't do anything for me. So I guess my question is am I at all responsible for any costs for the upkeep of the tree?

Thanks,

Having a problem with the landlord of the house next door to mine and need some advice and or wisdom from some fellow homeowners.

My neighbor has a very large tree growing fully in his backyard. Now the tree is so large and overgrown some of the larger top branches are very close to my second floor bedroom windows. They are so bad that on really windy days they smack up against the house and the one window. Also the tree is so large it's branches amd leaves shade a good part of my yard never giving that part of the yard to get any sunlight to dry out any moisture from all the rain we have been having here. We have contacted and asked him to have the tree pruned back a little with no success. About two days ago he left a note in my mailbox finally saying the estimate he received was for $700 and I should be responsible for half of that because I am the one with the problem with the tree. I have contacted my local officials and as long as the tree is alive and the roots are not damaging my property they teally can't do anything for me. So I guess my question is am I at all responsible for any costs for the upkeep of the tree?

Thanks,
I'm not an internet lawyer, but I saw on some court show that you can cut any part of the tree that is over your property. It may vary by area and you may want to double check that before doing it. I would seek your own (free if possible) estimate to see if his is reasonable for your area.

I got a call today regarding the house.  It was for sale because the couple was splitting up.  Apparently my offer made them think about it and they decided to reconcile, they pulled it from the market this afternoon.

I'm glad they worked things out but pissed that they waited until I put in the time, paperwork and effort before they did.

I figure one of two things will happen; things will work out for them or they won't and the house will be available again in the next 6-12 months.

Back to square one.  I've scoured every available house in the area in my price range and have no interest in any of them.  Think I'm taking a break from the search.

That is lame, amd kind of a weird reason for a couple to reconcile. Keep an eye on the house, it'll go back on the market.
I figure there is a good chance it will, but I want to get in while the interest rates are still low. Also, there is a chance that the price gets jacked up or someone else beats me to it. My realtor told them that I was still interested if things change but I was in a prime position to get it before. I have three weeks left on my preapproved status then I have to go through all the paperwork again.

I figure the offer made them think hard about their relationship before proceeding. Once a shared home is sold it's pretty much a resignation that the relationship is over.

The contractors are almost done in my house and I'll finally be able to move in this weekend.  I'm planning on renting out the two spare bedrooms but I haven't had much luck finding renters. Any of you guys rent out rooms in your house and have any advice on finding renters?

Looks my journey may be over. I'm just waiting for final commitment from the mortgage company today. As of two days ago when I checked everything looked all set. I left a message reminding them this morning that I'm suppose to have their final commitment today so I can close on Wednesday.

Then there will be the actual moving in process, etc. I got a two family and will finally be able to live my dream of being a slum-lord.

My preapproval expired last Saturday, had fresh paperwork in to the bank the Wednesday before.  It has now been over a week and still not a peep.  I actually went into the bank after a week and was told the young lady handling me (giggity) was in training at another branch for the past few weeks. 

I understand training is important for new employees but that has nothing to do with me getting approved for a mortgage.  I was handed to the regional VP of lending (or whatever he was) who took all my information and said they should have something by Friday.  He probably handed everything back to her.  If I don't hear anything by lunch, I'm going in breathing fire. 

I went to an open house yesterday. Well, tried to. The realtor was just leaving because he couldn't get in the house. Went to get some lunch and came back to find him still having trouble. Wound up leaving. I suppose calling the owner for the garage code would make too much sense.

Closing on our new house in 2 weeks.  Planning on renting the old one out.  I hope I'm not posting any nightmare scenarios on this thread needing help.  Thanks all for the future advice.

Oh God, I bought the house.

Now I need to pull up carpets, paint and a few other things. Sadly with a full-time+ job I don't have time to get that kind of stuff done so I'm gonna have to get people to do it. I thought about doing it myself but there is no way I would get everything done in the next few weeks like I want and then actually move myself into the house.

bread's done
Back