CAG MLB Season Discussion

By the way, people in Miami like baseball, and the seats will be filled once the Marlins get a new owner. A lot of Marlins fans don't buy tickets, because they don't want to give money to Jeff Loria.
While I reserve the right to joke about the turnout at the games, I at least respect that reasoning.

So, the Nats are getting their asses kicked. Again. Let's see what's on my not-blocked GAME1 Extra Innings channel.

Oh! It's the White Sox vs. the Orioles!

Whelp, no baseball for me tonight.

By the way, people in Miami like baseball, and the seats will be filled once the Marlins get a new owner. A lot of Marlins fans don't buy tickets, because they don't want to give money to Jeff Loria.
What's the story behind that? What's he done that the fans don't like?

What's the story behind that? What's he done that the fans don't like?
He trades good young players, before they hit their prime, because he doesn't want to pay them.

He also lied to the taxpayers of Miami when the Marlins where trying to build a new stadium, saying that he couldn't afford to build the stadium, and that the team was not turning a profit. It was later revealed that the team was turning a fairly hefty profit, so basically he tricked the tax payers in Miami to pay for the new stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regional blackout on MLB.tv, but I caught a little in the break room at work.  Do they really need the public address announcer to announce the hitters?

LOL, the orioles are actually playing better with no home fans, or jeff samja is a worst pitcher than ubaldo.

Regional blackout on MLB.tv, but I caught a little in the break room at work. Do they really need the public address announcer to announce the hitters?
Technically, yes, as it is not an official at bat otherwise. Hence why managers wait for the announcement before changing pitchers.

Hoping the Reds can take 2 of 3 against the Braves so they can get back over .500.

Is it just me or does anyone else find ESPN.com's new format irritating?

Regional blackout on MLB.tv, but I caught a little in the break room at work. Do they really need the public address announcer to announce the hitters?
Yes because you could pull someone for a pinch hitter as long as they haven't been announced yet. For example instead of a speedy pinch hitter to get on base you could put in a more power hitter if the previous guy got a double or whatever.

Comes up more in the NL b/c of pinch hitters for the pitcher.

Should I be worried the Cards will burn themselves out with this fast start ala Milwaukee last year, especially with no Wainwright?

Technically, yes, as it is not an official at bat otherwise. Hence why managers wait for the announcement before changing pitchers.
Yes because you could pull someone for a pinch hitter as long as they haven't been announced yet. For example instead of a speedy pinch hitter to get on base you could put in a more power hitter if the previous guy got a double or whatever.

Comes up more in the NL b/c of pinch hitters for the pitcher.
I didn't realize the "official announcement" in that case came from the PA, I thought it was some acknowledgment from the home plate umpire and the PA announcement was for the spectators.

I didn't realize the "official announcement" in that case came from the PA, I thought it was some acknowledgment from the home plate umpire and the PA announcement was for the spectators.
I didn't know this either until he pointed it out.

Enjoy Ichiro while you can. At 41, he did great as a starter for the Marlins outfield when the usual starter was out. I try to watch all of his at-bats. 

Enjoy Ichiro while you can. At 41, he did great as a starter for the Marlins outfield when the usual starter was out. I try to watch all of his at-bats.
I certainly have been enjoying having him on the Marlins. He can play any position in the outfield, and he has even been a pretty good pinch hitter this year. I really hope he comes back next year, for a chance to get 3,000 hits.

I certainly have been enjoying having him on the Marlins. He can play any position in the outfield, and he has even been a pretty good pinch hitter this year. I really hope he comes back next year, for a chance to get 3,000 hits.
Yea it's a shame he didn't play over here until 27. He probably would be looking at challenging Pete Rose's record if he had come over 5 years earlier, and there is a pretty good chance if he was within a few hundred of it he'd hang around until he broke it (most players would I think).

Speaking of records, A-Rod's already got 9 HR this year. You know if he gets to 700 he'd probably hang around until he was 50 to break that record. It's possible that some attendance starved teams would give him AB to do it too. Anyone think he has a better than 50/50 shot? I personally think he is going to break it.

Had he not missed a season and a half, I'd give him perhaps a 1 in 4 chance to break Bonds' mark. But he did, and he's turning 40 in July. Even if he finishes this season with 30 HR, he'll need to average over 25 a year for the next three years to put him in position to pass Bonds.

Had he not missed a season and a half, I'd give him perhaps a 1 in 4 chance to break Bonds' mark. But he did, and he's turning 40 in July. Even if he finishes this season with 30 HR, he'll need to average over 25 a year for the next three years to put him in position to pass Bonds.
I personally think that he'll play as long as he can with whomever he can to pass that mark... the question is will some team sign him for an attendance boost and give him those AB.

I'm rooting for A-Rod because everyone else hates him. I'm also looking forward to Josh Hamilton's first game back. 

The Marlins have named their GM Dan Jennings as the new manager. The last time he coached was 30 years ago at an Alabama high school. Definitely a Marlins kind of move. 

