CAG MLB Season Discussion

Once again Kershaw chokes in a game that counts.

Poor Bryce Harper, yet again reminded he's not Mike Trout. Trout wins MVP while Harper goes 0-3 with 2 Ks and has to watch Trout's homer go over his head.

I was thinking recently that I haven't heard much about Brian Wilson. I'm not exactly sure what happened between him and the Dodgers. I'm sure it can't be all that bad, from what I heard he still gets his multi million dollar paycheck. 

I was thinking recently that I haven't heard much about Brian Wilson. I'm not exactly sure what happened between him and the Dodgers. I'm sure it can't be all that bad, from what I heard he still gets his multi million dollar paycheck.
The Dodgers released him back in December.

Last edited by a moderator:
So MLB is thinking of moving the trade deadline back to give teams longer to decide if they are going all in or selling. I don't really care either way, but I do wonder how much a team would be willing to give up for less than 2 months of a player who may or may not help them make the postseason. With an extra wild card team and more teams in contention, that means more teams that may want to go for it and fall short.

Hamels auditioning for the Cubbies today?  Would hate to see him go, more than anyone but Utley from the glory years, but a no-hitter would be a hell of a way to go out.

Interesting fact of the day: John Smoltz is the first pitcher who has had Tommy John surgery to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
For some reason I actually thought John himself was in the Hall. I mean, he did almost win 300 games plus he was the experimental guinea pig for a surgery that has saved countless careers. Back in the day you just had a "dead arm" and called it quits.

Just saw the Cueto trade to the Royals. I'm not really happy with the return. I see 2 guys that are probably bullpen material and one guy who has a ceiling of a back of the rotation starter according to scouts but most likely is a bullpen guy too. It's not too hard to build a bullpen, there are plenty of guys bouncing around the league every year that can be had for cheap that make good relievers.

The Braves received a top 50 draft pick and a starter for Kimbrel if I recall, I was kind of hoping the Reds would get at least that. As awesome as Kimbrel is/was, half a season of a top of the rotation starter should still be worth more than a full season of an awesome shutdown closer in my opinion. I don't even think any of those guys were in the Royals Top 10 prospects.

Just saw the Cueto trade to the Royals. I'm not really happy with the return. I see 2 guys that are probably bullpen material and one guy who has a ceiling of a back of the rotation starter according to scouts but most likely is a bullpen guy too. It's not too hard to build a bullpen, there are plenty of guys bouncing around the league every year that can be had for cheap that make good relievers.

The Braves received a top 50 draft pick and a starter for Kimbrel if I recall, I was kind of hoping the Reds would get at least that. As awesome as Kimbrel is/was, half a season of a top of the rotation starter should still be worth more than a full season of an awesome shutdown closer in my opinion. I don't even think any of those guys were in the Royals Top 10 prospects.
I think the Reds got good value for Cueto. All 3 of those pitchers have major upside and could be with the club within the next 1-2 years. The only question is if Cincinnati keeps developing them as starters or relievers, but I think all three will make the show very soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see them start a few games in September.

Mets traded a pretty good prospect, Casey Meisner for a few months of Tyler Clippard. From all accounts, Meisner has the potential to be a solid back end of the rotation guy.

Really good move for the A's and a pretty questionable move by the Mets.

Mets traded a pretty good prospect, Casey Meisner for a few months of Tyler Clippard. From all accounts, Meisner has the potential to be a solid back end of the rotation guy.

Most prospecting sites had him no better than mid teens in their system, and he's a long way away from the bigs.

If a guy's ceiling is possible 4 starter, and you can trade him for a quality reliever when your bullpen needs help, that's a solid move.

Most prospecting sites had him no better than mid teens in their system, and he's a long way away from the bigs.

If a guy's ceiling is possible 4 starter, and you can trade him for a quality reliever when your bullpen needs help, that's a solid move.
He has a decent fastball, with the potential to develop a plus curve, and I think his ceiling would be a number 3 starter. Nonetheless, it is a good move for the A's, because they got a potential starter for a guy that was going to be a free agent after the season. The A's are probably going to start rebuilding after this season, so it doesn't matter that he won't be league ready for a few seasons.

I think the Mets needed a decent bat more than anything. Solidifying your bullpen is always a good thing, but it s going to be tough for them to make the playoffs without another decent bat. Also, it seems they turned down a trade from the Brewers that would send Gerardo Parra for Meisner. That just seems kinda questionable to me.

He has a decent fastball, with the potential to develop a plus curve, and I think his ceiling would be a number 3 starter. Nonetheless, it is a good move for the A's, because they got a potential starter for a guy that was going to be a free agent after the season. The A's are probably going to start rebuilding after this season, so it doesn't matter that he won't be league ready for a few seasons.

I think the Mets needed a decent bat more than anything. Solidifying your bullpen is always a good thing, but it s going to be tough for them to make the playoffs without another decent bat. Also, it seems they turned down a trade from the Brewers that would send Gerardo Parra for Meisner. That just seems kinda questionable to me.
They acquired Uribe and Johnson. Uribe plays a solid to excellent 3B and has largely been league average or better since 2009. Johnson can play multiple positions and is about league average with the bat himself. They allow the Mets to play marginal players less, Murphy to play 2B more frequently, and their defense is better. With d'Arnaud coming back shortly, the offense will be passable too.

