CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

I've been running and lifting pretty consistently 5-6 times a week and dieting well. I don't really count calories too intensely though I just try to stay under 2000. With all the cardio I do I still finish with a deficit so eh. I go everyday but motivating myself in the morning is tough with how cold its been.

[quote name='Number83']Personally, I'd go the sabotage route of supplying Donuts and Deep Fried Food products. Leave them for her by her locker.[/QUOTE]

She would never fall for it. Her awesome fitness power is strong. The only way to defeat awesome fitness power is with more awesome fitness power, which I will have once I finish eating the egg whites of destiny and doing the insanity dance of strength... for the next 4 months. Ugh. No matter... I will have my victory.

[quote name='Javery']She would never fall for it. Her awesome fitness power is strong. The only way to defeat awesome fitness power is with more awesome fitness power, which I will have once I finish eating the egg whites of destiny and doing the insanity dance of strength... for the next 4 months. Ugh. No matter... I will have my victory.[/QUOTE]

Godspeed!

I need that motivation to be disciplined for more of my meals. I go through the bulk of the day pretty healthy, don't cheat, don't get huge hoagies at Wawa (my poison the first year after I moved to Philly).

But then come dinner time I consistently overeat in terms of portions, or I'll just fucking blow it. Didn't get home from work until 9PM last night, so I was in full-on "fuck it, I'ma eat a whole frozen pizza" mode. Dealing with guilt hangover today. So I could use some words of wisdom or sage advice on how to avoid the sultry siren song of the frozen pizza.

[quote name='mykevermin']I need that motivation to be disciplined for more of my meals. I go through the bulk of the day pretty healthy, don't cheat, don't get huge hoagies at Wawa (my poison the first year after I moved to Philly).

But then come dinner time I consistently overeat in terms of portions, or I'll just fucking blow it. Didn't get home from work until 9PM last night, so I was in full-on "fuck it, I'ma eat a whole frozen pizza" mode. Dealing with guilt hangover today. So I could use some words of wisdom or sage advice on how to avoid the sultry siren song of the frozen pizza.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that's going to work in that situation...the ONLY thing...is to not have that type of food in the house. Out of sight, out of mind.

You'll need clean, "easy" foods to substitute in that scenario.

I've went weeks of eating the right things, with the right portions. Yesterday my co-worker wanted to get pizza. I decided to opt-in and treat myself. End result? I ate way more than I needed to. (At least I'm trying to gain weight, so, it wasn't too bad...but I was bloated and had low energy the rest of the day.)

[quote name='mykevermin']I need that motivation to be disciplined for more of my meals. I go through the bulk of the day pretty healthy, don't cheat, don't get huge hoagies at Wawa (my poison the first year after I moved to Philly).

But then come dinner time I consistently overeat in terms of portions, or I'll just fucking blow it. Didn't get home from work until 9PM last night, so I was in full-on "fuck it, I'ma eat a whole frozen pizza" mode. Dealing with guilt hangover today. So I could use some words of wisdom or sage advice on how to avoid the sultry siren song of the frozen pizza.[/QUOTE]

Eff Wawa and their delicious cheap sandwiches. Although I'd be eating cheese steaks like a mofo if I lived in Philly. Rig is right, don't keep that stuff in the house. It's the only way. Last night I ate a granola bar when I got home because I was so hungry and I was annoyed with myself as I was chewing it. Also, I always chug water whenever I feel super hungry. It may not stop me from eating but it definitely stops me from over-eating.

I like to keep some healthier options in the house that are also quick and easy and enjoyable too. I really like flavored oatmeal and although the instant stuff isn't as good for you its still not the worst you can do. I male sure to grab the lower sugar variety and always use water and no butter or milk.

Kashi frozen entrees are a decent choice too as far as that kinda thing goes. 300 calories carbs from whole wheat pasta and veggies and a respectable amount of protein. Not better than preparing it yourself but if you need a quick fix there are worse options and they are feeling. And javs got it right. Drink a lot of water with your meals, it will make you feel more full and eat slowly. Maybe start your meal with greens/complex carbs

Halfway through week 5 of my program.

Gained 4 pounds in 5 weeks. And that was eating 2000 calories a day and 25g of carbs. Lol.

Might cut sooner than I thought. Like, I might try cutting while on this program and then reset it or do a 5/3/1 with body building accessory work. My wedding is in May and I don't want to be a fatass no matter how strong I get.

