CAG Madden 09 League #2 - CLOSED

I am available to take over for a team if needed. I suck, but am online 4-5 times a week. I also don't cheat. As long as everyone here doesn't cheat, I don't mind taking an ass kicking fairly.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I have Fifa, NBA 2k9, Rock Band, GHWT you know games from companies that actually fix problems and make improvements.[/quote]

Well, I guess it depends whether you're a football fan or a video game fan. I'll still be playing Madden in October because that's just when the NFL season will be getting good. I can't wait until NBA 2K9 comes out as nothing more than a rehashed 2K8. Don't act as if Madden is the only game to ever have any problems.

Also, if this league is dead, so is Azu's because 50% of the players are in both leagues. I've been in touch with my week 4 opponents for both leagues, and while they've responded to me, there doesn't seem to be much effort to get a time set up.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, I guess it depends whether you're a football fan or a video game fan. I'll still be playing Madden in October because that's just when the NFL season will be getting good. I can't wait until NBA 2K9 comes out as nothing more than a rehashed 2K8. Don't act as if Madden is the only game to ever have any problems.

Also, if this league is dead, so is Azu's because 50% of the players are in both leagues. I've been in touch with my week 4 opponents for both leagues, and while they've responded to me, there doesn't seem to be much effort to get a time set up.[/quote]

Spoiler to keep the thread neat.

You got to be shitting me? NBA 2k9 a rehash? They have already announced a good 9 completely new features for this year. On top of being the best NBA game anyway. Your dreaming if you think its a rehash. But the thing about NBA 2k is the fact that it plays like a real basketball game and if its in a real NBA game its at least attempted to be put in NBA 2k. Where as madden cant even get refs in their game.

Also, I am a football fan which is why I cant stomach madden for more than a couple months because it plays nothing like a real football game should. Dont take my word for it...just search on youtube for apexisfree and you can find thousand of videos that show how completely broken the game is in some aspects.

Here the problem. (First let me say I am not blowing up at you just at madden fans in general I got nothing but love for ya :lol:)

Look if you are a madden fan, more love to ya. You can be a fan of whatever you like. I just cant see how madden fans can honestly say. "Yes, after 20 years I am very happy with madden despite not having, refs, chain gang, annoucers that actually sound good, a franchise mode that actually works, good AI thats not completely broken 60% of the time. Its 20 years of working on the same game.

First let me say this. I never played or owned NFL 2k anything. (expect 2k8)

Madden fans seem to forget that its a franchise. A franchise that have been working on for 20 years, you would think by now it would be perfect. EA doesnt have to reinvent the wheel with each addition. Yes every game has problems but only Madden has the same god damn problems year after year. The same glitches, and broken AI that was in madden 05 (the last one that I played) is still in madden 09. Rocket Catches, Jet Packing, Nano Blitzes, Glitches, Glitches and more glitches reak havoc on madden year after year.

Not only that it seems to somehow loose features every year while being replaced by even shittier gimmicks. Great job spending an entire year on the VT and Madden IQ then taking out sliders. Good thing both of those are completely broken and worthless bury those right next to the vision cone and the Radio Announcer.

And the presentation? Pfft. Again I never played 2k5 the holy grail or whatever people like to call it. But I have seen video's of it. And damn, they got post game, half time, pre game, weekly shows whole 9 yards.

20 years and madden cant even get refs on the field.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Spoiler to keep the thread neat.

You got to be shitting me? NBA 2k9 a rehash? They have already announced a good 9 completely new features for this year. On top of being the best NBA game anyway. Your dreaming if you think its a rehash. But the thing about NBA 2k is the fact that it plays like a real basketball game and if its in a real NBA game its at least attempted to be put in NBA 2k. Where as madden cant even get refs in their game.

Also, I am a football fan which is why I cant stomach madden for more than a couple months because it plays nothing like a real football game should. Dont take my word for it...just search on youtube for apexisfree and you can find thousand of videos that show how completely broken the game is in some aspects.

