CAG home owner topic. Buying or selling a home? Have a maintance issue? Help is here!

[quote name='keithp']Is that your camera or does the whole house lean to the right?[/QUOTE]

Realtor's camera. House doesn't lean. Slanted roof over garage doesn't help the shitty picture.

And on an unrelated note, what's with CAG message boards these days?! It's starting to feel like Gamefaqs in here!

So what are your thoughts on paying contractors who suck but finish the job? We had some trees taken down in mid-July and it was a disaster. They took out part of my garage and my neighbor's fence in the process. When we called the guy to tell him he had to fix this stuff he got all pissy but ultimately sent some people out and they repaired the damage.

Anyway, we told him to invoice us for everything and we would pay and so far we haven't received an invoice. I don't want to send him a check until he asks or at least bills us because I want a solid paper trail.

How long until you just forget about it? Say he doesn't invoice us because he forgot but then in December we get a bill? It is for quite a bit of money ($4k+) so the longer I can earn interest on it the better. How would you guys handle this?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This.

And can anyone answer my question?[/QUOTE]

We're in VA and it's also not required. We passed on it regardless. Just seems to be another way to siphon another few bucks out of the purchaser. I look at it this way, how many people do you know that have had radon issues in their homes? If the answer is less than one, I would definitely pass on a test.

In regards to Pookymeister's response, he's absolutely right. But there are a ridiculous number of things that could cause personal illness. We were always more concerned with mold when we were looking at houses. Might want to keep an eye out for excessive powerlines as well. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']We're in VA and it's also not required. We passed on it regardless. Just seems to be another way to siphon another few bucks out of the purchaser. I look at it this way, how many people do you know that have had radon issues in their homes? If the answer is less than one, I would definitely pass on a test.[/QUOTE]

Bad idea. A test is $25. Cancer sucks.
Most people don't know what radon is about, doesn't mean that its not there

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pdfs/zonemapcolor.pdf

[quote name='Pookymeister']Bad idea. A test is $25. Cancer sucks.
Most people don't know what radon is about, doesn't mean that its not there

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pdfs/zonemapcolor.pdf[/QUOTE]

At $25, I'll definitely run a test for my own amusement. Let me ask, if there are radon levels in a home, is there any remedy? Sounds like it's something that one would have to live with, unless the person chose to move.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']At $25, I'll definitely run a test for my own amusement. Let me ask, if there are radon levels in a home, is there any remedy? Sounds like it's something that one would have to live with, unless the person chose to move.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I think there are a few different fixes for it. For us, it involved installing a pipe drilled into the basement floor(to get under the slab) and then outside with a fan attached outside.
Cost was $900 with a 5yr warranty. Levels dropped from a reading of 50+ to 1-2. Over 4 is when they say to fix it.

So with the basement now fixed we want to try and make it look slightly nicer. The previous home owner had put down multiple layers of paint on the floor and after the water damage it is green in some spots and red in others and brown everywhere else. In addition there are parts of the floor that are raised from the water damage. We can not afford to have someone come and fix this right now, but we prefer not to leave it as is.

Our first thought was carpeting, but we are nervous about spending money to carpet the basement just to have water damage again at some point(its not supposed to happen, but if the county waterline backs up its still possible). A friend in our family suggested in door/outdoor carpeting that could take some water damage if it did happen again, but we know nothing about this. The other thought we had was just to paint it....but with the divots and raised spots of the floor we thought it might be hard to paint/not look right.

Anyone have any suggestions for what our best method of making it look nicer would be?

Supposedly there is some junk you can pour on ground to level out things - that's about all i know about it though. Just heard about it when getting old place tiled.

You can buy indoor outdoor at a local store off of huge rolls. Some chains put it on sale, some have remnants you can buy too.

Other than that painting it is the main solution.

You don't want to do anything too permanent and those are about it without leveling the floor.

