CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Keep your carb levels below 100g and you shouldn't gain much, if any, fat. How frequently are you lifting?[/QUOTE]

IMO that's a rediculously low amount of carbs for bulking. You'd have to eat a ton of chicken to get enough calories in. For me, I've been sticking to 200g a day, and that's been working pretty well. Not sure how tall you are, but 30-40% of calories from carbs is a rather decent amount. Make sure your getting your healthy fats to, a lot of people forget them (I just eat a ton of peanut butter everyday). But obviously, I'm no health expert, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']A little late for posting this, but between November 2011 and now I've lost about 60lbs, going from 220 to 160lb. I'm 6' so this is just about where I want to be. Where before I was a couch potato, ate what I felt like, and simply ignored the pot belly that was growing, I now workout 5 days a week with weights, and another with cardio (last day is for resting), and am actually starting to have my abs show:bouncy:. I've stopped eating almost all fast food and joke food, as well as most sweets, and I feel much better for it! Don't have any before pics I'm afraid, so after would be kinda useless, but just thought I'd share my little success story, as it's one of the few things in my life I'm really proud of:D[/QUOTE]

Wow that is awesome. How the hell did you get all the way down to 160lbs.? I am also 6' and at the height of my kickass-ness last summer I was around 176-178 and I was pretty skinny. I wanted to lose another 8-10lbs. but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't do it. What is your secret?

[quote name='Javery']Wow that is awesome. How the hell did you get all the way down to 160lbs.? I am also 6' and at the height of my kickass-ness last summer I was around 176-178 and I was pretty skinny. I wanted to lose another 8-10lbs. but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't do it. What is your secret?[/QUOTE]

lol idk, I think I might have been 5'11'' at the start, so growing the extra inch could have helped. I was stuck at 180lb for a long time, but I just resolved to eat better, and cut my carbs down to under 100 a day. The weight feel off pretty fast, a little to fast actually. I'm having to eat a ton now, as my metabolism has gotten so much faster. Just eat right and workout and eventually you'll lose it. The best thing eating wise, is many small meals. Split your daily calories into 4-6 meals, and eat every 2-3 hours. Along with working out, this will make your metabolism go through the roof, and you the weight will leave easily. Trust me, I was eating 1500 and losing really slowing, now I eat 2700 and am gaining lb a day to gain some muscle. Good luck, hope you reach your goals.

EDIT: this was not sarcasm, I really do hope you get where you want to be

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']IMO that's a rediculously low amount of carbs for bulking. You'd have to eat a ton of chicken to get enough calories in. For me, I've been sticking to 200g a day, and that's been working pretty well. Not sure how tall you are, but 30-40% of calories from carbs is a rather decent amount. Make sure your getting your healthy fats to, a lot of people forget them (I just eat a ton of peanut butter everyday). But obviously, I'm no health expert, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.[/QUOTE]

Na, fat and protein are the way to go if you want to gain quality weight. Carbs are only good if you want to gain mass and not worry about composition. I'm 6'4" and regularly eat less than 50g a day, and after bottoming out at 207 pounds, I'm back up to 213. It's all about grassfed beef, eggs, salmon, etc.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Na, fat and protein are the way to go if you want to gain quality weight. Carbs are only good if you want to gain mass and not worry about composition. I'm 6'4" and regularly eat less than 50g a day, and after bottoming out at 207 pounds, I'm back up to 213. It's all about grassfed beef, eggs, salmon, etc.[/QUOTE]

I just think it would be hard to get enough calories on so few carbs. I know some can do it, but me personally, I just can't eat that much meat (already eating a ton). Whatever works, but carbs still have their place, as long as they're complex carbs (ie whole grain bread, oatmeal). Whatever works I suppose.

Edit: this was merely my opinion. I know very little and am happy for whoever has found something that works for them. I just meant we are all different and have different ways of going about our goals.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I just think it would be hard to get enough calories on so few carbs. I know some can do it, but me personally, I just can't eat that much meat (already eating a ton).[/QUOTE]

Swap out some of your chicken with red meat, add some fats. Probably wouldn't be as difficult as you think.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I just think it would be hard to get enough calories on so few carbs. I know some can do it, but me personally, I just can't eat that much meat (already eating a ton). Whatever works, but carbs still have their place, as long as they're complex carbs (ie whole grain bread, oatmeal). Whatever works I suppose;)[/QUOTE]

It's pretty easy, if you get down to it. 1/2 cup of almond meal pancakes and a few eggs supplies around 50g of fat, 35g of protein, and 10g of carbs, for about 630 calories. That's before adding any butter or coconut oil to cook with. You could easily get up to 800 calories with those added in the total, and a 1/2 cup of almond meal will make two decent sized pancakes. A full cup would easily put you over 1000 calories and only 20g of carbs. Adding healthy amounts of olive oil to salads is another way to boost caloric intake without racking up carb counts. And, as blindinglights said, eating more red meat in place of some chicken works wonders.

lol already went through a tub of peanut butter in 2+ weeks. Will have to get more when I get my paycheck (haven't been working for over a month). I eat chicken daily and sometimes other meats. It's not that difficult especially in Korea and I also opted for a meal plan at the university which usually serves meat and saves me some money. Of course I stock up on extra food since those meals alone aren't enough.