Here the problem. (First let me say I am not blowing up at you just at madden fans in general I got nothing but love for ya :lol:)

Look if you are a madden fan, more love to ya. You can be a fan of whatever you like. I just cant see how madden fans can honestly say. "Yes, after 20 years I am very happy with madden despite not having, refs, chain gang, annoucers that actually sound good, a franchise mode that actually works, good AI thats not completely broken 60% of the time. Its 20 years of working on the same game.

First let me say this. I never played or owned NFL 2k anything. (expect 2k8)

Madden fans seem to forget that its a franchise. A franchise that have been working on for 20 years, you would think by now it would be perfect. EA doesnt have to reinvent the wheel with each addition. Yes every game has problems but only Madden has the same god damn problems year after year. The same glitches, and broken AI that was in madden 05 (the last one that I played) is still in madden 09. Rocket Catches, Jet Packing, Nano Blitzes, Glitches, Glitches and more glitches reak havoc on madden year after year.

Not only that it seems to somehow loose features every year while being replaced by even shittier gimmicks. Great job spending an entire year on the VT and Madden IQ then taking out sliders. Good thing both of those are completely broken and worthless bury those right next to the vision cone and the Radio Announcer.

And the presentation? Pfft. Again I never played 2k5 the holy grail or whatever people like to call it. But I have seen video's of it. And damn, they got post game, half time, pre game, weekly shows whole 9 yards.

20 years and madden cant even get refs on the field.
[/quote]

Continued conversation with Soodmeg. Madden and the ESPN license.

First off, I love the 2K basketball series. I've been playing it since 2K2. I own 2K8, which is the main reason I'm not even considering 2K9. It's not necessarily a knock on 2K9, but I've decided that one year is not enough time for a sports game to make drastic changes. So, unless basketball is your main sport. Which if it is, I'm sorry...then I understand how you feel. Baseball is my main sport, and I buy the best MLB game (which this year was The Show) every year, no matter what.

And with Madden, I hear where you're coming from man, and I can understand your frustration. But I'm sorry, I do think some of the videos of Madden being "broken" are propaganda. Not saying they're fake..not at all, but just that they're exploits...taken advantage of situations the game was never programmed to handle.

I don't think Madden is as good as it could (or even SHOULD be), but what are you using for comparison? If it's just your expectations, you'll always be disappointed. To me, it's as good of a football sim as has ever existed (and I bought 2K5 on release). I think we would have seen bigger improvements and things being fixed year to year had it not been for the exclusive contract with the NFL. I wouldn't expect the NFL to know it (all they see are $$$), but that's the worst thing that could have happened for video game football. 2K even tried to pretend that having real NFL teams didn't matter, but we saw what a half-assed effort they gave us with 2K8.

I agree with you 100% on presentation though. The biggest thing I'm mad at EA about is not making better use of the ESPN license. NFL 2K5 did have a pregame, halftime, and "Sportscenter" show with Chris Berman that was the most amazing example of presentation I've ever seen. When I heard that EA had bought the rights to ESPN, my imagination ran wild with ways they could improve on this. Instead, they've used it to have an ESPN "sports ticker" along the bottom of the screen (oh, and of course ESPN radio in Madden 08). To me, that's pathetic.

When 2K5 finally went BC about a year ago, I fired it back up, and honestly, its gameplay has plenty of holes, and the animations are a bit jumpy. But the thing that made 2K5 legendary was that it felt complete. It was full of gameplay modes (including an online league...not that I was able to ever get through a season because of last gen online structure, and people quitting left and right) and its presentation was second to none. THOSE are the things EA should have nailed with 09. If they had, nobody would have noticed holes in the gameplay.

I think that eventually once we boot the bad seeds, the league will function.
It could take a while though.
I think in a couple weeks I'm going to start giving people multiple teams if they want them.

