CAG on your mobile devices

How can you like the old one better? The old one was more cramped, had far fewer options, marked all posts read after a few minutes, and had no way to check new posts or topics like the current Notifications menu.

1 it loaded faster on all my devices
2 used the available space better (same issue I have with the desk to site)
3 when I set a device to mobile aka my tablet it remembered it from session to session

John says mobile changes coming very shortly.
That's great,thanks Cheaply and John.
@gantt,the only complaints I've ever made about the mobile site is the lack of page numbers and the ability to choose a page to go to, both of which go a long way towards making it usable. The layout I've always been fine with.

New mobile theme is up:

BRV5A9nCUAABvhC.jpg

CheapyD its not saving the use mobile site setting.In the past once you switched to the mobile version it stayed that way even on subsequent visits until you cleared cookes or switched back yourself. I like to use the mobile site on my nexus 7 and touchpad because its a quicker and much smoother experience. But having to switch EVERY time I visit the site is making using CAG a complete chore and honestly I am using it much less than I used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the new mobile site theme does look nice but the start new topic button takes up way to much space. Maybe it show be on the same line as prev and next.

Kinda like the reply button is in the picture above. or better yet put the start new thread in the options where mark all read and messenger is.

Sorry the more i think about this can prev and next be on the same line as the forum title that would save a ton of space. My suggestion about the start new thread still stands.

1. I'm not sure why you have to switch each time you use the site on mobile.  I do not have to do that. 

Once I click "use mobile version" from my mobile device, it stays that way unless I go back to the "full version".

If you select the "change theme" button from your mobile device, that will apply to all your logged in accounts, I believe.  Don't do that unless you never use CAG on desktop.

2. On the mobile site, you can click your post and an edit button will appear.  That will prevent you from having to create 3 replies in a row.  You can also quote posts this way.

3. I'm sure some small mobile forum tweaks are still incoming.

Point taken on item number 2.

On number 1 i do have to switch EVERY time on my nexus 7 (Stock not Rooted) and touchpad (android). I dont want to change the theme because I do use cag on desktop and mobile. My phone is not an issue but on tables it is a major problem. On the old cag this was never a problem. 

On the desktop site can you guys please make it use more of the screen its so much wasted space.

This will be the last time I post this, please can you guys activate the server on Tapatalk app so I can finally send PM at will? Because unless someone sends me a PM first I cant technically do any shit with PM. Im using Tapatalk to visit forums everyday and everything is smooth except this part which Ive been asking to be done for uhm month a go. Please CheapyD or John if you guys bump to this thread, then do me a favor, will ya?

Yes I am selecting use mobile theme. Note to see the issue close all the tabs in mobile chrome. Then make sure the app is completely closed aka not just in the background then reopen and its back to the desktop site.

Have you guys been testing the tapatalk 4 beta? It has an option that lets it open my bookmarks and if I select my video game deals bookmark it goes to cag lifestyle & off topic. I know that is beta software but i am not sure if its a problem on their end or maybe with your new site. I know this is off my original issue but i was using tapatalk because of the mobile site issues i was talking about above. 

Thanks for trying to improve the experience. My feedback (using an Android phone):

1. I still don't see the ability to follow a topic (as I previously requested), unless I reply to a thread. Have I missed something? Otherwise, until this is added I will have to reply to topics for no reason other than to follow them.

2. The "Start New Topic" button displays on its own line at the top of the forum, when it looks like it could easily fit between the Prev and Next buttons below it and save space, allowing display of more actual topics.

Yes I am selecting use mobile theme. Note to see the issue close all the tabs in mobile chrome. Then make sure the app is completely closed aka not just in the background then reopen and its back to the desktop site.

Have you guys been testing the tapatalk 4 beta? It has an option that lets it open my bookmarks and if I select my video game deals bookmark it goes to cag lifestyle & off topic. I know that is beta software but i am not sure if its a problem on their end or maybe with your new site. I know this is off my original issue but i was using tapatalk because of the mobile site issues i was talking about above.
I think i fixed the theme issue on Android tablets.

We have not been using the Tapatalk 4 beta. I wish we are at the point where our biggest problem was the Tapatalk beta not working properly. I do have Tapatalk 2 installed on my iPhone.

Thanks for trying to improve the experience. My feedback (using an Android phone):

1. I still don't see the ability to follow a topic (as I previously requested), unless I reply to a thread. Have I missed something? Otherwise, until this is added I will have to reply to topics for no reason other than to follow them.