I have my protein shakes first thing in the morning, post workout and right before bed. I seem to have made some good progress but like I said I don't know if my face looks a little bigger due to bloat and/or gaining some fat. A bit of both perhaps. As long as my abs are still somewhat visible I'll continue bulking as long as I can (and try to do it cleaner in the process). Anyway I can cut back down easily so it's not too worrying but I'll have to stick with being ugly with an undefined face until the end of the school semester. But then... it'll be beach time and that will be worth it. And then bulk and cut again.

Does the protein shake in the morning give you cramps? I need to put something in my body when I wake up so when I'm at the gym 20 minutes later I have enough energy to finish my workout. I'm gassed at the end and there has to be something I can do...

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']A little late for posting this, but between November 2011 and now I've lost about 60lbs, going from 220 to 160lb. I'm 6' so this is just about where I want to be.[/QUOTE]
Really? I'm about the same height and at 160lbs I was lanky as fuck. I'm trying to get my lean mass up to at least 180.

[quote name='Allnatural']Really? I'm about the same height and at 160lbs I was lanky as fuck. I'm trying to get my lean mass up to at least 180.[/QUOTE]

IDK, I think I look alright

Edit: was not sarcasm, somehow it came off as such.

[quote name='blindinglights']Swap out some of your chicken with red meat, add some fats. Probably wouldn't be as difficult as you think.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I can't stand red meat, and I think it would be pushing it with my half vegetarian family to start cooking that every day (they already get grossed out by the chicken)

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']It's pretty easy, if you get down to it. 1/2 cup of almond meal pancakes and a few eggs supplies around 50g of fat, 35g of protein, and 10g of carbs, for about 630 calories. That's before adding any butter or coconut oil to cook with. You could easily get up to 800 calories with those added in the total, and a 1/2 cup of almond meal will make two decent sized pancakes. A full cup would easily put you over 1000 calories and only 20g of carbs. Adding healthy amounts of olive oil to salads is another way to boost caloric intake without racking up carb counts. And, as blindinglights said, eating more red meat in place of some chicken works wonders.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, never heard of almond meal pancakes, but I've been missing normal pancakes so I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestions, though I really don't like eating tons of eggs with all the cholesterol (paranoid? a little maybe). And as I said I REALLY don't like red meat:whistle2:#

It's been a while since I've posted in here, but I'm now down 20 pounds, to 182. Hoping to be 165 prior to my wedding which is in mid June so I'm feeling good about it. That was my weight back in college, and I figure it's probably not too, too bad for somebody who's 5'9.

Definitely have lowered my food intake/junk food, which was always my down fall. Also been using the weight machine I picked up for my garage and running more consistently. I'm still playing in my hockey league and have also noticed I have more endurance during it, which has been nice.

[quote name='Javery']I need to put something in my body when I wake up so when I'm at the gym 20 minutes later I have enough energy to finish my workout. I'm gassed at the end and there has to be something I can do...[/QUOTE]

Half cup (sometimes 2/3 cup) of oatmeal and a couple tablespoons of peanut butter always gives me plenty of energy for my workouts.

I always try to eat at least an hour beforehand though.

[quote name='blindinglights']I always try to eat at least an hour beforehand though.[/QUOTE]

This is the part I'm struggling with I'm up around 5:15 and by 5:35-5:40 I've started my workout. I'm worried about cramping up. I'll try the oatmeal though. Maybe just a little bit will do the trick.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']IDK, I think I look alright:roll:[/QUOTE]
That's cool. We all have different goals, and you obiously did good in losing the weight. :)

Damn daylight savings. I was up, dressed and in the car before I noticed that I overslept by an hour and had to just shower at the gym and go back home. Arrrgghhhh!!!!

[quote name='Allnatural']That's cool. We all have different goals, and you obiously did good in losing the weight. :)[/QUOTE]

thanks, but I am trying to gain the weight back (only, hopefully muscle instead of fat this time). My goal is to be between 170lbs and 180lbs with 9-11% bodyfat. Will take a while, but I just have to keep going

[quote name='perdition(troy']Don't worry about the numbers so much as long as your bmi is fine, focus on how you look in the mirror.[/QUOTE]

Looking bloated, not sure why. I only gained .4lb last week, but I feel like I look a lot less muscular:( I don't know if I'm just thinking that, as my measurements have been pretty steady through all of this

I'm going to be honest with you, if you're going to be a dick in this topic just move on and post else where. This is the second time in as many days that you have been rude to the regulars in the thread. We have all been on this journey together; we've been here to help each other and don't need the sarcasm.

