CAG Socom Thread-SONY SHUTTING DOWN SERVERS AUGUST 31 for S1-CA Tue&Sun10pmEST

[quote name='Josh5890']Not a bad intensive for some people.[/QUOTE]They'll do the beta for PS+ members so I'm not sure how much of an incentive this really would be... and I've not really had many good vibes from the beta and don't really see it developing into a AAA gaming experience. Its not horrible, not by a long shot, but its just so... Unrefined/Unfriendly in its design. (Note: I have a 1.07 K:D ratio so I'm not exactly struggling out there.)

Anyhow, with the Resistance 3 beta being added at last minute and the fact we haven't seen any reviews yet when LBP2 and KZ3 had their review embargo lifted way in advance I suspect the game will neither review nor sale well.

And that sucks as I'm always in desperate need of good/great 3PS games to play with family on the PS3. (Said family gets motion sickness from FPS.)

Digging the new (old) camera.

There still needs to be a dot in the crosshairs and d-pad lean. I most likely won't have anytime to play for the rest of the beta. Already got the game on preorder.

Next time I see you guys on will be when Socom 4 is officially released.

[quote name='j-cart']
Next time I see you guys on will be when Socom 4 is officially released.[/QUOTE]

I'll be there on day 1. Hopefully the servers can handle it.

So we had a few on last night. When I went to game types there weren't any classic games, everthing was respawn. So we tried a clan challenge and couldn't get that to work. Both lethal and I tried and it did the same thing that it has been doing for the last couple weeks, saying everyone was busy when you'd try to challenge them or never put you in the game after your challenge went through. 8 days to fix it...

[quote name='Cigarl']I'll be there on day 1. Hopefully the servers can handle it.

So we had a few on last night.[/QUOTE]

i missed you guys, i played a few games last but i was the only one of us on.

i wish amazon would bump it to $20 credit, that would seal the release day purchase.

Socom 4 killed my only working controller last night. It said it was disconnected but the light was still on. Shut down my ps3 and my controller wouldn't go off. I hit the little reset button and now it won't turn on. It's only like 3 months old too. So that why I bailed option and wotcher.

The accuracy is much better but yeah we need a center dot and lean but most importantly we need the Socom modes. Game will get boring too quickly without them. Also I messed with the Gama settings in menu, and it made guys much easier to spot. Took the shiny look away

Buy this, because it is SoCrack. Never heard of Mortal Krack before, but it is not as addicting as SoCrack.

Plus the CAG clan has a bunch of great guys to play with.

Any reason why I shouldn't get this game? I'm getting the deployment for all the move goodies, even though I have the move setup but the price is good for the amount you get even though I'm looking to get rid of the extra PS3 eye. I've enjoyed what I played with the beta even though I haven't played since the new patch. I hope this SOCrack is as good as advertise.

[quote name='smiggity']Socom 4 killed my only working controller last night. It said it was disconnected but the light was still on. Shut down my ps3 and my controller wouldn't go off. I hit the little reset button and now it won't turn on. It's only like 3 months old too. So that why I bailed option and wotcher.

[/QUOTE]

i bailed on option to help brother fix his car.

smog - well, you need another controller. I have at least 3-4 ds and 2 moves.

==================================

ps move + sharp shooter review
It is great if you can relearn how to move. In the past and at times today, I get motion sickness from fps games and bad camera movements. Blair witch was unwatchable for me. I've been slowly adjusting my body to fps again. With that being said, the sharp shooter move combo works. For using the move, you get no recoil, red dot, and a red laser pointer on a circular tight crosshair circle. I think this is what smog has been wishing for. The controls aren't true 1:1. It is more like a mouse. You need to remember you are guiding the crosshairs with the move.

I joined a suppression. A couple of gentle taps and I got my kill. The tactile experience was extremely satisfying. You can't compare hitting R1 or R2 with pulling the trigger. A few moments later I got my second kill. Then I sucked the rest of the game trying to manuever my characters. The navigator controls forward/reverse movements and left/right strafing. You turn by angling the move towards left/right or top/bottom. For the most part, the move has a dead where you can aim on the screen while maintaining the same point of view. Once you get to the edges, you begin to turn that way. I discovered that if you push L2 on the navigator with turning, you can accelerate your turn while maintaining the point of view. Its a nice trick not in KZ3. But KZ3 has tons of settings that you can customize the move. For example, there is option to create a very deadzone (think center box/rectangle) where you can freely aim in the box but any movement outside the box will cause a turn in that direction. I couldn't move as smoothly as I did with the ds controller. Camera movement was too slow and disorienting. I got nauseated with minutes that I had to quit and recover.

I will note that it gets tiring having the sharp shooter in the ready position with the butt against shoulder for hours. I read that some have found more success with the move and navigator without the sharp shooter. Reloading is cheesy immersive by cocking back the front part of the sharp shooter or slapping the bottom of the sharp shooter where the amno clip goes.

The sharp shooter is the one of the best peripherals that I come across (that is not a mad catz TE arcade stick or logitech g25/27 wheel). Great hardware but the software isn't there yet. I want to love playing the sharp shooter with socom. But I don't know if I can handle it. Perhaps you will have better luck. I suspect that with games like Time Crisis (fixed camera movement) I will have a blast using it.

I've been trying to hunt down a sharp shooter since kz3 launch. i passed up on it on midnight release and regret it ever since. its not rare but its hard to find. once a shipment gets in, they sell out quickly. hell, amazon has a waitlist of 1-4 weeks for one. i think theyre hoarding supply for full deployment editions of socom.