I would just go to 1600 calories and go for a 30-40 minute brisk walk every day. Yes I know that sounds low, but if I'm gaining on 2000, my BMR ain't great ;)

Edit- 1600 on rest days. I'd stick to 2000 on lifting days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lurked on this thread off and on for a while. I finally decided to jump in. Anyway, I'm trying to shed pounds that I gained when I quit smoking several years ago. I started P90X almost 3 years ago, but only finished 2 months of it, before I had to go out of town for work and wrecked my routine. I got back home and was totally out of the routine and lost motivation at that point. I tried to start it again last year, but got side-tracked with work and my kids' sports and didn't get very far before I stopped again.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago. I received an email from Beachbody advertising their newest workout, Les Mills Combat. I decided that I wanted that and that was going to be what got me going again. I told the wife that it was the only thing that I wanted for Christmas. I did get it for Christmas, however I didn't actually get started on it until January 6.

I'm almost finished with week 3 now and it is awesome. I like it so much more than P90X. Even though my son is playing basketball at the moment and I'm coaching his soccer team too, it hasn't prevented me from getting my workouts in. It is a mixture of 6 martial arts, so there are tons of punches, kicks, and various cardio exercises that keep your heart rate up. They change it up often enough that you don't get bored. There is a strength training day in the routine, and a plyo day, but the other days are all martial arts. I'm doing the regular "Combat Warrior" calendar the first time through. After the 60 days are up, I'm going to start again on the "Ultimate Warrior" calendar. After that, I may finally pop in those Insanity discs that have been collecting dust forever now.

So far, almost 4 weeks in, I've shed 9 pounds and feel awesome. I had set a goal to lose 27 pounds in the 60 days, but I don't think it will happen. 20 may be a bit more attainable. I would like to lost about 45 pounds or so total, so that is why I plan on doing a 2nd run through and then do Insanity. I have changed up my eating habits, but I don't follow the diet plan to the T. I just make better decisions and eat smaller portions.

Good job Lokki. I know how tough it is to find time to exercise if you have kids. 20 lbs. in 2 months is a good pace. Anything more than that and you are likely to gain it back quickly. Slow and steady.

I haven't heard of the Les Mills Combat workout but I'll check it out. Once I'm finished with Insanity this time around I think I'll want something new.

[quote name='Javery']Good job Lokki. I know how tough it is to find time to exercise if you have kids. 20 lbs. in 2 months is a good pace. Anything more than that and you are likely to gain it back quickly. Slow and steady.

I haven't heard of the Les Mills Combat workout but I'll check it out. Once I'm finished with Insanity this time around I think I'll want something new.[/QUOTE]

Combat is a new program from Beachbody.. the same people that sell P90X and Insantiy.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/les-mills-combat-workout.do

Getting back on the wagon starting today. I took an extended pie vacation over the holidays and feel like total crap. I was thinking about buying a new bike but the CAG in me tells me to just take up running. I think that's what I'd like to do this year since I only started biking because I was too fat to run.

[quote name='Allnatural']This has been my go-to song (and album) when going all-out with the weights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6-vI70oc0

Never do squats without it.[/QUOTE]

Hell yes!

I'm feeling pretty good 2 weeks back into it and I'm also seeing the effects already as my skinny jeans are not so tight any more. I bought a bunch of new clothes last summer and I noticed they weren't as roomy as they once were but I'm on my way back. Good thing I got rid of all my XL clothes.

The raspberry ketones should be here on Monday (personal science experiment) and I've been eating a chocolate protein shake in the afternoons to curb my appetite. I'm also not sore anymore which is nice. I think Memorial Day is a realistic time for me to hit my goals (175 lbs and jacked like a mofo... OK, actually just some more definition).

I finally went to the gym on Saturday and Sunday. It has been at least 1 1/2 months since I last went. It felt great and I am easing my way back.

I've been taking beta alanine and citrulline malate in addition to creatine for a week now. I don't know if it was a placebo but my workout definitely felt better yesterday. After my squats I hit the leg press. Last week I struggled to put up 3 at 450. Yesterday I did two sets of 5 at 500 and still had 3-4 reps left in the tank each time.

First time ever I got out of bed, got dressed, went downstairs and was ready to leave and then decided to go back to sleep. I'm fighting a cold and I feel a little off (my nose is running like a mofo) so I decided to regroup and try again tomorrow. I'm bummed out but long-term it was probably the right move.

[quote name='Javery']First time ever I got out of bed, got dressed, went downstairs and was ready to leave and then decided to go back to sleep. I'm fighting a cold and I feel a little off (my nose is running like a mofo) so I decided to regroup and try again tomorrow. I'm bummed out but long-term it was probably the right move.[/QUOTE]
No harm in taking a break until you feel better, especially if it's a full-body sickness. Last time I tried to workout with a severe cold I though I was going to die.

Anyone done a juice cleanse around here? Or really, any kind of cleanse (such as the lemon one)? My apologies if this has been discussed previously in this massive thread.

I've heard these are bad things to try, but was curious if there were any first hand accounts.

[quote name='Strell']Anyone done a juice cleanse around here? Or really, any kind of cleanse (such as the lemon one)? My apologies if this has been discussed previously in this massive thread.