[quote name='Javery']So what are your thoughts on paying contractors who suck but finish the job? We had some trees taken down in mid-July and it was a disaster. They took out part of my garage and my neighbor's fence in the process. When we called the guy to tell him he had to fix this stuff he got all pissy but ultimately sent some people out and they repaired the damage.

Anyway, we told him to invoice us for everything and we would pay and so far we haven't received an invoice. I don't want to send him a check until he asks or at least bills us because I want a solid paper trail.

How long until you just forget about it? Say he doesn't invoice us because he forgot but then in December we get a bill? It is for quite a bit of money ($4k+) so the longer I can earn interest on it the better. How would you guys handle this?[/QUOTE]

Don't pay until you get invoiced. End of story.

Anyone have recommendations for weed/grass killer thats growing over cement? We had a few spots on our walk that had some sprouts that we ignored thinking they wouldn't be a big deal...now they take up half or damn walk. We got a weed wacker to start using regularly, but it cant kill all of it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone have recommendations for weed/grass killer thats growing over cement? We had a few spots on our walk that had some sprouts that we ignored thinking they wouldn't be a big deal...now they take up half or damn walk. We got a weed wacker to start using regularly, but it cant kill all of it.[/QUOTE]

Wait till a really dry, hot day and hit it with some round-up. By the next day the weeds will already be turning brown, then I'll hit them with the weed whacker and spray again over where they were.

Don't really need to wait for a hot, dry day. Round-up takes effect in about 10 minutes. Just make sure it's not going to rain during that time. I've seen results in as little as one or two hours using full-strength stuff.

[quote name='eldergamer']I just wait until winter and hope they go away. (Sotto voice: I'm very lazy)[/QUOTE]

this. plus im in wisconsin, so I don't have a very long wait.

Does anyone have a skylight in their home?

I've got one in a bedroom that's angled on a vaulted ceiling. The light and heat that seeps through makes it really difficult to sleep in much past sunrise.

I did some Google-ing and found some sites that offer custom shades for skylights, but they're a bit pricey at around $200 on some sites.

Does anyone have any practical solutions that aren't so expensive? I feel like I'd need a shade that almost rolls and snaps into place when its not extended across the skylight.

How about tinted film? We had some installed on a huge ass picture window that gets afternoon sun and it cut down dramatically on heat transfer. Depending on the size of the skylight it may not be any cheaper than a shade, though, and of course has the drawback that it's always installed.

[quote name='Javery']Will that stuff work for moss too? I tried power washing and it started to eat away at the blacktop.[/QUOTE]

I use Roundup Poison Ivy. It comes in a yellow container. A little more expensive than the regular roundup, but I've never had something live afterwards. I've killed entire bushes with it before.

Any tips for dealing with wasps/yellowjackets outside of traps and nasty foam spray?

Also Im going to have to touch up my house in a few places, any advice on that? Should I get a paint/primer or just the paint?

[quote name='kube00']Also if you guys have any questions about UGS (Underground Sprinkler Systems) I'm pretty handy with those.[/QUOTE]

O'rly? This summer my water usage spiked pretty badly. I figured it was from running my sprinklers. I checked for leaks throughout the inside and outside of the house. No leaks anywhere. No leak from the street to the house either. I'm thinking it might be the sprinklers somewhere however.

Is there any general maintenance I need to do to my system each year? It's a rain bird if that helps.

Javery, this might be a good question for you: Is a quitclaim deed the common type of deed used in a residential real estate transaction? I know the textbook definition from when I studied for the CPA exam, but obviously textbook definitions aren't always applicable to real life. But my husband reviewed the P&S for the house and he's going apeshit over this after looking it up on wikipedia. Wikipedia claims that a quitclaim deed is hardly ever used in a non-familial real estate transaction, whereas googling information on deeds in MA says it's the most common type of deed used when buying real estate in the state. Obviously, we have a lawyer who reviewed the document. He didn't say anything about it. Still thought I would ask the Internet lawyers on here though. ;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Javery, this might be a good question for you: Is a quitclaim deed the common type of deed used in a residential real estate transaction? I know the textbook definition from when I studied for the CPA exam, but obviously textbook definitions aren't always applicable to real life. But my husband reviewed the P&S for the house and he's going apeshit over this after looking it up on wikipedia. Wikipedia claims that a quitclaim deed is hardly ever used in a non-familial real estate transaction, whereas googling information on deeds in MA says it's the most common type of deed used when buying real estate in the state. Obviously, we have a lawyer who reviewed the document. He didn't say anything about it. Still thought I would ask the Internet lawyers on here though. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yea, based on wikipedia that looks no good to non-lawyer me. Are you using a title company and title insurance? I think that might help cover things.

