CAG Movie Night! UPDATE!

kennistond

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Huge Update! The first 2 movies for our CAG Movie Night are Jackie Brown and Eraserhead!

The first week's movie will be Jackie Brown and hopefully, everybody can watch it before next Monday, September 22.

If anyone is interested in live commentary, let me know so we can discuss a time and day.

Enjoy!

I made a social group. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=113

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave this idea to the fellas at DVDTalk and people were interested but it never really happened. It would be cool to open up a thread and have everyone start the movie at the same time and discuss it in real time. I'd probably be in if we can get a good time.

Real time discussion would be fun. Almost commentary-like minus any actual insight from the making of the movie, or cast or directors:D

I ran this idea under a different name at a different forum for a few years before I left. All I know is that it's a good idea and leads to a lot of interesting discussion.

Plus, considering the upcoming Netflix integration with the 360, this could lead to some Mystery Science Theater fun. ;)

Count me in. :D

[quote name='kennistond']Real time discussion would be fun. Almost commentary-like minus any actual insight from the making of the movie, or cast or directors:D[/quote]

Knowing the people here, it would just be a lot of "Stick it in her Pooper" jokes. :D

[quote name='chasemurata']

Plus, considering the upcoming Netflix integration with the 360, this could lead to some Mystery Science Theater fun. ;)

Count me in. :D[/quote]

I forgot about the Netflix thing. That could be the popular way to go if it's in the Watch Instantly category.

Well, it looks like this is getting some good feedback.

Let's get some movie recommendations from everyone so I can pick one for our trial run.

Aw, this is like a book club..but with movies..and we aren't all divorced lonely women !
This could be interesting..but there's a lot of (really annoying) movie snobs on this site so they will probably be the buzz kill.

If this were to happen, I would say someone should start a social group (here on CAG, of course) and talk about it there.

Real time commentary is a stupid idea (you should be watching the movie) but something like a movie of the month would be pretty cool as long as we watch something of worth instead of month after month of "FIGHTCLUB/SHAWSHANK/LORDOFTHERINGS/RUNLOLARUN"

Suggestions? The Conversation is a great movie that isn't too obtuse and is often overlooked.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071360/

[quote name='lilboo']Aw, this is like a book club..but with movies..and we aren't all divorced lonely women !
This could be interesting..but there's a lot of (really annoying) movie snobs on this site so they will probably be the buzz kill.

If this were to happen, I would say someone should start a social group (here on CAG, of course) and talk about it there.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the best way to go about this is to start a CAG Group and have an accompanying thread for discussions. It's working well for our CAG Gamerscore Whore Group so I don't see why it wouldn't work the same here! [/shameless plug]

And I didn't even think about the Netflix thing. That will make this even better and easier to integrate.

Maybe we can plan the 4 movies for the next month and post the list towards the end of the current month so everyone has enough time to get the movie and watch it. Otherwise they can skip one movie and prepare for the next.

We could even do monthly themes like "Action Movies", "Sci-Fi Classics", "B Movies", "Cult Hits", "Horror Movies of the 90s/whatever decade", etc.

If we discuss early enough then we can all provide feedback on what the 4 movies for the month will be.

Maybe we can have a random drawing and allow 1 member of the group to choose a bonus 5th movie to watch for the month.

Either way we will need an agreeable method of choosing movies.

What about a poll?

We put 5 or 6 movies on it and let CAG choose what movies we watch.

EDIT: or put more than that and the top 4 vote getters are the ones we watch.

We can theme the poll too for that month.

[quote name='Sporadic']Real time commentary is a stupid idea (you should be watching the movie) but something like a movie of the month would be pretty cool as long as we watch something of worth instead of month after month of "FIGHTCLUB/SHAWSHANK/LORDOFTHERINGS/RUNLOLARUN"

Suggestions? The Conversation is a great movie that isn't too obtuse and is often overlooked.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071360/[/quote]

My film club actually just screened that movie this week but I missed it.