[quote name='Azumangaman']I think that eventually once we boot the bad seeds, the league will function.
It could take a while though.
I think in a couple weeks I'm going to start giving people multiple teams if they want them.[/quote]

I think you're right. I know ideally, everybody would want dedicated players right from the get go, but that's unrealistic, and the reason why 99% of leagues just die. At least the leagues here have the option of adjusting and moving on. It's a bit of a painstaking process, but what's the alternative? Most other leagues would be abandoned by this point. I think you guys have done a hell of a job!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Continued conversation with Soodmeg. Madden and the ESPN license.

First off, I love the 2K basketball series. I've been playing it since 2K2. I own 2K8, which is the main reason I'm not even considering 2K9. It's not necessarily a knock on 2K9, but I've decided that one year is not enough time for a sports game to make drastic changes. So, unless basketball is your main sport. Which if it is, I'm sorry...then I understand how you feel. Baseball is my main sport, and I buy the best MLB game (which this year was The Show) every year, no matter what.

And with Madden, I hear where you're coming from man, and I can understand your frustration. But I'm sorry, I do think some of the videos of Madden being "broken" are propaganda. Not saying they're fake..not at all, but just that they're exploits...taken advantage of situations the game was never programmed to handle.

I don't think Madden is as good as it could (or even SHOULD be), but what are you using for comparison? If it's just your expectations, you'll always be disappointed. To me, it's as good of a football sim as has ever existed (and I bought 2K5 on release). I think we would have seen bigger improvements and things being fixed year to year had it not been for the exclusive contract with the NFL. I wouldn't expect the NFL to know it (all they see are $$$), but that's the worst thing that could have happened for video game football. 2K even tried to pretend that having real NFL teams didn't matter, but we saw what a half-assed effort they gave us with 2K8.

I agree with you 100% on presentation though. The biggest thing I'm mad at EA about is not making better use of the ESPN license. NFL 2K5 did have a pregame, halftime, and "Sportscenter" show with Chris Berman that was the most amazing example of presentation I've ever seen. When I heard that EA had bought the rights to ESPN, my imagination ran wild with ways they could improve on this. Instead, they've used it to have an ESPN "sports ticker" along the bottom of the screen (oh, and of course ESPN radio in Madden 08). To me, that's pathetic.

When 2K5 finally went BC about a year ago, I fired it back up, and honestly, its gameplay has plenty of holes, and the animations are a bit jumpy. But the thing that made 2K5 legendary was that it felt complete. It was full of gameplay modes (including an online league...not that I was able to ever get through a season because of last gen online structure, and people quitting left and right) and its presentation was second to none. THOSE are the things EA should have nailed with 09. If they had, nobody would have noticed holes in the gameplay.
[/quote]

And that folks is how you write a detailed focused come back. Damn good show my friend damn good. :applause:

[quote name='Soodmeg']And that folks is how you write a detailed focused come back. Damn good show my friend damn good. :applause:[/quote]

haha, thanks man. I enjoy a good debate :argue:

i'd be interested in taking any team that is free when i get my copy of the game, which should be in a day or so. i'll tell you guys when i get it, so you can let me know if any team is open.

[quote name='Wanderlai']W4 game.

Panthers 35 Falcons 14

Defensive game believe it or not.[/quote]

Yeah me throwing 3 pics and getting sacked 100290 times really sucked :(

It was kinda laggy for me too. Like a real subtle 1 second delay from me pressing the button to a result on the game. Really sucks cause timing is everything for a lot of plays but w/e.

This is for my buddy Soodmeg: See man, it could be worse. Madden could be THIS bad, haha :lol:

watch

After my beating at the hands of neworlbush25, my Xbox has decided to throw up the RR of Death/ Unplayable Disc errors. Got my xbox coffin coming this week, gonna be out of commision for like 2 weeks, I hope to catch up with the games Im gonna miss once I get it back

My Xbox just red ringed during a COD4 match with CAGs. It froze, then when I tried to restart it, bam, red ring. Unlike the first time (where it also froze during COD4) there were no warning signs.

So yeah, I won't be available to play for a few weeks.