They also didn't weaken any strengths or weaken their outlook over the next several years while improving their roster, which they would have had to have done if they made a play for Tulo. They could still trade a middling prospect for someone like Byrd for a right handed OF bat, too.

Looks like the Phillies are holding out for Urias or Seager from the Dodgers. If they Dodgers cave and give them either one that would be a huge return for them. That was the kind of return I was *hoping* the Reds got for Cueto. Having him off the market is now only going to help the Phillies get a better return.

Looks like the Phillies are holding out for Urias or Seager from the Dodgers. If they Dodgers cave and give them either one that would be a huge return for them. That was the kind of return I was *hoping* the Reds got for Cueto. Having him off the market is now only going to help the Phillies get a better return.
Maybe the Reds wanted more solid quantity than high quality because it seems like KC gave up a higher prospect for Zobrist than they did for Cueto.

I like the moves New York has made and I think they have put themselves in the drivers seat for the NL East, which is a terrible division. If they do like you suggest and add a big bat, they would move into the realm of title contenders. They have the trade chips and there are some very good bats out there, only question is will ownership want to take on more salary.

Mets got a big RH bat. Carlos Gomez. Wheeler couldn't throw strikes before his elbow blew up, so who knows if he'll ever make it back as a big league starter. He won't be pitching until next season at some point, anyway. Gomez is also excellent in CF, so there won't be much drop off from Lagares. Plus Lagares can play LF or RF and the two can gobble up flyballs at a crazy rate.

So many crazy happenings tonight. It seems Jose Peraza (#1 Braves prospect), Jim Johnson, and Alex Wood are headed to the Dodgers. The return isn't exactly clear right now, but Puig and Hector Olivera are believed to be some of the pieces going back to Atlanta.

The Padres just pulled Tyson Ross and Justin Upton out of the game in the 6th inning, so it seems like they'll be on the move somewhere.

Goddamn, that's a haul for Hamels and Diekman.  Matt Harrison, Jake Thompson, Jorge Alfaro, Nick Williams, Jerad Eickhoff and Alec Asher to the Phillies.  Sucks we didn't get Mazaro or Gallo, but I like this return.  Enjoy Cole Rangers fans, he's a good dude and I'm sad to see him go.

Mets' GM Sandy Alderson says the Mets trading for Carlos Gomez "has not and will not" happen.
Apparently Terry Collins told Wilmer Flores that he was being traded during the game, and Flores was visibly upset on the field.

I guess the Brewers decided not to take a risk on a guy coming off TJ surgery. I feel kinda bad for the fans at this point, that would have been a good trade for the Mets.

CLIbrejWcAAy0MM.png

So many crazy happenings tonight. It seems Jose Peraza (#1 Braves prospect), Jim Johnson, and Alex Wood are headed to the Dodgers. The return isn't exactly clear right now, but Puig and Hector Olivera are believed to be some of the pieces going back to Atlanta.
Looks like the Dodgers are acquiring Latos and Morse from the Marlins, while the Braves are getting Olivera, Zach Bird and the Marlins competitive round draft pick for sure. The Dodgers may possibly have a trade lined up for David Price where Wood gets flipped according to the MLB trade rumors web site.

I guess the deal kind of makes sense for the Braves in the sense most of Olivera's contract has been paid by the Dodgers and he is under control for the next 6 years, but I do wonder why a rebuilding team wants to trade for a 30 year old?

I guess the Brewers decided not to take a risk on a guy coming off TJ surgery. I feel kinda bad for the fans at this point, that would have been a good trade for the Mets.
I read that it was the Mets who decided not to take a risk on Gomez, something with his hip.

Without Puig being involved, the Braves are making a terrible move if it goes through. No sense in getting a 30 year old rookie who might need TJ surgery in exchange for your top prospect and a young cheap decent starter in Wood.

John Hart has made some good moves with an eye towards the future, but this seems to contradict that goal.

Gerardo Parra gets traded to the Orioles for Zach Davies. Brewers fans think they should've gotten more, Orioles fans don't want to give up a prospect for a rental.

Iwakuma's no-hitter breaks a streak of 12 straight NL no-hitters.  First AL no-hitter since King Felix's perfecto nearly 3 years ago.  (One no-hitter in the streak was an NL team over an AL one.)

Domino's has a promotion going this season giving away codes for a carryout medium 2 topping pizza to mlb.com users after someone throws a no-hitter.  Codes will be given out starting at 3pm Eastern tomorrow to the first 20k users for Iwakuma's no-hitter.  Details at http://mlb.mlb.com/sponsors/dominos/dominono/index.jsp

I meant to post this earlier, but last night was the first time since the league expanded to 30 teams, that all 15 home teams won in the same night. The last time every home team won on the same night was in 1914.

Poor Mariners fans.
Yea...could be like the Mets(in first with a terrible offense) if the pitching matched how good it was last year.

I think Cubs/Pirates fans might have a crappier time this year, to end up with the 3rd and 4th possible best record in the league and end up playing in a one game playoff.

Utley to Dodgers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjoyK5_Ae48

:cry:

If you haven't heard, Curt Schilling a few days ago made a really bad tweet about Muslism extremists and Nazis. ESPN gave him a brief suspension, then got into a back and forth with Awful Announcing and now Schilling has been suspended from all TV broadcasts at ESPN.

bread's done
Back