CAG MLB Season Discussion

It's from being super popular and being on the East Coast. Those two teams will always receive attention even during a down season because of their huge fan bases that watch and read media. Unless the Yankees or Red Sox have a long drought without winning they will always have that.
One thing I have noticed is, that I don't see any mention of those two teams on any social media site/app when lose . When they win, my feeds are spammed with all kinds of stuff LOL . Fair weather fans perhaps ?
I don't see it too often when a team loses by more than 6 points and still get talked about more compared to the actual winning team . Oh well, just glad the O's have been winning more lately.

Part of it is also the division. The AL East has been crap for most of the year so most casuals have pretty much ignored it and focused on the Central and West divisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AL has been pretty mediocre this year. The AL East isn't that bad, outside of the Red Sox. I think the AL West a lot worse, the A's and Mariners are just awful. 

As bad as those two divisions are, the NL East is by far the worst division in either league. The entire division is dumpster fire, and unless the Nats get healthy, I could see a sub .500 team winning that division

As bad as those two divisions are, the NL East is by far the worst division in either league. The entire division is dumpster fire, and unless the Nats get healthy, I could see a sub .500 team winning that division
Kind of curious if that has ever happened before. With so many games against division opponents though, someone has to win them so it seems unlikely but it'd be something to see. I'd imagine it'd tick off the teams that didn't get a WC spot with a winning record to sit at home while a .500 or sub .500 team made it in.

A-Rod 5 hits away from 3000. For some reason with the high HR totals and as long as he's been playing it seems like he should have hit that milestone awhile back.

When Jeff Francoeur is your best pitcher and the other team gives up their DH, you know the Phillies have had a rough night.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/masnSteve/status/610990030333562880?s=09

Poor ol phillies, 19-3 and the game isn't even over yet.
I might actually watch this tomorrow once I see how to watch past games on the app.

https://twitter.com/MikeSielski/status/610992114177077248?s=09

https://twitter.com/joe_sheehan/status/610989993822187520?s=09

Not sure if anyone else saw this but the Cards are being investigated for hacking into the Astro's computer system. It looks at the moment that it may have been done without the front office's knowledge by lower level employees trying to mess with the new GM who came from STL.

I'm curious as to how this turns out and the punishment the Cards may be facing. I'd honestly not want to see a franchise that has been consistently great get crippled with penalties because of something that happened that probably didn't give them any sort of edge anyways.

Not sure if anyone else saw this but the Cards are being investigated for hacking into the Astro's computer system. It looks at the moment that it may have been done without the front office's knowledge by lower level employees trying to mess with the new GM who came from STL.

I'm curious as to how this turns out and the punishment the Cards may be facing. I'd honestly not want to see a franchise that has been consistently great get crippled with penalties because of something that happened that probably didn't give them any sort of edge anyways.
Didn't give them an edge? They found a treasure trove of internal conversations about current players, free agents, trade discussions, prospects, etc., not to mention all the data and rankings Houston had. It did severe damage to Houston and put them at a disadvantage with the rest of the league. St. Louis needs to get hit with a substantial penalty or it is a complete joke.

Didn't give them an edge? They found a treasure trove of internal conversations about current players, free agents, trade discussions, prospects, etc., not to mention all the data and rankings Houston had. It did severe damage to Houston and put them at a disadvantage with the rest of the league. St. Louis needs to get hit with a substantial penalty or it is a complete joke.
While more may come out as an investigation is done, my understanding of it so far is that the hacking was done by a few single A team employees and that it was more of attempt to mess with Jeff Luhnow. There is nothing that shows the front office even knew about it.

Of course I'm sure the matter is far from over and there is always the chance that it later comes out that the FO knew about this but for now it would be a shame that the Cards built a pretty competitive club and have to face punishments that hamper the team because of a few rogue employees that were far removed from the front office.

The internal e-mail conversations, lapsing almost a year, were publicly released. Conversations about trading current players and discussing their perceived worth, or lack thereof, was particularly damaging. I don't care if St. Louis tries to play it off as "rogue employees" or not, there needs to be a severe punishment for this.

I really hope MLB doesn't drop the ball on this.

Those emails being released could heavily damage the Astros, especially with them trying to sign free agents now that they're good.

The internal e-mail conversations, lapsing almost a year, were publicly released. Conversations about trading current players and discussing their perceived worth, or lack thereof, was particularly damaging. I don't care if St. Louis tries to play it off as "rogue employees" or not, there needs to be a severe punishment for this.

I really hope MLB doesn't drop the ball on this.
I wasn't aware of this. I'll have to re-check the story.

Really nice debut for Matt Wisler in Atlanta tonight. 8 innings with the only run coming on a ball that took a high hop over a drawn-in Chris Johnson at third. Wisler was the main return in the Kimbrel deal with San Diego, and he looked pretty good.

Of course, the Braves have given him no offensive support heading into the bottom of the 8th down 1-0.

Really nice debut for Matt Wisler in Atlanta tonight. 8 innings with the only run coming on a ball that took a high hop over a drawn-in Chris Johnson at third. Wisler was the main return in the Kimbrel deal with San Diego, and he looked pretty good.

Of course, the Braves have given him no offensive support heading into the bottom of the 8th down 1-0.
As good as Kimbrel was getting a solid starter for a bullpen guy is always a win.

As good as Kimbrel was getting a solid starter for a bullpen guy is always a win.
That whole bullpen this year is a dumpster fire anyway. Not even having Kimbrel could save it.