Edit: and idk if you are just choosing terrible emotions and it is coming across as sarcasm. In that case just change those lol

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'm going to be honest with you, if you're going to be a dick in this topic just move on and post else where. This is the second time in as many days that you have been rude to the regulars in the thread. We have all been on this journey together; we've been here to help each other and don't need the sarcasm.

Edit: and idk if you are just choosing terrible emotions and it is coming across as sarcasm. In that case just change those lol[/QUOTE]

Not sure if your responding to me, but I never meant any offense. Maybe I should stop using the smileys, I think they're giving the wrong impression. I've been completely serious. I really don't know what what is coming off as sarcastic, but I'll remove the smileys and leave if it's really a problem. Really, I'm not trying to be rude at all, it's just coming across wrong

Ya that's what I figured after re-reading everything. I didn't mean to sound too harsh we have just had some rude people make their way in and out of the thread lol. It was definitely the smilies.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Ya that's what I figured after re-reading everything. I didn't mean to sound too harsh we have just had some rude people make their way in and out of the thread lol. It was definitely the smilies.[/QUOTE]

I'll be sure to lay off them then. I just have a tendency to use them to much when I can't decide what punctuation I should end with (a period feels weird sometimes). No hard feelings:)

Pulled 365 on deadlifts today

E171235A-87E6-4FDF-9217-7812A227644F-7822-000003A4767EC9F3_zps9ce5052e.jpg

[quote name='seanr1221']Pulled 365 on deadlifts today

funny seanr picture[/QUOTE]

Looking bigger!

Dat 365 is awesome. Hitting that 4 plate on each side is in your reach!

On my way down to 165lbs from 178lbs. Then go back up a few pounds before my tournament in June.

[quote name='Javery']Why are your shoes off?

I'm pretty sure that would destroy my back![/QUOTE]

Like the link above, it's best shoeless :)

Also deadlifts are primarily a hamstring exercise, your back should be fine with proper form ;)

[quote name='j-cart']Looking bigger!

Dat 365 is awesome. Hitting that 4 plate on each side is in your reach!

On my way down to 165lbs from 178lbs. Then go back up a few pounds before my tournament in June.[/QUOTE]

What are you shooting for on your 1rm? I hope to hit 405 by mid summer. Starting my cut tomorrow to lose 20 pounds so its gonna be pretty tough not eating as much n

I did curls with the straight bar this morning and the girl standing next to me was doing the exact same exercise but 40lbs. heavier (the weights, not her). I think she was laughing at me. Damn whippersnappers.

[quote name='Javery']I did curls with the straight bar this morning and the girl standing next to me was doing the exact same exercise but 40lbs. heavier (the weights, not her). I think she was laughing at me. Damn whippersnappers.[/QUOTE]

Dang, 40lbs! How ridiculously huge was she, I don't know a lot of girls that could do 40lbs to start, let alone added onto whatever your doing

Twelve days in, four pounds down. Wanna just stop some days but been true to my diet. Intake lowered to around 1200-1300 calories of food. That fifteen pounds by May seems in sight now!

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Dang, 40lbs! How ridiculously huge was she, I don't know a lot of girls that could do 40lbs to start, let alone added onto whatever your doing[/QUOTE]

I am a light lifter. I mainly focus on low weight / high reps. I do not want to put on mass of any kind but I'm always trying to get a little more definition. Anyway, I was curling with the bar (45 lbs.) and she was curling with the bar + two 10lb. weights on each side. Her legs are like tree trunks and I'm pretty sure she could kick my ass.... easily.

[quote name='seanr1221']Pulled 365 on deadlifts today

E171235A-87E6-4FDF-9217-7812A227644F-7822-000003A4767EC9F3_zps9ce5052e.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Badass!

I wish I could do deadlifts. Working out at home, in an apartment, prevents it.

I have hit 210lbs on the Romanian deadlift though, for reps. Feeling good about that. :)

[quote name='RealDeals']Twelve days in, four pounds down. Wanna just stop some days but been true to my diet. Intake lowered to around 1200-1300 calories of food. That fifteen pounds by May seems in sight now![/QUOTE]

1200 calories is awfully low. What's your current height/weight now?

"On 1400 calories, most men will lose more than the recommended two pounds per week and place themselves at risk for deprivation and binge eating. It's better to aim for a moderate calorie intake that gives you the opportunity to practice healthy eating in real-life situations. If you want to lose more calories, increase your physical activity because activity promotes fat loss and regulates the appetite."

-Calories.com

[quote name='seanr1221']Holy shit I weighed myself I'm at 200 pounds hahahaha.