Advantage
no recoil/better stability/aim
highly immersive
red dot
laser targeting

Disadvantage
turn speed
awkward stabbing motion (Just like in KZ3, in a dogfight, if you get behind them or to their sides, you're golden).
tired

Last edited by a moderator:
good to hear smog. full deployment edition? its a great bundle because its all hardware. its harder to find discounts on hardware than software. i only wish that they would have thrown in the ps3 official headset. then youre guranteed to have more communication.

i didnt there were females in socom 4 (besides that killer terrorist). 44 looks like grace park (boomer on bsg or h 5-0). hot.

there are such deviations and variance in review scores, which means there isnt a major collective view on the game, dunno if thats a good thing or a bad thing, just puts more reliance on your take on the game.

see all you guys next week eh? is it gonna be the same schedule? sundays and mondays 9est?

[quote name='option.iv']I'll try... But I believe MK9 is coming out same time...

And I still haven't shook off the MvC3 cravings. I will try.[/QUOTE]

ive read too many of your tron slaughters.

[quote name='j-cart']Lame, no places around me are doing a mid-night launch.[/QUOTE]

What about Wal-Mart? That kind of coutns like a midnight launch right? :p

[quote name='option.iv']Looks like I'm ordering from Best Buy. They're going to have a $10 coupon and $30 off KZ3, GT5, or LBP 2. I guess I'll get that Killzone.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292094[/QUOTE]

Amazon didn't offer anything great, but mine had to come from there because of $30 coming back from Tiger Woods.

The broken dlc for Killzone is on our account. They are supposed to fix it with the next patch. GG released more dlc maps before the ones that came with the preorder were fixed. Pretty sad.

Haven't decided whether I'm ordering from Amazon or just going to Best Buy. I know I've been absent from games lately but I have a good excuse since I'm still recovering from surgery :D

I think I might try and swing getting the Full Deployment edition.

WRT review scores, I remember Confrontation didn't do too hot but I enjoyed playing with you guys.

[quote name='MisterBee']Anyone up for one last night of confrontation tonight?[/QUOTE]

I would but by confrontation disc is gone. can't seem to find it. I haven't stressed in finding it since...Socom 4 is so close to coming out.

[quote name='MisterBee']Anyone up for one last night of confrontation tonight?[/QUOTE]

I'm down for one last night of Confrontation.

Is there any talk of a CAG Socom 4 clan or outing? I'd be up for that. I apologize in advance if this is already in a thread somewhere else.

have you decide where to socom?

so far, all versions will have SU90-S Shotgun dlc gun in case. only gs has the exclusive dlc map.

amazon
$57.99 + no tax (except 3 states) + $10 gc + possible release date shipping

gamestop
$59.99 + tax + gs exclusive dlc + midnight launch

kmart
$59.99 + tax

special offer: buy $120 worth of games and get $15 game coupon + $45 game coupon
so you can buy socom 4 + portal 2 (or MK) + $20 psn /360 points card for $129.98 + tax + $15 game coupon + $45 game coupon
*note - game coupon expires in one month

bestbuy
$59.99 + tax + $ 10 gc

walmart
$59.99 + tax

sadly all the deals focused on the portal 2 hype. i suspect gamestop wouldn't be having most midnight launches without portal 2 or even mortal kombat releasing on the same night.

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']Is there any talk of a CAG Socom 4 clan or outing? I'd be up for that. I apologize in advance if this is already in a thread somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

With Confrontation we always did Sunday and Tuesday at 9pm eastern. On those two nights we would get a good size group together and mix it up between playing against each other and working as a squad against random match ups, but there were typically 4-5 of us that would play pretty much every night of the week until 12-2am. I would guess that we'll keep the two clan nights the same as confrontation.

Good games last night for the final Confrontation night. It is too bad that confrontation didn't have a better match making and party system, because the gameplay and maps in confrontation really were fun. I am glad Zipper did away with elimination so the final player can't camp out the draw.

I'm so ready for tomorrow night. I just hope the party or clan system is working

Since I never played a Socom game do you guys recommend me playing Socom 1-3 before 4? Just wondering if the stories (single player campaign) are connected some how.

Well guys I was up until 4am taking apart my PS3 to clean the laser. Got it all cleaned and now the disk wont spin. Its fitting that my PS3 died trying to play Confrontation one last time :(

Im gonna try and fix it before midnight, if not Mr B or Goldbug or someone will have to make the clan

[quote name='BxRob3']Since I never played a Socom game do you guys recommend me playing Socom 1-3 before 4? Just wondering if the stories (single player campaign) are connected some how.[/QUOTE]

I've never played anything but confrontation. It doesn't sound like the single player story had anything to do with any of the old games.

[quote name='smiggity']Well guys I was up until 4am taking apart my PS3 to clean the laser. Got it all cleaned and now the disk wont spin. Its fitting that my PS3 died trying to play Confrontation one last time :(

Im gonna try and fix it before midnight, if not Mr B or Goldbug or someone will have to make the clan[/QUOTE]

I'd take an officer position again, but I'll let Mr. B take care of creating the clan if you're unable to. I won't be able to get on until tomorrow evening after school and kids are in bed.

I just got my email from Amazon that it has shipped and will be delivers by fed ex tomorrow. I feel like a 8 year old on Christmas Eve. I can hardly stand it

Confrontation froze my PS3 one last time...

I wasn't able to get back on. Only game to ever freeze my PS3. The old one and the new one.

ME!

I going to have work off tomorrow!

Only problem is that my voice is gone, like I am a mute now. So don't expect me to saw much, or wonder why I'm not talking.

gamefly didnt ship the game out to me today, im a 3 1/2 year subscriber, had no games in my queue with s4 at the top of the list, and they gonna disrespect me like this? fuckin bastards. now i dunno when ima be able to sign on n play with you guys, it'll be a long while till gamefly sends me a copy now.

bread's done
Back