I've heard these are bad things to try, but was curious if there were any first hand accounts.[/QUOTE]
There was a thread here a while back on the topic. Much ridicule was heaped upon the OP, and good times were had. Granted, he was going for a more extreme version, though I don't remember the details.

If your goal is weight loss, there are better (and healthier) ways to do it. If your goal is to "cleanse" yourself, it's pointless. Feed your body healthy foods and it'll clean itself.

[quote name='Allnatural']There was a thread here a while back on the topic. Much ridicule was heaped upon the OP, and good times were had. Granted, he was going for a more extreme version, though I don't remember the details.

If your goal is weight loss, there are better (and healthier) ways to do it. If your goal is to "cleanse" yourself, it's pointless. Feed your body healthy foods and it'll clean itself.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

I'm hovering around 180 right now. Just bought myself a set of 40lb dumbbells - just gotta get to the point where I can use them more(ie. fine for squats, daedlifts, some rows, but definitely not curls, etc)

[quote name='seanr1221']How's everyone's goals going?[/QUOTE]
Squats are killing me. It's a loooong trip from top to bottom for my lanky legs. Was doing 205lbs (pathetic) comfortably for sets of 6. 210....nah. Think I'll have to deload a bit. Legs are gettin' bigger though.

Flat bench, gone. I was continually stalling at 170. After a few resets I gave up. Dips are now my primary chest exercise. Grip wide, elbows out a bit, legs straight and pointing front to get by body angled properly. I've always been good at dips. Right now I'm doing sets of 6 with 30lbs strapped to my waste (wtf?). Doesn't make any sense, but my chest has started to explode. I do follow up with a light set of incline bench to hit the upper chest.

OHP needs work. It has never been a strong point, so I've been doing upright rows instead for a while. Now I'm back to the OHP at a meager 90lbs. I don't get that one either. Shoulders are big, but they're not strong.

Everything else is progressing nicely (deads, weighted chins, etc.)

Good over here. New gains in every major lift. I've been doing Jim Stoppani's "Shortcut to Size" program with a friend. Finishing week four of twelve.

Also one week until I begin a cut. I've bulked from high 150's to mid-180's, without gaining too much fat.

American Ninja Warrior is starting up again. Putting my video together for this year's competition.

So I had a serious case of the flu. Knocked me out completely for 10 days and I'm still not 100% so needless to say I haven't been working out for the last 3+ weeks. Total bullshit. I'm going to start up again on Monday. I don't have a shower at home anymore so I have to go to the gym to shower anyway so all I have to do is get out of bed 90 minutes earlier and I'll be all set. Still, 5 a.m. is going to be a shock to my system.

I figure Memorial Day is the day I like to be in fighting shape and there is still plenty of time for that. Ugh.

I feel like a McFatty. I am up to 186 pounds from 172~175, granted that is because I havent been biking to work but still isn't acceptable. I'm going to hit it hard for the next month to get back to a healthy 175

Making some nice size gains. I now need to wear larges, no more mediums!

Threw in my pic from the OP to show progress.

53C1F8CA-E48A-43DD-BFCF-C8108091A95E-4516-000001F9B4486575_zps844d30b1.jpg

229C1DE1-FAE6-4766-A386-420775B14489-4132-000001CFBDE4AB07_zpsf6eb16de.jpg

[quote name='Javery']So I had a serious case of the flu. Knocked me out completely for 10 days and I'm still not 100% so needless to say I haven't been working out for the last 3+ weeks. Total bullshit. I'm going to start up again on Monday. I don't have a shower at home anymore so I have to go to the gym to shower anyway so all I have to do is get out of bed 90 minutes earlier and I'll be all set. Still, 5 a.m. is going to be a shock to my system.

I figure Memorial Day is the day I like to be in fighting shape and there is still plenty of time for that. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

No home shower? Care to elaborate? I'm intrigued.

[quote name='seanr1221']Making some nice size gains. I now need to wear larges, no more mediums!

Threw in my pic from the OP to show progress.

53C1F8CA-E48A-43DD-BFCF-C8108091A95E-4516-000001F9B4486575_zps844d30b1.jpg

229C1DE1-FAE6-4766-A386-420775B14489-4132-000001CFBDE4AB07_zpsf6eb16de.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Dude you're looking good. Not that you looked bad before but I think you benefited from having gained more mass. I need to consider adding weight myself

[quote name='seanr1221']Making some nice size gains. I now need to wear larges, no more mediums![/QUOTE]

Damn - you got jacked!

[quote name='DestroVega']No home shower? Care to elaborate? I'm intrigued.[/QUOTE]

I am in the middle of a large home addition project. 3 weeks ago they demoed our only full bathroom in the house. We have a 1/2 bath downstairs so we can still go to the bathroom. They also demoed our kitchen about 5 weeks ago so we have nothing except a microwave and the crock pot.