[quote name='Matt Young']My Xbox just red ringed during a COD4 match with CAGs. It froze, then when I tried to restart it, bam, red ring. Unlike the first time (where it also froze during COD4) there were no warning signs.

So yeah, I won't be available to play for a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='soliddragon']After my beating at the hands of neworlbush25, my Xbox has decided to throw up the RR of Death/ Unplayable Disc errors. Got my xbox coffin coming this week, gonna be out of commision for like 2 weeks, I hope to catch up with the games Im gonna miss once I get it back[/QUOTE]

Mine went RROD right after week 2. I just got it back.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Is anyone gonna ever replace the Steelers? That is the only game I need to play.[/quote]

we haven't even seen a post from the commish in a week.

....../\......./\......./\....../\.............................................................
Beep Beep Beep Beep Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep............DEAD

CLEAR!! bzzzzzt

Back to life.

Just let me get all of this worked out. All of this RRoD stuff has me confused.

Alright, there is NO WAY we are moving onto the next week if NONE of the Week 4 games have been played. I'm going to wait to move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dog, done and done. I will just express my feelings just to see if anyone else feels the same.

We cant even stay above the motherfucking mega man thread.

Shits is done dude. Fun (not really it actually really frustrating) while it lasted I thank everyone for joining and trying it out but both leagues are a no go.

We got the same 5 people talking to themselves in both threads I still havent seen a post from like half the people in the league yet. We got like 3 games done in the last like 4 days.

If this wasnt a CAG league I would have bailed a long time ago. This is 80% hassle and I do not know why. I dont know if its the people, the timing, the fix shedule instead of flex hell maybe the economy, just dont know. But this clearly isnt working its just puttering along at a snails pace waiting to die. And that would be fine if we wanted a slow going league but like I said half this cats havent even been in this thread since the first week. Its the same 5 of us talking to each other.

I dont know how you can join a league and never check the league thread. Or check it one or 2 times and then just wait for a pm for 2 weeks. I dont buy into this pming stuff. Pming is fine of having an branch of the league but all of it should be centralized in the league thread.

But I dont know what the deal is. Maybe the league was simply to large and thinking that 32 people will stay in it for 17 weeks was just to much. I still dont really want to bail on you guys but I am not chasing mofos down and like I said if this didnt come together by Oct I was ghosting out because there are far to many good games coming out this month and so little time to play them.

If you guys make a smaller league of like 10 people hit me up but this "Oh I talked to my opponent 2 weeks ago and havent heard back" shit is for the birds and I dont have time to deal with that.

Again, thanks Jagged and Azu for trying you get a lot of props from me.

[quote name='shinryuu']Week 4
Eagles (me) - 10
Bears (Plutarski) - 0

A very defensive game for the first three quarters. Only TD happened in the 4th. TOs from both teams early on. Orton was out for one drive and that's when I started to blitz. Here's my personal highlight in the game-
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/654300

QB sneak never sneaks up on me. =][/quote]
none of the week 4 games are done? I finished a loooong time ago...

Soodmeg, I've been thinking the same thing for awhile now, but I was just hesitant to say it.

This league, as it is now, will not work. I could try as hard as possible to keep it alive, but I don't see the point. Interest has died WAY down since launch, and I don't feel like putting the necessary work into this, when I get little in return from most of the rest of the league.

So as of tomorrow, I will be shutting down this league. If you would still like to play, remember that there is another league available.

Sorry for any inconvienience, and I thank those of you who stuck through the league until now.

How about doing a small ten man league online? I am still in AZU's league but I am sure we can get ten dedicated people for a league.

Um...not to nominate myself or anything, haha, but I'd be up for organizing/running a smaller, more committed league. I run the MLB 08: The Show 2.0 league on the PS3 board, and while we've had a bit of a rollercoaster ride, we're still going strong.

No offense to Azu or Jagged, but my biggest pet peeve with these leagues was how outdated the OP's could get (for the sake of reference: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190496)

Actually, I'm kinda sad to see this league go (I was 3-0 with the freakin Rams dammit! lol). And I'm really digging Matt Young's line of thinking. But I say make the criteria number of posts.