We could have a film of the half month and have a thread to discuss it.

If we have to do David Lynch and we're at all doing a voice chat, then let's do Inland Empire because I don't want to watch that alone....granted I'm sure Eraserhead is an equal nom

A great idea. A live chat would be kind of pointless, though, if it's a serious movie like 8 1/2 or Psycho. Granted, you could always not be a part of the discussion during the movie and join in when it's done.

I suggest Jackie Brown.

Why are so many people recommending David Lynch flicks? He has directed a couple of decent films (Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man for example), but everything else blows, hard.

[quote name='darthbudge']I also nominate, Memento, Donnie Darko and The Usual Suspects.[/quote]

Is there really anybody that hasn't seen these movies?

[quote name='Short Round']Why are so many people recommending David Lynch flicks? He has directed a couple of decent films (Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man for example), but everything else blows, hard.

Is there really anybody that hasn't seen these movies?[/quote]

Well maybe, but most of us probably haven't seen the movie in a year or more and we could always have fun rewatching them and talking about them.

[quote name='dastly75']My film club actually just screened that movie this week but I missed it.

We could have a film of the half month and have a thread to discuss it.[/QUOTE]

You missed out. I usually don't like Francis Ford Coppola movies but that one was fantastic. A little slow in the beginning but the last (?) 25 minutes were amazing.

[quote name='darthbudge']I also nominate, Memento, Donnie Darko and The Usual Suspects.[/QUOTE]

I also nominate *INSERT SUPER CLICHE "SMART" MOVIE HERE*

Come on guys, if we are going to do this, let's do it right. We should be trying to expand our cinematic horizons and uncover hidden gems, not going over the same old crap.

There isn't really a fair way to pick movies so I'll take every suggestion that I get until tomorrow night and from those, I'll pick 2 movies at random for out first trial run.

[quote name='Sporadic']
I also nominate *INSERT SUPER CLICHE "SMART" MOVIE HERE*

Come on guys, if we are going to do this, let's do it right. We should be trying to expand our cinematic horizons and uncover hidden gems, not going over the same old crap.[/quote]

I agree, but if you're going to get more people involved we should at least pick something contemporary.

How about Rescue Dawn, everybody likes Christian Bale, right?

[quote name='kennistond']We could do a Christian Bale themed month because I think everyone needs to watch The Prestige.[/quote]

I think everyone has seen The Prestige. If you want to do some Christian Bale, try out the aforementioned Rescue Dawn or The Machinist.

[quote name='kennistond']We could do a Christian Bale themed month because I think everyone needs to watch The Prestige.[/quote]

A Christian Bale themed month sounds delicious.

[quote name='Sporadic']How about Overnight (2003)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390336/

Most people have watched The Boondock Saints but few people have watched this documentary. It's hilarious how much of a complete douchebag Troy Duffy is and how he blew a once in a lifetime shot.[/quote]

That looks pretty good, I actually haven't seen The Boondock Saints. Maybe we could add that movie as well.

[quote name='kennistond']The first week's movie will be Jackie Brown and hopefully, everybody can watch it before next Monday, September 22.[/quote]

The worst Quentin Tarantino film :(

Although, I guess Tarantino is very similar to sex and pizza; even when it's bad, it's good.

[quote name='DT778']:whistle2:s isn't that the point of this thread?[/quote]

I kinda agree with this. To my knowledge , nobody really posts or uses the social groups other than as a means of organization (if even that). Part of that blame is because the site doesn't give any notification of activity in the groups so you have to remember to check for anything new.

In any case , I need to get around to watching Superbad so I can send it back to netflix and get jackie brown then I guess. Works out for me since I've never seen it before.

I have't seen almost any of the aforementioned movies :dunce: !! Looking forward to the wealth of options this will open :bouncy:!

Cult classic = Rocky Horror Picture Show ... but we'll be hard pressed to find anyone that has not seen that one!! :cool:

bread's done
Back