2. The "Start New Topic" button displays on its own line at the top of the forum, when it looks like it could easily fit between the Prev and Next buttons below it and save space, allowing display of more actual topics.
I'm sure both of these can be fixed.

give us the old mobile site back, new one is horrible
I'm sorry you don't like it. Obviously I can't just give you back the old one, but perhaps if you elaborate, we can make this one less horrible.

We have a few more changes coming in the next day or so.

Yes, very shortly you will have the option to choose. Clicking on the link will take you to the OP, and clicking on the little icon will take you to the first unread post. You would think something like that would be a 5 minute fix, but alas, here we are.

John was trying to implement that earlier and hit a roadblock.

Yes, got the mobile theme working again!  Thanks John and Cheapy!

I've tested this on my Nexus 7 using Chrome and am not having any issues with the mobile theme sticking.  Don't know what your issue is, maybe try clearing cache?  What browser are you on?

Couple of nitpicks on the mobile theme, the buttons on the bottom are huge, maybe shrink things down so they fit on one line?  First and previous page small and side-by-side, last and next page the same and remove the reply button altogether since there's a fast reply box on the bottom?  And it would be nice to have the page numbers on the bottom as well.  

I think i fixed the theme issue on Android tablets.

We have not been using the Tapatalk 4 beta. I wish we are at the point where our biggest problem was the Tapatalk beta not working properly. I do have Tapatalk 2 installed on my iPhone.
Thank you that seems to be working my nexus 7 has stayed on the mobile site for the last 4 times I have tried. :) I figured tapatalk 4 was not on your radar but figured I would ask. On the mobile site I still would suggest you move the start new topic to the same line as prev and next it just takes up to much space esp on a phone. But thank you for the tablet fix.

yes, some of the fixes which look like they would take 2 minutes to fix are unfortunately more complicated. we'll get there!

I'm sure both of these can be fixed.
Ha! I like the way you give the impression they will be fixed without actually saying they will be fixed. Someone hangs out with a lawyer!

Seriously, I appreciate the responsiveness in this thread and the attention the mobile site seems to be getting.

Sorry to pressure you but tapatalk 4 was just moved out of beta if you could look into why all cag bookmarks send us to the lifestyle section. for example

www.cheapassgamer.com/index.php?showforum=10

While it's helpful to have people provide constructive criticism of the mobile experience, it might be nice to know that some people are quite enjoying the new forums and the layout, color scheme, and readability. Maybe it helps that I'm on an iPhone. Thanks for all the work fine tuning the new site.

While it's helpful to have people provide constructive criticism of the mobile experience, it might be nice to know that some people are quite enjoying the new forums and the layout, color scheme, and readability. Maybe it helps that I'm on an iPhone. Thanks for all the work fine tuning the new site.

When is the old icon logo with Cheapy D giving the thumbs up going to come back?

There's no icon on the iPhone anymore. Please respond either way.....

Thanks!

I'm using the new iOS style, and clicking on a thread always takes me to the last post in a thread, rather than the first post.  This is pretty annonying, since the deal is almost always in the first post.  Can we get this fixed?

Love the site, keep up the good work.

On the full site, there is now a green line between pinned threads and other threads. However, on the mobile site there is no green line, or any other differentiation from what I can see (Android 4.3 using Chrome).

I think this is a recent change. Before, I think it used to say "Pinned" under every pinned thread on the mobile site. I didn't care for that (took up too much space) but I'm not sure this is an improvement. Please look into it. Thanks.

Cheapy, I know you've said that you don't see the point of making a mobile CAG app with Tap-a-Talk, but I think you're missing out on referral cash, not to mention making it easier for us to keep up with deals.  

SD has an app that gives you a notification for your alerts.  You click on the notification and it takes you to the thread in the app, and more importantly, the link where you can purchase it.  I've bought several things this way and probably even stuff that started on CAG, meaning CAG is missing out on the referral bonuses.  Tapa-a-Talk is fine, but I haven't been able to get a single notification from it except for subscribed threads.  

Would said tapatalk issues include the fact I can't quote people, messages are declared posted but still show up after "discarding" them, and my Pm's are sent twice?

[quote name="Rip44" post="11353123" timestamp="1387149936"]

Would said tapatalk issues include the fact I can't quote people, messages are declared posted but still show up after "discarding" them, and my Pm's are sent twice?[/quote]
When it was still working, my issue was with editing my post, it turned in like I was to make a brand new post (I have both free and Pro version) miss the good old Tapatalk 1 :pray: .
Thanks guys Tapatalk is working again.

bread's done
Back