CAG MLB Season Discussion

Yay, more pitching prospects. That'll really help the offense.
I had to laugh at this because my first reaction was, wow that team has stacked up a lot of pitching prospects. I forgot how dismal the offense was this year for them. If they flip a few for a solid bat or two they could actually be a pretty good team this year.

I read into the SDI stat, and it's legit. It uses batted ball and play by play data, and uses multiple sources for both types of defensive data, smoothing out discrepancies that could arise from the differing sources.
Do you have a source you could link me to? For some reason I couldn't find anything on it earlier.

I had to laugh at this because my first reaction was, wow that team has stacked up a lot of pitching prospects. I forgot how dismal the offense was this year for them. If they flip a few for a solid bat or two they could actually be a pretty good team this year.

Do you have a source you could link me to? For some reason I couldn't find anything on it earlier.
http://sabr.org/content/details-new-rawlings-gold-glove-awards-selection-process-sabr

What fielding metrics make up the SDI?

The SDI is built from two types of defensive metrics — those that come from batted ball location-based data, and those which originate from the play-by-play records of games. We gave more weight (70%) to the batted ball location-based metrics, which evaluate the degree to which a fielder makes plays in specific zones on the diamond. The player's performance is measured in comparison to his peers. The play-by-play based metrics (30% of the SDI) are important in that they approach defensive measurement from an alternative vantage point — a more generalized approach that estimates the number of batted balls hit into a fielder's area.

Within the batted ball location-based category, we've included 3 measures — Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) from John Dewan's company, Baseball Info Solutions; Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR), authored by noted sabermetrician Mitchel Lichtman; and Runs Effectively Defended (RED) from Chris Dial. The play-by-play based metrics include two measures: Defensive Regression Analysis (DRA) from Michael Humphreys and Total Zone Rating (TZ).

What are some of the defensive elements that are measured within the SDI's components?

Fielding metrics included in the SDI capture a fielder's range, his throwing arm, his sure-handedness, his ability to turn double-plays (for SS and 2B), his ability to convert bunts into outs (primarily P, C, 3B, and 1B), scoops of throws in the dirt (1B), as well as the number of "excellent" and "poor" fielding plays. In addition, for outfielders, his ability to prevent runners from taking an extra base is also rated. For catchers, blocking balls in the dirt and stolen bases/caught stealing are also included in their ratings. Finally, for pitchers, we include his ability to control the running game by holding runners on base, in addition to many of the above criteria. (Pitch framing by catchers is not currently included in the defensive metrics that comprise the SDI.)

I'm pretty blown away by what the Braves got from Arizona for Shelby MIller. 2015 #1 overall pick SS Dansby Swanson, 2014 first rounder P Aaron Blair, and MLB outfielder Ender Inciarte. I probably would've preferred David Peralta over Inciarte just because Peralta has more power, but there is no way anyone that isn't a Dbacks fan can complain about the package.

So basically the Braves traded one year of Jason Heyward for one year of Miller, 6 years of Tyrell Jenkins/Swanson/Blair, and 5 years of Inciarte. Not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fox is removing Harold Reynolds and Tom Verducci from the booth and replacing them with John Smoltz. I support it because Reynolds and Verducci were terrible. From listening to Smoltz call a lot of Braves games, he'll make some really groan-inducing jokes, but he's solid on his analysis.

I didn't think the Reds got much for Johnny Cueto. I think the same about the return they got from the Yankees for Aroldis Chapman, though I imagine his market was smaller due to the possible suspension or whatnot currently hanging over his head.

I forgot that the Royals even existed.
Umm...

royals-2015-champs-2.jpg

I didn't think the Reds got much for Johnny Cueto. I think the same about the return they got from the Yankees for Aroldis Chapman, though I imagine his market was smaller due to the possible suspension or whatnot currently hanging over his head.
I don't think they got much for Frazier either. In fact, I don't think they got a single useful piece in that trade. Finnegan and Lamb will be useful but it seems Cueto should have netted more, not sure if it was his injury history or the Reds themselves that were the reason.