Ok one more cycle of my program and ill cut I swear. :)[/QUOTE]

I had that revelation last week when I tipped the scale at 210...how the heck did I put on 20 LBS in 9 months?!?!

Oh, yeah...I like food. :lol:

Funny thing is, everyone says I look better. And I still have all the energy, I can still run 6 miles, and even my clothes fit just fine. Weird.

[quote name='Number83']I had that revelation last week when I tipped the scale at 210...how the heck did I put on 20 LBS in 9 months?!?!

Funny thing is, everyone says I look better. And I still have all the energy, I can still run 6 miles, and even my clothes fit just fine. Weird.[/QUOTE]

I'm kinda glad I am not the only person who put on a winter coat. I was so proud to go from 300lbs down to 220lbs. When I weighed in at the beginning of Feb I was 245lbs(!) again. :cry: Once everything warms up again though I will resume my 3 mile walks before work. If I had joined a gym for the winter it might not have become a problem. Live and learn.

I guess the upside to putting some of the weight back on is that my company's health insurance is making us earn 60 points this year to keep our discount on our premium. If I lose 5 lbs in 5 weeks beginning on 3/8/13 I get 30 of the points I need to knock $100 a month off the insurance.

This morning I weighed in at 235lbs I already accomplished the goal. Time to log it on the healthy roads page now.

[quote name='perdition(troy']did you start WEIGHT LIFTING!!!![/QUOTE]
:lol:

I did, which is where I think (hope) most of the weight gain is from. I still hate it though. And I get super hungry after doing it, more so than just the cardio I was doing. Again, that probably is where the gain came from as well.

[quote name='Habbler']I'm kinda glad I am not the only person who put on a winter coat. I was so proud to go from 300lbs down to 220lbs. When I weighed in at the beginning of Feb I was 245lbs(!) again. :cry: Once everything warms up again though I will resume my 3 mile walks before work. If I had joined a gym for the winter it might not have become a problem. Live and learn.

I guess the upside to putting some of the weight back on is that my company's health insurance is making us earn 60 points this year to keep our discount on our premium. If I lose 5 lbs in 5 weeks beginning on 3/8/13 I get 30 of the points I need to knock $100 a month off the insurance.

This morning I weighed in at 235lbs I already accomplished the goal. Time to log it on the healthy roads page now.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, that's still tremendous progress. And those are some decent incentives to get back in the game.

I feel the same way about the weather, I was glad I did the weightlifting/limited cardio during the winter. Now I can go back to strict cardio/no weightlifting. Actually, didn't plan on doing it that way, but it seems to have worked out.

Now, I just have to check that in mentally.

[quote name='seanr1221']
What are you shooting for on your 1rm? I hope to hit 405 by mid summer. Starting my cut tomorrow to lose 20 pounds so its gonna be pretty tough not eating as much n[/QUOTE]

I can still pull 365lbs on fresh day. I am pretty sure if I spend 5-6 weeks on it, then 405lb would be a quick grab (I have done 405lb before but my weight was around 180lbs), however my goals are not to go for 1rm on my lifts right now.

I am currently practicing my weight loss/energy management for an upcoming tournament in late June. Trying to make sure I get to that solid 165lbs but also be conditioning shape. My weight right now is 173lbs, so I am not far off from my goal, which I expect to hit in 3-4 weeks.

Right now my lifting workout is usually 4-6 lifts for only three times a week and three "half" workouts that I do before I do my sprint workouts. I have been spending more time practicing jiu jitsu (10 hours with the school during the week and 3-4 hours with others on the weekend), which is what I am trying to compete for in June. Got 4th in my last tournament, but the only spot I want is #1 :D

Careful dropping 20lbs. That is a complete body transformation right there. I never try to gain or lose more than 12-15lbs at one time. Anything more than that does takes a toll on the body. Last time I dropped more than 15lbs (it was like 190 to 175-173lbs in 2010) I ended up injuring my legs, pulled groins, hams and quads (split between both legs). It sucked and since then I try to make sure that if I want to lose/gain weight that will change body sizes is to break it down into two parts, lose 5-6lbs and maintain, then after 3-4 weeks I go for the rest.

In light of that, good luck! Pretty sure your lady friend is going to enjoy the weight loss :p

[quote name='Number83']I had that revelation last week when I tipped the scale at 210...how the heck did I put on 20 LBS in 9 months?!?!

Funny thing is, everyone says I look better. And I still have all the energy, I can still run 6 miles, and even my clothes fit just fine. Weird.[/QUOTE]

Muscle weighs more :p

So how do you guys feel about isolation forearm training? I've been adding in 20-25x1 wrist curls and a 1 minute static hang/hanging crunch at the end of my chest/tricep workouts, but I'm wondering if this is worth it or if I'm doing to little. I haven't noticed any significant size gains on my measly 11" forearms, so clearly I'm doing something wrong:(

bread's done
Back