Over the weekend we had to completely empty our TV room so I took the TV off the wall and moved all the furniture to my parents' basement. We now have a 24" TV in the front entry room of the house with the Xbox hooked up - that's the only livable spot in the house right now! It is totally bananas at my house.

It is much tougher than I thought it was going to be to live through this but it will be so worth it in the end.

This morning I got up about an hour and 15 minutes early and was able to work out before the shower so that was good. I feel like I'm back on track.

Been thinking about partaking in this thread a while... finally gonna take the plunge. Long story short, I've gotten really out of shape. My weight right now is 193 lbs, which may not sound that bad, but I'm only 5'7. All my friends in my high school can't believe it's still me, I used to be super scrawny looking. Started using the tread-mill atleast an hour and a half a day for the last two weeks. Usually nets me 7-8 miles and 700-800 cals. Actually starting to feel pretty good after my workouts now! :) Hope to add some muscle but weight is my number one priority right now because my doctor told me I might be at risk of diabetes. (My chances are compounded because of my family history. Say, two months from now, I wanna be around 175-180. Also basically cut down to two meals and maybe some fruit/chocolate milk if I'm hungry between work. My girls is really slim and very pretty, I feel insecure some time being out of shape with her. Being the doll that she is, she's super supportive though.

Getting back into it. My wife bought me a fitbit for my bday so that is motivating me to start up again. I haven't weighed myself yet so I don't know how bad it will be but I am going to keep a close eye on what I eat. I am also changing jobs and will be 3 miles from home so that will definitely give me some extra time to work out. Not to mention eating healthier lunches versus eating out all the time.

I'm currently "bulking up" now as I'm tired of being skinny (I usually maintain 160-165ish and my leanest I was at 150-155) and am serious about getting to my goal of 180-190lbs at 6-8% body fat. It will definitely take a lot of time and effort but I am finally ready to do what it takes to get there.

That being said, I believe I've regained some lost muscle via muscle memory (mostly in the chest) so results are not disappointing. Unfortunately my body fat percentage has gone up a slight bit and my face is becoming too full although not exactly what you'd call fat.

I will experiment and see how I progress the first three months and if I don't gain too much weight I will continue for another three until I have done this for a total of six months. I will probably want to cut down and maintain for a little while. I will do another 3-6 months later and repeat until I have reached my goal lean body weight. I believe that by mid-2014 I will look a whole lot better than I currently do, especially if I keep this up.

There is no guarantee I will be able to put on as much muscle as I want to but I know I would have added a significant amount to my frame at least and I don't care if this is going to take me longer than that. I simply won't give up no matter what.

So I'm 2 weeks into exercising after recovering from the flu. I'm not out of shape right now (well, maybe a little) but last year I was in really really good shape and I want to go to there. Insanity was tough this morning but I'm not having any trouble motivating and getting to the gym (especially since I must go there to shower before work). I am having a little harder time than I thought reducing my food intake to sub-2000 calorie levels (I tend to eat some goldfish or pretzels right when I get home from work but before dinner which is annoying). That will come with time though.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I'm currently "bulking up" now as I'm tired of being skinny (I usually maintain 160-165ish and my leanest I was at 150-155) and am serious about getting to my goal of 180-190lbs at 6-8% body fat. It will definitely take a lot of time and effort but I am finally ready to do what it takes to get there.

That being said, I believe I've regained some lost muscle via muscle memory (mostly in the chest) so results are not disappointing. Unfortunately my body fat percentage has gone up a slight bit and my face is becoming too full although not exactly what you'd call fat.

I will experiment and see how I progress the first three months and if I don't gain too much weight I will continue for another three until I have done this for a total of six months. I will probably want to cut down and maintain for a little while. I will do another 3-6 months later and repeat until I have reached my goal lean body weight. I believe that by mid-2014 I will look a whole lot better than I currently do, especially if I keep this up.

There is no guarantee I will be able to put on as much muscle as I want to but I know I would have added a significant amount to my frame at least and I don't care if this is going to take me longer than that. I simply won't give up no matter what.[/QUOTE]

Keep your carb levels below 100g and you shouldn't gain much, if any, fat. How frequently are you lifting?

A little late for posting this, but between November 2011 and now I've lost about 60lbs, going from 220 to 160lb. I'm 6' so this is just about where I want to be. Where before I was a couch potato, ate what I felt like, and simply ignored the pot belly that was growing, I now workout 5 days a week with weights, and another with cardio (last day is for resting), and am actually starting to have my abs show. I've stopped eating almost all fast food and joke food, as well as most sweets, and I feel much better for it! Don't have any before pics I'm afraid, so after would be kinda useless, but just thought I'd share my little success story, as it's one of the few things in my life I'm really proud of

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back