Obviously I don't have the info the Reds scouts do but just looking at the players stats the Yankees gave up I don't see anything special. The Reds almost seem to be taking a quantity over quality approach to prospects assuming if they acquire enough in trades a few will work out. I don't agree with it but it is what it is.

Read an article that says the Rays have been given permission to search for new stadium sites locally. I wonder what the odds are that they actually get a new stadium and stay put. I'm not sure how much longer they can stay put in that market and being tied there for a set amount of years in a new stadium lease is probably not what they really want.

Not sure how many people here use mlbtv but it appears there was some lawsuit regarding it and in order to settle it MLB is offering a huge discount for one team packages. It's only $85 a year now if you only want to watch one team play.

There's still some details to be straightened out.  This article says the full package drops from $129.99 to $109.99.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/01/19/mlb-class-action-lawsuit-single-team-streaming-mlb-tv/79006936/

I thought the regular MLB.tv package was $119.99 last year, while the premium (which is what I subscribe to) was $129.99.  I go with the premium package for the feed and audio overlay options.

There will be an extra $10 feature by the All-Star break for streaming otherwise blacked out games (article mentions buying Pirates package in St. Louis and still being able to watch the MLB.tv Pirates feed when they play the Cardinals).  Wonder if that could be stacked on the full plan as well.

Settlement doesn't really affect me, since I don't mind paying for the full package.  Phillies fan living in suburban Baltimore, so games against the Nationals and Orioles are blacked out, but I still have the radio feeds (I prefer the Phillies radio team over the TV one, which is why I like the audio overlay).  Even with those blackouts, and back when the Fox blackout windows affected MLB.tv, it comes out to ~$1 a game, which I think is fine and is probably in line with single episodes of TV shows on streaming sites.  With the team down in the dumps right now, I may not be as interested in tuning in to every game, but the ability to tune in to an ongoing no-hitter or other interesting games elsewhere in the majors, plus teams' local radio broadcasts throughout the playoffs, makes it worth it to me.  And if the price drop to $109.99 is for the MLB.tv premium, even better.

I have always been interested in getting MLB.tv, as I  think this will be the year that i finally cut the cord completely and go with streaming services for my media needs.  I actually have the wife on board with getting mlb.tv, so that is plus ;)

I have always been interested in getting MLB.tv, as I think this will be the year that i finally cut the cord completely and go with streaming services for my media needs. I actually have the wife on board with getting mlb.tv, so that is plus ;)
If you cut off cable completely and just go with streaming you'll save plenty of money even with a subscription to mlb.tv so you'd still come out ahead.

If you cut off cable completely and just go with streaming you'll save plenty of money even with a subscription to mlb.tv so you'd still come out ahead.
Exactly! She was for mlb.tv before we were ever planning on cutting the cord. And once we finally do cut the cord, I will be happy!

Not enough traffic for a new thread, so this is an all purpose thread now!

Anyway, the whole thing with Gallardo and especially Fowler has been really, really freaky. I have no idea what really happened with Fowler.

Ubaldo started out shaky, but he finished a lot stronger than I thought he would as the Orioles open up with a sweep. Yes, it was against the Twins, but a sweep is a sweep.

More importantly, future All-Star Hall of Famer GOAT Joey Rickard hit his first Home Run.

Yes, it was against the Twins, but a sweep is a sweep.
Why you down on the Twins? They had a winning record last year and they have a ton of young players that are only gonna improve this year, I'd say they are a pretty solid team, might even be a darkhorse playoff team.

Also, speaking of sweeps, the Reds swept the Phillies. That's not exactly a great team but it's nice to see them off to a good start.

Why you down on the Twins? They had a winning record last year and they have a ton of young players that are only gonna improve this year, I'd say they are a pretty solid team, might even be a darkhorse playoff team.
That was better then the Orioles did last year (.500) and everybody was thinking this years Orioles would be worse. Starting with a sweep has got to help.

Also, speaking of sweeps, the Reds swept the Phillies. That's not exactly a great team but it's nice to see them off to a good start.
Enjoy those wins, you won't be getting many more than the Phils!