FYI: VA loans are a real pain in the ass.

VA appraiser comes in and says 6 things need to be fixed and recommends they be fixed in about the most expensive way possible. ~$4k total. Nothing we didn't know about. He includes fixing a part of the pool, which we are ripping out of the ground before we move in. We're now fighting with VA to let up on the pool thing while turning around and asking for consideration from the seller on the pool so we can use the money against the cost of removal.

VA: "You have to fix the pool so you can rip it out of the ground." Now all I see is this image when I think of VA:

30.png

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Javery, this might be a good question for you: Is a quitclaim deed the common type of deed used in a residential real estate transaction? I know the textbook definition from when I studied for the CPA exam, but obviously textbook definitions aren't always applicable to real life. But my husband reviewed the P&S for the house and he's going apeshit over this after looking it up on wikipedia. Wikipedia claims that a quitclaim deed is hardly ever used in a non-familial real estate transaction, whereas googling information on deeds in MA says it's the most common type of deed used when buying real estate in the state. Obviously, we have a lawyer who reviewed the document. He didn't say anything about it. Still thought I would ask the Internet lawyers on here though. ;)[/QUOTE]

If you have a lawyer reviewing the document, just ask him straight up whether a quitclaim deed is going to be a problem in your state. That's what he's there for, and any lawyer claiming to deal in real estate transactions will know whether that's appropriate in your state.

But like Pookymeister said, if you are using a title company, in which case you're probably purchasing title insurance, then you'll theoretically be fine because the title insurance is supposed to cover the defects in the title if any arise later. And the title company will do a title search and uncover any known title problems right now before you purchase the property.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']P&S has been signed muthafuckas! And yes, title insurance will be involved. Should be closing by the middle of next month.[/QUOTE]

Good for you, DoK. Buying a house is a thrilling and stressful experience, but it's a step in the right direction.

I've lived with my parents for 10 years and am still not used to living in my house. I feel paranoid from time to time from all the stress of losing my job and other personal stuff and moving into the house is a new experience that makes me stressed and paranoid. How long will it take for me to feel completely settled in?

I've been going to my parents back and forth quite a bit.

[quote name='mtxbass1']O'rly? This summer my water usage spiked pretty badly. I figured it was from running my sprinklers. I checked for leaks throughout the inside and outside of the house. No leaks anywhere. No leak from the street to the house either. I'm thinking it might be the sprinklers somewhere however.

Is there any general maintenance I need to do to my system each year? It's a rain bird if that helps.[/QUOTE]

Im guessing either you use city water to water yr yard? You could clean the sprinklers if they are pop ups. You might adjust them as well. The best time to water is evenings say 7:30 pm on or 5am-6:30 am ish. How long were you running the sprinklers? How many times a week?

[quote name='kube00']Im guessing either you use city water to water yr yard? You could clean the sprinklers if they are pop ups. You might adjust them as well. The best time to water is evenings say 7:30 pm on or 5am-6:30 am ish. How long were you running the sprinklers? How many times a week?[/QUOTE]

County water, yes. I always water between 5:30-6:30ish. 20 minutes per zone, 2 zones. Initially 3 times a week, but now? 1 time a week, if that. Everything is pretty much burnt from the heat.