Who thinks Stanton is going to opt out of his contract when he gets the chance?
Yeah, the Marlins made a dumb decision with the new manager, but it could have been much worse. They could have hired Dusty Baker, and that would have been much, much worse. Honestly, I don't think the manager has as big of an impact in baseball as the coaches in other sports do. The team's problems this year are primarily from inconsistent play, not due to managerial mistakes.

Plus, the team is currently in the third year of rebuilding from the 2012 disaster. Stanton knows this, and realistically the best outcome for this season would be finishing above .500 and sniffing around a wild card spot at the end of the season.

Orioles fans can tell you, the right manager can make ALL the difference. So can Boston fans.

I love how Brian Matusz gets tossed for supposedly having something on his arm but Carter Capps can jump 2-3 feet in front of the rubber every single pitch with no reprocussions.

His pitching stance has been approved by the league though.

That's not what cost them the game either. :/

No, what cost them the game was the offense.

But the rule says you're not allowed to leave the rubber during your pitch while you have the ball. I have seen other pitchers get fined or warned about it when it was a mistake, so what makes him so special?

Jordan Walden has had the same delivery for years, and he's never been punished for it. It's not a big deal.

The only thing in the rulebook about disengaging the rubber is in regards to pickoffs. It says nothing about throwing pitches.

I'm loving this Cubs offense! It feels like they have a chance to come back from any defect! Rizzo had a nice game against ARZ with 6 RBI's! Now the Cubs are only 2.5 games behind STL in the NL Central. I know it's early in the season, but this Cubs team is really exciting to watch!

Jordan Walden has had the same delivery for years, and he's never been punished for it. It's not a big deal.

The only thing in the rulebook about disengaging the rubber is in regards to pickoffs. It says nothing about throwing pitches.
I just don't understand how he can pitch like that. The way he drags his foot makes me cringe every time, it looks like it really hurts.

So I have been hearing people complain about Chris Davis calling him strike out Davis .
Maybe these last few games should calm them down a bit after those homers he has been hitting .

One of the reasons people rail on Davis is because the team literally lives or dies on his shoulders. There was a stat a few weeks ago where the team had, like, an .800 winning percentage when he drives in an RBI and under .500 when he doesn't.

I'm excited to see how Carlos Correa does now that Houston has called him up. I've had him stashed on my fantasy bench for most of the season, so hopefully that pays off.

The Indians took Brady Aiken with the 17th overall pick in the draft today. He might have been better off taking the Astros lowball offer (especially since they later increased it). He's probably only going to get about half of the Astro's final offer of $5 million and who knows if he even makes it back from TJ surgery or makes the majors at all.

I don't know how the Rangers are nearly as competitive as they are with their no name bullpen and rotation. Hoping they can hold it together until the reinforcements come. Harry and Perez are starting or have started rehab assignments.

I have a feeling they are going to get me to bite on the fathers day deal and then shit the bed like last year.

Thank God the AL East is a shell of its former self or the Yankees would probably be buried already. They've been looking way better than they actually are thanks to a weak division. I have no disillusions about them contending this year, but I could easily see them at least returning to the playoffs. Weird year for the East thus far, but I'm not going to complain about first place. :)

I don't know how the Rangers are nearly as competitive as they are with their no name bullpen and rotation. Hoping they can hold it together until the reinforcements come. Harry and Perez are starting or have started rehab assignments.

I have a feeling they are going to get me to bite on the fathers day deal and then shit the bed like last year.
rangers are done, they are better off going into rebuilding mode, and selling. they had their chances at winning the ws. the division is probably going to belong the astros, angels, or maybe oaklands for the next few years.

Thank God the AL East is a shell of its former self or the Yankees would probably be buried already. They've been looking way better than they actually are thanks to a weak division. I have no disillusions about them contending this year, but I could easily see them at least returning to the playoffs. Weird year for the East thus far, but I'm not going to complain about first place. :)
i am more even impressed with the rays, especially with maddon and the supposed ex-manager who build the team Andrew Friedman left. they are staying competitive

Looks like Francisco Lindor and Byron Buxton will be making their debuts today. I'm excited to see what Buxton can do since most things I've read on him indicate he will be a 5 tool player someday (the power isn't there yet).

How about them O's lately. 11-3 vs the Yankees and I think last nights score was 9-4 ?

Maybe it's just me or I'm not watching the right show but, it seems the teams like the Yankees and Red Sox that have both been beaten by the O's are getting more attention . Is it just from them being super popular , or names like A rod and Ortiz ?

Maybe it's just me or I'm not watching the right show but, it seems the teams like the Yankees and Red Sox that have both been beaten by the O's are getting more attention . Is it just from them being super popular , or names like A rod and Ortiz ?
It's from being super popular and being on the East Coast. Those two teams will always receive attention even during a down season because of their huge fan bases that watch and read media. Unless the Yankees or Red Sox have a long drought without winning they will always have that.

bread's done
Back