Enjoy those wins, you won't be getting many more than the Phils!
They almost lost 100 games last year and then managed to lose one of the last offensive threats they have left in Frazier, I think they might crack the 100 loss barrier this year.

And Trevor Story hit another home run today. That's at least one (he had 2 opening day) in his first four career games. 

I'm glad I had enough foresight to draft him in my fantasy league.

Call me crazy but I'm starting to become cautiously optimistic about the Reds season this year even though its only a week in. This crazy good start they are on needs to keep going.

Call me crazy but I'm starting to become cautiously optimistic about the Reds season this year even though its only a week in. This crazy good start they are on needs to keep going.
I'm close to Louisville and I've been watching some of the Bats games. The Reds have some decent help on the way.

I just got an offer from MLB.tv to subscribe for half price. I guess I get this for being a "free game user". By which I assume they mean that I watched one of the games of the day. Or maybe they just send it to everyone. No idea, but worth checking your email to see if you got it. Email is titled "MLB.TV Premium: Special 50% Discount for Free Game Users!"

MLB.tv still sucks. I don't know if it's a Verizon FiOS issue, but for me the playback freezes periodically and/or quality drops and/or it goes back in time and repeats. So frustrating. I don't understand why it's so bad when Netflix and other services are flawless. Already regretting the purchase a bit.

I also got the free t mobile deal. I've had no issues with it. It's great to be able to watch Mets games on the big screen.

I tried it on PS3 and it seemed to work better, though not perfect. So I deleted the app on PS4 and reinstalled and now it seems to be working better. But it's also possible it's better because right now there are fewer games going on. Will see how it does tomorrow during prime time. But hopefully this has fixed it.

EDIT: so much for that. Been problematic again today. Don't know if the problem is FiOS or the MLB.tv app on consoles.

So far I'm finding MLB.tv to work a lot better on the PS3. It's still not perfect, but it's definitely better. Is anyone else having the problems I mentioned with MLB.tv on the PS4?

Reds finally retired Pete Rose's number 14 .... long overdue in my opinion. As a player, he is the all-time hits leader and whatever he did after that shouldn't affect his legacy as a player. Having said that, Ty Cobb is still the greatest hitter of all-time. It doesn't matter what era you play in, when you lead the league in batting average 12 out of 13 years, you're one of the most dominant players the game has ever seen.

I saw the Gwinnett Braves throw a combined no-hitter last night against the Louisville Bats. It was pretty cool. Rob Wooten threw 6 innings in an emergency start because Mike Foltynewicz got called up to start for the big Braves. It was only Wooten's second career start after being a reliever his whole career. 

I go to a lot of Bats games, and I always root for them unless they're playing the Braves.

I saw the Gwinnett Braves throw a combined no-hitter last night against the Louisville Bats. It was pretty cool. Rob Wooten threw 6 innings in an emergency start because Mike Foltynewicz got called up to start for the big Braves. It was only Wooten's second career start after being a reliever his whole career.

I go to a lot of Bats games, and I always root for them unless they're playing the Braves.
Other than Winker, I'm not too sure who the Reds have in their system for bats. They have some good pitching prospects but they are gonna need hitters if they wanna compete.

Other than Winker, I'm not too sure who the Reds have in their system for bats. They have some good pitching prospects but they are gonna need hitters if they wanna compete.
Winker was out of the lineup the other night, which is probably part of why they went hitless. I'm not too sure what they have at the lower levels, but I don't think there's too much hitting potential in Louisville. Steve Selsky and Jermaine Curtis are fun to watch, but they're pretty much topped out as the hypothetical "AAAA player," where they're great in Triple A but can't hack it in the majors.

The ghosts are out in the Bronx. On the very day after the Yankees finally rid themselves of Alex Rodriguez...and the same day the entire 1996 championship team reunited to celebrate the beginning of their dynasty...Tyler Austin and Aaron Judge hit back to back home runs in their first career at bats.

And yes, that was the first time in the history of MLB that that's happened.

This is the type of stuff that makes me feel like we're living in a computer simulation, lol. Incredible.

bread's done
Back