I saw some stat that said the last Brave before Wisler to go 8 innings in their MLB debut was John Smoltz, so that puts him in pretty good company in that regard.

Are the Diamondback serious? Trading a decent middle of the rotation starter, and a young pitcher who can easily be a #1 or #2 pitcher to the Braves for Phil Gosselin? LOL

How does their GM, Dave Stewart, have a job? 

Also, Justin Nicolino made his debut tonight, and pitched 7 scoreless innings. He joins Josh Beckett and Anibal Sanchez, both of whom pitched shut outs in their debut. Pretty good company in my opinion, and looking forward the Marlins are going to have a really young, solid pitching rotation moving forward. (Jose Fernandez, Henderson Alvarez, Jared Cosart, Justin Nicolino, Jose Urena)

Are the Diamondback serious? Trading a decent middle of the rotation starter, and a young pitcher who can easily be a #1 or #2 pitcher to the Braves for Phil Gosselin? LOL

How does their GM, Dave Stewart, have a job?

Also, Justin Nicolino made his debut tonight, and pitched 7 scoreless innings. He joins Josh Beckett and Anibal Sanchez, both of whom pitched shut outs in their debut. Pretty good company in my opinion, and looking forward the Marlins are going to have a really young, solid pitching rotation moving forward. (Jose Fernandez, Henderson Alvarez, Jared Cosart, Justin Nicolino, Jose Urena)
Really dumb move for Arizona. Gosselin is a scrappy type, but I don't think he ever gets past being a utility guy for depth. They must have really wanted to get rid of Bronson Arroyo's contract to give up Touki Toussaint only a year after drafting him 14th overall.

I heard Cueto may have hurt his elbow again. I'm really hoping he is healthy at the deadline so the Reds can get some decent prospects for him. I don't know if I'd give up a whole lot for him as a GM though with his injury history.

I heard that Stanton might be out due to an injury and possible surgery. Anyone else play the show and see his character over used in the home run derby online. Last year is was Ortiz , this year it's Stanton .

I heard that Stanton might be out due to an injury and possible surgery. Anyone else play the show and see his character over used in the home run derby online. Last year is was Ortiz , this year it's Stanton .
I haven't played the Show this year, but I imagine Stanton is probably a beast in HR derby. The best HR derby hitter I ever remember in the Show was Frank Thomas from 07 or 08, he was the only guy in the game that could hit 570+ feet lol.

I haven't played the Show this year, but I imagine Stanton is probably a beast in HR derby. The best HR derby hitter I ever remember in the Show was Frank Thomas from 07 or 08, he was the only guy in the game that could hit 570+ feet lol.
I didn't play the Show back due to not having the system, but I remember Frank Thomas cranking out some monster homers on TV. Kinda funny seeing some people pick Stanton and still strike out. I'm glad Chris Davis is back in the game to add to my rotation of Jones and Weiters .

Stanton has a broken carpal bone in his left hand, and is going to miss 4-6 weeks. His power is probably going to be down the rest of the season. But he should be able to return to full form next year.

Every time I hear Joey Gallo's name mentioned , I think of this and laugh every time!

Even though the first name is different, it's still funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artK07bYjIY

Stanton has a broken carpal bone in his left hand, and is going to miss 4-6 weeks. His power is probably going to be down the rest of the season. But he should be able to return to full form next year.
Not counting last year since it was a freak injury and he only missed 17 games, that is now 3 of the last 4 years Stanton has missed significant time due to injury. I'd be a little worried about being on the hook for that huge contract of his especially as he gets older.

Not counting last year since it was a freak injury and he only missed 17 games, that is now 3 of the last 4 years Stanton has missed significant time due to injury. I'd be a little worried about being on the hook for that huge contract of his especially as he gets older.
Eh, we weren't going to make the playoffs this season anyway. He is one of the best players in the entire league, and I'm fine with building our franchise around him. Just giving him a big contract was huge for our team, because it shows that the franchise is serious about winning. It's going to open the door for us to sign the talented young players to long extensions.

Ugh, ruptured Achilles for Jason Grilli. Out for the year. He was our best chip for the trade deadline, not to mention being the only solid thing in the bullpen.

Ugh, ruptured Achilles for Jason Grilli. Out for the year. He was our best chip for the trade deadline, not to mention being the only solid thing in the bullpen.
Wow, I just saw that play and it looked terrible. That injury is going to be so tough to come back from, especially since it is on his plant leg. Man that really sucks :/

This week has been a shitty week for injures. Alex Gordon and Steven Matz went on the DL earlier this week. Dee Gordon also dislocated his left thumb today and is out for a few weeks.

I read an article today that quoted Walt Jocketty as saying there is a possibility of the Reds trying to add pieces to contend this year. I really hope that's a poor attempt at a smokescreen to increase the cost of their players at the deadline. 

Pederson would've been forever booed in Cincy if Frazier hadn't pulled it out.

The new rules seemed convoluted when they first announced them, but I think this format works pretty well. Great derby this year.

I like 3 of the 4 of the Orioles Franchise Four.

I have to kind of laugh at Larry Walker, Lance Berkman, and Jeff Conine as Franchise Four members.

Those striped hats are awful.

Oh, I know. I just find it really funny.

That anthem was far, far too long.

That Greatest Living Four was awesome though.

I like 3 of the 4 of the Orioles Franchise Four.
Which one would you take off the list? The only selection I'm not sure about is Posey over Mathewson. Posey could be worthy someday, but as of right now, I don't see how you put him on the list over Mathewson.

bread's done
Back