Do any of you have to clean your bathroom roof/walls because of moisture or no? If so how do you go about doing it? Growing up with my parents we used to have these nasty yellow and black marks on the ceiling that I always thought were tar from my dads cigarettes, but now me and my wife are getting the same thing here. I think its because we have a small bathroom and the moisture from the steam is causing some kind of damage(as well as mold in one corner).

Scrubbing things down with water and soap right now seems fine and makes sense, but long term doing that all the time seems kind of silly.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Do any of you have to clean your bathroom roof/walls because of moisture or no? If so how do you go about doing it? Growing up with my parents we used to have these nasty yellow and black marks on the ceiling that I always thought were tar from my dads cigarettes, but now me and my wife are getting the same thing here. I think its because we have a small bathroom and the moisture from the steam is causing some kind of damage(as well as mold in one corner).

Scrubbing things down with water and soap right now seems fine and makes sense, but long term doing that all the time seems kind of silly.[/QUOTE]

To clean mildew bleach works best, hydrogen peroxide works well and if you want to work with something less hazardous try vinegar.

The long term fix is better ventilation. If the room has a window you can crack it when taking a shower or you can add a bathroom fan that vents outside or if you already have one try cleaning or replacing the fan blade.

I had an apartment once where the bathroom didn't have a window and the fan was garbage and maintenance couldn't fix it and wouldn't replace it. To keep down on the mold and mildew buildup we left the door open after a shower and plugged in a small fan to help blow the moisture into the rest of the house.

[quote name='mtxbass1']County water, yes. I always water between 5:30-6:30ish. 20 minutes per zone, 2 zones. Initially 3 times a week, but now? 1 time a week, if that. Everything is pretty much burnt from the heat.[/QUOTE]

I am so fucking glad the house we got has no lawn. It does have a good-sized patio and deck, but no lawn. Thank Jesus.

I have a lawn but I never use it. LoL I'm got a nice sunroom which is good enough. I'd use the back lawn more if I had a fence, but I need permits and it's expensive to put one in and I don't have the money for one right now.

Could someone really smart and nice break down the process of buying a house in steps for me? I'm looking to purchase within the next year or two and I'm not really sure where to start.

I believe #1 is getting approved for a loan, but can I shop around for a lower rate? Which really leads me to ask "What's a good rate?"

If I ask for a $200,000 loan and I don't make the cut, do they simply decrease the quantity or do I start over by asking for less? Would not being approved affect my credit rating?

I've also know that property tax is paid each year. If the tax was $1800 for the last year, is that paid upfront or broken down with the mortgage payment?

Thanks... the whole process is pretty intimidating.

UPDATED: Sorry, are there any other bills besides utilities I should expect to pay monthly?

So here's how we're doing it using a VA loan. I'm not sure how FHA or regular loans work but I'm sure someone can fill in the blanks. VA is our guarantor and USAA is our mortgage company.

I could be getting something wrong so don't trust me.

1. We got prequalified for a certain amount. We went to our bank and said we wanted to borrow X dollars. The bank pulled our credit and agreed to pre-qualify us for that amount with an interest rate of X percent. We used a bunch of online calculators to get an idea of whether or not the bank would be willing to loan us that amount, so we were confident in our approval when we finally sent the pre-qual request. At this point, the rate is understood (ie we know what they're offering) but not locked.

2. We made an offer on a house. The offer was for less than we were pre-qualified for so we went back to the bank and had them change the number to the lower amount to discourage the owner from countering with a higher number. Along with the offer, we sent them the pre-qualification letter from the bank.

3. The seller countered with some dumb stuff, like they would accept our offer if they took their appliances with them. We accept this counter offer. We send an "earnest" check for $4k which I guess shows that we're serious.

4. We notify our bank that the seller has accepted and fax them a copy of the contract. The bank sends us a packet of stuff they want in order to do the actual qualification for the loan. They wanted bank statements, statements explaining why we had applied for credit in the last 90 days (we had a car loan that we paid back in 60 days), a letter saying how much we pay per month for daycare, explanations for why there were holes in our employment history (my wife graduated law school less than 2 years ago), etc.