I think the whole crux of the league's success is PARTICIPATION. If you're not a regular poster on the board (kinda going along with what Soodmeg touched on earlier), then there's no way in hell you'll be on top of things enough to get your games played. Let me know what you guys think, and feel free to shoot me down like an Iraqi scud missile, haha :lol:

I would be down for that. I just got into Az's other league, but already have played a league game and am chomping for more. I can't get any of my future opponents to respond and would love to roll with a smaller, dedicated league. I will stick with Az's too, but if one gets off the ground here, I am willing to participate and see it through.

Agree that a smaller league, solely filled with dedicated players, is the way to go. It's difficult, if not impossible, to keep track of 32 players and make sure they all get their games in on time, don't drop out, etc. but it can be done with a signficantly smaller group.

I would be down for such a league.

I think n8 would be a great gm and had done a great job as commish in our MLB the show league which I am a part of ( I am terrible in mlb the show btw but I'm still. Plugging away)
I have no problem backing n8 on this and would like to be in this league as the giants.

[quote name='Matt Young']We should make it a rule that you have to be here at least a year before you can participate in, and especially create, a league.[/quote]

fuck that... I haven't been here a year, I don't think, and I haven't flaked on any league... the only game i didnt play in this league was our game Matt, and your XBOX RROD'ed the day we were set to play.

there are just going to be some bad apples, especially when u got 32 people going.

I would let n8 make the decision as to who is in and out using a combination of the following: post count, time as a cag member, patticpation in other cag leagues, games completed in this league and azus' league among other things.

[quote name='DestroVega']fuck that... I haven't been here a year, I don't think, and I haven't flaked on any league... the only game i didnt play in this league was our game Matt, and your XBOX RROD'ed the day we were set to play.

there are just going to be some bad apples, especially when u got 32 people going.[/QUOTE]

You have been here a year. I'm not saying all users who haven't been around that long will flake, but there is a problem.

All right, that's enough positive feedback for me, haha. I'm working on it right now. This more "serious" league will have a brief application to join. I'm going to shoot for 12-15 teams. The qualifications for joining will be activity on CAG. If you're a frequent poster and are active in the community, you will have a spot...even if it surpasses my 15 team expectation.

If we hit around the 12-15 team mark, we COULD even consider using the in-game league system, but I'll leave that up to majority vote. I'm working on a new thread now, so hopefully I'll be ready for sign-ups soon. Get pumped guys!!! Since everybody is familiar with the game now, this should be some stiff competition.

Cool. Looking forward to it.
I'm working tonight though, and if your going to start that league, could you save a spot for me? Just in case I miss everything...
I don't know, am I legit enough :p?

[quote name='DestroVega']fuck that... I haven't been here a year, I don't think, and I haven't flaked on any league... the only game i didnt play in this league was our game Matt, and your XBOX RROD'ed the day we were set to play.

there are just going to be some bad apples, especially when u got 32 people going.[/quote]

Simma down na!! haha ;) And yeah, where's your calendar Destro? Aug 2007 - Oct 2008. You'd fit the bill. But I'm not doing it that way anyway. There are plenty of lurkers who have been here for years who don't contribute shit and have a "take, take, take" mentality. That wouldn't do us any good in a league.

When people say "Sounds cool! I'll join!" I'm going to look at their stats and see if they deserve to play in this league. I don't want to come off as an elitist prick, but I have full intentions of making this league *ahem* THE SHIT. Therefore, you gotta have the cred to play, and I'll analyze it on a case by case basis. Simple as that. :D

[quote name='Azumangaman']Cool. Looking forward to it.
I'm working tonight though, and if your going to start that league, could you save a spot for me? Just in case I miss everything...
I don't know, am I legit enough :p?[/quote]

Don't worry, sign ups will take more than a night. I may even drug test, haha j/k ;)

bread's done
Back