5. At this point the bank "locked" our interest rate for 90 days. If we close within the 90 day period, we get the interest rate on the loan that we have agreed to with the bank.

6. We pay out of pocket for an inspector who goes over the house and notes each and every thing wrong with the house (hopefully). If there is anything materially different from what the seller disclosed (ie something is worse than they said), you have the option of walking away, having them fix it, or lowering the house price. Or they can tell you no and you either live with it or walk away.

6a. A VA appraiser comes out and appraises the value of the home. If it is lower than the price you have offered, something happens here. The appraisal was higher than the offer so we didn't have to worry about this. The VA appraiser also notes anything "major" that is screwed up on the house. VA requires these things to be fixed before they will approve. We demanded they be fixed by the seller. The seller agreed.

7. The title company is assigned and makes sure that the owners actually own the home.

Everything below here we haven't actually done yet.
=============

8. The bank approves the loan.

9. VA sends an appraiser again for a final inspection. If the stuff has been fixed, they approve the loan.

10. The title company approves the owner as the actual owner of the house?

11. The seller hands you the keys.

12. Profit?

What comes out of our pocket vs. what goes "into the loan"?

Out of pocket:
Earnest money. This money goes towards your first mortgage payment (I think) if the house closes. If not it is returned to you.
The inspector. I think it was $500 or $600.
Closing costs at the time the loan is finally approved. This includes any down payment. We are not putting down a down payment.
Also of note, we are "selling points" to keep our out of pocket closing costs down because we have the ability to pay double our mortgage payments every month.
Total out of pocket for us: $9,000.

What gets rolled into the loan (making it bigger than the offer accepted by the seller, if that makes sense):
VA closing costs.
Other closing costs.
The points we sold.
The total for the additional money rolled into the loan for us is about $7,500.

Our mortgage loan requires that our property taxes ($600/month) and home insurance ($200/month) be included in the mortgage payments. Not included is flood insurance (not required but we're doing it anyway), which will cost us about $200 a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2DMention']I have a lawn but I never use it. LoL I'm got a nice sunroom which is good enough. I'd use the back lawn more if I had a fence, but I need permits and it's expensive to put one in and I don't have the money for one right now.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of lawns anyone got any good tips or websites for reseeding a lawn? Now's the time of year to do it so I've already killed off a few parts of my lawn where the weeds were just too bad and am planning to put seed down but would love any tips.

honestly the only thing that has ever worked for me was just seed it...wait a day or two, seed it again, and a ton of water. it's the only thing that ever worked for me.

[quote name='perdition(troy']honestly the only thing that has ever worked for me was just seed it...wait a day or two, seed it again, and a ton of water. it's the only thing that ever worked for me.[/QUOTE]

So no fertilizer or seed starter at all?

I just put some seeds down today. I just raked it to get rid of the dead grass, seeded, raked a little more to get seeds in dirt a bit, and watered it. Plan on watering it every day and hope it grows.

Again, reading this thread makes me damn glad we found the house we did. That was one of the pros of getting a condo- not having to take care of a lawn- and we got out of it anyway.

Anyone a good company in SoCal fo landscaping? I plan on redoing my backyard. It is a mess and really want a nice design with either a pool or spa, small patch of grass and BBQ pit.

[quote name='2DMention']I have a lawn but I never use it. LoL I'm got a nice sunroom which is good enough. I'd use the back lawn more if I had a fence, but I need permits and it's expensive to put one in and I don't have the money for one right now.[/QUOTE]

For any fence at all? I've got a small section to close off between the garage and the neighbor's fence so I can let the dogs run around in the back yard. I hope I don't need to pull a permit for roughly 10' of fence with a gate in it. That'd be some BS.

you don't need a permit for something like that...just do it. if somewhere down the road someone complains about it and you get a letter in the mail to fix it, fix it then.

bread's done
Back